Generic name: alendronate sodium 70mg
Dosage form: tablet, effervescent
Medically reviewed on July 6, 2018.
Treatment of Osteoporosis in Postmenopausal Women
Treatment to Increase Bone Mass in Men With Osteoporosis
Important Administration Instructions
Instruct patients to do the following to assure adequate drug absorption and to decrease the risk of esophageal adverse reactions: Waiting less than 30 minutes, or taking BINOSTO with food, beverages (other than plain water) or other medications will lessen the effect of BINOSTO by decreasing its absorption into the body [see Drug Interactions (7.1)].
- Take BINOSTO upon arising for the day and at least 30 minutes before the first food, beverage, or medication of the day.
- Dissolve the effervescent tablet in 4 ounces room temperature plain water only (not mineral water or flavored water).
- Wait at least 5 minutes after the effervescence stops and then stir the solution for approximately 10 seconds and ingest.
- Avoid lying down for at least 30 minutes after taking BINOSTO and until after their first food of the day.
- Do not take BINOSTO at bedtime or before arising for the day.
- Failure to follow these instructions may increase the risk of esophageal adverse reactions [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
Recommendations for Calcium and Vitamin D Supplementation
Instruct patients to take supplemental calcium and vitamin D if dietary intake is inadequate [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2)]. Patients at increased risk for vitamin D insufficiency (e.g., over the age of 70 years, nursing home-bound, or chronically ill) may need vitamin D supplementation. Patients with gastrointestinal malabsorption syndromes may require higher doses of vitamin D supplementation and measurement of 25-hydroxyvitamin D should be considered.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Binosto (alendronate)
- Binosto Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Patient Tips
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: bisphosphonates
Other brands: Fosamax