Apriso (mesalamine) Disease Interactions
There are 2 disease interactions with Apriso (mesalamine):
Mesalamine (Includes Apriso) ↔ liver dysfunction
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applies to: Liver Disease
The use of mesalamine and other compounds which contain or are converted to mesalamine has been associated with hepatic adverse effects, including hepatic failure. Therapy with mesalamine and prodrugs of mesalamine should be administered cautiously in patients with impaired hepatic function or a history of liver disease. Liver function should be evaluated prior to initiation of therapy and periodically during therapy.
Mesalamine (Includes Apriso) ↔ renal dysfunction
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applies to: Renal Dysfunction
The use of mesalamine and other compounds which contain or are converted to mesalamine has rarely been associated with renal adverse effects, including minimal change nephropathy, acute and chronic interstitial nephritis, and nephrogenic diabetes insipidus. Renal lesions such as renal infarct, papillary necrosis, tubular necrosis and interstitial fibrosis have been reported in high-dose animal studies. Therapy with mesalamine and prodrugs of mesalamine should be administered cautiously in patients with impaired renal function or a history of renal disease. Renal function should be evaluated prior to initiation of therapy and periodically during therapy.
- "Product Information. Pentasa Product Information (mesalamine)." Hoechst Marion-Roussel Inc, Kansas City, MO.
- Novis BH, Korzets Z, Chen P, Bernheim J "Nephrotic syndrome after treatment with 5-aminosalicylic acid." Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 296 (1988): 1442
- Masson EA, Rhodes JM "Mesalazine associated nephrogenic diabetes insipidus presenting as weight loss." Gut 33 (1992): 563-4
- "Product Information. Dipentum (olsalazine)." Meda Pharmaceuticals, Somerset, NJ.
- Wilcox GM, Reynolds JR, Galvanek EG "Nephrotoxicity associated with olsalazine." Am J Med 100 (1996): 238-40
- "Product Information. Asacol product information (mesalamine)." Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Cincinnati, OH.
- "Product Information. Colazal (balsalazide)" Salix Pharmaceuticals, Palo Alto, CA.
- Thuluvath PJ, Ninkovic M, Calam J, Anderson M "Mesalazine induced interstitial nephritis." Gut 35 (1994): 1493-6
- Mehta RP "Acute interstitial nephritis due to 5-aminosalicylic acid." Can Med Assoc J 143 (1990): 1031-2
- "Product Information. Rowasa product information (mesalamine)." Solvay Pharmaceuticals Inc, Marietta, GA.
Apriso (mesalamine) drug interactions
There are 150 drug interactions with Apriso (mesalamine)
More about Apriso (mesalamine)
- Apriso Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 18 Reviews
- Drug class: 5-aminosalicylates
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No interaction information available.|
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.