Cetirizine Disease Interactions
There are 2 disease interactions with cetirizine:
Cetirizine (Includes cetirizine) ↔ alcohol
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applies to: Acute Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol should be avoided when using cetirizine, and some other antihistamines. Cetirizine may produce drowsiness that may be increase by the use of alcohol, sedatives and tranquilizers.
Cetirizine (Includes cetirizine) ↔ renal/liver disease
Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility. Applies to: Renal Dysfunction, Liver Disease
Cetirizine is eliminated primarily by the kidney but also undergoes metabolism in the liver to some extent. Patients with renal and/or liver disease may be at greater risk for adverse effects from cetirizine due to decreased drug clearance. The manufacturer recommends an initial dosage of 5 mg once daily in patients 6 years of age and older with decreased renal function (CrCl <= 30 mL/min, including those on hemodialysis) and/or impaired hepatic function. Cetirizine should preferably not be used in children less than 6 years of age with renal and/or hepatic impairment because of the difficulty in reliably administering doses smaller than 2.5 mg (1/2 teaspoonful) and a lack of pharmacokinetic and safety data in this population.
- Simons FE, Watson WT, Minuk GY, Simons KJ "Cetirizine pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in primary biliary cirrhosis." J Clin Pharmacol 33 (1993): 949-54
- "Product Information. Zyrtec (cetirizine)." Pfizer US Pharmaceuticals, New York, NY.
- Campoli-Richards DM, Buckley MM, Fitton A "Cetirizine. A review of its pharmacological properties and clinical potential in allergic rhinitis, pollen-induced asthma, and chronic urticaria." Drugs 40 (1990): 762-81
- Horsmans Y, Desager JP, Hulhoven R, Harvengt C "Single-dose pharmacokinetics of cetirizine in patients with chronic liver disease." J Clin Pharmacol 33 (1993): 929-32
- Matzke GR, Yeh J, Awni WM, Halstenson CE, Chung M "Pharmacokinetics of cetirizine in the elderly and patients with renal insufficiency." Ann Allergy 59 (1987): 25-30
- Awni WM, Yeh J, Halstenson CE, Opsahl JA, Chung M, Matzke GR "Effect of haemodialysis on the pharmacokinetics of cetirizine." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 38 (1990): 67-9
- Barnes CL, McKenzie CA, Webster KD, Poinsett-Holmes K "Cetirizine: a new, nonsedating antihistamine." Ann Pharmacother 27 (1993): 464-70
- Rihoux JP, Mariz S "Cetirizine. An updated review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy." Clin Rev Allergy 11 (1993): 65-88
Cetirizine drug interactions
There are 587 drug interactions with cetirizine
Cetirizine alcohol/food interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food interaction with cetirizine
More about cetirizine
- Cetirizine Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 169 Reviews
- Drug class: antihistamines
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.