Zyrtec (cetirizine) Disease Interactions
There are 2 disease interactions with Zyrtec (cetirizine):
Cetirizine (Includes Zyrtec) ↔ Alcohol
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility
Applies to: Acute Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol should be avoided when using cetirizine, and some other antihistamines. Cetirizine may produce drowsiness that may be increase by the use of alcohol, sedatives and tranquilizers.
Cetirizine (Includes Zyrtec) ↔ Renal/Liver Disease
Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility
Applies to: Renal Dysfunction, Liver Disease
Cetirizine is eliminated primarily by the kidney but also undergoes metabolism in the liver to some extent. Patients with renal and/or liver disease may be at greater risk for adverse effects from cetirizine due to decreased drug clearance. The manufacturer recommends an initial dosage of 5 mg once daily in patients 6 years of age and older with decreased renal function (CrCl <= 30 mL/min, including those on hemodialysis) and/or impaired hepatic function. Cetirizine should preferably not be used in children less than 6 years of age with renal and/or hepatic impairment because of the difficulty in reliably administering doses smaller than 2.5 mg (1/2 teaspoonful) and a lack of pharmacokinetic and safety data in this population.
- Simons FE, Watson WT, Minuk GY, Simons KJ "Cetirizine pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in primary biliary cirrhosis." J Clin Pharmacol 33 (1993): 949-54
- Horsmans Y, Desager JP, Hulhoven R, Harvengt C "Single-dose pharmacokinetics of cetirizine in patients with chronic liver disease." J Clin Pharmacol 33 (1993): 929-32
- Awni WM, Yeh J, Halstenson CE, Opsahl JA, Chung M, Matzke GR "Effect of haemodialysis on the pharmacokinetics of cetirizine." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 38 (1990): 67-9
- "Product Information. Zyrtec (cetirizine)." Pfizer US Pharmaceuticals, New York, NY.
- Rihoux JP, Mariz S "Cetirizine. An updated review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy." Clin Rev Allergy 11 (1993): 65-88
- Matzke GR, Yeh J, Awni WM, Halstenson CE, Chung M "Pharmacokinetics of cetirizine in the elderly and patients with renal insufficiency." Ann Allergy 59 (1987): 25-30
- Campoli-Richards DM, Buckley MM, Fitton A "Cetirizine. A review of its pharmacological properties and clinical potential in allergic rhinitis, pollen-induced asthma, and chronic urticaria." Drugs 40 (1990): 762-81
- Barnes CL, McKenzie CA, Webster KD, Poinsett-Holmes K "Cetirizine: a new, nonsedating antihistamine." Ann Pharmacother 27 (1993): 464-70
Zyrtec (cetirizine) drug Interactions
There are 577 drug interactions with Zyrtec (cetirizine)
Zyrtec (cetirizine) alcohol/food Interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food interaction with Zyrtec (cetirizine)
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Multum is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. Multum's information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Multum Information Services, Inc. does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. Copyright 2000-2018 Multum Information Services, Inc. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.