User Reviews for Ambien CR

Insomnia
6.5

Reviews for Ambien CR

Freddy J May 17, 2021

For Insomnia: “Can anyone provide insights on effectiveness of various manufacturers of zolpidem CR 12.5? I’m 56, male, long-term insomniac. Tried every single prescription, OTC, herbal known. I exercise, eat well, meditate, practice good sleep hygiene. Been responsibly taking Ambien CR 12.5mg for 20 years. It works. I don’t care about dependence, just like I wouldn’t care if “dependent” on a medication for high blood pressure The problem? 1) The cost is sky high for brand name and insurance company won’t cover it. 2) Generics are notoriously weak or completely ineffective for this medication in particular. Pharmacist says generics work the same, which is utter rubbish. They are without a doubt NOT the same. Qualitest worked fine for years but got bought by huge generic pharma makers which was end of that. My Q: Are there any generic makers of zolpidem CR 12.5 (or if actually works, could settle for zolpidem 10mg) that you’d recommend? If so, which manufacturer? Thank you.”

Marc P · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 5, 2020

For Insomnia: “Been on Ambien Cr generic for about a year. FINALLY getting good sleep. Falling and staying asleep. It’s not perfect every night but most nights it’s pretty good. No issues at all with it. Beware of Sandoz generic! Horrible and barely works. Thankfully was able to fill next months early with Winthrop”

RIC · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 13, 2020

For Insomnia: “I developed insomnia in my early thirties due to...well, sudden traumatic and stressful events and having to deal with the aftermath caused seemingly never ending sleepless nights. I’ve always been one to sleep too much so I didn’t really know how to deal with insomnia. When my doctor prescribed Ambien CR I was really wary because of all the horror stories I’ve heard. But it’s been wonderful and I’ve taken it for 4 years. Now, just to clarify, this review is for Ambien CR NOT straight Ambien. Regular Ambien gave me terrible hangovers the next day and a few times I did things I didn’t remember the next day. The CR never gave me any troubles, 6 hours and it was out of my system.”

Nightshift · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2019

For Insomnia: “I am a hard working healthcare nightshift worker, mother with 2 young kids. I have had to flip flop between days and nights for 8 years now to work and take care of kids. I have taken traditional ambien 10mg for a long time. I need something that works fast but wears off fast because my time window to sleep is not that long. Well, I tried ambien CR last night and will not be trying again. I thought it worked the same, just help me stay asleep maybe a little longer, nope! It hits you little by little just enough to make you a tad loopy but not enough to totally knock you out and that effect lasts longer. It is dangerous because I had to even mix my regular one to even be able to fall asleep. I know my limits with the regular ambien. Be very careful with ambien cr.”

Cz94 September 22, 2017

For Insomnia: “I've been on ambien CR for over 10 years, then all of a sudden the doctors want to change things up, tried 5 mg, didn't work, now on 6.25 and kind of working but only get 30 days worth and they keep telling me I have to get off it....why??? Don't screw with what works, now my anxiety is worse never knowing if I can get my meds to sleep....”

SleeplessNoMore · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2019

For Insomnia: “I have been suffering from insomnia for 3 years! Tried benzos, anti-depressants, melatonin, GABA, L-Tyrosine, and a bunch of other natural sleep aids. Due to the side effects I had from the benzos, I was very afraid to take Ambien. However, it has been a life-saver! And after reading a lot of the reviews I see if you actually suffer from insomnia and don't abuse it - IT WORKS! This has been a life-saver. I forgot how wonderful sleep is and I am no longer angry and constantly eating!”

Don Jose' · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 17, 2013

For Insomnia: “I was in my late 60's when I realized that I was having sleep issues. Tylenol PM no longer had any effect. I tried ALL the OTC sleep remedies for another 3 years, with no meaningful success. Two to four hours of sleep was getting old and aging me in the process. I finally got my G.P. to give me a prescription for Ambien and my world changed overnight. It was great, finally am getting 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours of continual, restful sleep, as long as I take an Ambien or Ambien CR. Have read tonnes of medical reports and am convinced this is a blessing. Sure, there are some weird side effects for some people, but these are a tiny minority.”

dpvwia · Taken for 10 years or more June 6, 2015

For Insomnia: “I've had chronic insomnia (clinical diagnosis, sleep studies, neurologists, etc.) for over 25 years, starting in high school and gradually getting worse over the decades. No drugs aside from powerful depressants (barbits, benzos, tranquilizers, etc.) had helped me at all. Ambien CR has been a miracle medication for me. My insomnia is so constant and severe (I literally won't sleep a single minute some nights) that my Dr lets me take it every night. Many people talk about the possible side-effects of long-term usage, but that ignores the very definite effects of chronic insomnia. I have no next-day side-effects, but I will have rebound insomnia if I stop. Taking with a glass of water helps for me; so does good sleep hygiene rules.”

finally sleeping in pittsburgh · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2013

For Insomnia: “Over 18 months, I had been taking non-extended release Ambien, starting out with five milligrams but quickly being switched up to ten. Eventually, as stress and other factors were preying more heavily on my tired brain, the ten began not to work, so I was nibbling away at up to half of another 10 milligram tablet after not falling asleep, or not staying asleep. Needless to say, that was not a good idea. Finally, last week, I saw my doctor about it, and now I'm on Ambien CR and I'm managing to fall asleep and stay asleep--and knocking on wood.”

Selena Aaliyah August 7, 2016

For Insomnia: “Terrible gettin to sleep and stayin sleep. 1st tried Melatonin, Did nothing. Was prescribed Ambien, helped me get to sleep but didn't help me stay asleep thru night. Was switch to AmbienCR12.5mg, Did exactly what I needed, helped me fall sleep and stay sleep, felt much better on those days that I needed it. Couple years ago dr told me they changed rules for Ambien for women cause all these people had weird reactions. Me- no issues with full 12.5mg. Highly upsets me, I was doing great on the reg dose. Was prescribed lower dose next refill, only lasted 3-4hrs sleep, def not good :( They should start a person off on the low dose, wean u up on individual basis, for proper treatment! As no 2 pts r alike, & each needs diff doses to work for them”

Ozmike · Taken for 10 years or more May 29, 2016

For Insomnia: “I have been a long-haul flight attendant for over 35 years and have used this drug since it's release. I find it EXTREMELY effective, with no side effects for me whatsoever. I will say that, like a lot of sleep aids and sleeping tablets, its' continued use does cause a psychological dependancy and the effectiveness of the drug becomes less and less. Therefore I would recommend not using the drug every night and alternating it with other sleep therapies.”

Jessicaxoxo April 4, 2015

For Insomnia: “This is the only thing that I have tried that helps me sleep a full 8 hours. I love this medication. I have had no sleep walking and I have not done anything that I can't remember. The only side effects I have had are just feeling a little tired during the day and increased appetite. I would definitely recommend this medication to people with insomnia.”

Going broke March 24, 2013

For Insomnia: “Been taking this for years. The only thing that has worked for me. I can stay up all night without it. I have learned you have to go to bed hungry, that way it has nothing to compete with in your stomach. No side affects the next morning. Get about 4 to 5 hrs now which is good for me. Now if my insurance would pay for this! Just got new insurance this year and they consider this a tier 4 medication. Don't know which is worse. Going broke or not getting any sleep.”

tacdt23 · Taken for 10 years or more July 31, 2021

For Insomnia: “I have used Ambien on and off for years for travel, work, etc. Sleeping pills are handy for me on occasion, but I have to be very careful not to take them on a regular basis. If I take Ambien consecutively more than 3 nights, then my brain no longer shuts down by itself. Then the impulse is to keep taking it and that's when troubles set in: the medicine gives me around 5 hours of sleep, and I don't feel fully rested as I really need 7, but yet since my brain can't shut down naturally anymore, I just feel sleep deprived during the day. I even had migraines when I was chronically sleep deprived on Ambien. Going off of Ambien depends on the formulation. With CR, it takes a long 4-5 days walking around like a useless zombie before my brain finally falls asleep naturally. Those withdrawal symptoms are not for the faint hearted and honestly a stark reminder why I do not take Ambien regularly. It is still a good tool to use sparingly and judiciously, but it is all there is to me.”

gwpeaks · Taken for less than 1 month May 21, 2020

For Insomnia: “This drug should NEVER be prescribed regardless of whether it works for some people. I took this for 14 days simply to try and sleep better. All of my adult life I've had anxiety and occasional panic attacks but never a chronic issue. A doc prescribed me Ativan for the same issue and I took it for over a year but was able to wean off fine. Other than that I took no meds and was perfectly happy and healthy prior to taking Ambien. On day 14 of Ambien CR I developed EXTREME anxiety so I stopped taking it. 9 days later it has almost not improved at all. I'm praying this is just an extreme reaction and will go away over time. My opinion of this drug is that it does things that no one truly understands and way too many horror stories come with it. This drug should be BANNED.”

Anonymous March 7, 2008

For Insomnia: “I have been taking Ambien for several years, and recently started taking Ambien CR. It works very well, if taken on an empty stomach. However, I was having only mild sleep difficulty when my doctor prescribed it. I have tried other sleep medicines, Ambien is one of the strongest prescription insomnia drugs available. I highly recommend trying something with less side effects first, and only if absolutely necessary, try Ambien. Ambien is very difficult to discontinue after extended use.”

Comet · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 31, 2018

For Insomnia: “I have sleep maintenance problems - I fall asleep right away but many times wake up after 4 hours and find it very difficult and frustrating to fall asleep again . Ambien CR is really helpful - it extends my sleep time from 4 to 7 hours. I am 64 years old and have been taking the 6.25 mg pill on and off for the last 2 years with no need to change for the higher dosage. I report from Israel. I am insured by Maccabi health services and since I have a premium coverage it costs 50% of the official MOH recommended maximum price list.”

36 yr old woman · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2013

For Insomnia: “Took it for a week. Slept fine a couple of nights. Felt like a heavy, drugged sleep. Didn't do anything a couple of nights. Stopped taking it after I woke up finding myself standing up at the end of the bed swinging my arms around to get rid of imaginary parrots I heard in the bedroom.”

Adidas · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2018

For Insomnia: “Over a period of time my doc prescribed me a whole list of medications to see what one worked the most. Right now I'm on ambien CR and just like most others I had tried, it worked the first few nights. Now when I take it I'm wide awake for 5 to 6 hours and then I'll end up sleeping all day the next day.”

Anonymous June 11, 2012

For Insomnia: “After using Lunesta for a couple of years the effect began diminishing. My doctor prescribed Ambien CR. It has worked perfectly for my chronic insomnia. I have experienced the memory loss. Several times I have sent emails and when I get replies I do not have any memories of what I wrote or of sending the email. But I did get very deep sleep, so I learned to stay off the computer after taking a pill.”

OTCMedsWorkBetter4Me · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2018

For Insomnia: “My doctor prescribed Zolpidem Tartate 10mg and I gave it a real honest shot for a little over a week. It did a good job a initially getting me to sleep, but after about an hour I would wake up and be in a state of half sleep/half wake the rest of the night (totally exhausted the next day). I remember one day I was in a meeting with my manager talking about filing emails (super simple discussion) and suddenly numbers and formulas were flying around my head like you see in those TV shows (Numbers, or the Librarians) where a person is solving complex formulas in their head. Except we were just talking about filing emails and I couldn't get rid of all these numbers & equations that were swimming in my vision! It was super distracting, and I feel like it was definitely a hallucination, but not neccessary a crazy one, just a bit out of place. I stopped taking it after that week. I occasionally switch between it and OTC if I need something, but I really don't find it helpful for restful sleep.”

Dewey03894 December 12, 2017

For Insomnia: “Took this drug for about 4 years, the 12.5 mg dosage. I had always been a chronic insomniac and had tried everything, including regular Ambien (not the CR), none of which worked reliably. When I first started CR it worked well for about a year, but then not only was it only effective about every 3rd day. It nearly killed me, literally. Some horrible side effects : chronic fatigue; splitting temporal lobe headaches (left side of head near temples); sporadic, frequent pain behind my left eye; rapid weight loss (45 ponds, was 210, ended up 165 at 6' tall); muscular pain all over, serious depression, nightmares, dry eye and blurriness; and the feeling I was dying quickly. I stopped cold turkey and in 3 days ALL my symptoms were gone!!”

Huskey48 April 17, 2011

For Insomnia: “I have been taken Ambien CR now for over 10 years, at first if I stayed up I would do things and not remember doing them. Then I made myself to go to bed right after taking one and it had put me right to sleep. Sleep to 7 to 8 hours per night. It is a good medicine but take it 10 mins before going to bed and then go right to bed don't stay up.”

a real live wire August 9, 2013

For Insomnia: “Ambien CR is my most recent attempt to circumvent my chronic insomnia. After taking it I go directly to bed. It typically takes an hour or more to have any affect. I will get 2-3 hours of restful slumber before I wake. Going back to Klonopin & Lunesta.”

Howie Vegas · Taken for 10 years or more November 28, 2015

For Insomnia: “I have Insomnia due the past 10 years and have been using Zolpidem (Ambien's generic) 10 mg. I find that it take me anywhere from 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours before I am ready to lie down. When I finally go to bed I will sleep anywhere from 8-10 hours and wake up refreshed.”