User Reviews for Ziconotide to treat Chronic Pain

Also known as: Prialt

Ziconotide has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Chronic Pain. 30% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Ziconotide Rating Summary

4.9/10 average rating

Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Ziconotide

Mima · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 16, 2020

Prialt (ziconotide): “I have had 3 different Medtronic pumps over the years. In April 2016 I had a new pump implanted and filled with Prialt. Immediately my gait was affected but the 3 years I had it, I suffered severe memory loss, renal problems, blurry vision, hoarse voice, confusion, slow thyroid, music in my head, I had to quit driving because I would forget where I was or where I was going. I would fixate on a thought or issue and no amount of facts would change my mind. Tremors/seizure but no loss of consciousness, headaches. I think I had 75% of known side effects. I had the Prialt removed in April 2019. After about 4 weeks the side effects began to subside. I still have the memory loss, the pain in my arms and legs tho, my ears ring but no music, occasionally I have tremors. Prialt did tame my pain but what the side effects did to me is nothat worth it.”

Changed My Life · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 30, 2019

Prialt (ziconotide): “I received a pain pump in 2003 after multiple back surgeries left me in chronic pain. After 14 years of cycling through various opiates and feeling like I was sleepwalking through life, my doctor suggested Prialt. It took about a year slowly lower my fentanyl and increase the Prialt, but it was worth it. The only way I can describe it is I woke up! The pain relief I get is almost as good as with the meds I had in my pump, without the side effects. And, I can now poo normally!! (If you’ve had to take opiates for an extended period you can appreciate that) I know not everyone has had the same experience I have. Chronic pain sucks and everyone responds differently to meds, but I hope everyone find relief.”

Sparky · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2019

Prialt (ziconotide): “My back had been very painful. I had a pain stimulator which didn’t do a thing and a couple of surgeries. My back wasn’t getting any better. My back only hurt when I was upright. If I were sitting or lying I had no pain. After 15-20 minutes of doing anything that invoked me standing, forget it. I was referred to Dr. Juan Garcia. Under his care, I tried every opioid known to mankind in my pump and each one caused terrible itching. It would start at 15-20 minutes after bolus and last 45 minutes to 1 hour afterwards. We switched to Prialt is very small quantities only increasing in small amounts. After about four mouths I was not getting any relief at all. I was switched to continuous flow with bolus as needed. And miracle of all miracles, by George, I think we got it! No pain at all for two weeks. And so far, no side effects are seen. I’ve read every article I can find on Prialt and the cone snail. He’s an amazing little fellow. Just don’t mess with him!”

Stillinpain · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2020

Prialt (ziconotide): “I started Prialt in August 2020 with the pump, was just taken off of a narcotic through the pump. I went into withdrawals for a month, got a little better. Then I started walking funny, kept forgetting stuff, heard people talking that wasn't there, eyesight had dropped about half, I sit in the house alone staring at the walls. And here 4 months later still like this, I demanded that they cut it in half. I do feel a little better, but next week turning it off. I NEED MY LIFE BACK”

Kgrevenstuk · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 29, 2020

Prialt (ziconotide): “After trying everything in my pump, we tried prialt. It was eventually a very good pain killer. But then, I started having dizziness, unsteadiness. Memory issues. I couldn’t remember anything. Cognitive impairment. I was so scared, I thought I had Alzheimer’s which my mom died of...it was so scared, I’ve told my pain specialist and he turned the pump down a little. It helped with the shaking. I’m going to insist it comes out!”

Bad Juice · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2016

Prialt (ziconotide): “Had Prialt in my naive pump for less than 8 hours and had a major allergic reaction. My dr had to remove the Prialt from my pump & catheter and rinse & flush with saline. I was nervous about getting this med due to all the negative reviews online. Wish I had never tried it. This was a bad experience.”

Scott · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2019

“I have been on Prialt now for 5 months and it's amazing. Better than Morphine or Fentanyl easily. I cant believe how well it works for pain. I am still shocked at the life it gave back to me. The side effects can be bad but it depends on you. My complaint is the blurred vision. I need to wear glasses now BUT Ill take it over being crippled from the pain. Being able to walk without a cane or assistance is amazing. Sleeping instead of being kept up by constant spinal pain. It took months to get the right dose since we started out at 1.5 rate. I am only at 2.5 and its more relief than I ever got from any other drug, oral or in the pump”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 17, 2016

Prialt (ziconotide): “I have prialt in a pump, it seems to help. one thing I noticed on the side effects were sneezing. it seems like since I have had the prialt I have not sneezed.do you think that it reversed with me? the reason I think that it is the prialt is that my pump recently quit working. after about 1 day later I started sneezing.”

Lyn · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2020

Prialt (ziconotide): “My Dr added Prialt to my pain pump in October 2020. Within a week I started to show side effects, my stomach bloated up, I had nausea, diarrhea, headaches, dizziness, blurry eyes, mucus in my throat, burning sensation throughout my body. Then I started experiencing memory loss & confusion. Along with GI problems, I began to vomit blood. I was hospitalized for severe gastritis, ulcers & GI bleed. But the didn’t understand why I was getting the other symptoms? They prescribed me some meds for my stomach but I continued to get more sick. I couldn’t eat or sleep. Finally in December 2020 my Prialt was removed & within a couple days I felt so much better. Most of my symptoms have went away. Still having memory problems & some stomach issues. My advice is to do your research. Ask yourself “what conditions do I have?” What medications am I on?” Get as much info as you can.”

HISservant · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 2, 2020

“Ready to Stop using Prialt (ziconotide) after 1 1/2 years of use. Can't increase dosage without serious concentration and task debilitation. Does not resolve my pain, too expensive out of pocket and causes additional mental/emotional degradation. I can't justify this drug in my case. I now know what Alzheimer suffers must endure.”