User Reviews for Trifluoperazine to treat Schizophrenia

Trifluoperazine has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Schizophrenia. 80% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Trifluoperazine Rating Summary

8.2/10 average rating

Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Trifluoperazine

Milky · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2021

“Surprisingly, an old typical antipsychotic trifluoperazine works well for my negative symptoms of schizophrenia, like avolition and anhedonia, also depression. I couldn't find any info about its effect on negative symptoms. Looks like many drugs are understudied and can have effects not listed by manufacturers. Trifluoperazine is really a hidden gem for me. My doctor warned me about possible serious side-effects, but at a low dose I seem okay. There were other antipsychotics that helped me with negative symptoms, but trifluoperazine is the cheapest in my country and it does not cause noticeable side-effects.”

Concern Parent November 9, 2011

Stelazine (trifluoperazine): “Out of all the medications my son uses, this is very helpful. To my surprise this medication is discontinued in the USA and overseas. This is a very old medication and works wonderful to help my son carry out a normal life for himself. Please let us all vote and have this medication back in the pharmacy. Thank you. ”

The Husband from Australia November 15, 2016

Stelazine (trifluoperazine): “My wife used this, initially higher dose and then 1 mg for life, works wonderful till she stop using it and she relapsed. Now she is on another medication, very popular but not for everyone. Will ask Dr. to consider putting her back to stelazine. Yes I do not know why stelazine is not popular now, with a low dose the side effect is almost negligible and the person can resume almost normal life as compared to the side effect of the newer and popular drug.”

Carl 5000 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 8, 2016

“I have been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and at first was given haldol. Haldol stopped the hallucinations but also made me gain weight. About 5lbs a month. I switched to Stelazine, called Trifluoperazine in its generic form, and everything has been good. I take 2mg daily and 1mg cogentin to counteract side effects. I also take 50mg Seroquel for sleep. Now different medicines may work different for different people. But I had to share my experience and I hope this information can help you.”

Ganya Adling · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 12, 2017

“I am on trifluoperazine on and off for about 7 yrs . It does have a positive effect but side effects are making me miserable. I can't functioning properly.I got movement disorders , restless legs from this. I've been through this chemical torture for about 7 yrs. I also tried olanazapine , all typicals ,benzos and beta blockers .It is very strong drug and impossible to come off from this but I made it and my new psychiatrist prescribed me amisulpride . That's was life changing and amisulpride completely cured me now I am drug free. Thanks ”

Anonymous January 11, 2009

Stelazine (trifluoperazine): “This medication saved my life. I had allergic reactions to some medications and was afraid that I would never find something to help me.”

Jadey66 November 25, 2017

“Works great and better than the new antipsychotics. Helps my anxiety a lot. Very strong medicine. Only thing I hate about it is when I went back on it I gained 15 pounds in a week. :*(”

Stamp · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2019

“Akastasia at a higher dosage.”

Pickles · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 1, 2019

“Once you get to trifluoperazine 10mg, you begin to experience inner restlessness. My legs are restless. My muscles in my back and neck feel rigid and stiff and so far cogentin isn't helping @ 2mg.”

Jonny1973 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2015

“I take 10mg a day with no side effects. It keeps my mood stable for the most part but I have had some mania bleed through. On it because it is weight neutral.”

Learn more about Schizophrenia