User Reviews for Brilinta to treat Heart Attack

Brilinta has an average rating of 3.0 out of 10 from a total of 16 ratings for the treatment of Heart Attack. 6% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 75% reported a negative effect.

Brilinta Rating Summary

3.0/10 average rating

Compare all 96 medications used in the treatment of Heart Attack.

Reviews for Brilinta

Another Time · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 12, 2019

“I've been on Brilinta for 7 months and am seeing the Doctor tomorrow to demand I be taken off of it, after another visit to the ER today. I had a stent put in 7 months ago and have been on 90 Mg twice a day. Side effects are atrocious. Swelling in legs and arms, disturbed sleep, fatigued so greatly I have to just...rest... I particularly feel it in my legs and back of thighs. Stiffness when I awake. The fatigue is extreme. What I find disturbing is I report the pain, the swelling and exceptional fatigue and I am told "your medication wouldn't cause that", yet when one reads the side effects and these reviews there it is. We often hear of side effects and think "well it happens to a minority of people", but with Brilinta I'm convinced it is a majority who experience unacceptable side effects. If I can't spent time with family, can't work properly and get poor sleep...those are things that stress you to have another heart attack surely.”

DC · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2019

“I had a heart attack last Wednesday 7-31 and after having a stent placed I was started on Brilinta. So far I’m not happy with this drug. I am totally fine during the day, but in the middle of the night while sleeping I get woke up with severe shortness of breath. It takes about an hour plus for me to feel better. But now I wake up exhausted due to little sleep. I have been on plavix in the past and it worked fine only thing I had was bruising and I’d rather have that over not being able to catch my breath.”

Too young for all of this... December 31, 2019

“HA with one stent in LAD and was prescribed Metoprolol and Brilinta. A week later the side effects all kicked in: shooting chest pains, racing heart, chest/arms/legs tingling, jitteriness and anxiety. I felt like I was having another HA so spent the weekend in the ER where they didn't find anything wrong. My GP prescribed anxiety meds which provided some helped a bit. After a month of complaining to my cardiologist, they finally took me off of metoprolol and the anxiety, jitters and racing heart rate went away. I was still getting chest pains, shortness of breath, and was feeling nauseous. Another month and I convinced my Dr to switch from Brilinta to Effient and the remaining side effects went away. I'm finally starting to feel normal. Not all Drs are open to modifying patients meds which can be a real issue if you are experiencing negative side effects so please advocate for yourself.”

Bumblebee46 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 15, 2020

“I had a Mild heart attack with stents fitted. I took Brilinta for 7 months and reported the shortness of breath on various occasions. Eventually I insisted I was taken off. 3 months on I have now been suffering really bad anxiety attacks which of course includes shortness of breath. I am fully convinced this is as a direct result of being on this medication.”

Nano · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 9, 2020

“Just finished my last dose of Brilinta. Was on the medication for 12 months related to Stent and CABGx4 (August 2019). Noticed bruising which is a known side effect of the medication. Gum bleeding only when brushing and would easily stop. Recommend an ultra soft toothbrush. Someone mentioned arm and leg pain in another review, I have some of that pain/feelings but not to the level that I would compare it to MS. What may be the difference for me is that I followed my recovery protocol seriously by maintaining a healthy diet, exercise, and strict adherence to my meds and maintaining my glucose for my diabetes to an A1c of 5.1.”

Judi · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2019

“I was prescribed brilinta sfter having stent put in. I started having severe shortness of breath within day's. Kept going downhill... Could not walk 20 ft. Without gasping for breath!!!! Doctor seemed unconcerned... I stopped taking it 4 days ago and feel like myself again and can breathe! Taking aspirin and acv Have check-up tomorrow and will let all know! I told them it was so bad but heart doc would not accept it was meds!”

BB · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2019

“I've been on Brilinta since December 27, 2018 it seems as though my breathing is getting worse by the day. Feel like I'll could just stop and not inhale, 39 year smoker. Now stopped on that date after heart attack and stent. What to do? Says I need to be on it for a year”

Mar · Taken for less than 1 month April 14, 2019

“I had terrible side effects from this drug Brilinta. Aside from feeling exhausted I was unable to breath and was gasping for breathe. I felt sluggish and tired all of the time. I could not take a deep breath. It felt like asthma. After a month of being switched to prasurgel (effient) I felt much better and more normal.”

Layla · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2020

“Had a heart attack 3 weeks ago and feel like I am going crazy! I am constantly short of breath and my anxiety levels are off the charts. I can barely sleep and if I do doze off I jerk awake feeling like I am being choked. My doctor said he will switch me to Plavix next month. This medication should be reviewed again too dangerous!”

billmmanley · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 3, 2020

“I took this drug for eight months. After a month I experienced regular nose bleeds, headaches, high degree of bruising, extreme difficulty urinating. Things got so bad, that if I sneezed, my nose would start bleeding. After eight months, my cardiologist switched me to clopidogrel. Within two weeks, all these side effects went away. The only down side is that I can't eat grapefruit. I do not recommend this drug at all. In addition, it costs over $400 per month verses $7.50 for clopidogrel.”

Jotdog · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2021

“After 3 months on a Statin with many side effects attributed to the Statin, I began experiencing an increasing shortness of breath. It became so difficult to breath and it cause irregular heart rhythms. 3 times to emergency where when I said I thought it was a side effect I was told, not a known side effect. When Cardioligist finally called, said "Brilinta known to cause shortness of breath will switch you over to Plavix." This drug is causing some side effects and hopefully I can live with them until I am no longer in need, about another 6 months.”

Barneyfife April 5, 2020

“Taking Brilinta now legs, back and arms all sore and don’t function well. I feel as though I have M.S. can’t walk without pain and even lying in bed pain persists. I have plavix but was switch because of possible hives. What do I do”

Diana · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 26, 2021

“After suffering a widow maker heart attack in October 2020 I was put on ticagrelor twice daily with dispersible aspirin. Sometimes I feel I have to gulp for air and I cannot sleep for long periods, waking two or three times during the night. The most distressing side effects for me is the painful heavy bruising. I checked this morning and I have total of 15 bruises. They are all really painful with red swollen lumps in the center. My cardiologist has insisted that I remain on this medication to prevent another serious heart attack.”

carolinthegarden · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 29, 2021

“After a month taking Brilinta I was so short of breath that even bending over caused me to huff and puff. I thought I had heart failure and went to the ER. This is a very costly medication with many side effects, the shortness of breath being common! I should have been alerted about that common problem when the drug was prescribed! I paid $ 340 for another month's supply and now am stuck with the unopened container. Plavix appears to have many less side effects and is cheap compared to this new drug. My Rx has been changed to Plavix.”

Joy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2018

“Hemorrhaging. I had to have a blood transfusion. I could have died!”

Whenna · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 8, 2020

“Shortness of breath, could not sleep ,headache ,muscle cramp on my legs”

Sally crow · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 23, 2020

“Put on Brilinta and now my nose bleeds and I spit up blood. I took myself off. I felt like I was going to explode. Got something going on now with lung. Plavix is so much better.”

Hella July 7, 2021

“I have 4 stents and the Brilinta is the worse med - I will not take it anymore. The shortness of breath is absolutely horrible. Getting out of bed is a chore. This stuff should be off the market”

Learn more about Heart Attack