User Reviews for Teriparatide

Osteoporosis
5.8

Summary of Teriparatide reviews 6.0 81 reviews

Reviews for Teriparatide

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "With a -4.1 t score of the spine at age 50, I started forteo injections. By the 4th day, I was vomiting and had constant palpitations. I tried every other day with no change, so had to stop altogether. My endocrinologist wants me to try tymlos. Very similar drug but hopefully will have less side effects for me."

Rgibones June 17, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "The injections did not bother me, painless and easy. I had broken vertebrae and broken leg, was given Forteo as a last resort. After a few weeks my hair fell out by the handfuls. I was devastated , as I had been so excited with the thought of getting my bones healthy again. But after 2 months of using the drug I took myself off of it. The cost of the drug was not an issue for me, but the cost of losing all my hair was too much to handle. I will discuss this issue with my doctor on the 26th. Good luck to everyone battling the same issue."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I had the 2nd dose of Forteo and had pain at injection site increasing in severity days 2-17; injections stopped after day 17 due to severity of reactions. I developed pancreatitis, ulcer, acid reflux, constipation, vertigo. Another side effect I had was welts. On day 3, I developed a welt behind my ear. Day 4, a small welt at injection site, which grew in size. Developed welts all over my back which were highly painful and sensitive to any touch/stimulus. Along with welts, I began to develop hives all over my arms and trunk. Months later, even though the injections had stopped, I still had those reactions, even while on a variety of different, prescribed, hive remedies. Was diagnosed with chronic urticaria in April 2016, and am now on Levocetirizine - 2 pills/2x per day. Have tried tapering off, but have rash outbreaks within 2-5 days. Also had chronic joint pain which has not gone away. Taking this drug caused worse results than Fosamax, Boniva & several other meds that had to be discontinued because of severe muscle/joint pain."

Nanette May 31, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "Been on forteo for 13 months, been through leg cramps, severe stomach growth, have depression sometimes but drug does work. Broke 13 vertabrae last year and bones are getting stronger. Now I have hot flashes, bad acid reflux and severe GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) I can't concur with specialists help. Is forteo worth the side effects? It depends on your willpower, determination and looking forward to have a better quality of life after injections are over."

Bingi May 23, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "Been taking Forteo since December. I'm in so much pain haven't been able to walk in 2 weeks, I'm very depressed, my hair is coming out in handfuls. Forteo is making my life worse."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I have been on Forteo for 5 months and was dexa showed at my age of 48yrs old that my spine was -3.5 so they put me on this medication. I’ve noticed aches in my bones-legs, ankles, knees and feet but the biggest side effect is all my hair has stopped growing and us falling out. I will take a broken bone any day. Stopping this medication ASAP!!!!"

DG May 13, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "Took Forteo for 2 years and my dexa scan is worse. Not sure if it's worth taking Prolia. Totally not happy"

Dissastified April 12, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I was on this medication for 1 year. My physician prescribed due to my -4 Osteoporosis trying to make sure I wouldn't break a hip. No instead my teeth are falling out of my head. I would of taken my chances of a broke a hip. Please someone make this company own up to the facts. It sucked the calcium out of my teeth and jaws"

Jeanne April 11, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I took Forteo for 2 years, initially I thought I had avoided side affects, it took about 6 months for them to show up. I started to have flu like symptoms a few times a week that would last 3 to 4 hours generally in the afternoon. I would feel fevered, my throat would be sore with visibly redlines and would be very low energy. This lasted the remainder of the 2 years without any doctor recognizing the cause. Additionally in the last year I developed acid reflux which I had never had before. And after all that did not show much improvement in my osteoporosis. Definitely do not recommend it."

LAM (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 18, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I started on Forteo Jan 2018, 4 days into the injections I started hurting all over. My ankles, feet, legs, knees, on up the body. Keeping me up at night, during the day at work I'm miserable. I'm hoping this comes to a stop soon!"

staylor (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I been taking at 13 months and have trouble to take a deep breathing, I have at about a year. I have been to every doc and everything is ok. I've even had a valve op still have trouble."

misveda (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "Second time on this website updating you all on my Forteo experience .Going on my second year now still have stomach weight gain my doctor says has nothing to do with Forteo. I exercise every day, diet consists of water , a hand full of cheerios am, no lunch, 1/2 salad pm, thats it! I'm a male 58 years old. My Dr. wrong all day long. My stomach weight gain wont stop ,they wont acknowledge your side effect unless its on lillys “list” period. Got depression , cramps , weight gain, etc but Prescribing Dr. can’t or just won't acknowledge anything. Forteo does its job though."

Bingi (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 15, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I used Foreto for 8 mths. I had severe side effects. I'm losing my teeth. Terrible joint & bone pain. I would of rather cracked a hip then my jaws & teeth"

Collom1 February 15, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I have had the leg pain and I am losing hair. Stomach seems swollen and has increased in size. Have not had a bone scan yet... insurance will only pay for one a year...in July 2017 it was -3.4. Was in extreme pain because of L-3,4,5, and S-1 spinal deterioration. Had a spinal block in Sept 2017 and it did not seem to work. Started Forteo also in Sept. Then Nov. 1st my pain stopped. Don't know if the block started working or the Forteo had something to do with this. I have received help paying for this drug from CVS."

Sandy # 22 February 9, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "After completion of injections and getting a scan, my bone density did increase quite a bit. However, within 3 years, they reverted right back to where they were before the Forteo - even worse. I wouldn't recommend it for that reason."

TamBab February 8, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "Due to early onset of osteoporosis (I am 55) I decided to try Forteo at my GYN’s recommendation. My bone density tests were -4 in the lower back and wrist. It is very easy to use if you don’t mind daily injections and it is pretty much painless. Insurance covered all but $4.00 with an Eli-Lily sponsored prescription discount card given to me by the doctor prescribing it. However I didn’t make it past six months on Forteo due to severe lower leg pain. Pain was severe enough that I had to quit. I also had an extreme hair loss that started 3 months in. Might try Prolia next. Good luck to all."

Forteodropout (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "6 months on forteo, kypoplasty every 6 weeks for 5 months, male 58 yrs old, only side effect stomach grew from 32 inch waist to 36 inch waist and climbing, back vertebrae breaks slowing down so forteo doing its job successfully!"

Bingi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 6, 2017

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "Brittle nails, but seems to have controlled constant stress fractures. Early days yet. On the PBS in Oz so inexpensive."

AdieMusic October 6, 2017

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "After one injection, 20 minutes later I was dizzy, nauseous and overall yucky. 4 hrs post injection my acid reflux was so bad, I could not sleep laying down. Next day have had such horrible diarrhea, I am down 3 pounds since the morning. I am not going to take another shot until all this subsides."

Darlink September 8, 2017

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I experienced all of the above including thinning hair & immediate memory loss, it also effected my over all disposition and gave me what I didn't realize until after terminating my use extreme confusion/depression and extreme fatigue. Over all depression lifted a few months later and I was amazed at how my out-look brightened. This treatment definitely has a psychological effect that is not truly recognized. Density went from -2.8 to -2.7. More effects probably over shadowed by the more noticeable ones. Do not recommend this drug to anyone the side effects and effort to use are not worth the extremely small gain. Lost almost 2 years of my life due to my depressive fatigued state. At 68 I would like to have them back."

dsmo456 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 2, 2017

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I was prescribed Forteo because of early-onset osteoporosis Plus a rare hereditary bone density disorder called Osteogenesis Imperfecta (O.I./brittle bone disease). At time prescribed, I had a seriously broken arm that DR said would take "a long time to heal", but the Forteo sped up the process as predicted. I've only taken Forteo 2 or 3 months but haven't had another fracture. If you don't have fantastic presciption insurance then you need to skip Forteo because it costs appx. $3500+ per month/per pen and that's obviously well above 95% of people's budget! The med was easy to use and to inject. I felt very little to no discomfort. Don't be intimidated by the glucose- blood-test-sized-ultra-tiny needles."

AtlAmanda (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2017

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I have only been on Forteo for 2.5 months and have been feeling nauseated, tired and depressed. I have bumps growing on two of my fingers. I have osteoarthritis in my family but never had these bumps before starting this drug. I can tolerate the nausea, low energy and impact on my sleep. I am worried about escalating symptoms of osteoarthritis and depression. The depression is making things far worse. I have broken my foot bones 4 times, and an arm once. I have been told to seek out homeopathic solutions in lieu of pharmaceuticals. Chelation, elderberry, increased K2 and calcium supplements would be my only alternative. Anyone have success with any of these?"

62 years old (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I am 64 and diagnosed with severe osteoporosis 6 months ago. I began Forteo 3 months ago. Before taking the Forteo I had 7 fractured discs 5 were compression fractures from the osteoporosis. I had already broken a wrist, fingers and several toes. 6 months ago I broke 8 ribs in a car accident. Now two weeks ago I had a fall and was certain from the level of pain that I had broken my arm the ER seemed to think so until the ex-rays came back. Severe bruising, sprain, strain. I am certain that I would have broken a bone in that fall had it not been for the Forteo.The jury is still out I have some side effects, bone aching, occasional stomach ache but nothing that I can't deal with. I have also noted an increase in my height. Plan to continue."

Debra R (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2017

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I just started my Forteo. I am 49 yrs old. I have hashimoto Thyroiditis, auto immune hepatitis, auto immune pituitary disease and rheumatoid arthritis. Also asthma from childhood. I've been on steroids every day for 7 years as well as other immunosuppressive drugs. I have osteoporosis of lumbar spine which I have been treated by pain management doc because orthopedic changes significant and orthopedic unable to help. Rheumatologist reinforced necessity of treatment since there is no end to need for steroids in the future. Shots easy to give.... simple step by step guide to assist at first. Knock on wood....no major negative effects at this point. Too early to know much but am very hopeful."

just starting June 30, 2017

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I'm a 56 year old female. I started on Forteo March 2016 with 3 vertebral fractures. My t-score was -5.6. According to my Endocrinologist I have had a 40 percent improvement in 12 months. My scan in March 2017 showed t-score -4.0. I have also been taking vitamin D3, hormone patches for menopause but most interestingly also vitamin K2 (one tablet a day since starting Forteo) I urge everyone to talk to their doctor and also google the research done on K2. In my opinion maybe Forteo and K2 work well in conjunction with each other. My Endocrinologist said that if my gains were that significant in the next 12 months I will be in the osteopenia range. If I could I would like to stay on Forteo for 3 years but not sure about government regulations"

Cheese cake June 9, 2017