User Reviews for Teriparatide systemic

Osteoporosis
5.7

Summary of Teriparatide reviews 5.8 95 reviews

Reviews for Teriparatide

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I used forteo for 3 months and had to stop due to the exorbitantly high copay. I lost my teeth, and also had 2 vertebrae collapse. Fortunately surgeons were able to do a kyphoplasty successfully and I am still walking. As forteo, I really can’t say if it was beneficial or not. I do know the costs are outrageous. Inhumane !"

cunucu (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "After years of ignoring early onset osteoporosis, ending up with the bones of a 100 yr old woman, I had a bad fall that resulted in a broken hip in 2014. After a rod and pins were put in, my surgeon got me started on Forteo as it stimulates bone growth rather than saving bone (I had almost no bone density left). I have to say the difference I saw in my x-rays in 3 months was amazing. However I did experience major hair loss, developed GERD and loss of teeth. I've not taken Forteo since due to financial issues and the side effects mentioned but the results for the months I was on it were incredible and sometimes I wish I could afford it again."

Lady Di (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I just finished 2 yrs of forteo injections. I gained NO bone density - very disappointing; however Dr. said "good that you didn't lose any more". Well, I had hoped for some gain........... it's a good thing I didn't have to pay for the drug or I'd be REALLY bummed out. I had no side effects. I am now leery of going on to the next recommended drug (prolia) as I do not have faith that any of these osteoporosis drugs do much good, and can cause bad side effects. I have friends who report almost no improvement in bones no matter what they take. I'm now trying a Rx supplement FosteumPlus, in hopes of maintaining current density without drugs."

BadBones (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "I took Gemtide injection for 6 months after having Bone fracture as Dr. advised that my bones are soft and seem osteoporosis. But after taking injection daily on thigh for six months I don't feel an improvement. Felt it was waste of money and I feel cheated."

Rizsana (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "Injections easy. Side effects nasty. Vomiting for hours then diarrhea for the next few hours. I will not take this drug. There have got to be other drugs."

Tubby (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I took Forteo for the maximum length of time with no major side effects at the time. However, I have just been diagnosed with calcification of the aortic valve. I have to wonder if the drug contributed to this condition. I would be interested in learning if anyone else has elevated levels of calcium in the blood as well as other parts of the body or if any studies have been done on this."

Dawn (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I am a 48 yo female who was diagnosed with osteoporosis after a hip stress fracture and 2 pelvic fractures. I had a 2nd bone density scan after taking Forteo . At that time, my diagnosis was upgraded from osteoporosis to osteopenia. The drug is working, and I don’t seem to have any side effects. (My hair is becoming much thicker and more curly. I’m not sure if this is related to the drug or not.) Despite the positive effect Forteo is having on my bones, I am nervous about being on this powerful drug. It seems very unnatural."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I started forteo in April 2018, almost 6 months ago. I have had osteoporosis since age 52 (now 63). My body could not tolerate the medicines, so I didn't take them. However earlier this year when my Dexa scan again showed a huge decline so I agreed to take Forteo. I take the injection before bedtime and very rarely feel any nausea. My legs do ache but I'm not sure if it is all from forteo as I try to walk 3-5 miles 5 days a week and recently added some weight bearing exercises. I have not had any noticeable hair loss as others have reported. This is the only medicine I take. I do take supplements: one-a-day vitamin, Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, magnesium, and calcium. The copay card from the manufacturer helps tremendously with the cost. I am so thankful to have it. Good luck to all of you in your decision and your battle of osteoporosis."

onforteo2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "70 year old male. Diagnosed with osteoarthritis with non union of clavical. Prescribed 2 months of daily injections with weekly Ca blood draws. Multi joint TAC/Lifocaine inject since my mid 20s. sero positive for AS but no real definitive symptoms aside from SI minor joint fusions as a teen. Have severe shoulder degenerate arthritis that will most likely lead to arthroscopic resurf/replacement. Side effects of increased joint pain and depression/loss of energy. Insomnia is also not helping. I’m sticking with it for at least 6 months to help my non union and perhaps keep my fused spine from further degradation I’m a retired clinical pharmacist and am feeling I can tolerate the side effects while my non union heals. "

Dr j September 2, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I have only about 6 months left and will be having my dexa (Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry) scan upcoming in the month of Feb. Nervous to learn the results as I have been praying that this process was worth the loss of my hair and now a bald spot the size of a half dollar on the top of my head. I have also been experiencing depression which I initially attributed to all of my previous health setbacks over the last several years. My Osteoporosis specialist said that she never heard of anyone losing their hair due to Forteo and believes I am losing it because I have developed a thyroid condition or an auto-immune disorder or could be extreme stress. Now am in the process of getting that all checked out. Previously I had the best hair EVER, thick, strong and beautiful. Now I am trying to live with the bald spot I can no longer hide and finding hair in my hand every time I touch my head. The results of my bone density need to show dramatic improvement for this to have been worth it."

Broken (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 18, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I took Forteo every day for two years to restore bone loss due to post menopausal symptoms. I self-injected in my stomach as it was less painful/easier. Bone density scans after one year showed significant improvement and I continued for a second year. Bone density had returned to normal and has remained normal for 3 years. I also supplemented with Vitamin D3 and Calcium tablets with Vitamin K2. I qualified for a program thru the manufacturer to help pay for the drug as my insurance would not cover the cost. It reduced my cost to $50/month. Otherwise, I could never have afforded the medication and would have probably suffered significant damage to my skeleton. I am very thankful to Forteo for helping me with the costs."

Hound Lover (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "My DEXA scan showed severe (-3) osteo'. Forteo is costly, even with Medicare paying large %, but I chose to take it because of risk of bone breakage, which would also be costly not only monetarily, and because I was encouraged by 2 PCPs and my pharmacist. In past I had bad reactions to several medications, so was apprehensive, partly because of so many published negative reviews. However, I am glad I'm taking it. I've had no side effects, and I recently had an incident that likely injured my coccyx, perhaps other vertebrae, but I believe damage would have been worse, probably a broken pelvis, if I wasn't on Forteo for almost 3 months."

Jan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "Due to osteoporosis my spine surgeon would not do the required lumbar fusion unless I went on Forteo for 3 months before and after surgery. Supposedly it increases the chances of a successful fusion. I've only been on the med for 3 weeks but have had constant nausea, bone and muscle pain, and fatigue/depression which has significantly decreased my quality of life. I keep hoping that these side effects will improve because otherwise it's going to be a long miserable 6 months. If it wasn't for the fact that I need the surgery I probably would go off the med."

anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I injected myself for two years. A lot of pain in legs and an overall weird feeling. It's a heavy duty drug. After two years I had no improvement. It was a complete waste. I have hypothyroidism. I don't know. Sometimes I thought I was going bonkers. Anyhow, now I am taking Roloifene. I've been on it for 2 years. No side affects except sweating at night, which after Forteo seems like a cake walk. However, since I've had all the drips and the injections there is no hope for me but Roloifene. No other drugs left for me to take or docs haven't recommended any. So, I don't know what to say other then Forteo did not work at all for me."

Doni (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "With a -4.1 t score of the spine at age 50, I started forteo injections. By the 4th day, I was vomiting and had constant palpitations. I tried every other day with no change, so had to stop altogether. My endocrinologist wants me to try tymlos. Very similar drug but hopefully will have less side effects for me."

Rgibones June 17, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "The injections did not bother me, painless and easy. I had broken vertebrae and broken leg, was given Forteo as a last resort. After a few weeks my hair fell out by the handfuls. I was devastated , as I had been so excited with the thought of getting my bones healthy again. But after 2 months of using the drug I took myself off of it. The cost of the drug was not an issue for me, but the cost of losing all my hair was too much to handle. I will discuss this issue with my doctor on the 26th. Good luck to everyone battling the same issue."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I had the 2nd dose of Forteo and had pain at injection site increasing in severity days 2-17; injections stopped after day 17 due to severity of reactions. I developed pancreatitis, ulcer, acid reflux, constipation, vertigo. Another side effect I had was welts. On day 3, I developed a welt behind my ear. Day 4, a small welt at injection site, which grew in size. Developed welts all over my back which were highly painful and sensitive to any touch/stimulus. Along with welts, I began to develop hives all over my arms and trunk. Months later, even though the injections had stopped, I still had those reactions, even while on a variety of different, prescribed, hive remedies. Was diagnosed with chronic urticaria in April 2016, and am now on Levocetirizine - 2 pills/2x per day. Have tried tapering off, but have rash outbreaks within 2-5 days. Also had chronic joint pain which has not gone away. Taking this drug caused worse results than Fosamax, Boniva & several other meds that had to be discontinued because of severe muscle/joint pain."

Nanette May 31, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "Been on forteo for 13 months, been through leg cramps, severe stomach growth, have depression sometimes but drug does work. Broke 13 vertabrae last year and bones are getting stronger. Now I have hot flashes, bad acid reflux and severe GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) I can't concur with specialists help. Is forteo worth the side effects? It depends on your willpower, determination and looking forward to have a better quality of life after injections are over."

Bingi May 23, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "Been taking Forteo since December. I'm in so much pain haven't been able to walk in 2 weeks, I'm very depressed, my hair is coming out in handfuls. Forteo is making my life worse."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I have been on Forteo for 5 months and was dexa showed at my age of 48yrs old that my spine was -3.5 so they put me on this medication. I’ve noticed aches in my bones-legs, ankles, knees and feet but the biggest side effect is all my hair has stopped growing and us falling out. I will take a broken bone any day. Stopping this medication ASAP!!!!"

DG May 13, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "Took Forteo for 2 years and my dexa scan is worse. Not sure if it's worth taking Prolia. Totally not happy"

Dissastified April 12, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I was on this medication for 1 year. My physician prescribed due to my -4 Osteoporosis trying to make sure I wouldn't break a hip. No instead my teeth are falling out of my head. I would of taken my chances of a broke a hip. Please someone make this company own up to the facts. It sucked the calcium out of my teeth and jaws"

Jeanne April 11, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I took Forteo for 2 years, initially I thought I had avoided side affects, it took about 6 months for them to show up. I started to have flu like symptoms a few times a week that would last 3 to 4 hours generally in the afternoon. I would feel fevered, my throat would be sore with visibly redlines and would be very low energy. This lasted the remainder of the 2 years without any doctor recognizing the cause. Additionally in the last year I developed acid reflux which I had never had before. And after all that did not show much improvement in my osteoporosis. Definitely do not recommend it."

LAM (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 18, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I started on Forteo Jan 2018, 4 days into the injections I started hurting all over. My ankles, feet, legs, knees, on up the body. Keeping me up at night, during the day at work I'm miserable. I'm hoping this comes to a stop soon!"

staylor (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

Forteo (teriparatide) for Osteoporosis: "I been taking at 13 months and have trouble to take a deep breathing, I have at about a year. I have been to every doc and everything is ok. I've even had a valve op still have trouble."

misveda (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2018