User Reviews for Terbinafine

Also known as: Lamisil, Terbinex

Learn more about Terbinafine.

Onychomycosis, Fingernail 12 reviews 20 medications

5.7
Cutaneous Candidiasis 2 reviews 67 medications

Summary of Terbinafine reviews 227 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Terbinafine

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "My comments will be in 2 parts. Part 1) I've had fungus on my big toenails for the last 20+ years and have tried everything. In 2012, my primary doctor prescribed generic Lamisil (Terbinafine) which I took for about a month without issue. At refill time, the pharmacy changed to a different Terbinafine provider and told me not to be surprised by the difference in the appearance of the pills. After a week, I developed a rash on my upper body accompanied by fevers & chills. My doctor ordered me to discontinue the Terbinafine pills and the symptoms ended. At the time it wasn't clear if I had simply had an allergic reaction to a new ingredient in the 2nd batch of Terinafine pills. Regardless, I discontinued the pills and my fungus never cleared."

WW-NJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Part 2) Still frustrated by toenail fungus, in June 2017, I asked a foot doctor to prescribe generic Lamisil. Less than a week after I started taking it, I started getting fevers & chills, my urine turned dark, I had a loss of appetite, trouble sleeping and felt itchy all over. I felt terrible but hoped I could get through it by taking Advil for the fevers/chills and Benydryl for the itching. Then I got a rash on my upper body again. None of the other side effects were going away. I discontinued use. Lab work showed my liver count was high. After a few days off Terbinafine all negative side effects have stopped. I will go back for lab work again next week and expect it to show my liver function to be normal. Use caution with this drug!"

WW-NJ (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Tinea Pedis: "I can't believe how well this medicine worked! I had athlete's foot for five years on my left foot & for six months on my right foot. My entire left foot on the bottom & sides & in between my toes itched like crazy at times. Every day I suffered with my foot itching in the shower or whenever my foot sweated. I scratched so hard in the shower that my foot bled, and I really felt like I was suffering & that wasn't too strong of a word. I tried a few things that I read online & nothing helped. I finally tried Lamisil 1%, using it twice a day for six weeks & missing a few doses. Directions are for two weeks. It finally cured my athlete's foot! It's costly but worth every penny. I still use it occasionally to be on the safe side. I rate it 10*!"

athlete's foot (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I was prescribed Lamisil for 3 months as an oral tablet to treat fingernail and toenail fungus. Topical medications did nothing. The fungus is basically cleared up on my toes but of the 5 fingernails that had it, only 3 responded. I had blood draws for liver function frequently and had no side effects from the medication. I do not drink alcohol so my liver was not under much stress. Since not all the fingernails have improved, I'm hoping I can start another 3 month treatment."

caneartist1 July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tinea Pedis: "Never works for me. N.B. I am talking about the ointment. It goes on greasy, is generally a nuisance, and then over the next couple of days the skin on top of my foot gets progressively puffier. The greasiness cannot be overstated. This makes the itching worse and you have to wear sandals even after you've quit using it."

BernardShakey (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Took terbinafine for 7 months & it has not led to any improvement in my toe nails-they are still discoloured with fungus which also causes some of the nails to thicken & become difficult to cut."

fred man July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cutaneous Candidiasis: "I had been taking 1 terbinafine tablet daily for intestinal candidiasis for almost 2 months when I got itchy red bumps on my legs, which soon spread to red bumps and blotches on my arms and upper chest along with incredible itching . After eliminating scabies as cause, terbinafine was identified as the culprit, since my only other prescription medication was Synthroid, which I have taken for more than 60 years without problems. I've been off terbinafine for 2 months. The bumps have all gone down, blotches are fading, and I no longer have the unbelievable itching, which I couldn't stop even with 30 mg. of dye-free Benadryl capsules. I will never take this drug again, even though it did help with the candida (assessed by delayed reaction to allergy testing)."

MAROSE11 June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I have suffered from toenail fungus for about 10 years finally gave up after trying everything over the counter and all home remedies doctor prescribed pills for six weeks after having blood work. Had labs done every six weeks for a total of nine months it does take about that time to start seeing a huge difference must take medication daily nail seem to grow slower during the process. The results are amazing I am showing off my toes after so many years"

Sanders04 June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tinea Pedis: "Great drug, zero side effects- I would not believe any of the horror story side effect posts. Absolutely zero side effects but clear toe nails and resolution of horrible itchy rashes that plagued the bottom of my feet for years. My liver was fine the whole time. A breeze. 3 month course."

cr38 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I have suffered from ugly fungus in my toe nails for over 40 years along with dry feet with skin scaling off all over. I tried just about every off the the counter medication to no avail. Finally, I decided to visit a podiatrist who prescribed a 3 months of Terbinafine treatment. I tested my liver before the treatment and then three times during and after treatment. The test results were good and there was no effects by the drug on my liver. During the first 2 weeks of treatment, I noticed a significant improvement in my dry feet. The scaling stopped completely and to my amazement, my feet looked healthy. The toe nails, however, took much longer to heal. Today, one year later my toe nails are completely clear and no signs of fungus period!"

Charlie Tea (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Unfortunately, this medicine gave me horrible hives. Instead I tried a mixture of vicks vaporub and athlete's foot medicine as recommended by my husband's doctor. Twice a day. Worked fantastic. Took about 6 to 8 months, but toes are now clear and healthy. Save your money."

bllt2 June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I have just finished my 12 week prescription of Terbinafine for my toenail fungus that effected my right big toenail which was bad, but not horrible and my 2 small toenails. I had read some of the other reviews and was worried about the side effects. I thankfully did not have any. My nails have cleared out wonderfully and cannot wait to see them when they are fully grown out."

Pugglemommy2005 June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "This medication can damage liver function. I was prescribed with Lamisil, after 3 days, I discovered my urine turned into dark tea color, I fell into sick. I go my liver test result came back, it showed my liver was damaged, it's 3 times beyond more than the normal result. I wasn't able to continue to use Lamisil. I also checked if I got any kind of hepatitis, the results came back which indicated that I had never been affected with any kind of hepatitis. Eventually it took me almost 1 year to recover from using Lamisil."

Healthy Matt (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I am having good success with the treatment also, with no harmful effects. I have a little difficulty swallowing pills. One time I let the pill touch my tongue for a second and it tasted bad. After, I had bad taste in my mouth for a week! Finally, it went away. Now I always take it with food. Since then, no problem. Sometimes I put it in a teaspoon of jam and it goes right down."

grandmaschina May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I'm in my second month of terbinafine. I noticed my nails were a lot more brittle to try and cut... I hadn't read that this might happen, but I didn't expect this...more to come..."

Floe April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I suffered from toenail fungus on my left big toe for ten years. After having no luck with over the counter medications I went to my dermatologist who prescribed a pain on one. I went through several months of using it and had zero improvement. My dermatologist then prescribed a 3 month treatment of terbinafine. I am now done with the treatment and my nail is about 75% clear! Had all of the blood work done and everything came back fine. I thought I was experiencing side effects the first few weeks but I think it was mostly in my head because I read all of these awful reviews. All I can say is that this literally has changed my life and I am so mad I didn't try to get prescribed to it ten years ago!!! 10/10 would recommend."

Happy!!! April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I have just finished my first month of a three month prescription and so far I've only noticed that my toe nails have almost stopped hurting. It appears that my toenails are going to fall off. Is this normal? Are they supposed to fall off then I get new ones? Also, the only side affect I get is slight headaches .... no other symptoms. I'm crossing my fingers this works!! Doc said it may take another three month treatment after this one."

1964susan March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I am a 52 year old male with bad fungus for years. Finally got sick of it and wanted to do something about it. Just finished 12 week treatment. Do see improvement but not all gone. Small toes look good but big toes have a way to go. Hopefully will continue to get better. Weird taste in mouth time to time. Stomach issues periodically. Stayed away from alcohol for full 12 weeks. Liver function tests a couple of times with no issues. Not the best of experience but not the worst either. Grin and bear it."

Dana P March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I was prescribed Terbanifine by my GP. I have had severe toenail fungus on nearly all of my toenails, and dry cracked heels for 10 years. I was told that you only need to take this drug for 3 months and then wait for the nails to grow out, I was extremely sceptical at first as although my heels cleared quickly my nails were still awful. But 3 months after stopping this medication the improvement is obvious and I am looking forward to wearing sandals and strappy shoes this summer. You must only take this on prescription and for a short time, and most important be patient! I had no side effects."

Maribags (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I'm on week 2 and I feel terrible! My stomach is in knots, I have a rash on my neck, can't sleep, taking antacids daily due to acidic taste in my mouth, I've gained weight and lost my sense of taste. Symptoms gradually worsen the longer I take it. I can hardly move today. :'( .... the tough part is, my nails look better! Do I tough it out in misery or opt for a topical solution?"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I finally started this medication in Sept. Of 2016. The only side effect I had was loss of taste and once I finished my 90 day supply, my taste came back. My toenails were awful. "

Marks Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Took this for 2 1/2 months (generic version). Fungus improved somewhat however the side effects of weight gain, water retention, diarrhea and stomach pain were not worth it. The side effects increased the longer I was on the medication. I take nothing else and there were no other changes or health issues so I know 100% this medication was the culprit."

ChrisLM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I have had toenail fungus for close to 20 years. Unfortunately when I was younger trauma to one of my toenails caused it to fall off. The fungus took over that nail and then spread to four other toes. For years I hid my feet embarrassed and ashamed of them. I decided it was time to get my blood test and start the medication. Well today I started my third month of my 90 day prescription. I should have done this sooner. My toes no longer hurt, the skin on the bottom of my feet is smooth instead of rough and scaly. But the best part of all is that I'm seeing CLEAR NAILS. One baby toe is almost completely grown out. Another is half way there. My two big toes are still mostly infected but new growth is definitely visible. Beyond excited!!"

KySpikes (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I had an extremely negative experience of this drug. I began to take it at a time when I was experiencing mild anxiety, but didn't think the drug would have any effect on my mental state. It took me 6 weeks to realise it was seriously exacerbating my mental health symptoms. I experienced extreme erratic mood swings, anxiety attacks, periods of depression and pervasive negative thoughts, at times related to suicide. After I stopped taking the drug, my symptoms began to fade away but I am still dealing with the consequences a month later. I would strongly discourage anyone working through mental health issues from taking this drug, at least without proper monitoring."

ALALAL February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I was a bit wary about trying this after reading a lot of negative reviews and scary side effects but after a 20 year problem with all 10 toenails (crumbling, discoloured and would practically peel off the nail bed) and being too embarrassed to show my feet in summer, I decided to give turbinafine a try. Too embarrassed to go to my GP I purchased a 3 month course online. The results are amazing. 10 perfectly healthy nails 7 months later and not one side effect."

Nice nails (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2017