User Reviews for Terbinafine

4.2

Summary of Terbinafine reviews 6.8 329 reviews

Reviews for Terbinafine

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 13, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "This medicine was a miracle pill!!! I had athletes foot on my right foot for over 10 years and I lost all hope after no topical stuff worked. I took this for 6 months and I had no bad side effects except for a little dizziness occasionally. My nails started growing back after taking this only 3 months. I finished my six months prescription in March and all my nails are normal again and it's July!! Don't be scared to try it because you read some bad reviews. Everyone reacts differently!"

Melly · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Fingernail: "I lost all sense of taste at week five. Googled and found out many others have had this side effect! Takes about 3 to 6 weeks to get sense of taste back! The taste in my mouth is metallic and salty. Tongue feels funny. Stopped med today!"

Mags July 5, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "After 40 days I suddenly experienced a COMPLETE loss of taste; I stopped a few days ago and anxiously waiting to see what happens. Not only have I noticed no effects on my toe but the complete loss of taste is unbelievably frightening. Worrying after reading the side effects on Drugs.com that with terbinafine this taste problem is a common-ish side effect and I am not sure how long it lasts"

Jim55 July 1, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "By 62-yrs, the yellow discoloration and scaling had severely worsened and spread from big toes only, to all toes on left foot and big toe on right. Nails looked terrible, even for a dude, and I do a lot of yoga/Pilates, so am frequently barefoot in large group settings. Took the 250mg Lamasil for 12-weeks, and thankfully suffered NONE of the many potential side effects described in the warnings. Nails showed noticeable improvement after 8-weeks, but it has now been 18-weeks since I commenced treatment (have not taken pills for 6-wks.), and the big toe nails are also cured--it took longer for the scaly portion of them to grow out. I kept my nails trimmed short and filed them down as much as possible and applied tea tree oil, and Miconazole or Clotrimazole, daily to supplement the pills, because I really wanted to ensure success."

Ladybug · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I guess I am looking for advice on taking terbinafine hydrochloride. I had a toe nail fungus for about 12 yrs on my big on each foot. I had used Jublia that goes on your nail each day. My toe started to itch quite badly. I started to scratch it with the other foot it got so itchy that I rubbed it on the edge of my mattress causing it to blister the next day. About a week later it still continued to produce blisters in a cluster on both feet with the first two toes I went to the doctor who prescribed terbinafine hydrochloride, got my blood checked everything was good to go. I also had cracking between my toes so the terbinafine and the over the counter creams should have cleared it up. The athletes foot cleared between my toes but not the first two, are still leaking a clear smelly fluid. I continue to put creams taking the terbinafine . Has anyone gone through anything similar where nothing seems to be working? I am ready to lose it."

Worse while on it... · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2019

For Tinea Capitis: "OK so far when I have taken this med the affects of the condition go into hyperdrive. Idk if this means it's working or getting all the nasty stuff from in my skin out once n for all but I also haven't been able to do a full course of this med. Others made symptoms worse while on it tho but I will go back to dr and get a new script I'll check back in after and leave another review. Right now I just found one I had left from before and took it it used to be with the others minutes after taking I'd have tons of "weeping" but right now it's fine n good."

Tee · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Hey guys. Was on terbinafine for a few weeks and started to get terrible chest pain, and crazy dizzy spells and brain fog. I went to the hospital they said I was fine and the chest pain continued and I went to my doctor. She said that it wasn’t the medication but to stop anyways and I felt almost like I was withdrawaling for a few days and now I’m okay? Maybe it was the meds? And maybe my body didn’t react well? It’s unfortunate because I’m so tired of this fungus coming back. I’m now at my wits end and am gonna get the nail removed and from there start using the creams and try to do as best I can. :("

Kempiniukas June 6, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "The drug does work. I had Onychomycosis on all my toenails. After the first 12 week course 8 out of 10 toenails no longer had Onychomycosis. I made a ~6 month break to be certain that I would need a second round of treatment. I am now on the 8 week of the second round of treatment. I am combining it with Biotin, which accelerates nail (and hair) growth, so I can detect sooner if terbinafine has any effects on the remaining 2 Onychomycosis affected toenails. Seems to be working, new part of the toenails is clear from Onychomycosis. Regarding side effects. As some other reviewers mentioned I do get symptoms of increased levels anxiety and depression. Those are hard to tell as I am a cynic, but one thing for sure for 1 to 3 hours after taking terbinafine I get foggy mind and fatigue. I take the drug and biotin with a meal after a working day. "

Bill · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2019

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Went thru the treatment of Lamisil for several months and all the blood test. Was told I was one of the few it did not work for. Complete waste of time."

Martha May 31, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I’m on week 5. But have taken this last year and gave up. I’ve learned to take this at night so you can fall asleep and if your stomach hurts you don’t notice lol. Take A PROBIOTIC in the am. This advice will help soooo much with your tummy. I also take milk thistle for liver support. Don’t drink alcohol! It makes your stomach hurt coffee makes you have anxiety (it increases the levels of caffeine in your body!!). I can tell a huge different but this is where I gave up after the 6 weeks last year. Take the full 3 months. I’m going to throw out all old shoes and all my socks near the end. Be patient. It’s taken me over a year to finally see results from my first dose. Also after shower blow dry your toes.. sounds silly but this helps also. Wash ur shoes with bleach. One thing I dealt with was anxiety attacks. If you can push through the rough stages of this medication (if you have any) it’ll be okay and worth it in the end! Don’t stress it’s what I did. Liver is fine then your fine."

Jenn · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I was prescribed this medication for fungal treatment on my toe . I have never had an issue with acne. Just would get some pimples here or there sometimes. Once I started taking terbinafine my face began to break out horribly ! I stoped taking the medication after two weeks and I am still having an issue getting my skin to clear . Would highly recommend not taking this at all !"

Any · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2019

For Tinea Cruris: "I had terrible terrible terrible rash and itch, it had spread in large area. I had used itch guard coconut oil, Vit E oil but nothing worked. Then I bought one tube of terbinafine cream and it has worked wonders on the jock itch I almost suffered for 1 month with this rash and I got rid of all those in just 3 days, will keep on using if for a while though. It did nothing to the scars but my itching completely vanished and it made my skin smooth within 1week.. it is amazing"

Trinity · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I've suffered with toenail fungus for years. I tried every topical there was because I was afraid of the oral meds. I heard they are toxic for your liver. About 3 years ago I notice some fungus on my fingernail right at the tip at that has spread to where it is ugly and noticeable. That was it. I went on Terbinafine for the 12 week treatment. I didn't really have any side effects except feeling a little tired, what a disappointment for actual effects - nothing. Not even any improvement at all. I feel like I poisoned my body for nothing. Doc says I can try the 12 week round again since my liver enzymes were good. Not sure at this point."

Pizzadoodle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 13, 2019

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I was on this for 6 months at which point I had to stop taking it as the side effects were taking a serious toll on my health. My liver went from 100% function to 40% and needless to say I felt like a pile of overcooked spaghetti for months while taking it and for about 3 months afterward. My toenail fungus started to clear up after 6 months, but unfortunately after discontinuing use, it came back in full force. I am now looking for a better alternative."

C May 8, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "My podiatrist put me on this medicine for toenail fungus. I took it for almost 3 weeks with no issues. Towards the end of the third week I started losing my voice, coughing, shortness of breath so I stopped taking it. My feet had also become sore so that I went to an urgent care 2 days later because my feet swelled up and became discolored. They called it cellulitis and an allergic reaction to terbinafine. The podiatrist said because I took it for 3 weeks, it will take 8 weeks to be completely out of my system. I’ve been to the emergency room 3 times due this reaction. Doctors put me on steroids and swelling went down then after I finished them the swelling came back along with stiff joints, chills, fever, retaining fluid and stomach swells up like 8 months pregnant. I'm now on steroids a 2nd time and dread what comes next after I finish them because I have 3 weeks left of the 8. This has been a nightmare. It’s so bad I had to take a leave of absence from work a month ago. Would not recommend this to anyone."

Tay May 5, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "3rd time on this only cause I was an idiot and would space taking it because it was summer and wanted to drink. My toe nails were pretty bad and crumbling. It’s been a year and even tho I took the meds not regularly I still notice a huge difference and gave my body a break and now I’m ready to take it everyday and get rid of it. I read bad reviews and got it in my head I was basically going to die if I took this lol.. silly. Don’t listen. I believe my body is used to it now so I only get stomach aches. Sometimes mood swings or headaches but come on. If you struggle with toe fungus and are insecure just take the meds.. put up with a little side effects and finish it. only advice I will give that I learned taking this is have a meal in the am and 3 cups of water and then take the medication so you don’t have to worry about it for the rest of the day. Drink a lot of water helps the body digest and makes your stomach hurt less."

thankyouworld May 2, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "There's a 1000 char limit so I summarize. I'm real! My toes are 100% cured, normal looking. Took 10 months to grow out. I am beyond grateful. Treatment: Terbinafine HCL 250MG tablets, every night with dinner for 3 months, then 1 pill/wk until all grown out (my idea, not sure it helped) Temporary side effects: None, or possibly more body odor and burping. About me: Female, now age 38, had fungal toes for 12 years. For 6 years one toenail was unattached from nailbed. Awful! Health conscious, no alcohol, no caffeine, no other drugs, no smoking. <-- maybe why no bad side effects Searched onychomycosis on Google Scholar and learned: this started as a closed shoe problem. 100 yrs ago army men wearing boots traveled abroad to hot regions when the fungus is from. Brought it back. Hiding the problem: When occasionally going on a date I glued on fake toenails (very real looking result) painted opaque color. Remove them carefully."

Sam April 29, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Just wanted to add another positive experience! I was pretty frightened reading these reviews but my toenail fungus seemed to just keep spreading no matter what I tried, so this was my last option. I have had very minor side effects—the 2nd week of taking, I had pretty bad headaches that felt like head congestion but I took 400 mg ibuprofen and that did the trick. No headaches after 2nd week. I wanted to add, I have anxiety and I’m telling you, DON'T drink too much caffeine as terbinefine reduces the body being able to get rid of caffeine by 20%!!! It tells you right on the warnings but I feel like people complain about insomnia or jitteriness, and they don’t listen to those warnings. I went from drinking 2 black teas a morning to just one cup green tea. DON'T drink caffeine in the afternoon! When I do, I definitely notice I have trouble getting to sleep and anxious feelings. Please follow the warnings, don’t drink alcohol or too much caffeine. If you do, you are asking for the side effects."

LR April 26, 2019

For Tinea Pedis: "My podiatrist prescribed me generic terbinafine and to take it in pulses of one week on one week off, and so on. Well, I finished week one and was fine, just some headache and sore throat. But during my week off, I came up with a fever, & sore throat got worst. I slept it off and felt fine the next day. Told my podiatrist & he recommended I stop taking it...I was glad to stop, but, I notice new nail growing in. I wish I could continue treatment since I have been dealing with toenail fungus for 25+ years. Has anyone took it once a week instead of everyday? I’m thinking about just take one pill a week."

ProudGma · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2019

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "The podiatrist prescribed Lamisil for my (big) toenail fungus. I asked about side effects & her comment was, “I’ve not seen anything serious.” Well, 5 weeks in and I woke up to exploding diarrhea. This diarrhea continued for 3 weeks - day and night. At first I did not associate the diarrhea with the Lamisil. After discontinuing the med, it took another 2-1/2 weeks to get out of my system and for the diarrhea to stop. I experienced some sleep disruptions, but assumed it was because of my fear of soiling myself & the bed again. My sleep is finally improving, as well. The worst part is that I see no difference in my toenail. I have had blood work done and there are no indications of liver issues. I would definitely go another route than Lamisil."

rachel April 1, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Took this for 18 days. The day I started this drug I also received a steroid injection into my foot, knowing I can react to steroids at first I thought my symptoms were related to that, but they never subsided. Symptoms were first major insomnia, too much energy. Then after a couple days, still insomnia but depression and tearfulness. I was given ambien for the insomnia but that did not help! Usually Ambien will correct my insomnia in a day or two. In addition to the insomnia I have anxiety, bordering on panic, peed dark colored urine a couple times and experience some weird tingling once in a while. Currently I am not working, but if I had a job, I'd probably have to take a leave of absence, my mind is so exhausted. Been off terbinafine for 3 days. With sleep aids, got 5-6 hours sleep for last two nights which is amazing but still feeling awful. Now I'm concerned about getting an addiction to sleep meds. This is one of the worst experiences of my life."

Barbara April 1, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I have had toe nail fungus for over 7-8 years. My big toe nail was so severely damaged that it was getting very thick and ugly. I was done being embarrassed and was dying to wear open toed shoes again! So the first day I took it in the morning and I felt nauseous and I got a very dry mouth and a metal taste. I got scared after reading so many reviews about losing your taste. I took the pill three (3) days and then stopped because I didn’t think it was worth losing my taste or feeling this terrible metallic taste in my mouth all the time and having a dry mouth AND feeling nauseous. Well, after 6 months now my toenail is almost all grown out and looks to be healthy!!! I still continue to have a very dry mouth and that metallic taste still lingers on!! BUT I never lost my taste and my feet aren’t scaly anymore and my toenail looks normal AGAIN!! So if that’s the worst case I’m glad I tried it out and I’m looking forward to wearing sandals again this summer!!"

Tachy · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Hi. I was prescribed terbinafine recently and took the first dose around 8pm. At around 11pm I noticed my heart was racing and I was short of breath (more winded than short of breath). I didn't really feel bad and was able to go to sleep without any problems. Around 4am I woke up because my heart was pounding and racing. I wasn't panicked or even upset, just uncomfortable. I had pressure under my left arm that radiated down to my hand, could feel the artery in my neck beating w/o even touching it and my lips felt wierd, like I they were beating as well. It lasted a couple of hours and finally calmed down. I checked my BP at work and it was normal but I didn't feel quite right for a day or 2 after. I did not take anymore after that. Everyone reacts differently to medications so don't let anyone tell you you're wrong if u have a reaction to a med that has a low side effect occurance."

B · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Terbinafine should be renamed “poison”! It’s deadly. I only took One (one tablet!!!) and within hours the room was spinning so fast, I was throwing up and had diarrhea. I continued to vomit even though I only drank water for two days. Was so tired I was sleeping all the time I wasn’t being sick. Goodness knows what it would do to me if I continued. Rather live with dodgy toenail. Dr only mentioned potential liver problem and booked a blood test. Be warned!"

bob · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 8, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Terbinafine pulse treatment successfully cleared my big toenail fungus that I've had for over 5 years. Treatment only took 5 months. No side effects."