User Reviews for Terbinafine

Also known as: Lamisil, Terbinex

Terbinafine has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 413 ratings on Drugs.com. 56% of those users who reviewed Terbinafine reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Onychomycosis, Toenail
10.0
Summary of Terbinafine reviews 6.5 413 reviews

Reviews for Terbinafine

Flowergirl74 June 16, 2021

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “After hiding my feet since I was a kid, 30+ years, asking for medical help several times (when I would finally get the courage) I would always just get prescribed a nail paint product. Reading all about Terbinafine over the years, I was ready to do what I needed to by taking this medication as prescribed. I took it everyday for 90 days without missing a day. At the beginning, there was a day or two where I went off food, and a few nights where my dreams were very vivid or waking up and struggling to get back to sleep, but that was it. I started at the beginning of March 2021 and it is now Mid June. There is no sign of fungus, and my large toe, which was the worst, is about 3/4 grown, white in color and pretty. Once it’s fully grown, I will have normal, (not yellow, thick, flakey, broken) toenails for the first time in 30 years. Take as prescribed and it does work, but you have to be patient. It took about 2 months before I could see signs of change.”

Drkatzjr27 May 30, 2021

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “After 5 days of taking this drug I began to notice a burning sensation in the back of my throat as well as my upper esophagus…as if they were on fire. I initially thought it was acid reflux, but after taking very potent anti-acid medication without relief, I realized it must be this drug. So I looked at the Prescribing Information from the manufacturer. It states that dyspepsia (heart burn) as well as lost of taste were effects noted as higher than placebo. But what concerned me was it also stated that while these conditions can be reversible, in some cases these symptoms were not reversible. Simply google: Oral Lamisil Prescribing Information And then even more ominous: It states that the drug has shown to be toxic to the liver….and this was not one of those very rare effects that pharmaceutical companies must mention. Conversely, they state it is not a rare phenomenon.”

Shay · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 13, 2021

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Cutaneous Candidiasis: “Not effective!”

Loue · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2021

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “28yr old female- I was turned off starting this medication 2 years ago by my doctor because they were strongly against prescribing it because of it’s side effects especially liver effects. I tried every over the counter product, wasting so much money & nothing made a difference. At this stage I had fungus in all 10 toes. After two years I asked doc to prescribe Lamisil. Had a liver function test before and was normal started Lamisil tablets. I have to admit I was scared after researching all the possible side effects etc. The only side effects I had was vivid dreams for 3 months but it didn’t stop me sleeping. Also I had a sore lower back which I didn’t relate until the pain, went away as week after I stopped the tablets. But these side effects were SO WORTH the result. The fungus has completely gone and I couldn’t be happier. If toenail fungus is making you feel embarrassed etc but you’re too scared to take the tablets, of recommend just trying the tablets out for yourself.”

Rhia March 25, 2021

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I’ve suffered from toenail fungus for around 6 years. I treated them religiously with anti fungal nail solutions, which are extortionately priced and absolutely useless. Within a year of having visible white spots one of my big toenails started to turn yellow, which made me so embarrassed I hid it with nail varnish so my boyfriend wouldn’t find out. I tried seeking medical help but was turned away twice. Within 6 months the infection got so bad that my entire nail fell off which was fairly traumatising. I insisted on an appointment with my GP who asked me to send photos and later toenail clippings for testing in a lab to check it was actually fungal. Surprise surprise, the results came back positive and after a blood test I was started on a course within a few weeks of my appointment. I’ve been using it for 4 months now and the infection has almost fully cleared up. I’ve had zero side effects and for the first time in years can walk confidently barefoot without nail varnish.”

Sam · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2020

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Miracle drug. Slight stomach aches the first couple of days and feels woozy but that's with every anything new you put it. 3 months on this took it religiously with a high fat meal at the same time daily. Stopped the fungus cold, my progress pics are so satisfying. 6 months later i can wear flip flops again. Thank you science”

Charlie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Reading bad reviews I was skeptical about this medicine and was scared to even start it . But I finished my cycle of Lamisil last month . What a RIDE ! First of all , it worked . Cleared up my whole nail by 4 months but let me tell you my only side effect was 3 months of nightmares EVERY NIGHT . Yes, literally . It was insane . As much as I don’t want to sound exaggerating this is true . But it’s worth it because after 2 years of having fungus I was desperate to clear it up .best advice is try not to think about side effects take it and go on .”

Joc · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “This pill has changed my life. I’ve had toenail fungus since I was 15 or so now I’m 25. I’ve tried absolutely all OTC creams/ nail polish and gel pens I can think of. My nails were so bad they were getting black and very thick. I started terbinafine medication on March 25th and wow, my nails look amazing! If only I could post pictures. I had no side effect no weight gain or loss. This brought my confidence up on so many levels.”

Sergr · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2020

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “This is a miracle drug. I have not experienced any side effects, the only problem for me is that the results don’t last forever. This is my third round. I’ve battled toenail fungus since I was 11 (I am 44 now). Each time I take this medicine the toenails heal perfectly after about 6 months, and stay that way for a few years and then the insidious fungus returns. Apparently this does not happen to everyone. I’ve come to accept that this is just the way it is for me. Just finished my third round and already seeing the fungus receding, which is awesome.”

Niagara Don · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2020

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “This was my review on 2019-09-05 "Toenail fungus on both big toes. Left one was 3/4 yellow - right one about half. I was prescribed a 12 week course and given enough for 90 days. No side effects until about 60 days - then I quickly developed a bad metallic/salty taste that ruined the taste of everything - even water. It was so bad that I stopped taking it after 79 days. 12 weeks is 84 days so I figured a few days wouldn't make a difference. I'm now about a month after stopping and my taste has returned slowly, week by week.....still can't taste chocolate properly. As for the effectiveness - it seems to be working really well - I can see a nice pink nail pushing up as the nail grows out - but it will likely take all year to fully grow out." Update 2020-01-19 : It's been 6 months since I ended my prescription. Toenails are all grown out. Everything back to normal - nice pink nails with no thickening or brittleness. So glad everything worked out.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I was prescribed Lamisil for my toenails by my Doctor and it said to take it every day for three months and no alcohol. Then after one month I started itching then I got a rash but I stuck to it. Still going once a month to check my liver. I relialized the rash was from the medication removing all of my fungus from my body so I endured it. The rash went away and not only that all my toenails grow out new my skin was all around better. the warts on my fingers disappeared too. I am very pleased with this super drug. It’s been ten years now and nothing has returned. loved it...PS I don’t get dandruff anymore either. I recommend this stuff just endure it don’t stop or you have to begin again. Plus no alcohol while you take it for three months.”

Judd789 October 1, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “After reading comments on here I thought I would writ a realistic review based on the truth. I took terbinafine tablets for 6 months. I didn't have any side affects and had 1 blood test. My organs were all fine. I have read on here that people's toes started to clear within a month. I can safely say that this is untrue. You will not see any results until the fungus has been killed and a new unaffected nail starts to grow. This can take over a year. For me I think it was about 10 -11 months. So 4 or so months after I finished the treatment. My nail didn't look any different from when I started. And then if by magic a new clean nail started growing. At this stage I got rid of all my socks and shoes and replaced them. Toe nails grow slowly!!”

7910MT · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Everyone's toenails grow at different rates. To say that they grow slowly and that evidence of the treatment taking a year to notice is simply NOT TRUE. I have taken generic Lamasil for 3 weeks now and the thickness under the nail bed in all 5 of my toes is almost completely gone AND you can see where new, healthy nail is growing in. I am fully committed to the treatment course, so just because things look better so quickly does not mean the fungus is completely gone. I just wanted to give hope to someone out there who may be discouraged by some of these testimonies. Everyone's case is different but there is still the possibility your body will respond well and rather quickly to the oral treatment!”

Rdecha · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2020

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I’ve had infected nails and athletes foot for thirty years. The nails were pretty severe. I started terbinafine in November and now in February I am almost 100 percent better. I wore open to shoes in public.... I have never done that. I took the pills until January. My liver function is fine, and no real side effects but I did listen to guidance such as not drinking alcohol, fruit consumption and the sun. I Am now eagerly awaiting sandal season for the first time ever.”

Me · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2020

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “My toe nails were bad, really bad, I had suffered with them and fungus for a round 7 years, they had almost all completely gone and I tried every over the counter thing available, none of them worked. I started taking these tablets 2 months ago and all my nails are growing back like they should, the fungus is growing out and my confidence has come back. Do not suffer in silence, nail fungus is awful to have, you feel so ashamed......go to the GP and get these tablets you will not regret it.”

La La Frank December 5, 2019

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Yes, Lamisil tablets works. But I’m one of the few who have experienced and am still in the midst of rapid weight loss. I was in great health when I began the three month treatment. As soon as I neared the end of the treatment I began losing weight daily to the point I could see it. It’s been five months since I ceased the medication and I’m still fighting to regain the lost weight. Has anyone else on this forum noticed significant changes in their weight? As in drastic and visible loss? Thanks. Other than that, all tests came back normal (yes Liver too). I don't drink alcohol or use drugs. No pain. It’s a side effect some would want, but to me it’s highly undesirable.”

dee · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2021

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I took this drug for my awful toenail fungus I have in 3 toes. This pill was the only one that is suppose to work on the toenail fungus, but can cause a lot of side effects, but I wanted to get rid of it! My doctor does not like to recommend this drug but it was my last resort. Please think real hard about taking this drug it can be a matter of life and death. Before you take it you have to get liver tests and my test was excellent, until I took Lamisil for 3 weeks, I started feeling real bad, headaches and heartburn which I have never had and felt real tired and sick I told my doctor I was stopping it. Then I went in to do liver test and my tests came back very high liver enzyme's. And I have been back twice and it is slowly going away. It can cause liver failure and death. I am so glad that I stopped it when I did, and I hope my next tests which I'm doing in a few days comes back normal. I wish I would have never taken this medication.”

Terry · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 8, 2019

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “This product is a miracle worker! I took it to cure my toe nail fungus and in a short amount of time it was totally cured! It has been over a year now and there is no sign of it coming back. I also no longer have dry cracking feet! All of my toes look incredible now! I highly recommend this product! In my 60 years I have not found anything in this life that really works like this does!”

Happy camper · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 21, 2014

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Embarrassed to go barefoot and what not, all ten toes infected with this brown tint. Fed up I decided to do something about it. I heard of Lamisil and did some research on the medicine, was concern about side effect and live damage so I went for the laser treatment on all ten toes. After 5 months no change, toenails look the same, disappointed went back to my Dr and he said Lamisil works best for this infection, so after much thought and tired of my condition I decided to go with the Lamisil, still concerned about side effects and what not. Dr. ordered 1st liver test and came back good so here I go!. Almost 3 months on medicine and I couldn't be happier! Brown tint is almost gone and new nail is growing out & No side effects.”

Jessss · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I’m not sure if I chose the right condition I had but I basically had toenail fungus that took over almost all of my toenails to the point where my big toe nails would just crumble apart and crack off like twice a year. Like really bad. I took terbinafine for 3 months and I finally just got a pedicure that removed the nail polish that would hide the hideous sight and it’s practically gone!! I’m so impressed. I was a little weary when I first started because of the side effects but I felt no side effects at all and it healed me! Thank god for modern medicine.”

Tee2014 September 22, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I suffered for almost 6 years with all ten toes badly infected. The sight was awful!!! I had to wear closed in shoes ALL the time. I took 3 months of treatment and seen a SIGNIFICANT change!! After 3 months of being off the treatment, I asked my doctor for another round because it is an extremely STUBBORN fungus!! Thankfully after that round, I now have normal, beautiful ten toes!! I had my 1st pedicure in years and I went sandal crazy shopping!! I don't know of any side effects and if there where any, it was nothing I noticed. I was afraid of the risks, but EVERYTHING is a risk!! This was a risk worth taking!!”

Moonriser · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “So I took terbinafine and this is the stuff that cleared my 2 toes from fungus that are now 100% recovered and no sign of it coming back. Terbinafine pills 3 months, I was also recommended to eat milk thistle at the same time to reduce possible liver damage. Use lamisil cream with a patch on each infected nail during the daytime. Use breathable footwear and get bamboo socks, you should also throw away old shoes and get a shoe uv-light sanitizer and use it once a week or so to kill possible growth of fungi inside the shoes. I have been clear now for almost a year and my feet are better than ever before, Just make sure to follow the steps above and you should see results. Wishing you all infected out there good luck with the treatment!”

Happy!!! April 5, 2017

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I suffered from toenail fungus on my left big toe for ten years. After having no luck with over the counter medications I went to my dermatologist who prescribed a pain on one. I went through several months of using it and had zero improvement. My dermatologist then prescribed a 3 month treatment of terbinafine. I am now done with the treatment and my nail is about 75% clear! Had all of the blood work done and everything came back fine. I thought I was experiencing side effects the first few weeks but I think it was mostly in my head because I read all of these awful reviews. All I can say is that this literally has changed my life and I am so mad I didn't try to get prescribed to it ten years ago!!! 10/10 would recommend.”

flyingRyan June 17, 2013

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I have dealt with athletes foot for at least 18 years. I dealt with the itching, scaling, thick skin, odor, and yes thick, brownish, ingrown toenails. I have tried everything under the sun to get rid of it. I even tried the home remedies like soaking your feet in Apple cider vinegar or using Vicks vapor rub on the nails. If I accomplished anything with any of these "remedies", it was pretty much just to keep the fungus at bay. No better, no worse. So I finally decided to do something about it and try Lamisl tablets. Started in Oct/2012 and finished in Dec/2012. Its now June/2013 and my nails look 10 times better. The thick, brownish color is gone. No ingrown nails. I can wear sandals now!!”

Her1979 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2018

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “So I’ve been on this for 3 months - after having an infection for 20 years. Always been so scared to go on it. No side effects, liver tests clear, and fungus beginning to clear. Wanted to share a positive review.”

Ali · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2020

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I'm 9 days in to my 3 month treatment. Felt like I had the flu all week - headaches & nausea. On day 8 it turned into bad stomach aches and diarrhea, paired with weakness, but I'm probably a bit dehydrated now. I'm going to try and push through and hope the symptoms subside. I am so sick of having gross toenails and I have tried every natural remedy, every topical treatment and nothing has worked. Wish me luck.”

WeirdWalt · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Just about finished my 3 months on this medication. I have had toe nail fungus for 23+ years and was in the process thinking about getting my toe nails removed. My Doctor suggested trying this out first which I have. Through the whole process of lamisil I have had a little bit of an upset stomach, nothing serious though. As for its effectiveness on my fungus. I feel like the fungus had stopped "growing" my poor wife used to have to file my nails down as the fungus would grow and be quite painful. She said she's noticed a little good growth at the bed of my toenail. All in all I am very happy I went this route over removal. We will see the true results in about a years time.”

Boozilla · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 24, 2013

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I have struggled with athletes foot and toe nail fungus since I was a young child. I am 40 years old now and I started a 90 day treatment of Lamisil tablets. My experience was life changing. I didn't have ANY bad side effects. I had GOOD effects of clearing up that nightmare that I suffered from for most of my life. I never wore sandals or walked around barefoot because I was embarrassed. Now my feet look normal. I started seeing results and feeling better within a month. The itching and burning went away. The second month I could see my nails changing color from black to clear. I started taking my pills at the end of October 2012 and finished in the middle of January 2013, it is April now, and my nails are completely clear.”