User Reviews for Terbinafine

Also known as: Lamisil, Terbinex

Learn more about Terbinafine.

Terbinafine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Onychomycosis, Toenail.

Reviews for Terbinafine to treat Onychomycosis, Toenail

Lamisil (terbinafine): "I was prescribed Lamisil for 3 months as an oral tablet to treat fingernail and toenail fungus. Topical medications did nothing. The fungus is basically cleared up on my toes but of the 5 fingernails that had it, only 3 responded. I had blood draws for liver function frequently and had no side effects from the medication. I do not drink alcohol so my liver was not under much stress. Since not all the fingernails have improved, I'm hoping I can start another 3 month treatment."

caneartist1 July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took terbinafine for 7 months & it has not led to any improvement in my toe nails-they are still discoloured with fungus which also causes some of the nails to thicken & become difficult to cut."

fred man July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from toenail fungus for about 10 years finally gave up after trying everything over the counter and all home remedies doctor prescribed pills for six weeks after having blood work. Had labs done every six weeks for a total of nine months it does take about that time to start seeing a huge difference must take medication daily nail seem to grow slower during the process. The results are amazing I am showing off my toes after so many years"

Sanders04 June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from ugly fungus in my toe nails for over 40 years along with dry feet with skin scaling off all over. I tried just about every off the the counter medication to no avail. Finally, I decided to visit a podiatrist who prescribed a 3 months of Terbinafine treatment. I tested my liver before the treatment and then three times during and after treatment. The test results were good and there was no effects by the drug on my liver. During the first 2 weeks of treatment, I noticed a significant improvement in my dry feet. The scaling stopped completely and to my amazement, my feet looked healthy. The toe nails, however, took much longer to heal. Today, one year later my toe nails are completely clear and no signs of fungus period!"

Charlie Tea (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Unfortunately, this medicine gave me horrible hives. Instead I tried a mixture of vicks vaporub and athlete's foot medicine as recommended by my husband's doctor. Twice a day. Worked fantastic. Took about 6 to 8 months, but toes are now clear and healthy. Save your money."

bllt2 June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have just finished my 12 week prescription of Terbinafine for my toenail fungus that effected my right big toenail which was bad, but not horrible and my 2 small toenails. I had read some of the other reviews and was worried about the side effects. I thankfully did not have any. My nails have cleared out wonderfully and cannot wait to see them when they are fully grown out."

Pugglemommy2005 June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamisil (terbinafine): "This medication can damage liver function. I was prescribed with Lamisil, after 3 days, I discovered my urine turned into dark tea color, I fell into sick. I go my liver test result came back, it showed my liver was damaged, it's 3 times beyond more than the normal result. I wasn't able to continue to use Lamisil. I also checked if I got any kind of hepatitis, the results came back which indicated that I had never been affected with any kind of hepatitis. Eventually it took me almost 1 year to recover from using Lamisil."

Healthy Matt (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am having good success with the treatment also, with no harmful effects. I have a little difficulty swallowing pills. One time I let the pill touch my tongue for a second and it tasted bad. After, I had bad taste in my mouth for a week! Finally, it went away. Now I always take it with food. Since then, no problem. Sometimes I put it in a teaspoon of jam and it goes right down."

grandmaschina May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm in my second month of terbinafine. I noticed my nails were a lot more brittle to try and cut... I hadn't read that this might happen, but I didn't expect this...more to come..."

Floe April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamisil (terbinafine): "I suffered from toenail fungus on my left big toe for ten years. After having no luck with over the counter medications I went to my dermatologist who prescribed a pain on one. I went through several months of using it and had zero improvement. My dermatologist then prescribed a 3 month treatment of terbinafine. I am now done with the treatment and my nail is about 75% clear! Had all of the blood work done and everything came back fine. I thought I was experiencing side effects the first few weeks but I think it was mostly in my head because I read all of these awful reviews. All I can say is that this literally has changed my life and I am so mad I didn't try to get prescribed to it ten years ago!!! 10/10 would recommend."

Happy!!! April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have just finished my first month of a three month prescription and so far I've only noticed that my toe nails have almost stopped hurting. It appears that my toenails are going to fall off. Is this normal? Are they supposed to fall off then I get new ones? Also, the only side affect I get is slight headaches .... no other symptoms. I'm crossing my fingers this works!! Doc said it may take another three month treatment after this one."

1964susan March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 52 year old male with bad fungus for years. Finally got sick of it and wanted to do something about it. Just finished 12 week treatment. Do see improvement but not all gone. Small toes look good but big toes have a way to go. Hopefully will continue to get better. Weird taste in mouth time to time. Stomach issues periodically. Stayed away from alcohol for full 12 weeks. Liver function tests a couple of times with no issues. Not the best of experience but not the worst either. Grin and bear it."

Dana P March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Terbanifine by my GP. I have had severe toenail fungus on nearly all of my toenails, and dry cracked heels for 10 years. I was told that you only need to take this drug for 3 months and then wait for the nails to grow out, I was extremely sceptical at first as although my heels cleared quickly my nails were still awful. But 3 months after stopping this medication the improvement is obvious and I am looking forward to wearing sandals and strappy shoes this summer. You must only take this on prescription and for a short time, and most important be patient! I had no side effects."

Maribags (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on week 2 and I feel terrible! My stomach is in knots, I have a rash on my neck, can't sleep, taking antacids daily due to acidic taste in my mouth, I've gained weight and lost my sense of taste. Symptoms gradually worsen the longer I take it. I can hardly move today. :'( .... the tough part is, my nails look better! Do I tough it out in misery or opt for a topical solution?"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I finally started this medication in Sept. Of 2016. The only side effect I had was loss of taste and once I finished my 90 day supply, my taste came back. My toenails were awful. "

Marks Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Took this for 2 1/2 months (generic version). Fungus improved somewhat however the side effects of weight gain, water retention, diarrhea and stomach pain were not worth it. The side effects increased the longer I was on the medication. I take nothing else and there were no other changes or health issues so I know 100% this medication was the culprit."

ChrisLM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had toenail fungus for close to 20 years. Unfortunately when I was younger trauma to one of my toenails caused it to fall off. The fungus took over that nail and then spread to four other toes. For years I hid my feet embarrassed and ashamed of them. I decided it was time to get my blood test and start the medication. Well today I started my third month of my 90 day prescription. I should have done this sooner. My toes no longer hurt, the skin on the bottom of my feet is smooth instead of rough and scaly. But the best part of all is that I'm seeing CLEAR NAILS. One baby toe is almost completely grown out. Another is half way there. My two big toes are still mostly infected but new growth is definitely visible. Beyond excited!!"

KySpikes (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had an extremely negative experience of this drug. I began to take it at a time when I was experiencing mild anxiety, but didn't think the drug would have any effect on my mental state. It took me 6 weeks to realise it was seriously exacerbating my mental health symptoms. I experienced extreme erratic mood swings, anxiety attacks, periods of depression and pervasive negative thoughts, at times related to suicide. After I stopped taking the drug, my symptoms began to fade away but I am still dealing with the consequences a month later. I would strongly discourage anyone working through mental health issues from taking this drug, at least without proper monitoring."

ALALAL February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was a bit wary about trying this after reading a lot of negative reviews and scary side effects but after a 20 year problem with all 10 toenails (crumbling, discoloured and would practically peel off the nail bed) and being too embarrassed to show my feet in summer, I decided to give turbinafine a try. Too embarrassed to go to my GP I purchased a 3 month course online. The results are amazing. 10 perfectly healthy nails 7 months later and not one side effect."

Nice nails (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just as most of you that commented on Terbinafine; I was afraid of taking this medication as several people including my physician said it is harsh on the liver; however, my toenails looked so horrible for so many years and ultimately spread to my thumbs; very discouraged to wear sandals and always hiding my feet that I decided to give it a try. A Podiatrist recommended a 90 days program and I've been on it now for almost two months; seeing very nice results in all 10 toenails and thumbnail; still not 100% there yet but hopefully will get there by Summer as it takes about 10 months according to my Podiatrist for the nails to grow out free of fungus. Thanks be to God, no side effects; I checked my liver after 1 month and 1 week."

Joselito_Bonao December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Everyone's toenails grow at different rates. To say that they grow slowly and that evidence of the treatment taking a year to notice is simply NOT TRUE. I have taken generic Lamasil for 3 weeks now and the thickness under the nail bed in all 5 of my toes is almost completely gone AND you can see where new, healthy nail is growing in. I am fully committed to the treatment course, so just because things look better so quickly does not mean the fungus is completely gone. I just wanted to give hope to someone out there who may be discouraged by some of these testimonies. Everyone's case is different but there is still the possibility your body will respond well and rather quickly to the oral treatment!"

7910MT (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a engineer and truly tried every remedy you can google. Vinegar, bleach, tea tree oil, multiple "online" ointments, Penlac twice, Laser Pinpointe procedure for $1400, it was too the point I had no nail really. All with varying results the key is ALWAYS TEMPORARY!! I spent at least $2000 over the last 15 years on my problem!! Being a health fanatic workout guy do you have any idea how hard it is to be the guy who doesn't show his FEET of course you do!! I was so SCARED that Terbinafine would damage my liver, because don't we all think we will be the 1:10,0000 that has a problem. 68 days in not a hint of fungus 1/2 way up my nail!! Will update and show pics wish I would have done this 15 years ago!!"

44 suffering for 15 years (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried this medication but after about 3 weeks the side effects were too much for me I had pain in my liver so I stopped. There are other solutions but beware if you use google you are going to end up on a wild goose chase of fake reviews from non medical professionals trying to sell you junk. Many sites will disguise themselfs often citing clinical trials to make them look convincing. Then it dawned on me to search pubmed.gov, this is the website where official clinical trials results are shared. Search for the terms "toenail fungus" or "Onychomycosis". I don't have a cure yet as I'm still reading up but once you've found the active ingredient you can then search for products containing it. Ignore ALL reviews from members of the public."

Lee R2 October 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have had toenail fungal infection for years. Was recently prescribed Terbinafine. 3 month script. Been taking for a month so far. Have noticed the associated scaliness on my underfoot has subsided and has gotten smoother with less dryness and cracking. Two more months to go! No noticeable side effects, besides a slightly acidic taste in my mouth like reflux, but I'm not sure if this is from the pills or not, just mentioning it... Not life altering in any case."

Geieibegeiwojwbeje (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered with nasty toenail fungus on both of my big toes for almost 15yrs. Both nails were thick, black and yellow and very crooked. I was ashamed and embarrassed to show my toes to anyone!! I finally decided I could no longer take the pain and suffering. It took months for me to see any change but I was determined to stick with it. I felt it was my last hope after trying so many different other cream and oils before. After about 8 months I finally saw a difference in the health of my toenails. I took the medicine for about a year before I was completely satisfied. Fortunately for me I had zero side effects at all. I am very pleased with the outcome, but you definitely have to have some patience taking this medicine."

Nikki-Cole26 October 20, 2016