User Reviews for Terbinafine

Also known as: Lamisil, Terbinex

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Terbinafine.

Terbinafine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Onychomycosis, Toenail.

Reviews for Terbinafine to treat Onychomycosis, Toenail

Lamisil (terbinafine): "I have had toenail fungus for about 8 years and managed to get it out of one nail only to have it spread to another. I found it incredibly distressing when it spread to be on three of my nails so I started the pills. The first week I felt fine with maybe a little loose stool, by the second week I’ve had terrible headaches, diarrhoea, cramps, fatigue and depression. I don’t think I can continue with this medication."

Sooty12346 January 15, 2018

"My fungal nail was not responding to treatment to paint the nail, so the doctor proscribed Terbinafine tablets. After 3 days of taking the tablets, I developed flu like symptoms, which worsened over the next few days into constant headaches, dizziness, abdominal pain, excessive saliva production, feelings of nausea and general lethargy, to the extent that I was unable to sleep and had to take time off work. Stopped the tablets immediately - fixing a toenail is not worth feeling this awful. Seeking other treatments now."

McClarenMJ January 11, 2018

"Suffered with toenail fungus for 10-15 years, finally decided to act. Extremely effective. 3 month course. Now 6 months after initially starting. Toenails just about completely grown out. Only side effect was nausea.. But at times this was no joke. Had to hop off a few buses earlier than anticipated for fear of throwing up. The nausea was most prevalent in the first 2 weeks then settled. Had it persisted I would have struggled to keep taking the meds. I, glad I did however, as it was definitely worth it in the end. I'm now dusting my socks with anti fungal powder each morning and most enjoyable of all... I'm able to show my feet in public. Don't suffer any longer... I should have acted years ago."

Les chanticleer (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2018

"I took Terbinafine which was prescribed for 90 days orally, I took it optimistically after reading all the horrible reviews online to find out I would only have the same problem. Day one, it was bearable salty taste mild headache mild nausea, day two a little bit worse accompanied by cramps, day 3 I missed work woke up with a migraine that would not subside and nausea, day 4 it was unbearable migraine fever chills throwing up I felt as if I had the flu. I called my prescribing DR, whom instructed me to go to the ER. This is a nasty nasty medication."

Attsmama (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2017

Lamisil (terbinafine): "I previously took flucozanole for toenail fungus but did not work and it actually spread to my other big toe. Frustrated, I asked my doctor to prescribe me terbinafine. I took it for 3 months and it appears that my nails are getting better. The side effects are horrible. I had an almost daily headache, felt dizzy at times, nauseous once in a while and the worst symptom was the accompanying depression that came with the drug. I'm glad the course is over. Don't want to do that again. Here's to hoping the fungus is gone."

Nicknickooooo December 19, 2017

"I have 3 toenails that have fungus and was prescribed terbinafine for a 3 month length of time. Today is my last day of the first month and really don't see much of a difference yet. It looks like some of the new growth looks pretty clear but the nails have grown so slow that I can't really even be sure. I guess I will keep using it and see how it progresses in the remaining months."

Jaim1989 December 16, 2017

"I started this on July the 6th of this year (2017) I'm completing a 6 month course it finishes next month in Jan :) it took like 4 months to show a dramatic change ! It's def getting there I wanted to make a comment before but wanted to wait !! So I have had toenail and fingernail fungus since I was 12 from working with plants and what not . I never ever showed my feet to anyone so embarrassed lololololllll . Anyways then my fingernails got infected !! N I was like noooooooo so my mum never took me as a teen I waited till I turned 19 and went to the doc myself . Got prescribed terabinafine 2 years ago for 3 months and it got rid of my fingernail infection and I didn't tell the doc I had toenail fungus cause it was soooo bad . Part 1"

Yuns December 4, 2017

"I had toenail fungus bad for 10 years, on 9 toes. 5 of them looked hideous, like rams horns. I was terrified of this medicine for years, didn't want to take it etc. Finally plucked up the courage to go to the Dr, she told me this medicine is misrepresented due to people mainly sharing negative reviews. I was on it for 4 months, gave up drinking, cut out caffeine, takes at least 6-8 weeks to notice anything, but after 3 months on it the fungus had stopped growing. Then I threw away all my old socks and use Clearzal on my toes daily to keep the microbes off. Now 9 months on the fungus has completely gone and my feet are soft - its amazing. A little fatigue and salty taste, other than that no side effects"

Daniel Martin November 28, 2017

"Mine started as a kid playing sports all the time and not having very good hygiene, as a result I got toenail fungus which as a kid I didn't care. Now as an adult I have one constant fear of people wondering why I don't wear open toe shoes, but after asking my doctor he recommended terbinafine for 3 months one pill a day, its been amazing no side affects thank god. My nail after 15yrs are clearing up there growing like normal nails the skin on my feet is smooth for the first time in years nothing over the counter ever worked for me. I'm so thankful I came across this drug, feels like in taking my life back and might go cray shoe shopping hell I've never owned a pair of sandals!!!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2017

"I had a toe nail fungus years ago, and used terbinafine. I didn't have any side effects. It cleared my toenail fungus. This is my second time using the medication, due to me getting toenail fungus again from a nail salon :( I'm very happy with the medication . It really works. My husband and I see changes already, clear beautiful toenails once again. I'm happy, and very satisfied ."

Keshia G (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2017

Lamisil (terbinafine): "My husband suffered from toe nail fungus since I met him for years. One day he was given free samples of lamisil for a three month period. He took it and his toe nails miraculously cured! From super yellow nails that were impossible to cut to natural healthy nails. He worked in construction so wearing steel toe shoes did not helped. He got some back but after ten years, due to his job. It was not contagious though. I worked at Home Depot for a year and wore steel toe boots for protection and noticed a bit of fungus growing on my big toe!, I requested lamisil and the Dr. Was reluctant to prescribe it for the possible side effects, all bodies are different so let's see what happens. I don't believe in topical antifungal!"

CYO October 10, 2017

"My toenail fungus was severe. Five nails of ten were thickened and had shades ranging from yellow to brown to black. Started taking Terbisil in June 2017 and by the middle of July my toenails were visibly growing out. Went back to the doctor in October 2017 and she said two months really is the recommended time frame for taking the pills as it is most effective in treating the fungus. So I took the pills for 4wks first and now I have another 6 weeks to take. It was good treatment though. Side effects were non-existent. I imagine different folks have their own experience."

Dae Girl October 8, 2017

Lamisil (terbinafine): "It is SO important to get rid of ALL of your shoes and socks at about the 3 month mark of taking the prescription, when you are starting to see healthy toe nail growth, or it will keep coming back. Definitely worth the sacrifice!!"

Jenner23 September 29, 2017

"I have toenail fungus for the past 5 years and I found this drug is magic. I have completed 3 months medication and I have another 3 months to go and my toenails are 80% better. So definitely recommend this medication."

Manjit chatha September 7, 2017

"I had nail fungus for about 30 years on two nails, it was starting to bother me, so I asked a podiatrist for an anti-fungal medication. I was given terbinafine for 3 months. For the last week of the medication and about 2 months after, I had mouth sores; very uncomfortable; I have never had them before. Also, it seemed to suppress my immune system; about 2 weeks after I stopped taking it I got the worst stomach virus I have ever had; I had a fever of 102 and slept for 36 hours straight; I was vacationing with five other people at the time including a 2 year old, a transplant recipient on immune suppressants and a 76 year old; no one else got more than a mild upset stomach for a day; I usually don't get sick; I guess I am out of space."

kfa (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2017

"I have been dealing with the fungus for ~25 years. Started with one and migrated to all of them. My PCP refused to put me on it for years. "May not even work? "Can cause liver damage." I have a history of HBP and cholesterol, but under control now without meds. I moved to Chicago, got a new PCP. Revisited it with him. Started the three month cycle. No side affects, very brief change in my tastebuds and liver fuction is normal. I read the reviews and did my due diligence. After three months I have seen a dramatic improvement. My feet were very dried out and scales. That is much better. Good nail beds are growing out. I am excited to see what happens now after the prescription is done. My nails were bad! Very happy I tried it!"

Wagtom73 August 29, 2017

"After a few days of use I came down with flu like symptoms; nausea, migraine, runny nose, fever, chills, body pains, blurred vision, diarrhea. I ended up having to take 2 days off from work to recover from this drug. I would highly recommend using caution when taking. Will not be continuing..."

Christine096 (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2017

Lamisil (terbinafine): "My comments will be in 2 parts. Part 1) I've had fungus on my big toenails for the last 20+ years and have tried everything. In 2012, my primary doctor prescribed generic Lamisil (Terbinafine) which I took for about a month without issue. At refill time, the pharmacy changed to a different Terbinafine provider and told me not to be surprised by the difference in the appearance of the pills. After a week, I developed a rash on my upper body accompanied by fevers & chills. My doctor ordered me to discontinue the Terbinafine pills and the symptoms ended. At the time it wasn't clear if I had simply had an allergic reaction to a new ingredient in the 2nd batch of Terinafine pills. Regardless, I discontinued the pills and my fungus never cleared."

WW-NJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Part 2) Still frustrated by toenail fungus, in June 2017, I asked a foot doctor to prescribe generic Lamisil. Less than a week after I started taking it, I started getting fevers & chills, my urine turned dark, I had a loss of appetite, trouble sleeping and felt itchy all over. I felt terrible but hoped I could get through it by taking Advil for the fevers/chills and Benydryl for the itching. Then I got a rash on my upper body again. None of the other side effects were going away. I discontinued use. Lab work showed my liver count was high. After a few days off Terbinafine all negative side effects have stopped. I will go back for lab work again next week and expect it to show my liver function to be normal. Use caution with this drug!"

WW-NJ (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2017

Lamisil (terbinafine): "I was prescribed Lamisil for 3 months as an oral tablet to treat fingernail and toenail fungus. Topical medications did nothing. The fungus is basically cleared up on my toes but of the 5 fingernails that had it, only 3 responded. I had blood draws for liver function frequently and had no side effects from the medication. I do not drink alcohol so my liver was not under much stress. Since not all the fingernails have improved, I'm hoping I can start another 3 month treatment."

caneartist1 July 15, 2017

"Took terbinafine for 7 months & it has not led to any improvement in my toe nails-they are still discoloured with fungus which also causes some of the nails to thicken & become difficult to cut."

fred man July 2, 2017

"I have suffered from toenail fungus for about 10 years finally gave up after trying everything over the counter and all home remedies doctor prescribed pills for six weeks after having blood work. Had labs done every six weeks for a total of nine months it does take about that time to start seeing a huge difference must take medication daily nail seem to grow slower during the process. The results are amazing I am showing off my toes after so many years"

Sanders04 June 30, 2017

"I have suffered from ugly fungus in my toe nails for over 40 years along with dry feet with skin scaling off all over. I tried just about every off the the counter medication to no avail. Finally, I decided to visit a podiatrist who prescribed a 3 months of Terbinafine treatment. I tested my liver before the treatment and then three times during and after treatment. The test results were good and there was no effects by the drug on my liver. During the first 2 weeks of treatment, I noticed a significant improvement in my dry feet. The scaling stopped completely and to my amazement, my feet looked healthy. The toe nails, however, took much longer to heal. Today, one year later my toe nails are completely clear and no signs of fungus period!"

Charlie Tea (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2017

"Unfortunately, this medicine gave me horrible hives. Instead I tried a mixture of vicks vaporub and athlete's foot medicine as recommended by my husband's doctor. Twice a day. Worked fantastic. Took about 6 to 8 months, but toes are now clear and healthy. Save your money."

bllt2 June 17, 2017

"I have just finished my 12 week prescription of Terbinafine for my toenail fungus that effected my right big toenail which was bad, but not horrible and my 2 small toenails. I had read some of the other reviews and was worried about the side effects. I thankfully did not have any. My nails have cleared out wonderfully and cannot wait to see them when they are fully grown out."

Pugglemommy2005 June 14, 2017