User Reviews for Terbinafine

Also known as: Lamisil, Terbinex

Learn more about Terbinafine.

Terbinafine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Onychomycosis, Toenail.

Reviews for Terbinafine to treat Onychomycosis, Toenail

"I'm a engineer and truly tried every remedy you can google. Vinegar, bleach, tea tree oil, multiple "online" ointments, Penlac twice, Laser Pinpointe procedure for $1400, it was too the point I had no nail really. All with varying results the key is ALWAYS TEMPORARY!! I spent at least $2000 over the last 15 years on my problem!! Being a health fanatic workout guy do you have any idea how hard it is to be the guy who doesn't show his FEET of course you do!! I was so SCARED that Terbinafine would damage my liver, because don't we all think we will be the 1:10,0000 that has a problem. 68 days in not a hint of fungus 1/2 way up my nail!! Will update and show pics wish I would have done this 15 years ago!!"

44 suffering for 15 years (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2016

"I tried this medication but after about 3 weeks the side effects were too much for me I had pain in my liver so I stopped. There are other solutions but beware if you use google you are going to end up on a wild goose chase of fake reviews from non medical professionals trying to sell you junk. Many sites will disguise themselfs often citing clinical trials to make them look convincing. Then it dawned on me to search pubmed.gov, this is the website where official clinical trials results are shared. Search for the terms "toenail fungus" or "Onychomycosis". I don't have a cure yet as I'm still reading up but once you've found the active ingredient you can then search for products containing it. Ignore ALL reviews from members of the public."

Lee R2 October 25, 2016

"Have had toenail fungal infection for years. Was recently prescribed Terbinafine. 3 month script. Been taking for a month so far. Have noticed the associated scaliness on my underfoot has subsided and has gotten smoother with less dryness and cracking. Two more months to go! No noticeable side effects, besides a slightly acidic taste in my mouth like reflux, but I'm not sure if this is from the pills or not, just mentioning it... Not life altering in any case."

Geieibegeiwojwbeje (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2016

"I suffered with nasty toenail fungus on both of my big toes for almost 15yrs. Both nails were thick, black and yellow and very crooked. I was ashamed and embarrassed to show my toes to anyone!! I finally decided I could no longer take the pain and suffering. It took months for me to see any change but I was determined to stick with it. I felt it was my last hope after trying so many different other cream and oils before. After about 8 months I finally saw a difference in the health of my toenails. I took the medicine for about a year before I was completely satisfied. Fortunately for me I had zero side effects at all. I am very pleased with the outcome, but you definitely have to have some patience taking this medicine."

Nikki-Cole26 October 20, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Did not work! Used the 12 week treatment. Saw an improvement and after cutting off the whole nail it looked like it was growing back healthy. Fast forward to now and the other nail is doing the same thing the first one did. Not only that but the first nail is still not growing back properly and is starting to turn yellow...again! It's like the medicine didn't even kill all of it. Now I have to figure out something else as the second stupid nail is turning yellow and starting to have the same issues as the first."

Jess30276 October 13, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine): "After reading comments on here I thought I would writ a realistic review based on the truth. I took terbinafine tablets for 6 months. I didn't have any side affects and had 1 blood test. My organs were all fine. I have read on here that people's toes started to clear within a month. I can safely say that this is untrue. You will not see any results until the fungus has been killed and a new unaffected nail starts to grow. This can take over a year. For me I think it was about 10 -11 months. So 4 or so months after I finished the treatment. My nail didn't look any different from when I started. And then if by magic a new clean nail started growing. At this stage I got rid of all my socks and shoes and replaced them. Toe nails grow slowly!!"

Judd789 October 1, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine): "I suffered for almost 6 years with all ten toes badly infected. The sight was awful!!! I had to wear closed in shoes ALL the time. I took 3 months of treatment and seen a SIGNIFICANT change!! After 3 months of being off the treatment, I asked my doctor for another round because it is an extremely STUBBORN fungus!! Thankfully after that round, I now have normal, beautiful ten toes!! I had my 1st pedicure in years and I went sandal crazy shopping!! I don't know of any side effects and if there where any, it was nothing I noticed. I was afraid of the risks, but EVERYTHING is a risk!! This was a risk worth taking!!"

Tee2014 September 22, 2016

"I had suffered with fungal toenail infection since I was about 4 years old after I dropped a paving slab on my foot and it ruined the nail/nail bed. My big toenail toenail was thickened, discoloured, a bit ingrown and raised at the end, very painful if stepped on/knocked and always falling off. I was particularly conscious as a teenager about the appearance and smell of it and had tried every topical lacquer and a few homeopathic suggestions. Nothing seemed to work and eventually I was prescribed terbinafine for 3 months, and it worked like a treat. I did not have any side effects, not even loss of taste like a lot of the reviews say, and my toenail was completely cleared and has been so now for 7 years. Very happy with Terbinafine!"

ASho784 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Took for 3 months. Painless. Absolutely no side effects. At end, the fungus appeared maybe 15-20% better. The dermatologist said the toenail had to grow out and would not renew the prescription. Will check with my Family practice doctor to see if another 30-60 days possible. Very sorry to hear the experiences of others. Completely fine for me."

rick12 September 6, 2016

"I have 3 pills left. That will complete my 3 months. I guess my nails. Got a little lighter than they were but the thickness still there the only thing I can say is I didn't get any side effects and had my blood tested twice and all organs are normal"

lourocks August 11, 2016

"Took this med for toe fungus for 3 months. Fungus is gone but absolutely most horrible constant metallic taste in my mouth which makes me constantly swallow. On top of that it has definitely caused a loss in taste as flavors are dull and even spicy food seems bland. The worst part is that I finished the meds 2 months ago and I've not regained my taste, my appetite or gotten rid of the constant metallic taste in my mouth. I'm horrified to think it's permanent and I'll have to live with this side effect the rest of my life. NEVER would have taken this medication had I known it might cause this damage to my ability to enjoy food/life forever."

Chubbier July 28, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Took the medication for 35 days, was onto my second script, when I got loss of taste, my mouth tasted like sour milk 24/7, when eating sweet food I couldn't taste the sweet, and anything sweet made the sour milk taste in my mouth worse. Also eating dairy gave the same effect. Eating salted food was tasteless. Great DIET PILL, as everything tastes so foul, including water. Went to the Doctor, says stop taking it, and the foul taste could last for several weeks, return if still no good in six weeks. My toe nail was starting to look better, but needed to complete the course. Will have to revert to natural method tea tree oil. Also got headaches with this medication, although that could be due to lack of water as drinking water tastes sour."

Marinoz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2016

"I have probably been battling this fungus, toenails and actually whole foot - - dry and cracked heels always - - most of my adult life. I am 60+. I knew that topical wasn't for me. I had several medical opinions over many years. Some podiatrists would say I had fungus, others would say not. Finally diagnosed by NP in dermatologists office. She put me on Terbinafine. I have taken it every single day for 2 months so far. This is very significant for me, as I hate taking medication. Not drinking is easy. Staying out of the sun is very hard. I have called my derm's office to ask when I will see improvement. Waiting for call back. No perceived side effects, although maybe lack of energy?"

Piscesdee July 17, 2016

"After two months of taking this medicine I suddenly developed a terrible oily, metallic taste in my mouth. It is constant and dampens the taste of all foods and drinks. After I eat I have a greasy feeling on my tongue. I stopped taking the medicine because of the side effects. I didn't realize before how common this side effect is or I would not have taken this medicine. I hope my sense of taste returns quickly. I feel like I poisoned myself."

Hollygood (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

"I took Terbinafine for only 4 days but experienced loss of taste, loss of appetite, constant tiredness, and painful swollen lymph nodes. Blood pressure dropped and lost 8 pounds. Went to urgent care and had CBC and urinalysis. Everything came back fine and Dr. Confirmed the reaction to medicine. I still feel lousy after stopping Terbinafine a week ago. Don't risk it, awful medicine! Yuck!"

Anonymous user 2 July 15, 2016

"I'd suffered for 30 years with both toenail and fingernail fungus. My life was dramatically affected as I was never able to wear sandals or when I was barefoot for any reason, people stared at my feet in disgust. When I was with clients showing them work on my iPad or iPhone, I had to hide my thumb or always wear a band aid. I took pictures of my gradual transformation over a 6 month period of Terbinafine use. It was nothing short of miraculous. The confidence I have, the shame is gone and I am beyond thrilled with the results. I tried every snake oil, holistic and old wives tale... I could hug every person involved in the creation of this medication. So here's a verbal hug, mmmmmmm. Thank you for changing my life."

Markie-mark July 14, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine): "The good: Try this product. I was always embarrassed to tell my doctor and afraid of side effects. Well all the topical tricks and liquids and over the counter stuff never worked. I can't tell you the last time I had nice looking toenails or feet. The skin on the bottom of my feet was always dry and white and scaly. Not anymore! My wife was shocked at how good they look. And I am getting 4 beautiful toenails growing in! Amazing! Never been so happy to wear flip flops! The bad: I almost stopped taking Lamisil as the first few days I felt very agitated. It went away after a week and now I am fine. I did develop a rash on my arms which I am not sure is a result of the Lamisil treatment or simply a coincidence. But honestly it does work."

Tommy Brady (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2016

"Did not work for me at all. I had dermatophytes confirmed by a doctor; took Terbinafine for 12 weeks with zero improvement. I am very disappointed as now the only other option looks to be expensive laser treatment."

Funky Toe (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2016

"For those of you that experience a rash with the medication, try filling it at a different pharmacy. I had the rash and it was pretty severe. A new podiatrist said that it could be from the fillers in the pill and she had luck with switching patients to a different generic. Worked for me!!"

Mandyann1000 June 9, 2016

"I have been taking this drug for about 2.5 months. I had toenail fungus on my toes, it actually hurt me to walk. The fungus started on one toenail and low and behold spread to 7 of my toenails, so don't think that it won't spread cause it does. I did a liver test before taking to make sure my liver was fine. I was scared to take because of the side effects I've heard, however I really haven't had any. When I first started taking I had a little diarrhea and minor loss of appetite, but like I've stated, I'm now 2.5 months into taking it and no problems. My toes all appear to be clearing up nicely, I have about 1.5 months left of treatment and I suspect that they will all be fine when I've completed my medication cycle."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

"I used the product for the prescribed 90 days and it worked!! Cleared up this problem I had for 7 years!! It works!!"

Rocksinger May 28, 2016

"Ive been on terbinafine for about 4 weeks now. Its a miracle worker. All 10 of my toes are infected and have been for about 10 years, finally worked up the courage to take it after reading all these bad reviews and being sketchy about it, I decided to give it a try. Within 4 weeks both of my big toenails are halfway cleared up and 2 others are on their way as well! Moving along fairly quickly. I didnt have any side effects really besides a change in my urine/BM smell but thats to be expected. Its the best thing ive done. Looking forward to this summer and showing off my FEET finally! Dont let the other reviews scare you off everyone takes differently. Good luck! -female, 24"

Oosally (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

"I have been on this medication for over 8 months now to clear up my toenail infection on both feet. Initially I was prescribed the lacquer form, but this was putting a greasy like film on the toe nail and I had to put it on twice a day, not helpful if you work in a office and have shoes and socks on all day. I have a blood test ever month to check my liver, so far all is good. At first taken the medication gave me slight headaches they pasted within a week, this is the only side effect I have had with this medication. My nails were thick and yellow and they were not growing the way they should have done, started noticing change first month, at this stage of the treatment, my nails have changed to theright colour and thinned. Recommend this."

on way to clearance (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2016

"5 weeks now and minor rash covering 70% of body. No results to report to date. It's a wait and see. Will visit dr. Taking 1 / 250 mg / day for 45 days. ."

PHILBEE (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

"My Mom took this. Make sure you have your liver checked often while on this med. I mean every week. My Dad is sitting here telling me how she suffered while on this med. She did not know how much she need to have her liver checked while taking it."

Louise Mandrell April 18, 2016