Terbinafine Tablets and Hydroxypropyl-Chitosan Nail LacquerPronunciation
Generic Name: Terbinafine Tablets and Hydroxypropyl-Chitosan Nail Lacquer (TER bin a feen/hye DROX ee PROE pil/KYE toe san)
Brand Name: Terbinex
Uses of Terbinafine Tablets and Hydroxypropyl-Chitosan Nail Lacquer:
- It is used to treat fungal infections.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Terbinafine Tablets and Hydroxypropyl-Chitosan Nail Lacquer?
- If you have an allergy to terbinafine or any other part of terbinafine tablets and hydroxypropyl-chitosan nail lacquer.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Kidney disease or liver disease.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take this medicine.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with terbinafine tablets and hydroxypropyl-chitosan nail lacquer.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Terbinafine Tablets and Hydroxypropyl-Chitosan Nail Lacquer?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take terbinafine tablets and hydroxypropyl-chitosan nail lacquer. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- It may take several months to see full effect.
- You may get sunburned more easily. Avoid sun, sunlamps, and tanning beds. Use sunscreen and wear clothing and eyewear that protects you from the sun.
- Limit your use of caffeine (for example, tea, coffee, cola) and chocolate. Use with this medicine may cause nervousness, shakiness, and a fast heartbeat.
- Low white blood cell counts have rarely happened with terbinafine tablets and hydroxypropyl-chitosan nail lacquer. This may lead to a higher chance of getting an infection. Tell your doctor if you have ever had a low white blood cell count. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of infection like fever, chills, or sore throat.
- Liver problems have happened with this medicine. Sometimes, this has been very bad and has led to the need for a liver transplant or death. Liver problems may happen in people with or without liver disease. Talk with the doctor.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly blood problems like thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura/hemolytic uremic syndrome (TTP/HUS) have happened with terbinafine tablets and hydroxypropyl-chitosan nail lacquer in some people. Call your doctor right away if you feel very tired or weak or have any bruising or bleeding; dark urine or yellow skin or eyes; pale skin; change in the amount of urine passed; change in eyesight; change in strength on 1 side is greater than the other, trouble speaking or thinking, or change in balance; or fever.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly reaction has happened with this medicine. Most of the time, this reaction has signs like fever, rash, or swollen glands with problems in body organs like the liver, kidney, blood, heart, muscles and joints, or lungs. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using terbinafine tablets and hydroxypropyl-chitosan nail lacquer while you are pregnant.
- This medicine may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If this medicine is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
How is this medicine (Terbinafine Tablets and Hydroxypropyl-Chitosan Nail Lacquer) best taken?
Use terbinafine tablets and hydroxypropyl-chitosan nail lacquer as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Use on nails and nail beds every day.
- Put the nail solution on after you wash and dry your nails. It is best to put the nail solution on at bedtime.
- Do not put on open wounds.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If the next dose is less than 4 hours away, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Low mood (depression).
- Trouble swallowing.
- Swollen gland.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- Blood in the urine.
- Pain when passing urine.
- Pale skin.
- Lupus has happened with this medicine, as well as lupus that has gotten worse in people who already have it. Tell your doctor if you have lupus. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of lupus like a rash on the cheeks or other body parts, sunburn easy, muscle or joint pain, chest pain or shortness of breath, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Changes in taste or smell like loss of taste or smell have happened with terbinafine tablets and hydroxypropyl-chitosan nail lacquer. This most often goes back to normal after this medicine is stopped but may last for a long time or may never go back to normal. Call your doctor right away if you have a change in taste or loss of taste, weight loss without trying, change in mood like low mood (depression), or are not hungry.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Terbinafine Tablets and Hydroxypropyl-Chitosan Nail Lacquer?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Upset stomach.
- Nose or throat irritation.
- Signs of a common cold.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Terbinafine Tablets and Hydroxypropyl-Chitosan Nail Lacquer?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- Protect from light.
- Protect from heat or open flame.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about terbinafine tablets and hydroxypropyl-chitosan nail lacquer, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about terbinafine tablets and hydroxypropyl-chitosan nail lacquer. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using terbinafine tablets and hydroxypropyl-chitosan nail lacquer.
Review Date: September 6, 2017
More about terbinafine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 236 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous antifungals
- Terbinafine Hydrochloride (AHFS Monograph)
- Terbinafine (FDA)
- Terbinafine (Systemic) (Wolters Kluwer)