User Reviews for Ciclopirox

Also known as: Ciclodan, CNL8 Nail, Loprox, Loprox TS, Pedipirox-4, Penlac, Penlac Nail Lacquer

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ciclopirox.

Seborrheic Dermatitis

Tinea Pedis

1 review 129 medications
Summary of Ciclopirox reviews 6.4 25 reviews

Reviews for Ciclopirox

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Follow-up/status - It's been 9 mos on ciclopirox and my two big toe nails continue to get better. It will end up being longer than 12 mos to get both nails completely clear because the nails grow so slow while using this nail lacquer. But still worth the wait because my nails are growing back clear and fungus free. Key is to file down the nail so the lacquer can get to the fungus, and clip off the fungus nail weekly. You have to be committed and persistent, but it DOES work."

Lexilou2 August 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tinea Pedis: "According to the manufacturer and my dermatologist, this gel does not get absorbed by the skin, hence will not cause systemic side effects. Experience says otherwise. After applying it to my athlete's foot, including infected toenail, I became extremely dizzy. The side effect disappeared upon discontinuance. Later, the fungus spread to my groin, so I thought I would give the gel another try. Again, I became very dizzy so washed it off. I recovered immediately upon doing so."

Luke45 July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I had only a little nail fungus on the tips of my big toenails. I used Penlac exactly as instructed. After weeks my nails became brittle and the fungus had spread throughout the entire two large toenails. This nail laquer I would never recommend to anyone! Since using it I have struggled with bad toenails on both big toes."

Norme June 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "So far, so good. It's been 3 months and nail is looking clearer. I have filed my nail down to almost the nailbed in order to get the ciclopirox to the fungus. I clip out dead nail and fungus gunk every week when I remove the built up lacquer. I believe this has helped in the nail getting clearer. I really think this medicine is working. Will post again in 3 months."

LexiLou January 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "After 45 days I am very pleased with the product. Very quick results so far. Fingers crossed."

Icanbench400 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Penlac Nail Lacquer (ciclopirox) for Onychomycosis, Fingernail: "Worked quickly and well. I learned by trial that trimming/filing away dead pieces of nail once a week when removing is key for it to work."

NC Jim S (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Developed nail fungus after an injury to my bit toe. Started cicloplorox in Setember 2015 and after 9 months, nail has grown and looks great."

Suziebutski (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "It has shown some improvement in overall clearing of big toenail. But after 6 months there are large pockets near the base of the nail showing no effects."

artm January 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I think this product is GREAT I used Jublia for over 3 months and hardly seen any improvement I see NOTICEABLE improvement after using Ciclopirox 8% in only 2 weeks!!!"

ppehs December 12, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Started using another product and was switched to Ciclopirox about 4 months ago bc of expensive of prior medication. Toe nail fungus continues to disappear. Started applying other medication in Jan '15, so it's been about 11 mos total of treatment. BE ADVISED: One use said they removed Ciclopirox with ACETONE. You DON'T need to use ACETONE. Instead, ALCOHOL is specified once/week to remove the lacquer."

TomKaiser December 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pedipirox-4 (ciclopirox) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Way too much maintenance. Need too remove the lacquer nail polish with Acetone once a week. I'VE been using this for 6 months without any sign of improvement."

PaulG103 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I've been using this medication for a year and have seen improvement! My big toenail completely fell off prior to starting the medication due to how bad it was. It has slowly been growing in healthier."

I hate fungus! (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 14, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Have had toenail fungus on 4 toes of one foot. Big and little toes for 50 years. Other 2 for 10 years. Tried all sorts of creams. Also spread to my heal. I dealt with my heal first. Continued emery board use after showers and got rid of that. Used ciclopirox on the toes for 2 years. Applied once per day. It is sticky. I let it dry a little and then put my white sock on. The cotton of the sock stuck to the polish a little per day. In 2 weeks a mat forms that can be pulled off after a shower to start over again. No need to try to remove the polish with solvent every week. 3 nails are now fungus free. The big toe is 70% free. I've started again on the big toe. "

driftless (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I have had 3 of my toenails in BAD shape for years. After 5 yrs or so my right big toenail was 75% infected. I could slide a toothpick in it about3/4 of an inch! I've tried Several home remedies, tea tree oil and other over the counter meds and no improvement. My mom had this ciclopirox nail lacquer that she barely used and gave it to me. I figured what's the harm. I took a picture after a month with some improvement. It's been about 4 months and I am SOOO happy with the progress!!! Before I had 75% infected hollow nail. Now I have 25% infected. It has grown in nice and pink and the nail is no longer hollow :) I have not used it every day. I use it like 3 -4 times a week. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS SO FAR!"

Gennel (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ciclodan (ciclopirox) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "It literally worked overnight! I painted it on my toes and then the next day I was able to slide a file under my ingrown toenail and get it out! Works great and fast!"

babysteph26 (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I've only been using this for 2 weeks. I don't file my toenails or anything like I've read here. They are not thick. They hurt - well, burn. They haven't been burning since about one week on this. It was only $12 with my insurance and I can already tell a huge difference!"

conniebky (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Penlac (ciclopirox) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I have been using "Penlac" since May 2011 and have found that my toenail has been Feeling and Looking a lot healthier since the treatment. I was very surprised at how fast I saw a difference. It was however very expensive. I am very satisfied at the results and well worth the price of a nice Nail. "

Pecan05 August 16, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Penlac Nail Lacquer (ciclopirox) for Onychomycosis, Fingernail: "Been using the cream form ciclopirox for two weeks. My nails are less painful and I have noticed softer skin in the nail because I have keratosis between nail and nail bed. Hopefully in six months my nails will be healthy again."

tATITA December 30, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I used this every single day for a year. In between visits to my podiatrist, once a week I filed the nails down (using a fresh emery board for each filing), rubbed the nail with alcohol, then applied the ciclopirox solution. It took a FULL year, but the fungus seems to be gone. This was my second bout with toenail fungus; the first time I took Lamisil by mouth, but it made me sick, so I had to stop."

Bustopher Jones February 13, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I've had toenail fungus for 40 years and tried many medications. My toenails would turn black and fall off. One doctor suggested that letting them fall off was a viable solution. Wonder what they teach in medical school these days. The only thing that helped was itraconozol which is a hazard to the liver. A dermatologist prescribed ciclopirox. I used a dremel tool to grind the infected nail down thinner and applied the ciclopirox. In 3 weeks the black fungus festerd up which I ground off. This is the most effective treatment I've used. There is a 90% improvement in this time period."

Eddie A October 27, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Penlac Nail Lacquer (ciclopirox) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I used this for 2 years and it controlled my fungus but did not get rid of it."

smbaxter1265 May 7, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I have been painting my toenail for 12 weeks and I have about 1 fourth of a new nail that is clear. I believe this will take some months in getting a good result but have tried so many other treatments that didn't work at all. I have hope."

linda w April 13, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Used this for over a year and did not have any improvements. Sticky polish and takes a long time to dry."

Anonymous April 1, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loprox (ciclopirox) for Seborrheic Dermatitis: "Loprox is excellent. I had excessive amounts of Seborrheic Dermititis. The solution cleared it up within a week. Yes, it does somewhat burn at first but in all reality is the best skin care on the market. I really do recommend that you speak to your doctor about Loprox."

Morg October 31, 2008

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loprox (ciclopirox) for Seborrheic Dermatitis: "My mother let me use some of this for my head and I can say that it does work. Although being a shampoo you may accidently use more than you think you are. Took about 6 applications before my head was completely clear. Of course it's no cure - yes it does work very well."

Anonymous March 21, 2008