User Reviews for Ciclopirox topical

Also known as: Penlac, Loprox, Ciclodan, CNL8 Nail Penlac Nail Lacquer

Ciclopirox topical has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 48 ratings on Drugs.com. 74% of those users who reviewed Ciclopirox topical reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Onychomycosis, Toenail
Tinea Pedis
Summary of Ciclopirox topical reviews 7.5 48 reviews

Reviews for Ciclopirox topical

Marla March 1, 2021

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I used this religiously as directed for 6 months with no result. I have only small fungus at the outer edges of the 2 large toenails. The fungus has not spread but has not reduced either. Will be trying something else.”

Chaimkofski February 17, 2021

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “It seems to work but it’s essential to not miss a dose or the fungus will grow back resistant to the medication. I remove the fungus 99% and then forget to dose and then it comes back this is bad.... I need to make sure it’s gone I dose, it’s gone and gone continue dosing nail grows back. One of my nails grew back but still sort of gets fungus that is easily removable. The other nail the nail still needs to be cut back to remove areas where the fungus is winning and it goes away but the fungus still appears and goes away with the application but it needs to get knocked out really good not temporarily.. which means to constantly apply the medication and try other things as well...”

Nailhead · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 25, 2021

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Beware! Though a topical med, there ARE side effects: Very noticeable hair loss, severe acne, chills, etc. Applied exactly as directed--did not miss a day in 6 months--to fingers and toes. I didn't do enough homework thinking that a topical would not have exactly the side effects I took pains to avoid with my derm, and my derm didn't tell me--or simply wasn't knowledgeable about this drug.. Kicker is that it does NOT work well--very low level of improvement--not worth the nasty side effects. I chose this med over oral terbinafine to avoid hair loss and possible liver damage. What did I get? 1/3 of my hair and counting plus what's noted above. With terbinafine, at least I'd have had a good chance at fungus-free nails. Now I'll have a liver test done because the side effects are identical to those of the terbinafine tabs. All loss and no gain with ciclopirox. An ineffective drug with severe side effects; a negative experience.”

SS1984 May 7, 2020

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I'm back with an update, I wish I would've done this sooner. I started using Ciclopirox last year and while it does take a really long time, it does work. Patience is a virtue. What I found to be the best piece of advice was something I read on here - use a nail dremmel. I bought one on ebay for about $8 (get the warranty, it won't last a year) and a good set of bits to remove the ticker part of the nail + some disposable ones, for the weekly removal. Three months in, there was a noticeable difference. My habits were fairly consistent in the first 6 months or so, applying on a daily basis, washing my feet and fully drying prior to the application. The dark spots diminished over time and the nail grew healthy - although thin - considering I'd used the dremmel to remove the surface almost on a weekly basis. I will caution to not go overboard w/ the dremmel simply because this is a long and continuous process. There's no need to eradicate your entire nail the first time. - cont-”

LexiLou2 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 26, 2018

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “This is my 3rd post. I was on Ciclopirox for a little over a year and it completely cleared my fungus. And the fungus was pretty substantial. If I could post pics to show where I started and how it looked in the end I would. I had it bad in both big toes. But I had to work hard to get rid of it. I bought an electric dremel and filed both nails down almost to the nailbed so that the medicine could reach the fungus. Then I had to constantly clip off dead pieces and dig out the fungus. You have to keep filing down the nail to keep it thin and be diligent about applying the lacquer every night, but it does work. It took over a year of hard work but it paid off. I don't think it would work for anyone who is just painting the lacquer over the nail and not doing anything else.”

driftless · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 7, 2014

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Have had toenail fungus on 4 toes of one foot. Big and little toes for 50 years. Other 2 for 10 years. Tried all sorts of creams. Also spread to my heal. I dealt with my heal first. Continued emery board use after showers and got rid of that. Used ciclopirox on the toes for 2 years. Applied once per day. It is sticky. I let it dry a little and then put my white sock on. The cotton of the sock stuck to the polish a little per day. In 2 weeks a mat forms that can be pulled off after a shower to start over again. No need to try to remove the polish with solvent every week. 3 nails are now fungus free. The big toe is 70% free. I've started again on the big toe. ”

Keijan · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 16, 2018

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Infected right toenail for about 8 years. Tried all home and natural remedies. No oral solutions because of breastfeeding. Came to this nail lacquer at an appt with my foot dr that I wanted it removed. Told her I'd rather have that toe amputated than to keep bothering with it. I wanted my toe nail completely removed and not to regrow. I'd put on a stick on nail for summer or wear closed heels. She asked that we should try the Ciclopirox for 12 months. Started NOV 2017 and so far it's clearing it out. I used to have two big black circles. I filed it down as thin as it goes before hurting and applied the topical daily; every 7th day I clean with alcohol 90%, file and clip off what I can. I can see the lunula very pink and the nail is growing flat. Before it would protrude at the cuticle. It hasn't grown much in length but has cleared astoundingly! I have faith!”

Lorena · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 10, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I had a fungus on my nail and my doctor prescribed me this topical solution. I started seeing results after 3 months when I could see my regular nail grow and not the fungus. I applied this solution every night and let it dry before getting into bed. It took my nail about 6 - 8 months for the fungus to be completely gone. I also used the topical solution on my toenail and it took about 6 months for my nail to heal and grow as a normal nail. Be patient, you will not see results within the first 2 or 3 months, it takes time.”

Wovenyarn · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 13, 2018

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “After over a decade of 4 infected toes, all but one are 100% clear. I went to the podiatrist to ask to have the nails removed. The big toenail was already falling off. I was breastfeeding so I couldn’t use the oral medication. The podiatrist told me to try this medicine and said it probably would not work. Less than 6 months later it is almost completely gone. The one smaller toe that still shows signs of fungus is growing out clear. Not sure why that one took a little longer but this year is the first time I’ve worn sandals in almost 10 years.”

Gennel · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2013

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I have had 3 of my toenails in BAD shape for years. After 5 yrs or so my right big toenail was 75% infected. I could slide a toothpick in it about3/4 of an inch! I've tried Several home remedies, tea tree oil and other over the counter meds and no improvement. My mom had this ciclopirox nail lacquer that she barely used and gave it to me. I figured what's the harm. I took a picture after a month with some improvement. It's been about 4 months and I am SOOO happy with the progress!!! Before I had 75% infected hollow nail. Now I have 25% infected. It has grown in nice and pink and the nail is no longer hollow :) I have not used it every day. I use it like 3 -4 times a week. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS SO FAR!”

Waybad1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I have been using this product for about 2 months. I filed my nails down as much as possible without causing discomfort (both my big toenails and 2 fingernails on my right hand). I have been diligent about putting it on heavy every night. I don't care if I have to buy more. It definitely works, but I don't think it would have without the filing down of the nail.”

LexiLou January 25, 2017

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “So far, so good. It's been 3 months and nail is looking clearer. I have filed my nail down to almost the nailbed in order to get the ciclopirox to the fungus. I clip out dead nail and fungus gunk every week when I remove the built up lacquer. I believe this has helped in the nail getting clearer. I really think this medicine is working. Will post again in 3 months.”

T C · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I have to say this nail lacquer works. You have to remove the fungus through nail clipping and filing. Within 5 months you will see a big difference. I had 2 infected toenails. One bottle cost $90 which lasted almost 2 1/2 months.”

SS1984 April 22, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Site of infection: Right foot/ Big toe. I first noticed some discoloring in the nail ~12 months or so ago, then it turned to white spots by Feb- March 19’. I'm on week 3, going on week 4 of using this. Started using on 3/27, so almost a full month. I’ve stayed diligent applying daily, changing out every 7 days. So far - not much improvement, but I understand that results take time. I took the feedback of others who’ve had success using this and 1) bought a dremel to file down the surface 2) decided to remove the dead/ white portion the nail off- for max exposure to the RX...figd’ dead anyway so why not. One thing I noticed is that the other areas of the nail are continuing to become blotchy/ white(not sure if this is normal even though- if anyone knows) Should I expect for it to get worse before it gets better? Anyways - everyone’s feedback and updates have been helpful so I’ll update in a few weeks....”

Pecan05 August 16, 2011

Penlac (ciclopirox) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I have been using "Penlac" since May 2011 and have found that my toenail has been Feeling and Looking a lot healthier since the treatment. I was very surprised at how fast I saw a difference. It was however very expensive. I am very satisfied at the results and well worth the price of a nice Nail. ”

Eddie A October 27, 2009

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I've had toenail fungus for 40 years and tried many medications. My toenails would turn black and fall off. One doctor suggested that letting them fall off was a viable solution. Wonder what they teach in medical school these days. The only thing that helped was itraconozol which is a hazard to the liver. A dermatologist prescribed ciclopirox. I used a dremel tool to grind the infected nail down thinner and applied the ciclopirox. In 3 weeks the black fungus festerd up which I ground off. This is the most effective treatment I've used. There is a 90% improvement in this time period.”

TomKaiser December 9, 2015

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Started using another product and was switched to Ciclopirox about 4 months ago bc of expensive of prior medication. Toe nail fungus continues to disappear. Started applying other medication in Jan '15, so it's been about 11 mos total of treatment. BE ADVISED: One use said they removed Ciclopirox with ACETONE. You DON'T need to use ACETONE. Instead, ALCOHOL is specified once/week to remove the lacquer.”

Bustopher Jones February 13, 2010

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I used this every single day for a year. In between visits to my podiatrist, once a week I filed the nails down (using a fresh emery board for each filing), rubbed the nail with alcohol, then applied the ciclopirox solution. It took a FULL year, but the fungus seems to be gone. This was my second bout with toenail fungus; the first time I took Lamisil by mouth, but it made me sick, so I had to stop.”

Lexilou2 August 19, 2017

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Follow-up/status - It's been 9 mos on ciclopirox and my two big toe nails continue to get better. It will end up being longer than 12 mos to get both nails completely clear because the nails grow so slow while using this nail lacquer. But still worth the wait because my nails are growing back clear and fungus free. Key is to file down the nail so the lacquer can get to the fungus, and clip off the fungus nail weekly. You have to be committed and persistent, but it DOES work.”

Tara · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 18, 2020

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “ciclopirox works for fungal nails! I applied it almost daily for almost a year (I missed a few doses over the year). I also took biotin daily to encourage nail growth. It took a long time, but it worked.”

717 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I used ciclopirox regularly, at first every day then I would forget every now and again. I only filed down 2-3 times. Removed with alcohol once. My toenail got white patches and felt weird. Today, about 4-6 months in, my toenail just fell off!! It felt weird but was movable and I lifted it right off. Looks like fungus is still at base where it started. Not as bad though. On nail it looked like it was growing out but base was white and cloudy. I dont know if filing once a week would have stopped this? I will try putting lacquer on what is left of nail bed.”

conniebky · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2013

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I've only been using this for 2 weeks. I don't file my toenails or anything like I've read here. They are not thick. They hurt - well, burn. They haven't been burning since about one week on this. It was only $12 with my insurance and I can already tell a huge difference!”

I hate fungus! · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 14, 2015

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I've been using this medication for a year and have seen improvement! My big toenail completely fell off prior to starting the medication due to how bad it was. It has slowly been growing in healthier.”

Worth a Try · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2018

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I've only been using this product for a couple of weeks and do not expect results this soon. However, I'm finding that the treatment is getting sticky and white around the neck of the bottle and wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I'm beginning my third week and have cleaned the neck of the bottle off to see if it happens again. The stickiness is very unexpected. I'm questioning the treatment's effectiveness. Thank you.”

linda w April 13, 2009

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I have been painting my toenail for 12 weeks and I have about 1 fourth of a new nail that is clear. I believe this will take some months in getting a good result but have tried so many other treatments that didn't work at all. I have hope.”

John Guy · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 1, 2020

Penlac Nail Lacquer (ciclopirox) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I use Penlac for two years, it did not cure my toe nail fungal, it did not get any better. I change to use another drug Jublia, the effect is much better. I have used the Jublia for 6 month. I can see my toe nail fungal is improved, my toe nail is not as thick as before, the area of fungal is much less now.”

Funky Fungi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 20, 2018

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “My right big toe for about 5 years. I tried the Vicks, soaked in 100% bleach, and all the other home remedies. Drives me crazy and I am a guy. It got so thick and yellowish and crumbly. Picked up some of this drug OTC in Portugal in July and followed directions. Stuck with it removing old once week, filing down until I have a little blood coming through. It is mid January and in about 6 months I would say it is 70% better. Very happy. I just hope it is a cure and not something I have to deal with for the rest of my life. I would prefer amputation.”

tATITA December 30, 2010

Penlac Nail Lacquer (ciclopirox) for Onychomycosis, Fingernail: “Been using the cream form ciclopirox for two weeks. My nails are less painful and I have noticed softer skin in the nail because I have keratosis between nail and nail bed. Hopefully in six months my nails will be healthy again.”