User Reviews for Terbinafine (Page 3)

Also known as: Lamisil, Terbinex

Cutaneous Candidiasis 1.5
Summary of Terbinafine reviews 6.7 387 reviews

Reviews for Terbinafine

Maria1212 · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2019

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Tinea Corporis: “This medicine did not help me at all with my ringworm issue. I have not noticed any difference before and after the usage. I was using it for 3 weeks. Before I was using other brand with terbinafine hydrochloride and it works really good. But you don't have that spray in UK, so I decided to try Lamisil.I t's a fail! Hope it helps someone.”

JH · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “After reading a lot of reviews on here, I was so anxious about taking this drug that I'm surprised I did. But after living with toenail fungus for 25+ years, and then I got it on one finger, I had to give it a try. I'm very glad I did. I had no side effects from the medication. The worst part was the anxiety about potential side effects! I just finished it 2 weeks ago but so far my fingernail looks vastly improved and I see healthy regrowth on my toes. I was really scared to take this medication so I wanted to tell my story here. My practitioner and the pharmacist both said one glass of wine per day was fine with this medication. I had liver tests before starting treatment, mid-way through and at the end. All were fine, no change.”

Abbi · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Was prescribed this medication after getting an infection on my toe from a pedicure. I took it for exactly 4 weeks. Woke up one morning last week and could absolutely taste nothing! This is a known horrific side effect of terbinafine! Apparently sense of taste won’t come back for at least 4-6 weeks! This is the worst!”

rachel · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “This is an update on the side effects of terbinafine, especially my experience with the side effect of insomnia since another review from Marg has had a similar experience. I posted on 4/1/19 about horrible side effects, especially insomnia. I struggled with severe insomnia for 3 months, no improvement and went to a doctor specializing in sleep medicine. He recommended a type of therapy called Stimulus Control. After about 3 weeks trying it, I made a little progress. This medicine can stay in your system for 12 weeks, it's awful. The trauma it causes to your nervous system is going to take a long time to heal. It will probably be another 4 months before my sleep truly becomes normal. When this first started for me I found many other complaints and always the question of, how long will this last? For me the answer is about 4 months to see some relief and I'm sure another 4 months to be normal again.”

Marg · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “This drug has ruined my life. I went from a fit person to one that could not concentrate, suffered with insomnia, anxiety and panic attacks after 6 weeks of taking the tablets. I have felt suicidal and suffered with depression and have felt tingling in my whole bodyI have also had dry mouth and my vision has been affected. My GP has said I may have to be on sleeping tablets for the rest which is heart breaking. This drug should be banned.”

CS July 28, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “This medication is working for me, but like many who have written reviews here, I am experiencing terrible side effects. I don't know if I can hold out for the full 3-month course (I'm only on week 4). Anxiety, heart racing, dizziness, tingling, headaches, numbness in my chest and brain fog. Thank god for this forum for letting me know that these side effects exist because I almost went to the ER thinking I was experiencing a heart attack. I also didn't know that it makes you more sensitive to caffeine so will watch how much coffee, tea coke etc that I am drinking. My toenail is mostly grown out after only 4 weeks but I've read so many stories about it coming back that I'm worried about stopping.”

C July 26, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Prior to starting treatment with terbinafine, for fungal toenails I read reviews and researched. I figured since I'm not everyone else our bodies and side effects are different so I decided try it. Well I'm glad I did, my last month of dosage was in May. My nails especially my big toes have cleared up significantly and no longer thick and yucky looking. Results don't happen overnight, my only side effects were drowsiness at times, not enough to affect my daily activities. I got hives twice but this wasn't my first time from taking medication so I already knew how to combat it. My tests always came back normal even with me having a few drinks on the weekends. If you're having issues you knew the risk of taking it just like I did. Now my nails haven't completely grown out because I keep cutting them to continually treat the nail bed with remedies. Hopefully when I revisit the doc I won't have to take another dose. It can take a full year so we'll see meanwhile iIm highly satisfied with my results so far.”

Steve · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I took it about 20 yrs ago and it worked great. This time not so much. Lost taste today and have not seen any positive effects, 33 days in. In reading these reviews, I see not to expect to taste again for a few weeks. On the up side, might loose some weight.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 13, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “This medicine was a miracle pill!!! I had athletes foot on my right foot for over 10 years and I lost all hope after no topical stuff worked. I took this for 6 months and I had no bad side effects except for a little dizziness occasionally. My nails started growing back after taking this only 3 months. I finished my six months prescription in March and all my nails are normal again and it's July!! Don't be scared to try it because you read some bad reviews. Everyone reacts differently!”

Melly · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Fingernail: “I lost all sense of taste at week five. Googled and found out many others have had this side effect! Takes about 3 to 6 weeks to get sense of taste back! The taste in my mouth is metallic and salty. Tongue feels funny. Stopped med today!”

Mags July 5, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “After 40 days I suddenly experienced a COMPLETE loss of taste; I stopped a few days ago and anxiously waiting to see what happens. Not only have I noticed no effects on my toe but the complete loss of taste is unbelievably frightening. Worrying after reading the side effects on Drugs.com that with terbinafine this taste problem is a common-ish side effect and I am not sure how long it lasts”

Jim55 July 1, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “By 62-yrs, the yellow discoloration and scaling had severely worsened and spread from big toes only, to all toes on left foot and big toe on right. Nails looked terrible, even for a dude, and I do a lot of yoga/Pilates, so am frequently barefoot in large group settings. Took the 250mg Lamasil for 12-weeks, and thankfully suffered NONE of the many potential side effects described in the warnings. Nails showed noticeable improvement after 8-weeks, but it has now been 18-weeks since I commenced treatment (have not taken pills for 6-wks.), and the big toe nails are also cured--it took longer for the scaly portion of them to grow out. I kept my nails trimmed short and filed them down as much as possible and applied tea tree oil, and Miconazole or Clotrimazole, daily to supplement the pills, because I really wanted to ensure success.”

Ladybug · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I guess I am looking for advice on taking terbinafine hydrochloride. I had a toe nail fungus for about 12 yrs on my big on each foot. I had used Jublia that goes on your nail each day. My toe started to itch quite badly. I started to scratch it with the other foot it got so itchy that I rubbed it on the edge of my mattress causing it to blister the next day. About a week later it still continued to produce blisters in a cluster on both feet with the first two toes I went to the doctor who prescribed terbinafine hydrochloride, got my blood checked everything was good to go. I also had cracking between my toes so the terbinafine and the over the counter creams should have cleared it up. The athletes foot cleared between my toes but not the first two, are still leaking a clear smelly fluid. I continue to put creams taking the terbinafine . Has anyone gone through anything similar where nothing seems to be working? I am ready to lose it.”

Worse while on it... · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2019

For Tinea Capitis: “OK so far when I have taken this med the affects of the condition go into hyperdrive. Idk if this means it's working or getting all the nasty stuff from in my skin out once n for all but I also haven't been able to do a full course of this med. Others made symptoms worse while on it tho but I will go back to dr and get a new script I'll check back in after and leave another review. Right now I just found one I had left from before and took it it used to be with the others minutes after taking I'd have tons of "weeping" but right now it's fine n good.”

Tee · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Hey guys. Was on terbinafine for a few weeks and started to get terrible chest pain, and crazy dizzy spells and brain fog. I went to the hospital they said I was fine and the chest pain continued and I went to my doctor. She said that it wasn’t the medication but to stop anyways and I felt almost like I was withdrawaling for a few days and now I’m okay? Maybe it was the meds? And maybe my body didn’t react well? It’s unfortunate because I’m so tired of this fungus coming back. I’m now at my wits end and am gonna get the nail removed and from there start using the creams and try to do as best I can. :(”

Kempiniukas June 6, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “The drug does work. I had Onychomycosis on all my toenails. After the first 12 week course 8 out of 10 toenails no longer had Onychomycosis. I made a ~6 month break to be certain that I would need a second round of treatment. I am now on the 8 week of the second round of treatment. I am combining it with Biotin, which accelerates nail (and hair) growth, so I can detect sooner if terbinafine has any effects on the remaining 2 Onychomycosis affected toenails. Seems to be working, new part of the toenails is clear from Onychomycosis. Regarding side effects. As some other reviewers mentioned I do get symptoms of increased levels anxiety and depression. Those are hard to tell as I am a cynic, but one thing for sure for 1 to 3 hours after taking terbinafine I get foggy mind and fatigue. I take the drug and biotin with a meal after a working day. ”

Bill · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2019

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “Went thru the treatment of Lamisil for several months and all the blood test. Was told I was one of the few it did not work for. Complete waste of time.”

Martha May 31, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I’m on week 5. But have taken this last year and gave up. I’ve learned to take this at night so you can fall asleep and if your stomach hurts you don’t notice lol. Take A PROBIOTIC in the am. This advice will help soooo much with your tummy. I also take milk thistle for liver support. Don’t drink alcohol! It makes your stomach hurt coffee makes you have anxiety (it increases the levels of caffeine in your body!!). I can tell a huge different but this is where I gave up after the 6 weeks last year. Take the full 3 months. I’m going to throw out all old shoes and all my socks near the end. Be patient. It’s taken me over a year to finally see results from my first dose. Also after shower blow dry your toes.. sounds silly but this helps also. Wash ur shoes with bleach. One thing I dealt with was anxiety attacks. If you can push through the rough stages of this medication (if you have any) it’ll be okay and worth it in the end! Don’t stress it’s what I did. Liver is fine then your fine.”

Jenn · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I was prescribed this medication for fungal treatment on my toe . I have never had an issue with acne. Just would get some pimples here or there sometimes. Once I started taking terbinafine my face began to break out horribly ! I stoped taking the medication after two weeks and I am still having an issue getting my skin to clear . Would highly recommend not taking this at all !”

Any · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2019

For Tinea Cruris: “I had terrible terrible terrible rash and itch, it had spread in large area. I had used itch guard coconut oil, Vit E oil but nothing worked. Then I bought one tube of terbinafine cream and it has worked wonders on the jock itch I almost suffered for 1 month with this rash and I got rid of all those in just 3 days, will keep on using if for a while though. It did nothing to the scars but my itching completely vanished and it made my skin smooth within 1week.. it is amazing”

Trinity · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I've suffered with toenail fungus for years. I tried every topical there was because I was afraid of the oral meds. I heard they are toxic for your liver. About 3 years ago I notice some fungus on my fingernail right at the tip at that has spread to where it is ugly and noticeable. That was it. I went on Terbinafine for the 12 week treatment. I didn't really have any side effects except feeling a little tired, what a disappointment for actual effects - nothing. Not even any improvement at all. I feel like I poisoned my body for nothing. Doc says I can try the 12 week round again since my liver enzymes were good. Not sure at this point.”

Pizzadoodle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 13, 2019

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: “I was on this for 6 months at which point I had to stop taking it as the side effects were taking a serious toll on my health. My liver went from 100% function to 40% and needless to say I felt like a pile of overcooked spaghetti for months while taking it and for about 3 months afterward. My toenail fungus started to clear up after 6 months, but unfortunately after discontinuing use, it came back in full force. I am now looking for a better alternative.”

C May 8, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “My podiatrist put me on this medicine for toenail fungus. I took it for almost 3 weeks with no issues. Towards the end of the third week I started losing my voice, coughing, shortness of breath so I stopped taking it. My feet had also become sore so that I went to an urgent care 2 days later because my feet swelled up and became discolored. They called it cellulitis and an allergic reaction to terbinafine. The podiatrist said because I took it for 3 weeks, it will take 8 weeks to be completely out of my system. I’ve been to the emergency room 3 times due this reaction. Doctors put me on steroids and swelling went down then after I finished them the swelling came back along with stiff joints, chills, fever, retaining fluid and stomach swells up like 8 months pregnant. I'm now on steroids a 2nd time and dread what comes next after I finish them because I have 3 weeks left of the 8. This has been a nightmare. It’s so bad I had to take a leave of absence from work a month ago. Would not recommend this to anyone.”

Tay May 5, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “3rd time on this only cause I was an idiot and would space taking it because it was summer and wanted to drink. My toe nails were pretty bad and crumbling. It’s been a year and even tho I took the meds not regularly I still notice a huge difference and gave my body a break and now I’m ready to take it everyday and get rid of it. I read bad reviews and got it in my head I was basically going to die if I took this lol.. silly. Don’t listen. I believe my body is used to it now so I only get stomach aches. Sometimes mood swings or headaches but come on. If you struggle with toe fungus and are insecure just take the meds.. put up with a little side effects and finish it. only advice I will give that I learned taking this is have a meal in the am and 3 cups of water and then take the medication so you don’t have to worry about it for the rest of the day. Drink a lot of water helps the body digest and makes your stomach hurt less.”

thankyouworld May 2, 2019

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: “There's a 1000 char limit so I summarize. I'm real! My toes are 100% cured, normal looking. Took 10 months to grow out. I am beyond grateful. Treatment: Terbinafine HCL 250MG tablets, every night with dinner for 3 months, then 1 pill/wk until all grown out (my idea, not sure it helped) Temporary side effects: None, or possibly more body odor and burping. About me: Female, now age 38, had fungal toes for 12 years. For 6 years one toenail was unattached from nailbed. Awful! Health conscious, no alcohol, no caffeine, no other drugs, no smoking. <-- maybe why no bad side effects Searched onychomycosis on Google Scholar and learned: this started as a closed shoe problem. 100 yrs ago army men wearing boots traveled abroad to hot regions when the fungus is from. Brought it back. Hiding the problem: When occasionally going on a date I glued on fake toenails (very real looking result) painted opaque color. Remove them carefully.”