User Reviews for Restoril

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Restoril.

Restoril Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 106 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Restoril to treat Insomnia

"I have in the last taken, Sonata, Lunesta, now Restoril. Restoril is the least effective of the drug I have taken. I take it when I get in bed and I never fall asleep. It is as if I have not taken anything. Doubling the dose makes no difference. With Sonata I would take 2 and fall asleep for at most 3 hours. Lunesta works great at its highest dose but I tend to sleep too long on it (more than 8 hours at times). Restoril just does not work for me at all. As with anything, these drugs react differently with different people. I have not tried Ambien."

FG411 January 16, 2018

"First I tried Ambien, loved it! But after a week or so I started having a reaction of itching so they stopped it. Then on to Lunesta it gave me a headache every morning but it did make me sleep. They stopped it. Then on to Temazapam 30 mg. It works within 1-2 hours. I sleep good for 6-8 hrs. Usually, sometimes I still will have trouble falling asleep or waking in the night but it's not every night so it's an improvement!"

Sleepless in Arkansas (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2017

"I took this medicine for the first time last night I had been using Seroquel but I had so many side effects that I had to stop using it. Although it was the first night I used it I could only sleep for two hours at a time after waking up several times I am finally wide-awake at 3:20 in the morning I ended up taking klonapin because I have a very busy day at work and I need my sleep I was on 15 mg of restoril. I will call my doctor this morning and see if she determines I need a higher dose"

Risam (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2017

"Started taking Temazepam when my parents were sick. I have had chronic insomnia for 20 years before resorting to asking the doctor for some help, as I was taking extremely high doses of Gravol/Dramamine and was lucky to fall asleep at 5 am only to have to get up at 6 am. Started with some blue pill that left a horrible aftertaste, then Ativan but that didn't work. Finally started with Temazepam at night. Take it a couple hours before bed, and then fall asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow. I will never come off this drug, I couldn't possibly return to crippling insomnia."

ducky69 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 18, 2017

"Worked for me and I can NEVER sleep. Only downfall is it takes so long to kick in. Woke up 7 hours later feeling fine."

Sleepless in MI83 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

"As a chronic insomniac I have trouble not only getting to sleep but staying asleep. Temazepam works wonderfully: 7-8 hours of blissful sleep. There are no side-effects that I have noticed."

Irate computer user (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 18, 2016

"Restiril for sleep"

skdmark (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2016

"I typically take 30MG and it gets to work in about 2hrs and once I'm asleep I might wake up but it's easy-to-use go back to sleep. When I take it I feel like a receive a well rested 4 to 6 hrs of sleep. I wake up not at all drowsy. But refreshed and ready to take on the world."

ggorgeousgabb November 14, 2016

"30 milligrams worked like a charm for three months in addition to medicine I take for depression bipolar and anxiety all mixed together I slept however I needed to up my dose of 60 milligrams forward to continue to work which it also did like a charm for 3 more months that is 6 months I'm sleeping after 2 years of extreme insomnia which had basically destroyed my life I am up and running however...... I had a doctor's appointment today because I have been getting restless sleep I wanted to go to 30 milligrams Restoril and 10 milligrams of Valium as this has worked in the past however my doctor was not there and I am scared that I may not sleep so well or take extra medicine to sleep that's my experience"

whatsupsky November 2, 2016

"Great medication!"

Amanda L Dupree (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 13, 2016

"This medicine helps me relax won't feel drowsy at all the next day or feel honesty rested the next day"

Rosemary 3000 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 18, 2016

"The people who are rating this medication lower than an 8 aren't taking it properly. This is an amazing medication when taken properly. You really have to take this medication AT YOUR BEDTIME. You cannot take it and then expect to get a good nights sleep while watching tv, going through Facebook on your phone for 2 hours or any other activity like that, you need to take it literally right before you plan to go to bed. Temazepam 22.5mg has worked wonders for my insomnia it has helped me to regain a good nights sleep which I was no longer experiencing anymore."

Jeff5987 August 12, 2016

"I was given a prescription of 30mg Restoril by my GP doctor to help combat recurring bouts of insomnia. While it did nothing to help me fall asleep, it did help me in a couple of other ways. I frequently suffer from tension headaches and noticed after 15 minutes of my first dose the headache was completely eradicated which lead me to believe that it does well as a muscle relaxer . Another property of the drug which I found helpful was a significant decrease in anxiety and made me more comfortable in social situations . I never felt "high" just an increased desire to interact with my fellow peers. So while I can't give it a glowing review for the reason it was prescribed, other effects outweighed the uselessness of the intended treatment."

Jaime Hart (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2016

"Takes at least 1/2 hour to begin having any effect. Effect lasts only about 2 hours."

John28 April 26, 2016

"my bp goes up when i lay down giving me insomiia. This med helps me go to sleep but not stay asleep and I sometimes have vivid dreams on this med but I still think its worth a try.Iit does provide a relaxing feeling"

jason elliott41 April 16, 2016

"This works wonders for my insomia! Initially, Ambien was prescribed to me but it gave me the worst headache. With Restoril, I get at least 6 hours of sleep."

Ceeeeebeeeee March 29, 2016

"Tried ambien, Ativan ...then dr prescribed restoril. Scared at first to take it. On it over a year now, works just fine. Helps me sleep through hot flashes, Graves Disease symptoms, husbands snoring even. I take with 5 mg melatonin on EMPTY stomach, at least 2 hours after any food or it doesn't work. It's been such a relief for me to get my sleep."

Gravester February 4, 2016

"I have been on temazepam for years due to chronic insomnia and it does not give me a good night's sleep. I've tried Ambien, Benadryl, and melatonin, which don't work at all. I am getting frustrated with the temazepam because I don't sleep a full night and wake up after sleeping 2 hours, then doze off for another 1 1/2 or 2 hours at a time before I finally just get up. The doctor upped my temazepam dose to 30 mg a night, but it did nothing different, so I am just taking 15 mg. She is not very interested in looking at other options, but I am going to discuss these other medications with her. I am SO tired! I also am going to take a "sleep" class, which should be interesting."

Mimi23kids January 27, 2016

"I feel like I've been on very sleeping aid option to treat insomnia. With no success of anything I've tried my doctor prescribed Restoril. FINALLY something worked! I get a full 8 hours of sleep. My doctor also prescribed me Paxil on top of my regular Abilify for depression and anxiety, because I started to have anxiety before going to bed out of fear of not being able to sleep. So the drug combo has worked a miracle for me. I build up tolerances to medication very quickly, so now we'll see how long I last on Restoril. But I'm praying that it continues to work for me. I highly recommend Restoril."

JayDale1611 (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2015

"only gives me 4-6 hrs. of sleep per night. Was hoping for 7-8. Take 15 mg. with 10 mg. Melatonin and .25 mg. Xanax at bedtime"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2015

"Temazapam is the only med that treats my insomnia. I have tried every non benzo on the market, and have been in numerous sleep studies. I sometimes go 3-4 days with the average sleep of those days being 1-2 hours total. I was prescribed 40mg temazapam and can get a solid 8 hours of sleep. I cycle it seven days at a time to reset my sleep cycles as needed."

I hate math July 15, 2015

"The 15 mg did nothing for me. Doc increased it to 30. I take on an empty stomach because that's the only way it hits me. Yes there are vivid dreams but after 43 years of never feeling I got to the dream stage I love the dreams! I've been on ambien. Another good one but only lasts a couple hours. This should keep you sleeping all night. I do notice a little irrability first thing in a.am but within an hour I'm fine. I've also been on sonata, Lunesta and belsomra that did nothing for me. This drug won't knock you out. You just feel that heavy eyes feeling. High recommend!"

Best insomnia aid I've found s (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

"My greatest mistake with Restoril 30mg was taking the medication prior to my sleep cycle. Because I was so deprived of sleep, I took the medication at 9pm which is approximately 2 hours before my bedtime. "At bedtime" refers to an individual's bedtime; therefore, I was awake all night! This medication must be taken specifically and shortly before an individual's bedtime. Silly me. My physician explained why I did not sleep that evening and gave me at full description of sleep cycle which changed a sleepless night into a somewhat sleep full night; about 4-5 hours."

Giovannina (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2015

"Due to major anxiety and stress can't sleep before 6-7:30am was put on anti-anxiety pill and Restoril today. The anti-anxiety pill kicked in fast and made me kinda drowsy but the Restoril 30mg I just took 45 min ago doesn't seem to be kicking in. Should I take another? I do drink ale here and there but that should increase my effect not stop it right? Maybe I should get used to Vampire hours!! This sucks lol"

Feel like a vampire! (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

"Tried ambien but it lost it effect around 10 months. Lunesta tasted like I sucked on a roll of pennies all night. Trazodone just wasn't really effective. I take 30mg of restoril about 20 mins before I need to be in bed. Otherwise I've awaken in different parts of house. I also take a .75mg give or take .25mg of Xanax as a kicker. I would have problems staying asleep. Sometimes no more sleep that night sometimes the crappy toss n turn sleep till you get mad n get up. Then drag ass all day. Occasionally I still get one of those nights but they are once in a long while. It works for me and I recommend (but does not for a friend) If you've tried the others give it a try it's cheap nothing to loose."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2015