User Reviews for Suvorexant

Also known as: Belsomra

Learn more about Suvorexant.

Insomnia 262 reviews 106 medications

3.7
Summary of Suvorexant reviews 262 reviews 3.7

Reviews for Suvorexant

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "Dr tried to get me to switch to this from Ambien. I finally gave in and was given six 15mg samples. I am on the 5th night, and have fallen asleep 1 time before 2am. Tonight I took it at 9:30 along with my melatonin ultra and benadryl. It is now almost 12:30 and I'm wide awake. I'll probably get some sleep around 4a.m. like I generally do, but I will wake up feeling awful. This drug gives me the worst feeling in the morning, like I'm sleepwalking with a migraine. I'm going back on the Ambien."

awakeat1229 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I'm a night shift worker and often have a hard time falling asleep after my shift or on my days off when I tend to sleep a more normal schedule. I have been taking 0.5 mg of Xanax as needed for sleep for about 3 years with no side effects. Recently I had to change doctors and my new one will not give me Xanax for fear of dependency. He prescribed Belsomra 10mg. With Belsomra I did not fall asleep. It was as if I took nothing at all. Even when I took 20mg I was awake for hours. With insurance this med cost $40. An absolute waste of money."

Krischris1 (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "amazing 10/10 this improved my sleep maintenance waking up more refreshed each morning. No physical dependence like the other sleep drugs. This drug is ideally used for some one that is treatment naive, so me using a insomnia product for the first time worked exactly the way indicated."

Richardsss August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "The WORST night of my life. I can only imagine that this would be what someone would experience if they took hallucinogenic drugs. HORRIBLE nightmares, a sensation that my chest and arms were being restricted, burning. Woke after every VIOLENT nightmare, trying to forget what I'd just dreamt. Headache this morning and TOTAL recall of a night filled with terrible dreams. I am throwing this away!!!!!"

R...never Again* August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "My doctor pushed this medication hard. it does not work. at all. Its very expensive."

hendrix887 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "Doesn't work. Doctor pushed it quite hard, but it really doesn't do anything substantial. Very expensive and useless."

Blobby1243 August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "Having tinnitus my sleep is impossible without meds. I have tried most and Doc put me onto Belsomra. Out of 5 weeks its only worked a couple of nights. Its very expensive it and just does not work. It doesn't put me to sleep so I have to take something else with it and wake up every hour. I really think they need to go back to the drawing board with this one and put something in it for sleep."

Anonymous July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I was taking Belsomra (20 mg) for almost a year, and initially it worked great. I was falling asleep in a natural way without feeling I had taken a sleeping pill. After three or four months things started to change. I started feeling a bit depressed with some anxiety. What was really strange is that I would get lots of work related anxiety -- things started bugging me at work that normally would not. It's like small things at work bugged me far more than usual. I could not understand what changed. In addition, I was accumulating some depression and everything took more energy to do. Finally, I started suspecting Belsomra was the cause, so as soon as I stopped, all these symptoms simply evaporated! OMG, I finally can feel the sunshine!"

Nick75 July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I started Belsomra 15mg about 3 wks ago. It has not worked for me at all. After taking the medication earlier (7:45-8:00 pm) and spending several sleepless nights my Dr increased my dosage to 1 & 1/2 tablets. The last few nights I have been up past 4am. Even when I finally dose off I wake up at least once an hour. I will call my Dr in the morning, I'll be awake. Exhausted! But awake!"

KTJ1986 (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "Doctor insisted instead of ambien. Did not even make me drowsy after a week of taking each night, but did give a great headache."

Jon burrows (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I just had my doctor give me samples of Belsomra. He recommended I take 10mg, but basically told me it wouldn't work unless I took 20. But after reading all the paperwork that came with the samples I decided to just take the 10mg. I took it without food, 30 min before bed as recommended and still 2 hours later I wasn't tired. Today I woke up after having really weird dreams, and all day I've been unusually depressed and anxious. I never, ever had these symptoms or this much trouble falling asleep on Zolpidem. It was pretty clear from how hard my doctor was pushing them that the pharma reps are really trying to get this on the market. I would strongly recommend AGAINST taking this medication, especially if you have depression!"

econstance June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "STAY AWAY,Worst drug EVER!!!!!!!!!"

belsomraproblemsaol.com (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I have lived with severe insomnia for 34 years due to a circadian rhythm disorder. When I say that I have tried all sleep medications, you can believe me. My doctor gave my a voucher for a free trial of Belsomra. I was skeptical, then saw a review someone had written who had a very similar sleep disorder. He said to reach more areas in the brain that control the sleep-awake switches, to try it with 1 milligram of melatonin, 50 milligrams of diphenhydramine, and a 1/4 milligram of a benzo. I haven't slept like I did last night since I was a child. I gave it 7/10 because I don't know yet if it was a fluke, but I am hopeful that it will continue to work."

Cautiously optimistic June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I took 15 mg dose for about a year almost nightly. At best it only had a mild effect at helping me fall asleep and did not allow me to sleep longer than my usual four to five hours. Two unfortunate side effects occurred. Occasionally I would get sleep paralysis which is being fully aware mentally while your body is frozen in a sleep State. This lasts for a few minutes. The other unfortunate side effect is intense grogginess for most of the next day. I found that I spent much of the time during that year sitting in a chair during the day because I did not have the mental or physical energy to get up and do anything. Obviously one gets a tolerance for the drug soon and I would say that after about a month there was virtually no benefit"

Bobbbb (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "On midnight shift at work, having a hard time sleeping. Doctor gave me Belsomra and its great - no side effects whatsoever. Be advised I only take 1 or 2 a week, 20mg dose. But I have no side effects and I sleep 8 to 9 hrs a night."

Bb6th (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I will never take this medicine again. I was given some 15 mg samples to try. Was on Lunesta, but it wasn't working. Belsomra did indeed help me sleep, but the am grogginess was terrible. I slept at least 8 hours the night before, but couldn't concentrate. I was in a fog all day. I fell asleep at the wheel twice and ran right through a red light at a busy intersection. It took all day for this medicine to wear off. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone."

Not a fan (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I never take any meds and don't have any conditions. I was faced with a 13 hour flight overnight to Korea. I have always had a hard time sleeping on planes, so I tried a 20mg dose. Holy crap it was bad! Within 30 minutes I had the worst case of hot sweats, upset stomach, and feeling very anxious! Got sick in the restroom and 1\2 an hour later was back to normal. Flushed my samples and just turfed it out."

Krob May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "Took a 10mg last night and did fall fast asleep but had the worst nightmares ever. Woke up at 3am and did go back to sleep, however, nightmares continued. I was pretty groggy this morning but it passed. Don't know if I want to take another for fear of bad dreams!"

ErnieBlob May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I can see why this medication isn't for everyone. I have racing thoughts when I attempt to sleep. I take a 20mg Belsomra, make room dark and set myself up for sleep. My mind must calm because I wake up 5-9 hours later. This doesn't make you drowsy or euphoric. It helps me fall asleep like a normal person. Never will go back to benzos (for sleep) zopiclone, ezoplicone etc."

Boznjerz May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "Actually came out of hospital, because I have been suffering from long term insomnia and was prescribed Belsomra 15mg as a 'last resort' option. In my experiences I have already tried Temazepam, Valpam, Valium, Imovane, Seroquel (quetiapine) etc. All those drugs eventually just building up my tolerance each time and I become dependent on them to sleep. I however did try the antidepressant Valdoxan 25mg (Agomelatine). THIS REALLY HELPED ME FOR MONTH. My body really built up tolerance to it and eventually I needed 50mg and then it just stopped working for me after 5 months, but I can assure you it reallllllly helped my insomnia for that short 5 months. *Will CONTINUE IN ANOTHER POST*"

Tamina (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I was hoping this would be a better long term sleep therapy than Ambien (Belsomra studies reported that was the case), so I gave it a try. I took 15mg at the same time I would have taken my Ambien. It certainly didn't work as well as Ambien when it came to falling asleep... it took 30-40 minutes before becoming sleepy enough to fall asleep. Though I slept pretty well for about 8 hrs, and would have otherwise rated this medication an overall "5", I awoke with the worst anxiety that I have ever experienced. I felt like climbing the walls! It was so physically uncomfortable that I had to just get up and bag the idea of sleeping in on a Saturday morning. Three hrs after waking, the anxiety subsided enough that I was able to sit and relax."

Sleepynoggin (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I have been on zolpidem for several years and only take about 2.5 mg of my 10 mg tablet. I tried Belsomra 10 mg (samples) Thursady night at 9 pm and I did not feel sleepy. The second night I took a 10 mg table at around 9 PM I still do not feel sleepy so around 11 PM I took another 10 mg tablet and within 30 minutes I felt weird and I knew I was going to have a rough night ahead of me and I was not going to get a good quality night sleep, which I did not!!!! The next morning which was Saturday (THANK GOD I didn't take 20mg during the weekday) I felt horrible all day long and napped throughout the day up until 5 PM where I force myself to get up eat something drink a Mountain Dew just to feel alive again!!! This medication is horrible"

Tina001 May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I am rating this as 'not effective' advertising. There is nothing that makes me want to avoid a product more than having their ad pop up over an article I'm trying to read, waiting for it to load, then having to close out of it without accidentally clicking on the add. I've seen this ad four times now. If I am ever on the market for a sleeping aid, I would dose myself with something else before buying this."

LW annoyed May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I suffer from insomnia for nearly 8 months now and have tried melatonin, OTC sleep aids, ambien, trazadone, etc nothing worked. Asked my doctor if I could try belsomra and was given a sample 10 mg dose for 3 days, it kept me awake all last night and tonight as well. So tired of not being able to sleep!!!"

CynJW (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I had a very negative experience with this drug. I suffer from initial and maintenance insomnia and nothing has worked but this drug did something others didn't - it made the insomnia worst and I couldn't sleep at all. I was in and out of sleep the first couple of hours, I took it at 9pm, and then couldn't go back to sleep after waking up at 1:30am. It got me wired. Also, the little time I did sleep I had VERY weird dreams and it made my feet (mostly toes) hurt a lot. Very bizarre experience and a huge set back for me :( I took 15mg dose, sample from doctor."

Ez1981 May 3, 2017