User Reviews for Suvorexant

Also known as: Belsomra

Learn more about Suvorexant.

Insomnia 199 reviews 109 medications

3.8
Summary of Suvorexant reviews 199 reviews 3.8

Reviews for Suvorexant

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "Worked very well. Did have next day drowsiness, but only the first day. Am only taking 10mg. I had none of these bizarre side effects I've read about. The important thing for me is that this is NOT a benzodiazepine. More researching is showing that benzodiazepines and other GABA activators may be causing permanent memory loss, that includes Zolpidem. I've been able to come off my Gabapentin and Lorazepam at night."

pjs009 (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I took one 20mg pill. It works, I slept better than I had in years, sleep quality better than anything I had ever taken before. The problem was the next day. I was so sedated that I literally couldn't think or remember words. I felt nauseous all day and that night I almost fainted after eating dinner. I didn't take the pill the next night and couldn't sleep at all. I had to take a double dose of benzos, melatonin and an Aleve because I was so achy. The next evening I went out with friends and had a few drinks. I was acting aggressively, obnoxious and completely out of character. I hope they come up with a better version of this drug. I'm sad I can't take it due to side effects."

Snoopy1010 November 13, 2016

For Insomnia: "My trial was not great on the 10 mg, but there was an offer for a $40.00 cash card Visa! We are working on week 3 of 20 mg and it's nice to get that marshmallowy yawning tired feeling I haven't felt in decades. Problem is breakthrough waking up that is about 50/50 on being able to get right back to sleep or stuck in the old manor of stuck awake for any amount of time. Still hopeful!"

Shananigans39 (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "This drug is scary!!! The 20mg dose puts me on the threshold of sleep, without allowing me to actually fall asleep. I accidentally thought the maximum dose was 40mg so I took two 20mg pills. It really did make me fall asleep, but you can forget about trying to function at all the following day. I am quite desperate for sleep, so now I take 35mg when I have absolutely nothing going on the next day. I am retired and can stay at home without having to drive anywhere. The half-life of this drug is 12 hours!!! That means if you take a 20mg pill, your still going to have 10mg in your system 12 hours later. I can see why people fall asleep driving to work. Ambien on the other hand has a half-life of only of about 2.5 hours. DANGEROUS drug!!!"

Sleepless One November 8, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "10 out of 10. I've suffered from insomnia my entire life and finally found something that works, highly recommend. As my doctor told me, it takes your body a couple weeks to adjust to this medicine, but when it does it works very well."

Mandy412 November 7, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I've suffered from insomnia for years, and have tried everything. I take melatonin, neurontin for RLS, klonopin. Now I've added Belsomra. It's not magical, but it's better than the hypnotics: Ambien, for example, had me awake and doing everything under the sun BUT sleep: rearranging cabinets, cooking food, eating food, emailing things I didn't remember, etc. What I like about Belsomra is that it does seem to KEEP me asleep; I don't wake up during the night once I am asleep. It's definitely not worth the high cost--but I think the ridiculously high cost is because of the ridiculous way that it's packaged!!!!!"

lizbethsu November 3, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I've been struggling with insomnia because of shift work disorder. I started working graveyards in August of 2016. Today is October 31st 2016. I took the 10mg first to try it out. It worked ok but I still woke up here and there. But I liked it. Last night I tried the 15mg dose and oh my God did I ever have the worst nightmares of my life. They were so vivid and real. They scared me awake several times and the dreams did not end in my waking state. I seemed to shift back to sleep without even knowing it or I was still awake. I can't tell but the nightmare kick right off where I left them. I guess I slept but honestly I'm terrified to take them again. I'm literally shaking after this experience."

AdamHarris October 31, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I've suffered with severe insomnia for 25 years. I started looking into this with 2 very specific sleep studies A year later I found myself on a sleep med rollercoaster. Of course I've tried everything otc, lunesta, ambien. I take no other prescription drugs and have enjoyed great health with the exception of serious insomnia. 2 years later I hear of Belsomra and ask my dr for the 10 day sample. First 2 nights were a bit touch and go. By night 3, was up 3.5 hours of decent sleep. I've now been taking Belsomra at 20 mg for an entire month. This medicine saved my life! I forgot I could feel this good since I've been battling this for so long. I've never written a report on anything in my life but I just had to share my story. IT WORKS"

1CanadianSleep October 30, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I have a different experience than these reviews I am reading here. I do not think this is the best drug ever and really have a hard time believing the 9 and 10 ratings. But also this drug is not a total dud and does not deserve so many low scores. To me this is the second best drug I have tried for insomnia. After many years of struggling including lost work days, Ambien was a miracle to me and since going on it 8 years ago. I only needed about 5mg each night to be out and have 0 side effects from the stuff. But I want a safer alternative at least for some of the time. Belsomra seems to be fitting that need. While it is not even close to being as effective or side effect free as Ambien, it is much better than Sonata or Rozerem. I do need a higher 20mg dose for the stuff. It usually kicks in after about 45 minutes and consistently puts me to sleep at that dosage. I have been learning to manage a slight headache / dehydration effect from it by keeping a water bottle by my bed. I am slightly drowsy for a couple hours in the AM (although it wears off completely and am fine by about 9am)."

cwbern (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I have had chronic insomnia since about age 16, so approximately 15 years now. I've run the gamete from herbal supplements, OTC, antidepressants, anticonvulsants, hypnotics, sedatives, etc. Literally, there hasn't been one I've yet to try. Tried it at 5mg to ensure no next day drowsiness. Absolutely 0 sleep...in fact, felt wired. Tried again at 10mg, same experience. Tried at 15mg, couldn't fall asleep for 8 hours, but then did for about 2 and it was time to get up for work which was like zombie mode. I'm kind of glad this one didn't work out for me, as WITH insurance, it would've cost me over $300, and the savings card with it only dropped it down to $90/month! If you are going to try it, print out the free 10 day trial!"

JeccaLeigh October 18, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "Ive bern on this drug for a month and still haven't slept. Worthless excude for a sleep medication. Why is this a Schedule IV controlled substance?"

Sleepygirl52 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "Spent a lot of money on this drug hoping it would work. Awful drug and should not be on the market because it does't do anything in my experience. Had much better luck with a sedating antidepressant."

Johnnie3 (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "Very effective for my 20 year insomnia problem. No side effects other than a slow start in the morning. I'm functioning normal during the day for the first time in years. I had terrible side effects from all other sleep meds. Expensive but worth it. Using a low dose. Nightly lights out routine works well."

Ocean007 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 23, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I developed insomnia when pregnant, nearly 16 years ago! Doctors have tried everything.Medidation. Melatonin, improving sleep hygeine, restoril, trazadone, seroquel, ambien, lunesta, and belsomra. Even when double the doses of these medicines, nothing helps EXCEPT belsomra. Granted, I have to take the max dose. But I have a 1 hour commute one way to work each day. I've never felt drowsy, just well rested."

lotusblossoms78 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "Still not sure is this is "The One" but it sure beats everything else I've tried out when it comes to helping me stay asleep. I used to wake up multiple times a night, or I would wake and not go back to sleep. Now I wake up just once or twice and more often than not, I do eventually go back to sleep. So I'll give it another few weeks and see if I can't sleep through the whole night. Hopefully my sleep will continue to improve. 15 mg seems to be best for me. Download the coupon from the website and pay $1/pill."

Anonymous August 8, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I might as well take niquil or Benadry! It doesn't work AT ALL!! Garbage!!!"

mylenep August 1, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I have had trouble falling asleep for years. Prosom works well for me. My doctor wanted me to start alternating so I do not build up a tolerance so last night I tried 15mg of belsomra . In my opinion it is NOT for the people who cannot FALL asleep. I felt very tired(a natural tired, yawning like crazy) my body wanted to fall asleep but as usual my brain was not having it. After 1 1/2 hours of laying trying to fall asleep, I took the one last xanex I had and fell asleep 20 minutes later. I did however sleep soundly and wanted to sleep longer when I woke to my alarm. I had no side effects but I do feel tired starting my work day but the tiredness is wearing off. This may be worth a try for people who cant stay asleep."

Dawnmarialisa July 28, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I am wide awake all night. Then I woke up at 8:00am to put the dog out, are breakfast and went back to bed til noon. I've only had it 4 times and am calling my doctor in the morning. I am taking 20 mg. the highest recommended dosage."

Fragile delicate flower July 26, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "First off this medicine is waaaaay over priced. My doctor didn't have any samples but I went online and they offer a free ten day trial. I highly suggest you try it before you commit. It did not make me fall asleep or remain asleep. I would place this right up there with a heavy dose of Tylenol pm's."

Stephanke (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I started taking Belsomra after my Ambien became not as effective. It was expensive, but I hoped it would change my life. I've had insomnia for almost 20 years. It seemed to work ok at first, but the longer you take it, the worse it gets. Sleep paralysis is just the beginning. Night terrors, violent dreams and very thin sleep followed. By the time I decided to go back to Ambien, I hadn't had a real sleep in months. Don't bother trying."

Bluerio July 9, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I have been taking this for about a month. I don't know why. It is not only ineffective, but it also comes with some sneaky side effects, such as loss of appetite, increased depression, and back pain. Doesn't even work that well for sleep anyway. Forget about it!"

Johnnie3 (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "I've tried lunesta, ambien, and trazodone for insomnia. None of these worked very well for me. Thank god I found Belsoma. I received a trial pack and experimented with different doses. The 5 mg and 10 mg seemed worthless and had no noticeable effect. I decided to go with the 20 mg and wow, what a difference! It usually takes me over 1 hour to fall asleep, but with the 20 mg belsoma, I've been consistently falling asleep within 20 minutes!! I understand this medicine has not performed well for a majority of other people, however, my body chemistry has responded very positively to it. So my opinion is if other insomnia medications have not worked for you, give this one a try and make sure you go with the 20 mg."

Strutzy (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "This med is not worth 2 cents!! Took 15mg 1st night...tossed and turned...took it at 10:30 and I was still wide awake..I was on serquil but it caused weight gain..I'm asking my psychiatric dr for ambien, or some thing..I'm gonna try 30mg..see how that works. ..I don't like it"

Sgrho (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "Did not help me go to sleep but relaxed me. But I got a headache that seemed to increase during my 10 day trial. I do not like it and will not get any more"

Llalu June 18, 2016

Belsomra (suvorexant) for Insomnia: "This was a nightmarish experience for me. I ran out of my regular Temazepam and forgot to pick it up at the pharmacy, so I popped a 20mg Belsomra that my MD gave me a free sample of. About an hour into the drug, I started feeling very dizzy and my head felt so heavy, and I immediately felt this strong urge to knock out and fall into a deep slumber, so I went to my bed and started falling asleep. However, I started experiencing major sleep paralysis - it felt like it lasted for a long time, and my body just couldn't move even though my mind was fully aware and conscious of what was happening. Later on during the night, I kept falling asleep and waking up sporadically. By this morning, I was beat and vowed never to take this again."

Ele321 June 10, 2016