User Reviews for Crestor

Learn more about Crestor.

Crestor Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 298 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Crestor to treat High Cholesterol

"I took crestor for about two years with minor side effects. Since I turned 65, I noticed my leg muscles ( hamstrings, Knees) were hurting. I stopped taking Crestor and my legs feel better. The drug did help lower my cholesterol but my legs were killing me and I had trouble walking due the stiffness and pain. While I am not 100% certain my leg pain was due to Crestor, it certainly looks that way.It has only been 6 days since I stopped."

Anonymous July 16, 2016

"Was on Simvastin (40 mg) and within two days had severe shooting pains in knees. Starting cutting in half and pain dissipated. Told doctor I was cutting in half and reason and instead of lowering dosage, they switched me to crestor (40 mg). After about 10 doses, finger joints began to swell and pain with hip joint pain. Stopped taking. It's been 5 weeks and fingers still are painful and stiff making everyday tasks hard. Am back to cutting dosages in half. Will post if that makes a difference and my blood fat improves."

Mehki227 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

"My LDL is high HDL is low and triglycerides are high. Dr. Recommend me for Crestor 5 mg. initially I couldn't recognise the leg pain and numbness. I couldn't sleep for several night while on this medicine for few days. I stopped taking Crestor after reading its reviews and that stopped my leg pain. I am 35 years old and decided to go with fish oil, healthy diet and exercise."

Maddy007 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

"At age 65 my cholesterol reading creeped past borderline to high. I was put on 5mg of Crestor. After only one month, my LDL went from 167 to 79. At first I took at bedtime but noticed some minor leg pain. I switched to taking with evening meal and pain stopped."

Sandra RM May 25, 2016

"Very good"

Scott12345 May 23, 2016

"Within 3 days of taking Crestor 10 mg I got terrible leg cramps, headaches , nausea and weakness. On top of that I had awful dreams that were scary. Within one week I gained 8 pounds. I felt sick. Got off of it and just did exercise and watched my diet closely. Lost 16 pounds in a month and 3 months later my cholesterol went down from 350 to 169. I feel so much better and all the bad symptoms went away. Creator is not for everyone."

Granma66 April 6, 2016

"I'm 45 years old and have always felt like I was in good health. Non-smoker and have never had a weight problem. However, blood tests from the last few years have revealed that I have a problem with high cholesterol and triglycerides. Eight weeks ago, when my triglyceride number was a shocking 583 and LDL over 200, my doctor insisted that I needed some help to bring these numbers into a healthy range. Reluctantly, I agreed. I was prescribed 20mg of Crestor daily at bedtime. It scared me to death to read reviews on Crestor and statin drugs in general and I almost didn't even give it a chance but also committed to making some changes in lifestyle. For example, I started skipping most of the sweet, fatty foods and actually paying attention to serving sizes and TRYING to stick closer to recommended allowances. I have also been going on brisk, half-hour walks at least 5 days a week. Nothing tremendously difficult but something that has required consistency. After eight weeks of using Crestor and living a little differently, I am happy to report that my Triglycerides are now down to a mere 67 and my LDL level is down to 57. I’ve also lost 15lbs and I wasn’t overweight to begin with. I expected the numbers to show improvement but I was shocked to see them this good! What's more is that I have not noticed any of the negative side effects mentioned by so many. Trust me, I was looking out for those for any excuse to stop taking it. I will mention a positive side effect I was not expecting. I've been burdened with IBS (irritable Bowel Syndrome) for many years. I've just lived with it and been careful about how long I might be away from a bathroom. Interestingly enough, since I have been on Crestor, I have been much more regular and, well, solid. Maybe that is TMI but I have appreciated the change. People seem to be more motivated to write a review about anything if they are displeased. I'm taking a different approach, my experience with Crestor, so far, has been very good and I am very excited about the results."

Pikester April 5, 2016

"I had triglycerides of 400 . Was put on crestor 5mg. After a month they were down to 280. By 5 weeks my legs and arms would wake me up at night with horrible aches. My feet got so bad I would get out of bed and have to hold on because the muscles were numb. Went back to the dr. take it 3x a week now. No side affects. With coupon online I pay 1.00 for 30 day supply. Shop around. Go back in 2 weeks will see if 3 times a week helps lower the t. at all."

not a robot March 22, 2016

"I am a physician and I started Crestor 5 mg since 1 year and after 6 months my cardiologist increase the dose to 10 mg once daily Liver enzymes were ok However, I have suffered of severe pain at my upper back muscles and this pain was persistent and not relived by rest I got the feeling that with any minor exercise all my muscles start to be so painful and aching. I have red all your reviews below and I decided to lower the dose and take Crestor every other day and I will see If the pain will disappear or not and I will discuss that as well with my cardiologist."

MohamedElshaar March 3, 2016

"Jonboy, in response to your concern over the cost of Crestor, I have been paying $50 for a 3 month supply of this medication, with my health insurance. However, the last time that I was at the pharmacy a man on line informed me that his wife pays $3 for the 3 month supply. And, no I'm not kidding. I actually looked up the website on my phone (with a little help from the clerk). Please look at all the Crestor websites and research the coupon. Since the coupon is in the computer, I'm told I will be paying this amount for the next year. Good luck"

KAKeats February 19, 2016

"After having unwanted side affects with two other statins, my PCP suggested trying Crestor. This was about 6 years ago. Since then, as he states it, I could be the poster boy for Crestor. At only a 5mg/day dosage my cholesterol level has dropped from ~290 to consistently below 200 with no side affects. My only concern is there is no generic alternative and it is VERY expensive when the insurance companies declare that it's not in their formulary of preventive medications. I've been lucky that my PCP has been able to convince the ins co that I can't tolerate an alternative, so have not had to pay for the medication for the past several years (treated as preventative). That's changing now that I'm retired and have to go to new insurance"

Jonboy1151 February 6, 2016

"I began on Crestor in 2013. I could not tolerate simvastatin or pravastatin but was told that Crestor was different. After a week on this med I developed severe pain in my legs .I stopped it but the pain did not go away. Three years later I am still in pain, can not climb stairs or get out of a chair. My muscle in my thighs and rear are wasting away.Five Neurologists have failed to help me."

Bedhead February 1, 2016

"Unbearable muscle pain, both wrist, both arms shoulders, right side, numbness in feet. I missed 1 dose and had no pain that's what brought me to this site to read the side effects."

G-Baby December 28, 2015

"Gained 8 pounds in two months, wearing a splint for my left wrist due to extreme tendon/muscle pain, can't lift anything. Also noticed that I can't lift any of the weights that I used to be able to at gym as my upper body isn't as strong as it used to be. Had blood work yesterday so I don't know if it lowered my cholesterol (300 range) but Dr. is taking me off (5mg) it for a month."

LAdder November 12, 2015

"Crestor brought down my cholesterol, however, I've experienced insomnia, leg cramps and, last night, the worst nightmare of my life which woke me at 2:30 a.m. and I never could go back to sleep. I'm not taking any more."

Summertime1935 August 27, 2015

"Been on Crestor for almost a month. 20 mg daily for genetic high cholesterol. Triglycerides started at 1100! I immediately noticed the muscle weakness and belly pains. My hips knees and ankles ache constantly!!!"

Aprilleigh August 25, 2015

"I took Caduet which contains Lipitor for two years and had leg cramps and developed a chronic cough with asthma. I got off the medication and started taking Crestor 5mg and I love it. No cramps no cough and it lowered my cholesterol even at the reduced dosage."

R. Reeves July 20, 2015

"I have genetically high cholesterol, compounded by occasional bad eating habits. At one point, my cholesterol was up to 342. Within 2 months of taking Crestor, 10 mg, my cholesterol level dropped to 154. I stopped taking it and started eating healthier, but my cholesterol went back up to 266 (curse my genetics). So I am back on it, my cholesterol is down to 143. I don't have any leg cramps or other type of problems that I did when I first tried Lipitor."

SeanEdwards January 30, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Side pains weak legs, muscle stiffness and poking pains in stomach."

aggielion June 17, 2014

"LDL was 124. Took 10mg Crestor 3 times a week. Six weeks later my LDL is down to 54. Doc says to go down to 2 pills a week, which will maintain the lower cholesterol number. No muscle cramps or joint pains with taking it a couple times a week instead of every day and its just as effective. Even if I did have cramps or joint pain it would still be worth it to get my cholesterol down, reduce heart disease and prevent dementia."

mandaD23 April 23, 2014

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a Type 1 diabetic and have had high cholesterol since being diagnosed 12 years ago. I am on a restricted diet and I do not eat eggs or meat yet my cholesterol was high (genetic). I hesitated to take any statins because I got a rash from Lipitor but finally agreed to take Crestor because last summer my stress test showed abnormalities (which were later disproven). However, I started on only 5mg, I started walking about 20 -30 minutes a day a few times a week and now 8 months later my total cholesterol was BELOW normal and all other levels were within a good range and my endocrinologist was very pleased and said no reason to go up to 10 mg. I do sometimes get some joint pain in my wrist and ankles and sometimes some muscle."

jodil1968 March 27, 2014

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Crestor 10 mg for 2 years now. I feel better but lately I am having some serious right hip joint pains. I am in good health, never had any sort of joint pain. Now I notice each time I take Crestor I can barely walk due to very intense deep hip joint pains. I have to stop taking this medication."

RJ Tampa (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 17, 2014

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Severe muscle cramps, after almost one year on 10 mg/day Crestor, for familial hypercholesterolemia of 6. Not overweight, exercise and eat well. Stopped Crestor and resolved within 1 week. 2 months later, liver tests normal but cholesterol borderline high restarted with 5 mg every other day along with co enzyme Q 100 mg/day and had taken 2 weeks of Coenzyme Q to build up stores prior to this. Severe cramps resumed within 1 week."

footcramps (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 12, 2013

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have been on Crestor for over 5 years Total cholesterol is 130 from 180. Increased my HDL slightly while lowering my LDL. Also took Niacin for years. Now only take Micardis. Yes, muscle cramps when I walk long distances. I'm 75 and just had a carotid ultrasound and totally clear of buildup. Liver enzymes are OK."

DrRick (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 28, 2013

"I took Crestor 10 mg for more than 10 years. It did an excellent job reducing my LDL. But, through years I developed joint pains, which doctors cold not explain. Once a friend told me my joint pain could be a result of Crestor, so to test it out I stopped taking it and sure enough only in few months no more pain in any of my joints for the past 1 year, since I have stopped taking Crestor."

ankaboot May 10, 2013

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next