User Reviews for Maxalt

Migraine 95 reviews 81 medications

8.8
Summary of Maxalt reviews 95 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Maxalt

For Migraine "I have used maxalt four times in the last three months. The first time it worked fine and it was gone in a few hours but had heart racing. The second migraine I was concerned about the side effects but gave a second chance. I had severe throbbing in my head like it was going to explode and then suddenly the migraine broke. My third attempt my migraine was so severe that I had to take a second dose for relief! I find that if I take it on the onset it works but still light headache and felt numbing sensation. My fourth today no relief after 2nd dose. Took 3rd after 4 hours but still feeling migraine. Had slight heart racing and throbbing pain. I may continue to see if this is right meds. If not, then I think there's no hope for me!"

Rose B September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I was prescribed this medication because I was experiencing severe migraines multiple times a month. After taking the medication, I usually have to take another pill an hour later and my headache symptoms will go away. It makes me very sleepy and gives me slight chest pain that feels like heartburn. If I don't rest right after taking it, the headache still goes away but I get severe nausea, dizziness, and tightness in my chest. The side effects eventually go away, but they are awful while they are occurring. The trade off of headache and side effects doesn't seem really worth it to me, but that's just my opinion."

lyd12jub July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "For me Maxalt is a miracle drug. I have tried almost everything OTC, and nothing worked. Excedrin worked for awhile, then after a few weeks, it stopped working. I can always count on Maxalt to get rid of my migraines. I usually feel relief within an hour of taking it. That being said ,this drug is very expensive. Even with insurance and taking the generic version, I am still out of pocket about $50 a box, and they only give you 12 pills. Sometimes I have 3 or 4 migraines in a week, so this can get really expensive. It works wonders for me though, so unfortunately it's a necessary expense."

Cg74 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "Must take within 20 minutes of onset. The longer you wait, the longer it takes to work. Keep it in your pocket/wallet at all times. For me, it is a lifesaver."

MiamiMan (taken for 10 years or more) May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I am a 35yo female and had my first migraine at 16yo just after giving birth to my firstborn. Over the years, particularly after each baby, the symptoms have become worse and are always experienced during menstruation. Recently codeine products that would normally help are not even touching the sides of the pain, and I have been experiencing increasing levels of sickness that anti-nausea tablets don't have any impact on. But yesterday a friend gave me a maxalt wafer because I couldn't function under the intensity of the sickness and pain. At first it didn't seem to do anything. But after maybe an hour to 90 minutes and I was no longer sick, nor was I in pain!! It was like a miracle!! How ever vision was slightly more blurred than usual."

Lilmisspeace March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I've had chronic migraines for around 12 years. I take 5mg and it usually takes care of my headache. It makes my neck ache a little but the relief from the horrible symptoms of a migraine are well worth it. I've tried other triptans but this one works best. The generic is very inexpensive."

Headache Lady February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have suffered from migraines since I was a kid. I'm 49 now. In my mid 30s I started taking imitrex and it completely derailed me. I then started trying a bunch of preventative drugs, beta blocker, calcium blockers and ssri drugs. Finally found one that works fairly well, but along with that I use maxalt as a rescue drug which I still take 6+ times a month. It's a good drug and is effective. I have always noticed the migraines redoubles its efforts before leaving after I take it. I also notice it makes me very sleepy and foggy. I don't like to take it at work because of that. 9 times out of 10 it works, but there are still times it does nothing for me. Some is better than none in my world though. I take a generic due to cost."

Hld1967 (taken for 10 years or more) December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "If taken at the start of a migraine this medicine works wonders . There are side effects such as dry mouth, tiredness, and joint aches. But as anyone who has migraines know that is a small price to pay for relief from the migraine itself."

Devonlee1975 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "Maxalt works for me. It is the only one I've tried so far that does."

Bessiebug November 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "It is the only med that has helped my migraines!"

T4t September 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have a very bad migraine since one year .. And i went through many medication and tried heaps of tablets but non of then work .. And then finally my GP PRESCRIBED me with MAXALT and guess what! As soon as i put it in my tounge i felt the sense of releif and after half n hour my pain is totally gone ...WHAT A GREAT FEELINGS .. Just amazing .."

Dinesh r September 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have been getting migrainea since I was 8 years old and nothing seems to help. I started taking Maxalt 10mg for a while now and not effective at all. It feels like I'm taking a sugar pill. Although when I do take it I get very dizzy. Personally I don't recommend it but if it helps for you I say go for it!"

Kath B August 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have had migraines since I was 11. When people say they are not hereditary...they are wrong. My grandma, mom, sisters and brothers all have them they did not even skip a generation.. my daughter and nieces as well get them. My physician calls mine sinus migraines. I get stomach pain, vomiting, an aura, light sensitivity. They had me on demerol, Percocet, phenergan, imitrex, nothing helped. I have been on maxalt a few years and the one thing I have noticed is that i get pain around the upper jaw area just under the ear...then all of a sudden like the snap of a finger all pain is gone 15 to 25 min. It makes me drowsey. I wake up from my nap feeling great but real thirsty."

Mmcm1961 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I've had really bad migraines since I was 30 (now 53). I tried everything! Last medication I was on was Fioricet. It worked most times but not all the time. I also had to lay down when I took it. I have missed so many great events over the years due to migraines. I heard about Maxalt and asked my doctor to prescribe it. My quality of life is amazing. My migraine is gone within 30 minutes every time. I don't have to lay down with it either."

Migraine Free August 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "My migraines started on April 2 2016, I have had a constant headache since then, with the 13 migraines, after a CT scan in my neck, I have a long which needs to be removed, which could be the root cause for this ongoing headache however finally I was prescribed maxalt today after almost 4 months of suffering headaches and migraines,and taking other pain relief, icing it, quiet rooms, limiting bright light stimulation ,msiisng out on family and friend events and I cannot believe the difference it's made. I don't like taking medications, I try to do things naturally, think this really really helped, and I have so much relief. Kudos to the angel who told me about it from Medicare, while we were trying to sort out my card going missing"

ArisaY July 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I've had ever-worsening migraines since I was in my 40's (I'm now 73). When they started, all that was available were drugs like Fiorinal and other mind-scrambling drugs. Finally, the triptans came along and saved my life. I started with Imitrex and tried the various other triptans, but Maxalt was the most effective. I would like to share one important observation: When I first started taking triptans, I had very few side effects, and was able to function at a high-level job, run home with kids, etc. HOWEVER, as I got older, I realized that side-effects emerged which have only gotten stronger over time. e.g. fogginess, sleepiness, nausea, etc. -- so be aware that side-effects can increase with age. Still, Maxalt is a life-saver."

ImaGima (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have suffered with migraine since I was 12 yr old, and I'm now in my 50's. I've had every head exam and test possible as well as tried a myriad of medications over the years for treatment. From taking preventive type things daily to treating the pain only during the headache. Nothing has given me the swift relief as this drug. It seems to give me complete relief within 30-40 minutes, without any side effects (that I've noticed). I took immitrex for years with little relief and horrible side effects. It would make me feel dizzy, weird and always made me nauseous. So I stopped taking it. Now with the Maxalt, I'm thrilled to know I can take it without worry of unwanted side effect. Thank you Maxalt! Finally migraine relief! "

JCDFIELDS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have suffered from migraines since I was 19 (now 23). My migraines were debilitating and caused me to miss a lot of school, so my doctor prescribed me Maxalt. Maxalt almost always cures my migraines within 1-2 hours! The relief is long lasting; one dose and I am usually pain-free for an entire day. For me, side effects are infrequent and usually very minor (sleepiness, dizziness, “foggy brain”). To elaborate on the “foggy brain” side effect, post-headache I would sometimes experience a feeling of euphoria combined with a difficulty concentrating. Usually this is not a big deal, but if I was taking an exam it would slightly affect my performance and concentration. Overall, a great medication that has improved my quality of life!"

Marissaa (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have suffered from migraines since I was 15 , and am now 42. Maxalt has changed my life ! I used to be in agony for up to 3 days , but now at the first sign of an attack I take one , very rarely I have had to take another one a few hours after that if it started to come back . It can sometimes make me drowsy, but other times I have no side effects , just relief that there is something that actually works . I'm in Australia, so a pack of 4 costs me $25 ."

Thepixie4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "Since I was about 26 I have suffered from migraines (now 65) and tried everything from daily preventative meds, to expensive self injecting & very expensive medication, then cafegot suppositories with 3 aspro clear for the pain, I could spend hours and days feeling like dying and vomiting non stop, then there was a shortage of cafegot and that was hell, and finally they took it off the market, that is when my Dr. asked me to trial Maxalt wafers, at first I thought nothing could replace cafegot and I was very conscious of not taking ergotomine with rizatriptan. Maxalt is the best, it works within an hour, and so far after 4-5 years no side effects at all, and no more vomiting ever. Also I do not take any other drugs for anything, but Maxalt."

PamelaJB March 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I've had migraines since I was 11 and was first prescribed Maxalt when I was 17. It's wonderful. I take it as soon as I start to notice the signs of a migraine and about 70% of the time the first dose does the job, within an hour or less. Occasionally I take a second dose if the symptoms haven't gone after 2-3 hours. Very occasionally it doesn't work at all. It has improved my life enormously. I evangelize about it. My migraines used to last up to 3 days - now I get a unkillable one only once or twice a year. Side effects for me are (as someone else has mentioned) one sneeze within a few minutes of taking it, a little drowsiness and eventually a little euphoria (though maybe that's a rational response to knowing the migraine has gone)."

SarahOxford (taken for 10 years or more) February 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I've suffered from migraines almost all my life, first one (which I don't personally remember) was when I was five. My migraines can come a few days a week or as long as six months from each other so I prefer not to be on a every day medication. Having tried different types of medication, I am happy now that I have found something that really does help.I have probably been taking maxalt about 10 years now and have no desire to take anything else."

That Canadian Guy February 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "Works well, Headaches gone in about 2 hours of taking it."

Dave36 December 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "Usually works well for me and don't make me drowsy."

Onyshko September 3, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have suffered migraines for since I was 30 and I am now 51. I use to lay in bed for days, and would end up in the hospital. I finally had a nurse ask me why wasn't I on prescription medication. I told her my doctor told me I would outgrow them. I took her advice and switched doctors. He put me on maxalt 10 mg, and it changed my life!!!!! I take them now when I feel the onset of a headache and it never develops into a migraine. It saddens me to think how long I suffered when this wonderful drug was out there available. I almost lost my job because of the migraines. I was missing a lot of work. There were times when we would be on vacation and all I could do was lay in the hotel sick as a dog because of the migraines. thanks maxalt."

Towanna August 28, 2015