User Reviews for Maxalt to treat Migraine

Maxalt has an average rating of 8.8 out of 10 from a total of 108 ratings for the treatment of Migraine. 89% of those users who reviewed Maxalt reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Maxalt Rating Summary

8.8/10 average rating

Compare all 130 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Maxalt

Daisy · Taken for 10 years or more April 12, 2021

“Hello, I have had migraines for over 30 years (it started in my teens). I have tried MANY types of medications. NONE has worked as well as Maxalt. The generic is a dissolving tab that has a soft mint smell. It works within a half an hour for me and prevent the really nasty ones.”

Clint R · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2021

“Suffered from hemiplegic migraines from 15-32 then they stopped. Age 40 now and recently had catheter ablation. Had three migraine with aura day of surgery and 8 in subsequent 10 days. Maxalt has been a godsend for me. After aura I have no migraine pain!”

Andi Boo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 21, 2020

“Maxalt works. Sometimes I still feel a pounding in my head but it doesn't hurt. Unfortunately, it does make me insanely tired where I cannot stay awake. 30 minutes after taking it, if I try to stay awake I get woozy, can't walk straight, and can't talk well. Usually resolves after 2 hours, but most the time I can't stay awake and sleep for those 2 hours instead. Usually takes another hour for the grogginess to go away. Makes it hard to take during work hours. I will also get a soreness in my muscles, which makes it difficult to workout later in the day. But hey, it works, and is better than nothing!”

MM December 4, 2019

“I had migraines that would last anywhere from 8 to 16 hours every 2-3 weeks once I hit my 20s. It would feel like someone injected poison into the right side of my head and neck, and the poison would pulsate every 30 seconds with blindingly sharp icky pain. I tracked my migraines closely for 2 years and finally switched to a doctor/neurologist who worked with me on what it could be. I have issues with my serotonin levels and was diagnosed with the migraines without aura. I used all the OTC drugs for my migraines and would always feel nauseated or it wouldn't work. Finally, I tried the rizatriptan/Maxalt 10mg tablets and they worked within 30minutes of my migraine attacks! I've never been so thankful to have this. My migraines now only happen about once a month, but this prescription has never given me any adverse side effects or pain. Hopefully others can find this prescription beneficial as I have.”

Tomo · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 6, 2019

“Maxalt is an absolute Life saver Normally takes around an hour to kick in and 9/10 times completely conquers my migraine Only subtle side effects I experience is a little foggy headed. And my skin tingles a little. Definetely better then dealing with severe migraines”

Kae · Taken for 10 years or more July 18, 2019

“I have chronic migraines and have prescriptions for two medications. Zomig and Maxalt. When I have a severe migraine and must go to bed I take Zomig. But if I can catch the migraine before it hits, I take Maxalt. To me this is a wonder drug. The only side effect is that the next day I am not as sharp as I usually am which could also be the bi-product of the migraine. I highly recommend this product for mild to moderate migraines.”

Dust Imp · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 17, 2019

“I took Maxalt for years and it worked wonderfully most of the time as long as I took it before my migraine got too bad. Then all of a sudden last year I had an allergic reaction to it. My face swelled, my throat felt like it was closing and I had hives. Had to go to the ER.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2019

“Migraine gone, severe anxiety, agitation, brain fog. Also felt light headed and had neck and jaw pain. Two days on and still feel weird in the head. Terrible medication, would rather have the migraine all week then take this poison ever again.”

PamB February 20, 2019

“From age of 26 suffered migraines, vomiting for days on end, had all sorts of medicines, before Maxalt were cafergot suppositories - a saviour but many side effects. For past 9 years or so have been taking Maxalt this is excellent for me, usually one wafer, rest a little for an hour and I feel like brand new, which is amazing considering what I have been through in past. My brand was MSD, however recently my pharmacist gave me APO and I remember once before being prescribed this generic and it did not seem as effective, I conveyed this to Pharmacist and he said they are both the same, but after not having a migraine for some time took the Maxalt APO today and I must say it was not really that effective, although my migraine has subsided it has not gone completely, never happened with Maxalt MSD brand it never failed me. One could say its in my head (excuse the pun) but I am curious with the result, the wafers taste different and dissolve at a different rate? Any comments from anyone else?”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2014

“I love Maxalt my doctor gave it to me about 4 months ago. After years of no relief my migraine was gone in 20 minutes! I admit I get extremely sleepy after I take it but a 1 hour nap and I'm back in business. Much better then four days of blinding pain that's for sure it is very expensive but I contacted my local clinic and they had me fill out some forms and received a free 6 month supply at which time I can reapply. You can also try contacting the company online they may help depending on your income.”

Elebia · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 21, 2015

“I've had migraines for years and have been given everything for them. I also believe I've gone through every triptan that one could imagine. This medicine has been phenomenal in relieving really tough migraine pain. Within 30 minutes I can get relief. Also, I like that you can get it in sublingual form. Sometimes my migraines are so bad that I'm constantly throwing up everything. When I'm nauseous the sublingual form is wonderful, however, it also comes in a tiny tablet. I keep this with me at all times. It has saved me from multiple hospital visits in the past. Hope this helps!”

LizCarter January 10, 2014

“I've suffered from severe, debilitating migraines since I was 30 (I'm now 49). I've been prescribed everything under the sun but Maxalt is the ONLY medication that works for me. First of all, it dissolves under my tongue so I know that if I vomit, I won't throw it up. Secondly, and especially if I take it at the first sign of a migraine, it usually only takes about 30 minutes to kick in and fully eradicate my migraine. Imitrex and the others I've been on haven't worked or haven't worked as completely as Maxalt. I consider it a life saver.”

shiqs · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2013

“I have tried different medicines for migraines, all just calmed it down a little, it just had to run its 3 day duration. Am seeing another Dr & she put me on Maxalt yesterday, my migraine was gone within an hour of taking it. I just want to go back and hug her because after 5 yrs of trying I just accepted my pain. It made me drowsy, but I will take drowsy over pain any day.”

Becca4130 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 28, 2018

“This medication seems to work the best out of the triptans I have tried. I take it as needed in addition to Topamax which I take daily as a preventative. It usually works within an hour and I do not need a second pill. I take the generic it works fine for me. I get migraines from weather pressure, hormones, foods and smells. Life changer for me.”

Sheba Jane · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 13, 2015

“I have suffered with severe menstrual migraines for 25+ years to the point where I fantasize about amputating my head. I was on Imitrex (made me very sleepy), Relpax (worthless) , generic (even worse). Maxalt is my go to medicine. Unfortunately its a fight with the insurance company to get regular refills. They are trying to force me to take a generic. I used to get 12 tablets and they changed it to 9- which 9 is not enough. When I run out I cannot help but pray for the day I get a refill fearing I will get a migraine before that time. When the refill day comes, I stalk my pharmacy on the phone until it is ready. Ugh...talk about "drug-seeking" !”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 18, 2012

“Tried Imitrex and Relpax first, but had bad heart-squeezing and neck-squeezing side effects. Tried Maxalt and did not have that problem. It usually takes away the migraines, but can take 1-2 hours to get relief. I'm also very fatigued after the pain goes away, which makes daytime onset of migraines a hassle. Also for the 1-2 hours I am waiting for it to work, the pain actually intensifies until suddenly it lets go and the blood vessels in my head feel cold. Strange, but true.”

SUE UK · Taken for 10 years or more September 29, 2013

“At 59 years of age have been suffering migraines since I was 21. Think I have tried every medication available in the UK. Maxalt is the only thing that has ever worked for me.Pain usually gone after 20 minutes, before I took Maxalt I could be in bed for 2 days rolling around in agony. Only side effects are tiredness and strangely It makes me sneeze just once as soon as I have taken it. Maxalt has completely changed my life. Fortunate to live in UK as I get it free on national health prescription.”

ImaGima · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 28, 2016

“I've had ever-worsening migraines since I was in my 40's (I'm now 73). When they started, all that was available were drugs like Fiorinal and other mind-scrambling drugs. Finally, the triptans came along and saved my life. I started with Imitrex and tried the various other triptans, but Maxalt was the most effective. I would like to share one important observation: When I first started taking triptans, I had very few side effects, and was able to function at a high-level job, run home with kids, etc. HOWEVER, as I got older, I realized that side-effects emerged which have only gotten stronger over time. e.g. fogginess, sleepiness, nausea, etc. -- so be aware that side-effects can increase with age. Still, Maxalt is a life-saver.”

dfel October 13, 2013

“I had a migraine for 7 days. When I finally couldn't take the pain anymore, I went to my doctor and was prescribed this medication. Within 20 minutes my migraine was gone. Its heaven sent. You have to take it as soon as you feel a migraine coming on. Also it makes me very sleepy. But almost all medications do that to me. If you haven't taken it ...get it. It will solve your migraine problems.”

Mmcm1961 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 19, 2016

“I have had migraines since I was 11. When people say they are not hereditary...they are wrong. My grandma, mom, sisters and brothers all have them they did not even skip a generation.. my daughter and nieces as well get them. My physician calls mine sinus migraines. I get stomach pain, vomiting, an aura, light sensitivity. They had me on demerol, Percocet, phenergan, imitrex, nothing helped. I have been on maxalt a few years and the one thing I have noticed is that i get pain around the upper jaw area just under the ear...then all of a sudden like the snap of a finger all pain is gone 15 to 25 min. It makes me drowsey. I wake up from my nap feeling great but real thirsty.”

Tnt September 18, 2018

“Have used maxalt and generic versions of it for years with good results, must take at first signs a migraine. I also have discovered that if you take it at least 1 hour before bed it is very helpful in reducing hot flashes at night, thus is something I discovered on my own but it works.”

GJ FROM N.J. May 30, 2008

“I have been using Maxalt for about 5 plus years now. I have tried other migraine meds but Maxalt is the only one that helps the migraine pain and allows me to function - before this med. I would have to take my usual trip to the emergency room for treatment and a few time was actually hospitalized for the pain and dehydration. It was terrible, but now i can depend on Maxalt - it is a miracle.”

Towanna August 28, 2015

“I have suffered migraines for since I was 30 and I am now 51. I use to lay in bed for days, and would end up in the hospital. I finally had a nurse ask me why wasn't I on prescription medication. I told her my doctor told me I would outgrow them. I took her advice and switched doctors. He put me on maxalt 10 mg, and it changed my life!!!!! I take them now when I feel the onset of a headache and it never develops into a migraine. It saddens me to think how long I suffered when this wonderful drug was out there available. I almost lost my job because of the migraines. I was missing a lot of work. There were times when we would be on vacation and all I could do was lay in the hotel sick as a dog because of the migraines. thanks maxalt.”

Dianajh73 January 20, 2013

“I have only experienced a handful of migraines as an adult (had them often as a child but they ended with puberty), but frequency has increased to 3 within the last year. This was the first time I have had migraine medicine to take. Dr. gave me a few different samples - Maxalt 10mg was the one I took. It was really AMAZING that within 5 minutes of taking it the vice-like pain was gone. I did experience extreme fatigue, some nausea, diuresis (clammy & sweaty), and some muscle pain, but, to be honest I just tried to sleep through most of it. I woke up about 2hrs later feeling better and able to function again. Next time I will ask for a prescription for 5mg, which may decrease the side effects.”

Femborg · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 8, 2014

“I have been taking Maxalt for migraines for the past five years. This medication is the only one I have found that really takes care of the migraine and any residual headache. The generic ones don't work for me. ”

Anonymous March 20, 2008

“This medicine is a miracle drug. I have migraines that last for 3 days and until my doctor prescribed maxalt I could not get rid of them or function properly. Now I take a pill and within 30 min it is gone. My life is so much nicer I am up moving around exercising and actually living my life like a normal person.”

DEBORAHSHARON · Taken for 10 years or more October 15, 2017

“I suffered from severe migraines for years and all the side effects that go with them. Nothing so much even eased the symptoms off even a little. Then in 2000 my doctor prescribed Maxalt. I placed the dissolving tablet under my tongue and in less than 15 minutes my symptoms started fading, in less than 30 minutes they were gone completely! Truly a miracle drug that I could not live without. If you haven't tried it, it's time to talk to your doctor.”

Just Sayin' · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 9, 2012

“I've always had 3 day migraines. MaxAlt will take it away in about 35 minutes. Sometimes I would have to take another one (dissolved in my mouth) the next day. I cannot stress enough how much I love this medicine. I come from days when Darvon's were given for migraines, they didn't do anything but zombie you with the pain. I thank the scientist who figured out how to control whatever it is that is being controlled. Of course, it IS too expensive. Without insurance, I would have to suffer, as they are about $32 per pill!”

Learn more about Migraine