User Reviews for Maxalt

Maxalt Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 126 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Maxalt to treat Migraine

"Maxalt is a life saver. I have been using this med for 7 years. Most times I have to take 2 pills within 24 hours. My problem is I wait and hope my headache won't turn into a migraine. Then when it is a migraine I take the pill. By then it takes hours for the migraine and aura to break. The side effects I can deal with. Tiredness,nausea that is mild and some dizziness. I recommend Maxalt to anyone who can benefit from it."

Brockaway February 12, 2018

"This medication seems to work the best out of the triptans I have tried. I take it as needed in addition to Topamax which I take daily as a preventative. It usually works within an hour and I do not need a second pill. I take the generic it works fine for me. I get migraines from weather pressure, hormones, foods and smells. Life changer for me."

Becca4130 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2018

"I have had great results with Maxalt. The problem is now a generic form of Maxalt came out and It just doesn't work as good as the real Maxalt. I have to take 3 times as much and just get minimal response from the generic medication. I might as well just ride out the migraine that normally doesn't last more than 24 hrs and not have to worry about the possible side effects of the drug. The real Maxalt is worth any side effect it might come with. I would rather suffer a heart attack than have a migraine any day. You just have to be lucky enough to have a Dr that will tell the insurance company you need the real stuff."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 9, 2018

"I have used MAXALT for about 8 years and it is a life changer - generally 45 minutes and it lifts after sometimes crippling migraines from the age of 6. Occasionally I need a second but would never take more than 2 in 24 hours as directed by my doctor. Fairly minimal side effects but an extra positive is that it appears to clear my sinuses too!! I thought I was imagining it but I then found some research that confirmed this"

MWIA (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2018

"I've had migraines for over 40 years. As a teenager they were hormonal only. I didn't have any while pregnant! Afterwards they came back and are now weather pressure, hormonal + allergy related. I have to go rest if I need a Maxalt 10mg due to side effects. Maxalt 5mg allow me to continue to work but I don't feel I could drive as eyesight and reactions are impaired. I have found if you need a 2nd Maxalt, thats ok but a 3rd will increase the migraine like taking too many pain meds. If you do this, you need to regulate yourself back to no meds to get the migraine to go."

Bev, Acton, ON (taken for 10 years or more) December 14, 2017

"99% of the time my migraine symptoms fade within an hour. I have had to take a second tablet only twice in ten years. I can function as normal. The only drawback is feeling tired and increased urination, but compared to going through a 36 hour migraine, that's nothing!"

JannaP (taken for 10 years or more) October 29, 2017

"My first time taking it. I have complex partial seizures and my aura has changed to where I now have migraine headaches afterwards. We are doing test to rule out other problems but this medicine helped me more than anything so far. Still have that groggy feeling afterwards but I can deal with that. Just do not know how I can take it should I have to at work since I work in a call center 10 hours a day with constant calls."

Jenna B (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2017

"I suffered from severe migraines for years and all the side effects that go with them. Nothing so much even eased the symptoms off even a little. Then in 2000 my doctor prescribed Maxalt. I placed the dissolving tablet under my tongue and in less than 15 minutes my symptoms started fading, in less than 30 minutes they were gone completely! Truly a miracle drug that I could not live without. If you haven't tried it, it's time to talk to your doctor."

DEBORAHSHARON (taken for 10 years or more) October 15, 2017

"I have used maxalt four times in the last three months. The first time it worked fine and it was gone in a few hours but had heart racing. The second migraine I was concerned about the side effects but gave a second chance. I had severe throbbing in my head like it was going to explode and then suddenly the migraine broke. My third attempt my migraine was so severe that I had to take a second dose for relief! I find that if I take it on the onset it works but still light headache and felt numbing sensation. My fourth today no relief after 2nd dose. Took 3rd after 4 hours but still feeling migraine. Had slight heart racing and throbbing pain. I may continue to see if this is right meds. If not, then I think there's no hope for me!"

Rose B September 6, 2017

"I was prescribed this medication because I was experiencing severe migraines multiple times a month. After taking the medication, I usually have to take another pill an hour later and my headache symptoms will go away. It makes me very sleepy and gives me slight chest pain that feels like heartburn. If I don't rest right after taking it, the headache still goes away but I get severe nausea, dizziness, and tightness in my chest. The side effects eventually go away, but they are awful while they are occurring. The trade off of headache and side effects doesn't seem really worth it to me, but that's just my opinion."

lyd12jub July 20, 2017

"For me Maxalt is a miracle drug. I have tried almost everything OTC, and nothing worked. Excedrin worked for awhile, then after a few weeks, it stopped working. I can always count on Maxalt to get rid of my migraines. I usually feel relief within an hour of taking it. That being said ,this drug is very expensive. Even with insurance and taking the generic version, I am still out of pocket about $50 a box, and they only give you 12 pills. Sometimes I have 3 or 4 migraines in a week, so this can get really expensive. It works wonders for me though, so unfortunately it's a necessary expense."

Cg74 June 22, 2017

"Must take within 20 minutes of onset. The longer you wait, the longer it takes to work. Keep it in your pocket/wallet at all times. For me, it is a lifesaver."

MiamiMan (taken for 10 years or more) May 16, 2017

"I am a 35yo female and had my first migraine at 16yo just after giving birth to my firstborn. Over the years, particularly after each baby, the symptoms have become worse and are always experienced during menstruation. Recently codeine products that would normally help are not even touching the sides of the pain, and I have been experiencing increasing levels of sickness that anti-nausea tablets don't have any impact on. But yesterday a friend gave me a maxalt wafer because I couldn't function under the intensity of the sickness and pain. At first it didn't seem to do anything. But after maybe an hour to 90 minutes and I was no longer sick, nor was I in pain!! It was like a miracle!! How ever vision was slightly more blurred than usual."

Lilmisspeace March 23, 2017

"I've had chronic migraines for around 12 years. I take 5mg and it usually takes care of my headache. It makes my neck ache a little but the relief from the horrible symptoms of a migraine are well worth it. I've tried other triptans but this one works best. The generic is very inexpensive."

Headache Lady February 20, 2017

"I have suffered from migraines since I was a kid. I'm 49 now. In my mid 30s I started taking imitrex and it completely derailed me. I then started trying a bunch of preventative drugs, beta blocker, calcium blockers and ssri drugs. Finally found one that works fairly well, but along with that I use maxalt as a rescue drug which I still take 6+ times a month. It's a good drug and is effective. I have always noticed the migraines redoubles its efforts before leaving after I take it. I also notice it makes me very sleepy and foggy. I don't like to take it at work because of that. 9 times out of 10 it works, but there are still times it does nothing for me. Some is better than none in my world though. I take a generic due to cost."

Hld1967 (taken for 10 years or more) December 23, 2016

"If taken at the start of a migraine this medicine works wonders . There are side effects such as dry mouth, tiredness, and joint aches. But as anyone who has migraines know that is a small price to pay for relief from the migraine itself."

Devonlee1975 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 3, 2016

"Maxalt works for me. It is the only one I've tried so far that does."

Bessiebug November 2, 2016

"It is the only med that has helped my migraines!"

T4t September 27, 2016

"I have a very bad migraine since one year .. And i went through many medication and tried heaps of tablets but non of then work .. And then finally my GP PRESCRIBED me with MAXALT and guess what! As soon as i put it in my tounge i felt the sense of releif and after half n hour my pain is totally gone ...WHAT A GREAT FEELINGS .. Just amazing .."

Dinesh r September 6, 2016

"I have been getting migrainea since I was 8 years old and nothing seems to help. I started taking Maxalt 10mg for a while now and not effective at all. It feels like I'm taking a sugar pill. Although when I do take it I get very dizzy. Personally I don't recommend it but if it helps for you I say go for it!"

Kath B August 25, 2016

"I have had migraines since I was 11. When people say they are not hereditary...they are wrong. My grandma, mom, sisters and brothers all have them they did not even skip a generation.. my daughter and nieces as well get them. My physician calls mine sinus migraines. I get stomach pain, vomiting, an aura, light sensitivity. They had me on demerol, Percocet, phenergan, imitrex, nothing helped. I have been on maxalt a few years and the one thing I have noticed is that i get pain around the upper jaw area just under the ear...then all of a sudden like the snap of a finger all pain is gone 15 to 25 min. It makes me drowsey. I wake up from my nap feeling great but real thirsty."

Mmcm1961 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

"I've had really bad migraines since I was 30 (now 53). I tried everything! Last medication I was on was Fioricet. It worked most times but not all the time. I also had to lay down when I took it. I have missed so many great events over the years due to migraines. I heard about Maxalt and asked my doctor to prescribe it. My quality of life is amazing. My migraine is gone within 30 minutes every time. I don't have to lay down with it either."

Migraine Free August 9, 2016

"My migraines started on April 2 2016, I have had a constant headache since then, with the 13 migraines, after a CT scan in my neck, I have a long which needs to be removed, which could be the root cause for this ongoing headache however finally I was prescribed maxalt today after almost 4 months of suffering headaches and migraines,and taking other pain relief, icing it, quiet rooms, limiting bright light stimulation ,msiisng out on family and friend events and I cannot believe the difference it's made. I don't like taking medications, I try to do things naturally, think this really really helped, and I have so much relief. Kudos to the angel who told me about it from Medicare, while we were trying to sort out my card going missing"

ArisaY July 28, 2016

"I've had ever-worsening migraines since I was in my 40's (I'm now 73). When they started, all that was available were drugs like Fiorinal and other mind-scrambling drugs. Finally, the triptans came along and saved my life. I started with Imitrex and tried the various other triptans, but Maxalt was the most effective. I would like to share one important observation: When I first started taking triptans, I had very few side effects, and was able to function at a high-level job, run home with kids, etc. HOWEVER, as I got older, I realized that side-effects emerged which have only gotten stronger over time. e.g. fogginess, sleepiness, nausea, etc. -- so be aware that side-effects can increase with age. Still, Maxalt is a life-saver."

ImaGima (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 28, 2016

"I have suffered with migraine since I was 12 yr old, and I'm now in my 50's. I've had every head exam and test possible as well as tried a myriad of medications over the years for treatment. From taking preventive type things daily to treating the pain only during the headache. Nothing has given me the swift relief as this drug. It seems to give me complete relief within 30-40 minutes, without any side effects (that I've noticed). I took immitrex for years with little relief and horrible side effects. It would make me feel dizzy, weird and always made me nauseous. So I stopped taking it. Now with the Maxalt, I'm thrilled to know I can take it without worry of unwanted side effect. Thank you Maxalt! Finally migraine relief! "

JCDFIELDS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 14, 2016