User Reviews for Pioglitazone

Diabetes, Type 2 5.1
Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease 3.0

Reviews for Pioglitazone

Gamera1969 January 29, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on Actos 30mg for over a year but 3 months ago I started having severe daytime drowsiness. I went to see a sleep doctor about this and they recommended some that I follow a strict sleep schedule and make a few medication changes. I called the sleep people and demanded another sleep study in case my C-PAP machine needed to be adjusted. They adjusted it but 2 weeks later there was no improvement. So they had me wear an Atigraphy Watch for a week to see how much I slept among many other things to keep track of. They called today 1/29/2020 and said it must be a drug that I am taking. I told them that there isn't any new medications I am taking. Almost all of them I have been on for years. But as I was napping in the afternoon as usual it crossed my mind that there are 2 drugs that I have not been taking for several years. Actos & Jardiance. So I looked up the side-effects of these drugs and BAM! there it is for Actos....Extreme Fatigue. I am NOT taking this drug.”

Doodleman · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 13, 2019

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Took Actos prescribed by VA doctor, now because of this, I have got stage 4 bladder cancer. It took 4 years and 36 treatments to get in remission. Actos is banned in some countries except USA. Yet the VA still prescribe it. Someone must be getting kickbacks, wither the FDA or VA in my opinion.”

Momdabomb · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 28, 2019

Actos (pioglitazone) for Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: “My endocrinologist prescribed actos to help remove fat from my liver and keep my blood sugars under control. I have suddenly gained 18 pounds while nothing has changed with my diet or exercise. I have been feeling lethargic. I was informed it is banned in Europe for causing liver, pancreatic, and bladder cancer-not to mention congestive heart failure. I have stopped Actos on my own after reading there are over 10,000 lawsuits pertaining to it.”

Jimmy the Cricket · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 13, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Took Pioglitazone for about 8 months or so, all was OK, my numbers were down for a while, but now I have gained weight, the numbers stay the same, I feel tired, dizzy, I was swelling from the waist down all the way to my feet to the point that I had a hard time getting into my clothes. I contacted the Dr and he reduced the dosage, but I felt the same the fatigue continued and so the swelling. I was not myself anymore, I decided to stop taking the pioglitazone on my own for about three weeks now and I am back in action, my numbers have not changed, I feel alive again, the swelling has gone down a bit, but the fatigue is gone. I will give my doctor one more chance to find an alternative medication, if none available will look to change to another doctor for sure. 1.0”

Jerry · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Started taking 15mg of this drug once a day. No effects for first 12 days. On Day 14 I started having shortness of breath and chest tightness. Gradually got worse over the next several days until just a quick walk across the room would leave me stopping to gasp for breath. Stopped taking the drug after reading these reviews on day 21. It's now day 28 and I continue to have the same symptoms.”

JennyJen · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Lowered blood glucose (BG) and A1C but the side effects couldn't be tolerated. Leg and abdominal edema was considerable resulting in weight gain, pelvic floor pressure with less bladder control. Went off for a couple months then tried again at lower dose. Leg edema not as noticeable but again had me thinking I had a UTI which I again did not, cultured to confirm. I was on the med for 5 weeks each time and problems worsened, which after that long I would expect them to decrease. This med is definitely not for me.”

Vicky · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 2, 2018

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I was on this pill for about 2 years gained about 40 pounds and also had really bad muscle pain. I took myself off of it so far have lost close too 20 pounds and muscle are feeling so much better. These pills the doctors give me freak me out. All the side effects are so bad.”

sammycross · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2017

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Worked well at first. Now I get 200 plus readings when I wake up.”

Kat R · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2016

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been taking actos since Nov and had great results at first and now it seems like it it doesn't work at all even after taking an additional pill with evening meals. Blood sugar readings are the same with or without it”

redhand32 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2015

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Effective. However, because of issues with possible Bladder Cancer reports, my new Endocrinologist immediately took me off Actos. Also, nausea and vomiting side effects.”

Plowdeep · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 30, 2015

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been taking Actos for 5 years. Recently the cardiologist diagnosed me with heart failure. My EF is 30%. 2 weeks ago I stopped taking Actos and my fasting blood test is 125 the same reading as when I was taking Actos.”

J0hn_Lloyd · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2015

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Actos 15mg Metformin 850 mg works for me for almost 3 months now. Before I have fbs of 185 and 225 after meal. Now, almost everyday I prick, I got around 90 and 100 before and after meal. Better take these meds before breakfast.”

Pininfarina · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 14, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I'm simply amazed at how well this med has worked at controlling my glucose levels. It has gotten my daily glucose readings, as well as my A1c, down to the point where my doc is concerned about hypoglycemia, and may start to reduce, or possible eliminate, one of my other diabetes meds. Couldn't be happier.”

Rose C. January 14, 2015

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “When I was initially diagnosed, my Dr. put me on Metformin, which just ripped my stomach to bits. He prescribed Actos in October, and I had really good luck with it until around Christmastime - I started having HORRIBLE sinus problems and nosebleeds. We dropped to a 15 mg dose, but still no change with the sinus issues. I went off it all together and all the symptoms disappeared. It was never our long term plan to keep me on Actos because of the cardiac implications, but it did the job we needed it to do; I went from fasting 400-504 BG readings down to fasting readings of 110-115.”

MarkN · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been taking 30mg of Pioglitazone daily. Noticed increased anxiety, weight gain, difficulty sleeping at night. Going to stop tomorrow 12/1/14 to see if any conditions reverse themselves.”

Tbeckley548 July 3, 2013

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I am 66 years old and have been on Actos for over five years, taking 45mg. Lately I have experienced shortness of breath swelling of ankles and feet, weight gain, anemia and fatique. My primary physician ordered an echo-cardiogram and a lung function test and they both indicated my heart and lungs were fine. Dr. attributed the issues to my taking Actos and immediately took me off the medication. He replaced it with Tradjenta (5mg) and asked me to monitor my blood sugar levels three times a day during the transition. I have been off Actos for 24 hours and feel better already. I know that sounds impossible but I believe it may have been the cause of my recent health issues.”

vin1z November 16, 2011

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Used to get hallucinations at times in the night after using pioglitazone. Scary side effect. My doctor changed me over to a different combination.”

Anonymous October 29, 2011

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been taking Actos 15mg for about a month now, no ill effects like I feared. I keep watch for edema and so far nothing. My insurance would not cover the Januvia I used to be on- and for me Actos works better. My numbers are normal now (90-140) and they were high normal on the Januvia. I would recommend this medicine to people who cannot afford the DDP-4 (Januvia class) drugs.”

Anonymous October 24, 2011

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Actos has worked well for me for 10 years and now comes FDA with another cancer scare. Anything can induce cancer and the scientific data on Actos causing cancer does not have that much credibility with me.”

Anonymous May 5, 2011

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Causes edema. I lost 30lbs in less than 3 months after going off Actos.”

epiphany4z January 25, 2011

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Took 30 mg Actos for 8 or so months was very happy with it at first. It did lower my numbers but...I had so many bad side effects. Weight gain, chronic fatigue, swelling, urgent need to urinate, watery eyes, and pain. I could barley get up my steps. I stopped taking this medicine myself and I feel as if I have been raised from the dead. ”

nosugar4me October 16, 2010

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been taking 30 mg of Actos per day for 3 years. In that time I have gained 55 lbs and I have had problems with my feet, ankles and lower legs swelling. I would have stopped taking this medication a long time ago but I was blaming the water retention and weight gain on menopause. Now that I stopped taking Actos I lost 4 lbs in 2 days.”

Lepricon September 25, 2010

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “My blood sugar level with Actos is higher then without taking it.”

Anonymous September 22, 2010

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Experienced many side effects, blood sugar was higher than before I was placed on Actos. My doctor took me off of it immediately. After she did, I felt great.”

Nikitagirl June 17, 2010

Actos (pioglitazone) for Diabetes, Type 2: “My doctor put me on Actos 6 months ago. I noticed swelling of legs and feet. The joints in my arms are aching daily. I also had a 23 pound weight gain and noticed headaches. But it has brought my sugar levels back under control. I didn't know about the particular side effects. I am going to talk to my doctor about them and see if I can get a replacement.”