User Reviews for Nardil to treat Depression

Nardil has an average rating of 8.6 out of 10 from a total of 84 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 81% of those users who reviewed Nardil reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Nardil Rating Summary

8.6/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Nardil

Sassy · Taken for 10 years or more April 28, 2021

“Has anyone thought of suing the company for negligence. After all the years it’s been around. Now they have a shortage. There is something else going on. I have been on it for 37 years and it has been the only med that worked. And I tried plenty years ago that made me worse. This is a absolutely disgusting.”

SFC01 · Taken for 10 years or more April 24, 2021

“The stupidity and laziness of most practitioners refusal to prescribe MAOIs/Nardil ruined 10 years of my life. When I finally was allowed it, my anxiety and depression simply vanished overnight after just two weeks on it. All that time messing about with SSRI's etc, all those years slowly losing the will to live, the misery....and bang...gone overnight Doctors, it will take you ten mins on the internet to learn that these are safe drugs...10 mins...and you are on 100k salaries. Depression is in huge numbers now so earn your money instead of just giving old Edna some bunion cream”

Dfcan · Taken for 10 years or more April 18, 2021

“Pfizer purchased the patent for nardil. As stated above they changed the coatings. I imported it to Germany where I was working on a military base. Returning to the US in 2018, the Pdoc prescribed again Pfizer Nardil. The same thing happened to me. He suggested shock therapy which I declined. He did not even know the formula was altered. I now use the Lupin brand which is good, but not nearly as good as the name brands. As there is now a world wide shortage, If you have had a similar experience, please join our group on FB just look for Nardil Shortage and Support Group MAOI Q&A. As a researcher, I and others are going to take them to task on this matter. Your support will be very helpful. thank you”

LoveHopes November 11, 2020

“I've been on Nardil for 30 years after trying a bunch of other non-MAOI meds. It has been the ONLY anti-depressant that has worked for me! For reasons too long to explain, I had to go off Nardil about 10 years ago, and I became SO sick! I had nausea 24/7 for almost 6 months and obviously, was getting more and more depressed! We thought I would start to feel better after some time until finally, I couldn't take it any longer. Within the first 24 hrs of going back on Nardil, I started to feel physically better. A year or two later I tried to go off Nardil again. During a 6 month period, I was only able to wean off 1 of 3 pills, but I was sick the entire time! The moment I take even a half a pill, I'm not sick! Unfortunately, I am physically not able to go off Nardil even if I wanted to! I just hope that I won't ever HAVE to go off Nardil for health reasons because I will just be sick and depressed! Has anyone else experienced that or similar reaction to going off Nardil?”

Veronica cohen · Taken for 10 years or more November 21, 2019

“Nardil has helped me amazingly for over 40 years. When I was told it was no longer available in early October my GP told me I must have a 15 day gap before being prescribed another group - unhelpful being an understatement! However, I asked her to refer me to a psychiatrist ASAP, & got a private appointment within three days, Nardil IS available, I was sent a 3 month supply by courier, the problem is that neither the NHS or BUPA will pay, fortunately I’m able to. IMO this was not handled well, & I was not going to go through a Wash-Out suffer symptoms etc when it wasn't necessary. If anybody’s told by their care team that this Nardil is unavailable it’s not true. Please don’t be fobbed of by your GP’s surgery, YOU are the patient/Client ”

Angel · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 1, 2020

“Nardil changed my life. I have tried almost every SSRI, SNRI, the atypicals and buspirone, etc for social anxiety disorder. They don't come close to Nardil. I have atypical depression, social anxiety, GAD, and ADD. The side effects are low blood pressure and insomnia. Easily treated with meds. I have tried everything on the banned food list and never had any slight increase whatsoever in BP. I am convinced the tyramine thing is just an old myth. When I first tried Nardil it was like a light came on after living my whole life in the dark. I will be on this med for the rest of my life as long as they keep making it.”

Me · Taken for 10 years or more November 30, 2020

“After 15 years of unsuccessful attempts to treat my depression with every possible SSRI and SNRI, I found an academic psychopharmacologist. He suggested Nardil. Within three weeks, the world changed. True, the interactions can seem worrisome. But it’s a minuscule price for a life finally lived.”

Adrian · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 28, 2020

“My 22 year old son tried over a dozen antidepressants without getting relief from debilitating depression with suicidal thoughts. He also tried TMS and Ketamine infusions with no relief. He had almost immediate relief from his symptoms from Nardil 30 mg twice a day. He also takes Seroquel at night to aid sleeping and relieve anxiety. This medication saved my son’s life. We have not had trouble getting it here (Wisconsin), thus far. I don’t know what we would do if it was not available.”

zeusovich · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 5, 2017

“5 weeks after I started Nardil my life completely changed. After 15 years I could smile again. I have tried every drug under the sun for my depression and social anxiety (SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, APs, benzos, opiates) but nothing has worked until Nardil.”

Druggist · Taken for 10 years or more June 14, 2020

“I have been using Nardil for about 40 years. It has been truly a life-altering medication for me. Before Nardil, I had been prescribed the entire spectrum of antidepressants, and none were even nearly completely effective. Nardil plus an antipsychotic has brought me to 100% remission, and this has been maintained for many years. Yes, I do have very occasional depressed periods, but they are short in duration and they reverse rapidly. Additionally, as for me I have no dietary issues or interactions with other prescription drugs. I feel very lucky that I found Nardil and that it works so well for me without complications!”

Tink2001 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 30, 2020

“I was just informed this evening that Nardil would not be available from my pharmacy in Ontario, Canada and that it wouldn’t likely be available anywhere else. This was my “last resort” medication after trying every antidepressant ever made. I hope my nurse and psychiatrist can come up with an alternative. I hope I don’t have to wean off as my personal supply is about a week or two. I’m very concerned and scared as I have weaned off so many meds that didn’t work in the past with brutal withdrawal side effects.”

Millz · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2020

“Was on Parnate years ago for depression/PTSD, and finally decided to put a bullet in my anxiety this year by trying Nardil again. I've tried SSRIs and all those, and they're like flavorless candy - useless. Parnate worked great but always made me feel like I was "on something." Nardil does not. I quite simply feel like the best version of myself. I'll never forget the week this stuff finally took effect. Took about 2 months but I didn't even realize I was depressed this time around. Just wanted to treat anxiety but got the whole package by attacking depression, anxiety, and social anxiety. I briefly switched brands, (from Greenstone to Lupin), and it didn't work well for me. I went back into the dark hole and truly realized how much of a difference Nardil has made for me. It's absolutely wonderful. Any stronger and they should call this 'ecstasy' instead. I'll be taking this the rest of my life.”

Rick Pointar · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 17, 2016

“Severe anxiety and debilitating depression - a normal active happy person reduced to nothing but the dark in a bed for months. Prescribed every drug in the book in every combination - twice! All absolutely utterly totally useless. One day my doc said we are going to try an unusual dangerous drug - Nardil, because its your only hope. FANTASTIC UTTERLY INCREDIBLE. In two days I was living again and I was nearly better.”

SJ · Taken for 10 years or more July 30, 2020

“Hello, On 29 July 2020 I was called by a sympathetic and capable mental health pharmacist for the UK NHS. She said the NHS has been *officially told* that Nardil will be discontinued “in the near future”. The NHS must safely transfer all UK patients to other treatments in the months ahead. We both acknowledged that MAOIs are often a last-resort—I'd trialled some 6–8 medications before Nardil, over ten years. The clinician was obliged to ask which of those failed meds had shown the most positives for me, or fewest side-effects. After feeling steady on Nardil for 10 years, I don't recall which earlier meds were least worst(!). But it’s discouraging. I asked about Parnate, but it seems unavailable to UK prescribers. I don’t have the whole story. Do ask your doctor or pharmacist very soon. And remember it’s unwise to change medicines or cease Nardil abruptly. Thank you and best wishes!”

Sammy · Taken for 10 years or more April 12, 2020

“I have been on Nardil for over 30 years. After the birth of my second child I went through a severe postpartum depression. I had two doctors who tried to treat me with antidepressants and this failed miserably. I was fortunate enough to find a psychiatrist who prescribed Nardil. Within a month I was feeling better. I have continued to have a wonderful life on this medication. I now find myself with a prescription for Nardil but unable to locate any in Canada at pharmacies or on line. Please advise if you can help me find Nardil.”

Vexed · Taken for 10 years or more December 17, 2019

“I was put on Nardil in 1990 when I was suffering a phobia of nausea , anxiety attacks , and had gone from 14st down to 8st. I was actually in a psychiatric unit when they were prescribed .They saved my life and have been on them nearly 30 years. Fast forward to 2019, like many others on this forum I went into a different universe when the lack of supplies was announced. I am fortunate that somone over-rode my doctors refusal to get me unlicensed supplies , and I have just received these and they came from Canada.. With Doctors it is all down to COST - appalling........!!”

Terces · Taken for 10 years or more October 12, 2019

“Does anyone know how to get hold of Nardil on private prescription. I don't care about the cost. My mother is 79 and now has a week to come off 3 tablets a day. The NHS have let us down but GP's were alerted months ago and didn't do anything. I am looking at suing for negligence.”

LLG · Taken for 10 years or more March 10, 2014

“Diagnosed bipolar late 30's, lithium threw me into a clinical depression. Was not hospitalized as I tried tricyclic after tricyclic, with the awful side effects, weight gain and almost a zombie, sleeping all the time. Researching I discovered MAOI Inhibitors, was put on Nardil. Had only 15 min. medication checks every two weeks. At the first I asked, still depressed, "Will I ever be motivated again?", so weary was I of this horrid depression. At the second medication check, two weeks later, my depression had lifted! It kept me out of depression, functioning, and as close to 'normal', "whatever that is", for decades. It saved my life.”

Tuco · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 30, 2020

“In 1986 while separated from my wife, I gradually fell into a black hole marked by anxiety, obsessive self-accusing thoughts, and suicidal ideation. I went to a psychiatrist who prescribed Desyrel, which did nothing. I went to another psychiatrist. This one prescribed imiprimine. No good. Then we tried desiprimine among others. Nothing. Meanwhile I went to the library and did research on atypical depressions. There was no internet then. I asked for a script for Nardil. He was wary of prescribing it and prescribed something else. Again no good. The next time I almost begged to try it, and he agreed. About four or five days later the clouds lifted and the sun came out. I have never experienced a miracle, but Nardil comes close. The obsessive thoughts stopped. So did the guilt, the feelings of self-worthlessness, the suicidal ideation, and the anhedonia. All gone. Nardil probably saved my life. It was wonderful beyond description.”

uknardilsupplyissue · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 29, 2019

“To the person below, if you read this, and anyone else with issues of supply in the UK August-November. You can obtain imported Nardil through importers who have got supplies from Canada/US. You have to go through independent pharmacies as the chain pharmacies will not help as they are tied to a specific wholesaler. The specialist importers names are CLINIGEN and MAWSLEYS and WAYMADE - Good luck.”

Charlie April 4, 2021

“The reason Lupin Nardil works and greenstone doesn't is because the inactive ingredient polyvinyl alcohol wraps Nardil pill like a tide detergent pod pill. This is for a better absorption. Greenstone doesn't have this. Trust me, Pfizer created a formula Nardil failure on Nardil! Hard to believe but it is true.”

Jillr · Taken for 10 years or more November 6, 2019

“I have been on Phenelzine (Nardil) for over thirty years. They have saved my life. On Oct 11th I went to collect my prescription as normal. I was told there were no supplies. At this point I had enough for a further 4 days but knew I couldn’t just stop them. The next few days were spent in a state of absolute panic, especially when I discovered that a directive had gone out in July to all NHS trusts in the UK, warning them of the forthcoming shortages. When I queried this with the GP and asked why I’d never been warned he turned quite nasty and couldn’t answer. I had about 100 people (family, friends and Facebook) searching for Phenelzine for the next few days. Despite asking the GP to obtain unlicensed imports (as recommended by SPS to NHS) he categorically refused. Eventually, my husband found a chemist who could get unlicensed imports and that’s how we eventually obtained them. I’m disgusted with my GP surgery for not giving me any warning.”

beejholy July 7, 2013

“I was diagnosed with bipolar/severe mania and depression since I was 26, I have see every psychiatrist in my area, and have been put on every antidepressant from Paxil to Effexor. The only one that ever worked is Nardil. I am 33 years old now and would recommend this monoamine oxidase inhibitor to everyone who needs to be on an antidepressant. I was fortunate to find a very intelligent doctor who worked with me through these years. He told me not too many doctors prescribe Nardil for the food restrictions or whatever, but I personally believe the "old school" MAOI's are the way to go. Nardil gets a 10 in my book. I felt the ahhh, effects after one week.”

Mattie · Taken for 10 years or more August 30, 2019

“I've been on Nardil over 30 years and it is a total life-saver. Have tried to come off it twice - not through my own choice. Once when I wanted to become pregnant and was told Nardil wasn't safe. Rubbish! Attempting to come off sent me into severe clinical depression and hospitalisation. Went back on Nardil; became pregnant, had my son, who is now 16. When I tried to get my Nardil from GP yesterday, was told that there are no stocks in UK and won't be for at least 2 months. How can this situation have arisen? This turned me virtually suicidal in an instant. Have managed to get Nardil from Canada on private prescription (no thanks to NHS, who have known about the shortage since April but refuse to do anything about it, unlike Australian medical service). Expensive, but I would pay anything to get it. Pharmacists know how to get it like this. I'm now panicking at the thought of Nardil being discontinued - that would be so hard on me.”

Dr Disc October 15, 2011

“Nardil saved my life. I have used 60mgs a day for 30 years. I have no plans to withdraw. Several attempts to reduce the medicine and eliminate it. Met with very difficult psychological and physiological disturbances. I am now 73 and am committed to Nardil for the rest of my life if they keep making it. ”

Felindown · Taken for 10 years or more May 19, 2020

“I began taking Nardil—Phenelzine Sulfate—in 1996. My Dr tried prescribing several other medications before using Nardil. The side effects of nardil are not good, but at least I am alive and functioning. The worst aspect of the med? You never know when the manufacturer is going to get behind making it. Once it was due to a worker strike.”

KimD April 29, 2020

“I have been on Nardil for thirty years due to a bad period in my marriage that brought on my panic disorder again and depression. I started on three, fifteen mg tablets per day and reduced this dose to two 15mg tablets over the course of one year over ten years ago. During the Covid 19 crisis, I have found it increasingly difficult to obtain Nardil and, when left with sixteen tablets and the possibility of not obtaining more, I reduced the dose from two tablets per day to one over the course of two weeks. At first I suffered only sleeplessness but then itching all over and tiredness began throughout the day. I have managed to obtain more Nardil but at greater cost and these come from overseas . Mentally I feel fine but physically awful. A general practitioner I saw once told me that Nardil my have taken over my Serotonin production. Can anyone tell me if my Serotonin will bounce back to normal or am I destined to be on this pill forever?”

Andy12 September 3, 2015

“This medication is brilliant. Completely got rid of my depression and social phobia. I take 75mg/day. The SSRI's didn't really work. Was laying on the bed all day thinking of suicide and death. After I started Nardil my life completely changed. Thank goodness for the medication.”