User Reviews for Nardil to treat Depression

Nardil Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Nardil

Druggist · Taken for 10 years or more June 14, 2020

“I have been using Nardil for about 40 years. It has been truly a life-altering medication for me. Before Nardil, I had been prescribed the entire spectrum of antidepressants, and none were even nearly completely effective. Nardil plus an antipsychotic has brought me to 100% remission, and this has been maintained for many years. Yes, I do have very occasional depressed periods, but they are short in duration and they reverse rapidly. Additionally, as for me I have no dietary issues or interactions with other prescription drugs. I feel very lucky that I found Nardil and that it works so well for me without complications!”

Felindown · Taken for 10 years or more May 19, 2020

“I began taking Nardil—Phenelzine Sulfate—in 1996. My Dr tried prescribing several other medications before using Nardil. The side effects of nardil are not good, but at least I am alive and functioning. The worst aspect of the med? You never know when the manufacturer is going to get behind making it. Once it was due to a worker strike.”

Angel · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 1, 2020

“Nardil changed my life. I have tried almost every SSRI, SNRI, the atypicals and buspirone, etc for social anxiety disorder. They don't come close to Nardil. I have atypical depression, social anxiety, GAD, and ADD. The side effects are low blood pressure and insomnia. Easily treated with meds. I have tried everything on the banned food list and never had any slight increase whatsoever in BP. I am convinced the tyramine thing is just an old myth. When I first tried Nardil it was like a light came on after living my whole life in the dark. I will be on this med for the rest of my life as long as they keep making it.”

KimD April 29, 2020

“I have been on Nardil for thirty years due to a bad period in my marriage that brought on my panic disorder again and depression. I started on three, fifteen mg tablets per day and reduced this dose to two 15mg tablets over the course of one year over ten years ago. During the Covid 19 crisis, I have found it increasingly difficult to obtain Nardil and, when left with sixteen tablets and the possibility of not obtaining more, I reduced the dose from two tablets per day to one over the course of two weeks. At first I suffered only sleeplessness but then itching all over and tiredness began throughout the day. I have managed to obtain more Nardil but at greater cost and these come from overseas . Mentally I feel fine but physically awful. A general practitioner I saw once told me that Nardil my have taken over my Serotonin production. Can anyone tell me if my Serotonin will bounce back to normal or am I destined to be on this pill forever?”

Adrian · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 28, 2020

“My 22 year old son tried over a dozen antidepressants without getting relief from debilitating depression with suicidal thoughts. He also tried TMS and Ketamine infusions with no relief. He had almost immediate relief from his symptoms from Nardil 30 mg twice a day. He also takes Seroquel at night to aid sleeping and relieve anxiety. This medication saved my son’s life. We have not had trouble getting it here (Wisconsin), thus far. I don’t know what we would do if it was not available.”

Sammy · Taken for 10 years or more April 12, 2020

“I have been on Nardil for over 30 years. After the birth of my second child I went through a severe postpartum depression. I had two doctors who tried to treat me with antidepressants and this failed miserably. I was fortunate enough to find a psychiatrist who prescribed Nardil. Within a month I was feeling better. I have continued to have a wonderful life on this medication. I now find myself with a prescription for Nardil but unable to locate any in Canada at pharmacies or on line. Please advise if you can help me find Nardil.”

Lynny · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 1, 2020

“Nardil has kept me out of hospital for 5 years but now I cannot get hold of it in UK despite pleading with my Psychiatrist. Feeling so bad I'm going back on a section.”

Tuco · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 30, 2020

“In 1986 while separated from my wife, I gradually fell into a black hole marked by anxiety, obsessive self-accusing thoughts, and suicidal ideation. I went to a psychiatrist who prescribed Desyrel, which did nothing. I went to another psychiatrist. This one prescribed imiprimine. No good. Then we tried desiprimine among others. Nothing. Meanwhile I went to the library and did research on atypical depressions. There was no internet then. I asked for a script for Nardil. He was wary of prescribing it and prescribed something else. Again no good. The next time I almost begged to try it, and he agreed. About four or five days later the clouds lifted and the sun came out. I have never experienced a miracle, but Nardil comes close. The obsessive thoughts stopped. So did the guilt, the feelings of self-worthlessness, the suicidal ideation, and the anhedonia. All gone. Nardil probably saved my life. It was wonderful beyond description.”

Quickly March 23, 2020

“Nardil helped me stop drinking which also helped my suicidal depression. I'm now 12 years into using it and it has become less effective fighting depression lately, the last year. Thinking about weaning off 60mg per day and start drinking again. That was at least a good buzz and I will fight feelings of depression on my own.”

Scheinberg March 18, 2020

“Re Nardil manufacturer Kyowa Kirin emailed me today to confirm there is no guarantee the drug will become available Please note to all NHS patients : DO NOT be fobbed off by your GP saying he cannot get involved with funding the difference between the cost of Nardil and phelezine sulphate import as a special My GP did this to me ! So this is what I did “ I called my CCG Press office and put the fear of god in the staff ! I emailed a strong urgent letter to be forwarded to head of complaints stating that this matter can not wait 28 days for a formal response I explained that my nhs GP issued a script for Nardil and when I took script to pharmacy I was told “ we are running a business not a bank !” They asked me to pay £99 plus postage 60 tablets”

Motherbaggins · Taken for 10 years or more March 2, 2020

“I am in the same position as the other people posting reviews in that I am worried to death about the shortage of Nardil both in the Uk and Canada. I would just like to mention to the people who have posted on here that there is a support forum on this site for Nardil/Phenelzine where it’s possible to chat to each other about our concerns maybe have a look and see what you think Motherbaggins”

Tink2001 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 30, 2020

“I was just informed this evening that Nardil would not be available from my pharmacy in Ontario, Canada and that it wouldn’t likely be available anywhere else. This was my “last resort” medication after trying every antidepressant ever made. I hope my nurse and psychiatrist can come up with an alternative. I hope I don’t have to wean off as my personal supply is about a week or two. I’m very concerned and scared as I have weaned off so many meds that didn’t work in the past with brutal withdrawal side effects.”

jo · Taken for 10 years or more January 11, 2020

“I've been on Nardil since 2001 and has worked for me until 10 years ago with up and downs with severe side effects. I went down to 60 and went into depression. after a year I increased it and feeling better but alive. My fear is that it will not being available anymore. Sure can use some words of support. Thanks.”

Connie · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 10, 2020

“On nardil 7 years, went to get my refill they said it was on backorder. I had no choice but to go without, it's been over a week and I'm having terrible withdrawals. Feel nauseated, headache, zapping in my head and tired. I'm so disappointed in my pharmacy, they knew I was out and didn't offer any help or advice. Now I am suffering and my mood is dropping more and more.”

Ralf · Taken for 10 years or more December 20, 2019

“I recently had a stomach virus for 12 hours of nausea and diarrhea. I didn't take my normal dosage of Nardil for a day. Started back on the regular dose. It has been 4 days since starting back on. I have been experiencing nightmares every night, the same dream which seems to continue from the previous night. Feelings of fatigue, irritability, and stomach upset continue.”

Vexed · Taken for 10 years or more December 17, 2019

“I was put on Nardil in 1990 when I was suffering a phobia of nausea , anxiety attacks , and had gone from 14st down to 8st. I was actually in a psychiatric unit when they were prescribed .They saved my life and have been on them nearly 30 years. Fast forward to 2019, like many others on this forum I went into a different universe when the lack of supplies was announced. I am fortunate that somone over-rode my doctors refusal to get me unlicensed supplies , and I have just received these and they came from Canada.. With Doctors it is all down to COST - appalling........!!”

Lou · Taken for 10 years or more November 28, 2019

“Like others on this forum had to go “cold turkey “ with literally 5 tablets left when I was told they were unavailable. GP told to cut remaining tablets in half. Went from 45mg a day to 7mg a day. For the last 4 weeks been on no tablets. I am sleeping very well. My mood is ok. Finding it hard sometimes to motivate myself to do stuff at home but still working. The worst thing is the nausea! My real concern that my mood has not dropped significantly. Does this mean that having taken this drug for 17 years that the chemicals are still in my body long after the recommended “washout” period. Haven’t eaten any banned foods. Bit scared to try. Would really appreciate any advice from anyone who has come off Nardil after years of taking it. Or any pharmacists who can help.”

Veronica cohen · Taken for 10 years or more November 21, 2019

“Nardil has helped me amazingly for over 40 years. When I was told it was no longer available in early October my GP told me I must have a 15 day gap before being prescribed another group - unhelpful being an understatement! However, I asked her to refer me to a psychiatrist ASAP, & got a private appointment within three days, Nardil IS available, I was sent a 3 month supply by courier, the problem is that neither the NHS or BUPA will pay, fortunately I’m able to. IMO this was not handled well, & I was not going to go through a Wash-Out suffer symptoms etc when it wasn't necessary. If anybody’s told by their care team that this Nardil is unavailable it’s not true. Please don’t be fobbed of by your GP’s surgery, YOU are the patient/Client ”

Jillr · Taken for 10 years or more November 6, 2019

“I have been on Phenelzine (Nardil) for over thirty years. They have saved my life. On Oct 11th I went to collect my prescription as normal. I was told there were no supplies. At this point I had enough for a further 4 days but knew I couldn’t just stop them. The next few days were spent in a state of absolute panic, especially when I discovered that a directive had gone out in July to all NHS trusts in the UK, warning them of the forthcoming shortages. When I queried this with the GP and asked why I’d never been warned he turned quite nasty and couldn’t answer. I had about 100 people (family, friends and Facebook) searching for Phenelzine for the next few days. Despite asking the GP to obtain unlicensed imports (as recommended by SPS to NHS) he categorically refused. Eventually, my husband found a chemist who could get unlicensed imports and that’s how we eventually obtained them. I’m disgusted with my GP surgery for not giving me any warning.”

Linmeme · Taken for 10 years or more November 5, 2019

“Been back on Nardil 6 weeks got from Wells Pharmacy. Still anxious tho , these tablets not as dark wonder if ingredients are slightly different. Been put on 80mg bedranol to ease palpitations which they have.”

Gigi · Taken for 10 years or more November 3, 2019

“After hospitalization for depression and 14 months on just about everything without success, my doctor suggested we try Nardil. I’ve lived on it very well for 22 years. I recently tried a newer antidepressant on the market named Trintellix. I had awful side effects and lost 14 of my 132 lbs within an 8 week period. I couldn’t even get to the 20mg therapeutic dose due to side effects. Started to decrease dose to go back on Nardil, which required taking nothing for 2 weeks. I got suicidal and ended up in the hospital. Started Nardil 5 days ago and am already feeling better. Not where I was before I got off, but hopeful I’ll soon get my life back. I just hope it restores my appetite! I’d prefer to be on a “safer” drug but considering I lived a decent life for 22 years on Nardil vs 2 1/2 months of hell while off, I’m glad to be back on. If you’ve tried other antidepressants without success, I recommend you give it a try”

Terces · Taken for 10 years or more October 12, 2019

“Does anyone know how to get hold of Nardil on private prescription. I don't care about the cost. My mother is 79 and now has a week to come off 3 tablets a day. The NHS have let us down but GP's were alerted months ago and didn't do anything. I am looking at suing for negligence.”

whizbang · Taken for 10 years or more October 9, 2019

“Nardil is the O N L Y antidepressant that has worked. Must be acutely aware of food and Over the Counter drug interactions as well ant potential dental or general surgery.”

Linmeme · Taken for 10 years or more October 1, 2019

“Suffered agoraphobia anxiety and depression but Nardil has been my life saver and I’ve done things I’d never thought I could, flying abroad etc. I had to stop almost cold turkey as couldn’t get tabs been awful!! Depressed, nausea feeling sweats heart racing. After a month managed to get tablets from pharmacy that delivers to door, 1 week on 15mg now 2nd day on 30mg NEVER take more than that. Still suffering bouts of tears, tiredness and loss of appetite. Lost 10lb since stopping. GOT TO THINK POSITIVE AS I KNOW THEY WORK!!!”

Mattie · Taken for 10 years or more August 30, 2019

“I've been on Nardil over 30 years and it is a total life-saver. Have tried to come off it twice - not through my own choice. Once when I wanted to become pregnant and was told Nardil wasn't safe. Rubbish! Attempting to come off sent me into severe clinical depression and hospitalisation. Went back on Nardil; became pregnant, had my son, who is now 16. When I tried to get my Nardil from GP yesterday, was told that there are no stocks in UK and won't be for at least 2 months. How can this situation have arisen? This turned me virtually suicidal in an instant. Have managed to get Nardil from Canada on private prescription (no thanks to NHS, who have known about the shortage since April but refuse to do anything about it, unlike Australian medical service). Expensive, but I would pay anything to get it. Pharmacists know how to get it like this. I'm now panicking at the thought of Nardil being discontinued - that would be so hard on me.”