User Reviews for Opana

Learn more about Opana.

Opana Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1847 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Opana to treat Pain

"I started opana about 5 months ago, the withdrawls make you feel like you have the stomach bug and flu at the same time. Night sweats every bone feels broken, stomach cramping, strange negitive thoughts that arent real. This medication didnt help at all with my disc heritage, gout, broken foot, sore tooth..first night i wondered if i would make it thru the night. I was on 40mg twice a day 12 hour ER. I wouldnt suggest this medication to anyone. Its hard to require medication assistance just to move, but its even.worse being on a medicaton that didnt help and caused the worst withdrawls of my life. It took 9 days to feel better! Good luck"

Luci0200 July 7, 2016

"I was switched to Opana from OxyContin because even 150 mg of Oxy a day wasn't managing my pain anymore. Opana was said to work just as effectively at lower doses, with fewer of the miserable side effects of Oxy (constipation, drowsiness, etc.). I have found that to be the case in general; my daily dosage is more like 50-80 mg per day on this med and I can go to the bathroom again without using a suppository first. My pain control started out slightly better on this med, but since I'm a fast metabolizer of opiates, I've started developing a tolerance to this one, too, and the pain is bothering me again to the point where I can't function. My major complaints about this med is that it is very hard to find, and it is costly."

EDS + fast metabolizer = :-( (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2016

"3 back surgeries, 35 days since latest fusion in lower back. Been on pain meds for years, mainly Percocet 10mg which seemed to be the only thing that helped. Even when given stronger meds. I guess my body is so used to them now they stopped really working unless I took 2 at a time. My surgeon suggested opana for me this past week, it's been only 4 days but it doesn't seem to work AT ALL. It does nothing for the pain. I have the 10mg IR. I'm a very active 45 year old who loves to fly fish, camping, hiking. Basketball, softball, long hikes with my dogs but I can't do anything anymore. The latest surgery they had to go through my stomach and I just want some relief so I can start being active again... Miserable.."

Bearmaxie (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2016

"Changed my life! I was on norco for 10+ yrs and it stopped working. I started the generic Opana and it makes my pain tolerable. I'm not sure but I am retaining a lot of fluid. This is the only thing I am concerned about."

MBROWN3224 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

"I've been on oxymorphone for 10 years. My dr. Just put me on Opana 40mg instead, it's been 3 days and I'm going through withdrawals. I have gastropathy which slows down your digestive system. Seems my pain dr. Doesn't care. I had the test a couple years ago that checks to see if your on the right medications. It showed that the oxymophone and roxicodone was being processed and was the right medication for me. A couple of months ago they wanted to put me on morphine patch. And I said no I think that he is being paid to write opana scripts all of a sudden. Which to me is BS! I hate the gel opana doesn't digest properly. My insurance prefer generic cause it's cheaper I prefer cause it took care of my pain, whereas Opana doesn't"

Zbadazz February 19, 2016

"Opana 20mg doesn't take away all the neck & back pain but does about 90% so I can function. However also for first time in my life gives me headaches, hot flashes, warm blooded 4-5 of 7 days a wk & slightly edgey/difficulty with stress/adversity sometimes too."

Prodical2 (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

"I have been on Opana Er 15mgs for 3yrs now. Was diagnosed with a herniated disc with an annular fissure at L3,4 and 5. Also have degenerative disc disorder, spinal stenosis, plus more back problems and diagnosed with fibromyalgia. All I can say is the Opana ER crush resistant are junk. I was prescribed Oxymorphone Hydrochloride ER 15mg a green pill, the pill form was a miracle for me I could get up and go to work 12-16hrs and they last with hardly taking a Percocet for breakthrough pain had my life back with the generic. The name brand Opana ER are junk. I always have an empty stomach when I take and not even an hr later my stomach is upset and always have diarrhea."

Alex39 January 14, 2016

"I just got out of the hospital and I'm in excruciating pain. The surgeon took out my hip implants and broke my femur . I have antibiotic spacers and balls put in. I was on a baseline of fentanyl plus 100 mcg every 6 minutes via PCA on top of a 250 mcg patch and 45 mg oxycodone every 3 hours and 40 mgs of Oxycontin every 8 hours. Also, Ketamine spray every 2 hours. I was released with in adequate medication and my PM doc put me on 30 mg of Opana every 3 hours."

jenninext October 14, 2015

"I have had negative experiences with opana ER 30 mg / and 10 mg IR . I have had mostly all of the side effects & my doctor won't listen to me"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2015

"Been taking Opana for 15 months now and couldn't be happier. Diagnosed with DDD in my L-4, L-5, S-1. scoliosis, and fibromyalgia 3 years ago. My PM doctor put me on MS Contin 60 mg 2xs a day which I had an allergic reaction to%u2026 My feet and legs swelled up. He then put me on a fentanyl patch 75mcg, which my body did not tolerate, I ended up getting pains down my neck and severe nausea. A guy ran a red light and T-boned my side of the car. In the hospital they gave me dilauded for pain, which completely took my pain away. My doctor decided at that point to put me on EXALGO 12.5mg 1x a day. Worked better than anything! Insurance stopped covering it, GAHH. Put me on Opana ER 20 2x a day and IR 3x a day. Amazing! No side effects!!!"

Lorioreo August 7, 2015

"I am a chronic pain patient and have tried dozens of medications for my pain. Opana works wonders through an IV when I'm in excruciating pain, but the oral pills just don't help as much. My pain doctor switched me from Oxycodone 4 times a day to Opana 3 times a day and it didn't touch my pain. I did some research and it only absorbs 10% orally. It's good as an IV or injection medication but not as much as an oral pill"

Anderson94 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2015

"Very effective as I can't use NSAIDS and am allergic to many other drugs."

Jane Nita April 27, 2015

"Male, mid 30's, 2 herniated lumbar discs, 3 pinched nerves, bone spur, stenosis.. I have been on pain meds for the last 10 years, and Opana is by far the most effective paid med I've ever tried and believe me I've been on everything.. Most recently I was on OxyContin 20mg 1x a day and Oxycodone IR 20mg 5x a day.. The problem with Oxycodone is that it has a very low half life of 3-4 hours and is very addictive because of the short duration of action you find yourself "chasing the pain".. I suggested Opana to my PM doctor as I heard good things about it, best pain relief I've had in years! I take Opana ER 40mg 2x a day and Opana IR 10mg 2x a day PRN for breakthrough pain.. This med is a wonder drug for those in 24/7 chronic pain!"

Alfredozoo (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2015

"I have degenerative disc disease and Opana is the best pain medication that I have ever used and I have tried them all and I take 2 20mgs a day 1 every 12 hours and it usually takes about 20 to 30 minutes to take effect but it works !!!"

jimmydog January 31, 2015

"It's great"

buttface (taken for 10 years or more) January 2, 2015

"Within 20 minutes after I took the first pill, the pain began to subside, and was completely gone within 30 minutes."

white lightning August 15, 2014

"I have been on Opana IR for 4 months now. I have severe migraines due to a cyst on my brain along with 2 bulging discs in my neck. It works ok but I also have stadol nose spray if the Opana doesn't help. I'm on 5mg 2x a day. I honestly need stronger but since it's migraines he won't up it. I would recommend it for small pain."

Nobody cares. July 1, 2014

"Too strong for me. If taking Opana 30's for the first time, I suggest starting off with smaller doses then increase gradually. Took one the other night, nausea set in and I vomited. Great loss in appetite, like on Adderall minor drowsiness."

ross13 June 10, 2014

"Rotated me off oxy and onto this for six months. Works ok."

Jerry Garcia Band (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2014

"I have been on MS-Contin for 15 years. In that time, only one dose increase! I take 2x60 mg daily. Every 2-3 months, my doc changes medicine. I used to be able to get Opana, 40 mg 2x per day, and it worked great! Even better was Efalgo, 16 mg 3 x per day. 2 in the morning, one at night. Now, insurance will not pay for either. The only medicine I can tolerate is Opana, 80 2x per day, and they really don't work well. It is so frustrating that the medicine that is the hardest to tamper with, Efalgo, is the hardest to get and most expensive! If I don't switch every few months, I build up a tolerance. I suffer from degenerative disc disease in my lower back, arthritis etc."

smacken (taken for 10 years or more) August 31, 2013

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have Fibromyalgia and OsteoArthritis my Dr. recommended Opana and it has been a God send."

Tii May 19, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My experience with Opana was great. It really gave me back at least 95%. After 3 Failed back surgeries on my disc low back along with both knees which my knee surgeries were helpful. I also broke my back at same time along with my neck injury which I was diagnosed with a extreme strain of my neck. Which my doctor gave me a 50% chance of success so I decided not to have and live with the pain. Although when Purdue pharmaceuticals decided to completely change the formula when making the 40mg Opana my life changed for the worst. I haven't been the same since. Believe me because I have tried every medicine on the market since 1993. "

cc ryder April 21, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Crushed and bulged discs in cervical region, but I refuse to have spinal fusion due to mixed results and incredibly invasive surgery. Was on 3-30 mg Oxycontins with 4 x 10 mgs oxycodone. I can't take anything with NSAID's in it because I had Hepatitis C, which is gone after 11 months of interferon and another medicine. The oxy combo was working fine until suddenly it became impossible to get the scripts filled. Pain management doctor switched me to 2-30mg ER's a day and three Opana 10 mg IR's a day and I have no side effects, works great."

deeseelangovich (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 5, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Been taking Opana for about 4 years now. It's the best medicine I have ever taken. I folded up my neck in an ATV accident. Have a failed 4 level fusion with steel plate and 4 bolts 1/4", 3 discs removed. Also have 5 deteriorated disc, and two more spinal surgeries since first one. I have had to increase my dose to a 40mg every 12 hours or so, and up to 6 IR 10mg each day. Since the pink 10 IRs have been off the market, the white generic 10 IRs are not the same. Take this on an empty stomach for best results. And to the one patient in a previous comment who was trying to get his nerve up to ask the doc to reduce his dosage, I would say it was really in his own hands. Reduce it yourself if you really think you don't need it."

Your Details January 13, 2013

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have cervical stenosis, bulging discs, and neuro issues resulting from them, I have been on Fentanyl patches, Oxycodone, and huge doses of Morphone ER wtih IR for break through. I thought my pain would never end and it was not only debilitating, but depressing to the point of, although not suicide, definitely not wanting to get up in the morning and wishing I could just die. When I moved and got a new Pain Management doctor, he questioned many of my old doc's decisions, but above all he changed me onto Opana 30mg ER twice daily with 30mg IR Morphine for breakthrough 3x day. I feel more alive than I have felt in at least seven years. I am awake, I am alert, and I am functional, which is more than I had come to expect. Zero side effects"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2012

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next