User Reviews for Oxymorphone

Also known as: Numorphan, Numorphan HCl, Opana, Opana ER

Learn more about Oxymorphone.

Pain 190 reviews 1105 medications

8.1
Summary of Oxymorphone reviews 190 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Oxymorphone

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I'm going to be very much to the point I had a physician that retired I began seeing a new physician after searching for a physician I was comfortable with I was continued being prescribed oxycodone ER 2-30mg tab 3x a day with 4mg hydromorphone with each dose The Physician referred me to pain management pain management change meds two 100 mg oxycodone ER that is one 40 mg & one 60 mg. & 80mg oxycodone 2x day & 8mg hydromorphone every 8 hrs with each dose. Then pain management switch me to oxymorphone 40mg every 12 hours & 8mg hydromorphone with each dose. Why is this is not working why? Should I go back on 100mg sulfate morphine tablet ER and 8mg hydromorphone 3x a day. Oxymorphone is new to me all the other meds I've been on over 10 years"

NICEGUYNYC (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "my bottom spinal disks are crooked and rest on my nerves between them. I was on 60mg of Morphine Sulfate Er. and took it for years and asked my Dr. for an increase and he switched me to Opana 20mg Er pills and they helped my back pain and seem to last a little longer between dosage. I am prescribed it twice a day. I seem to have less tiredness than the morphine and I am prescribed 5mg of oxycodone for morning breakthrough pain. Due to my liver condition he won't increase the oxycodone because it makes the liver turn it into morphine to filter it. when I need an increase of the Opana I'm sure he'll give me that because it's a form of morphine and my liver can process it okay. So I hope this helps other people with my condition or similar."

i have lower lumbar pain (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain: "I started on Opioids in 1998 due to sciatica. I was prescribed 3 Hydrocodone 5/325's per day back then and it was partially effective. It was used in conjunction with Spinal injections of several different drugs with varying degrees of effectiveness. The injections continued every three months for several years. The pain increased over time as did the meds. I went from 3 5's per day to 4 10's per day and then to Methadone only. I was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis. I had Spinal Fusion S1-L5-L4 in 2009 and all the pain gone! All Gone! I weened myself off of Methadone until I finally went cold turkey. I went through the withdrawal from hell. I will always remember that final night... The stomach cramps and muscle cramps and spasms everywhere."

Boomer No character limit January 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I suffer from chronic neck/upper back pain due to spinal stenosis; spinal spondylosis; cervical neuralgia, etc. I've had multiple anterior and posterior fusions (c5-c/7) and revisions due to pseudoarthrosis (non-fusion). I've been on opioids for 7 years. Due to insurance coverage, my pain doc switched me from kadian (10mg 2x/day) to Opana ER (5mg 2x/day) and I immediately experienced a HUGE increase in pain. I also take Percocet (10/325) for breakthrough pain. I experienced minor withdrawal symptoms, which I thought was odd since I was actually taking slightly more morphine daily. My pain doc explained it was due to how the body metabolizes kadian. Opana did nothing for me."

sas1217 January 11, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain: "Opana doesn't work switch oxy morphine generic, when they changed Opana they ruined it."

jabrake (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 18, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and have been on 3 or 4 pain relievers since 2008. I am now on 10mg IR x 3 daily and 30mg ER x 3 daily. I am getting very little relief; however, I have read many reviews where people taking Opana praise the medication. On the pain scale level, I am generally at 7-8 w/o the medicine and 5 or 6 with the Opana. I guess I need to talk to my provider and see if there are some different options..."

odawg444 December 1, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain: "My doctor prescribed Oxymorphone after oxycodone became ineffective for chronic daily headache relief. So far it has been 100% effective. I wake every day with a severe headache. I always have an oxymorphone tablet and glass of water beside by bed, which I take immediately. I am usually pain free after 1/2 to 1 hour. If I still (rarely) have a h/a after 1 hour, I take 1more tablet, which ALWAYS completely relieves the pain for the rest of the day. Some medical professionals say that I am suffering from "rebound) headaches. I don't think it matters if my daily pain is caused by opiate use or a second rate body. I just know that after 30 years of various treatments, the ONLY thing that gives me constant and constant relief is Oxymorphone."

Tom525 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 17, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain: "Serious auto wreck crushed 2 discs in cervical area. Only options are surgical or meds. Out of 5 people who had surgery, 1 completely cured surgically. 3 said condition unchanged after long R&R.Last one was in wheelchair due to small surgical error. That made up my mind. As long as meds control pain enough to live normal life(pretty much), I refuse to risk surgical procedure. Started with 3 30mg Oxycontin a day, did fairly well, but in line at pharmacy one day, said the word oxycontin too loudly, noticed three heads turned. I was afraid of being mugged on the way out. My doc suggested 30 mg Opana @2 a day, but had to increase to 40 mg@ 2Xdaily. With 4 10 mg IR for b/t pain, it is as good as it can be. I also take 3 mg xanax daily"

auto wreck crushed 2 discs (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 14, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "10 years pain sufferer. Opana ER was my Godsent.40mg,night and evening and only using percocet for breakthrough. Very rarely. I have a life back. I tried every medicine out there and never had this relief. Mind you been taking so long, no high effect, just pain control. Those looking for quick high, not for you. Time released. Sad to have to say that but great med when used for right reason"

Kasey Tyty August 11, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I started opana about 5 months ago, the withdrawls make you feel like you have the stomach bug and flu at the same time. Night sweats every bone feels broken, stomach cramping, strange negitive thoughts that arent real. This medication didnt help at all with my disc heritage, gout, broken foot, sore tooth..first night i wondered if i would make it thru the night. I was on 40mg twice a day 12 hour ER. I wouldnt suggest this medication to anyone. Its hard to require medication assistance just to move, but its even.worse being on a medicaton that didnt help and caused the worst withdrawls of my life. It took 9 days to feel better! Good luck"

Luci0200 July 7, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I was switched to Opana from OxyContin because even 150 mg of Oxy a day wasn't managing my pain anymore. Opana was said to work just as effectively at lower doses, with fewer of the miserable side effects of Oxy (constipation, drowsiness, etc.). I have found that to be the case in general; my daily dosage is more like 50-80 mg per day on this med and I can go to the bathroom again without using a suppository first. My pain control started out slightly better on this med, but since I'm a fast metabolizer of opiates, I've started developing a tolerance to this one, too, and the pain is bothering me again to the point where I can't function. My major complaints about this med is that it is very hard to find, and it is costly."

EDS + fast metabolizer = :-( (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "3 back surgeries, 35 days since latest fusion in lower back. Been on pain meds for years, mainly Percocet 10mg which seemed to be the only thing that helped. Even when given stronger meds. I guess my body is so used to them now they stopped really working unless I took 2 at a time. My surgeon suggested opana for me this past week, it's been only 4 days but it doesn't seem to work AT ALL. It does nothing for the pain. I have the 10mg IR. I'm a very active 45 year old who loves to fly fish, camping, hiking. Basketball, softball, long hikes with my dogs but I can't do anything anymore. The latest surgery they had to go through my stomach and I just want some relief so I can start being active again... Miserable.."

Bearmaxie (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "Insurance required me to use Opana ER crush-resistant version! Takes about 2 hrs. to take effect so I take hydrocodone/acetaminophen 10/325 with 1 Opana upon waking and together they last about 8 hours NEVER 12 hours! then take 1 hydrocodone/acetaminophen about 4 pm then another hydrocodone/acetaminophen about 9 pm then 1 Opana at 11 pm. I tried using Opana alone but couldn't stand waiting IN PAIN for 2 hours before I could feel any relief! Regular Oxycontin DID provide 12 hour relief without needing any vicodin for "breakthrough pain" but even with insurance it would cost $100/month. Pain level with Opana AND vicodin still at about 5 but chronic pain after FIVE hip replacement surgeries - 2 on left hip, 3 on right, since 2008!!"

karenhp May 2, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain: "In addition to Complex Regional Pain Syndrome I suffer from constant pain in my hip, femur and knee, L-4,5 disk herniations, spinal stenosis, spondylosis to start. I was thrown from a car as a passenger without seatbealts fracturing my hip, femur and my right foot pointed South. My experience taking Oxymorphone is an excellent one. I recommend it to anyone seriously looking for pain relief. I take 30 mg Oxymorphone ER X 2, Ketamine Hcl(compounded for $125 a month) 10 mg X 3 and Oxycodone 30 mg X 4 for Bt pain. Oxymorphone is the best ER opioid for 9-10 hour relief I have taken. Tried them all. If looking for pain relief, Oxymorphone is the best by a mile, hydromorphone is a distant second."

stockrunner (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 29, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "After being on 80 mg of OxyContin 3 times a day I wasn't getting the pain relief. I went thru breakthroughs and my insurance would only cover generic oxy. Saw a new pain doc and the nurse practitioner switched me to Opana, only 30 mg twice a day. My breakthrough meds stay locked up unless I'm doing something special. I always take Opana with food (instructions say take on an empty stomach) as I found taking taking it with food makes it last longer. Due to insurance I had to switch tot 15 mg, 2 tabs, twice a day. I found this give me some flexibility. If I'm having a tough day I may take one around 5 pm and then only one at bedtime. Medicare sucks though. I hit the gap about 6 months ago and found out I have to pay 4,800+ til it's done."

Huskylover (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "neuropathy"

bzzzaaabbb (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 16, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "Changed my life! I was on norco for 10+ yrs and it stopped working. I started the generic Opana and it makes my pain tolerable. I'm not sure but I am retaining a lot of fluid. This is the only thing I am concerned about."

MBROWN3224 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I've been on oxymorphone for 10 years. My dr. Just put me on Opana 40mg instead, it's been 3 days and I'm going through withdrawals. I have gastropathy which slows down your digestive system. Seems my pain dr. Doesn't care. I had the test a couple years ago that checks to see if your on the right medications. It showed that the oxymophone and roxicodone was being processed and was the right medication for me. A couple of months ago they wanted to put me on morphine patch. And I said no I think that he is being paid to write opana scripts all of a sudden. Which to me is BS! I hate the gel opana doesn't digest properly. My insurance prefer generic cause it's cheaper I prefer cause it took care of my pain, whereas Opana doesn't"

Zbadazz February 19, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "This prescription is extremely expensive, with my insurance its $291.00, my Doc gave me a discount card and the pharmacist still said the cost would be $291.00. What's the purpose of the discount card. Can anyone help me with any information on how I can reduce the cost of this prescription ?"

Stread313 (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "Opana 20mg doesn't take away all the neck & back pain but does about 90% so I can function. However also for first time in my life gives me headaches, hot flashes, warm blooded 4-5 of 7 days a wk & slightly edgey/difficulty with stress/adversity sometimes too."

Prodical2 (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I have been on Opana Er 15mgs for 3yrs now. Was diagnosed with a herniated disc with an annular fissure at L3,4 and 5. Also have degenerative disc disorder, spinal stenosis, plus more back problems and diagnosed with fibromyalgia. All I can say is the Opana ER crush resistant are junk. I was prescribed Oxymorphone Hydrochloride ER 15mg a green pill, the pill form was a miracle for me I could get up and go to work 12-16hrs and they last with hardly taking a Percocet for breakthrough pain had my life back with the generic. The name brand Opana ER are junk. I always have an empty stomach when I take and not even an hr later my stomach is upset and always have diarrhea."

Alex39 January 14, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana ER (oxymorphone) for Pain: "Let me start by saying this medication is awesome! I have MS, Chronic Pain Syndrome, Chronic Joint Pain, lipomas pain, degenerated disks and lots more and I have tried literally every ER pain med on the market and not one of them seem to do half as much as this medication. I take Dilaudid 8mg for breakthrough pain with it after a few hours and they both are like brother and sister, works so well together. Now the only thing with this medication is that it is very expensive as the brand but some places do carry it in generic. I end up paying $40 a month with insurance, without insurance its near $1200. Hopefully when I get on medicaid they will cover it but again it works (ER) wonders. If you can afford it give it a shot"

JayTheJedi (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain: "I began taking pain meds on a 12 hr basis with prn oxycodone for breakthrough pain in 1996. We started with oxycontin ER, which has actually been the most effective, although very shortly we discovered I am a rapid metabolizer and it had to be increased to every 8 hrs. Then that doc retired. The new one refused to give it to her pts, so I went thru a different pain med about every 3yrs....until I hit the jackpot w Opana! It took minor juggling the 1st 3 months, but for 5yrs I have taken it or the generic & had no side effects & haven't needed a dose increase! As a retired RN, PhD, I will suggest you ask your doc do genetic screening focusing on one's body's ability to take specific drugs successfully. "

bjal January 12, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain: "I've been taking generic Opana (Oxymorphone) for three months to treat chronic pain from a forklift accident 30 years ago. I've had 41 surgeries on my Left leg, 3 on my shoulder, an appendectomy and 1 on my Right knee to remove torn meniscus. I FINALLY have a great pain management doctor who doesn't treat me like an addict. I'm very honest with her about how much pain meds I take and usually bring her the bottle so she can see for herself exactly how much I'm taking. Two weeks ago she increased my dosage from 5mg x 2 daily to 5mg/3 x daily. I have not experienced the pain relief I was hoping for. But I have had one very unwelcome surprise... my gastric motility has been GREATLY affected (constipation!) If you already have this problem, look out."

StlCardsFan (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2015

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Opana (oxymorphone) for Pain: "I just got out of the hospital and I'm in excruciating pain. The surgeon took out my hip implants and broke my femur . I have antibiotic spacers and balls put in. I was on a baseline of fentanyl plus 100 mcg every 6 minutes via PCA on top of a 250 mcg patch and 45 mg oxycodone every 3 hours and 40 mgs of Oxycontin every 8 hours. Also, Ketamine spray every 2 hours. I was released with in adequate medication and my PM doc put me on 30 mg of Opana every 3 hours."

jenninext October 14, 2015