User Reviews for Butorphanol

Butorphanol has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 75 ratings on Drugs.com. 66% of those users who reviewed Butorphanol reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Pain   8.5
Anesthesia   5.0
Labor Pain   4.6
Summary of Butorphanol reviews 7.1 75 reviews

Reviews for Butorphanol

Regrettable decision · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2021

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: “I opted for stadol during labor pains while I was waiting for an epidural. I immediately regretted the decision. I was so disoriented that I barely knew where I was. I got very sick too. It was a horrible experience and all I could do was wait for it to wear off.”

Mikel January 21, 2021

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: “I was so upset during my second delivery when they gave me Stadol again after the horrible experience with this drug during my first delivery. Same EXACT issue: it did NOTHING for the pain it made me feel drunk and completely disoriented and yet I could feel EVERYTHING. When it wore off pain levels were no different except I didn’t feel completely out of control. During labor I couldn’t focus on my breathing, I couldn’t speak clearly - it was AWFUL. Second delivery I told the hospital NO Stadol, it was in my birth plan directive. No epidural no Stadol. My doc didn’t make it in time and I started feeling really woozy and room spinning. I asked my husband - tell me they didn’t give me Stadol! Sure enough. They had. Grrrrrrr! They said “just in case I wanted an epidural.” I so angry.”

Brianna · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2020

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: “They gave me this while I was in labor. I was only 2cm dilated but my contractions were starting to get unbearable. I asked for pain medicine so they gave me Stadol. They told me it would make me a little drowsy which is an understatement. I was falling asleep quickly against my will within minutes. I told my fiance to call the nurse because I thought the medicine was going to finish me. I would have be okay wih it if it had relieved the pain but it did not. I felt everything and was well aware of my surroundings but could not open my eyes or respond. I felt like I was trapped inside of my body and could not even advocate for myself.”

Tilly · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2020

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: “They gave me this when I was at about 4-5 centimeters, I went into labor at midnight so I was on 0 hours of sleep and was in TERRIBLE pain. The put this in my IV and it was AMAZING. They told me I’d feel drunk and I DID, I then got an AMAZING 5 hour nap in, which was well needed considering I was in labor for 21 hours.”

Cat September 26, 2020

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: “I'm a retired L&D nurse. Stadol/phenergan and then stadol/benadryl IV was given routinely for labor pain. I began self medicating with stadol/phenergan to treat severe insomnia. I found myself unable to stop without experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms. When I began abusing stadol in 1997 it was not stored with the narcotics nor was included in the daily narcotic count. I used for 4 years. I self reported to employee health and entered into treatment. Stadol, in my experience, has extreme abuse and addiction potential. I experienced extreme withdrawal symptoms for 5 days and then extreme cravings for years. I am clean today and have been drug free for over 18 years and was able to return to nursing (meeting all requirements of the State Licencing Board). I share this experience in the hopes of spreading more awareness, especially to healthcare professionals, on the potential abuse and addiction of stadol.”

Anon · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2020

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: “Gave birth last night. I was given Stadol before the epidural to help with labor pains. I was in a lot of pain so I thought it would help. It did. But I also tripped for hours. It took 2 minutes for me to feel effects. My eyes rolled into the back of my head. I could not open my eyes and apparently I didn't for about 2 hours. I hallucinated, couldn't breathe. Kept forgetting to breathe. Horrible experience. She said it's rare and she's never seen anyone react like I did so I must just be sensitive to it but it was the worst experience. Definitely didn't feel the pain though as I was much too high.”

Baby February 8, 2020

For Pain: “I've had migraines for years. Butorphanol was prescribed at one one my many hospital visits. It works well! Gets rid of the pain, helps me sleep and I wake up feeling good and not having that loopy, hung over feeling!”

Kaila January 18, 2020

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: “I was given IV Stadol along with Benadryl, followed by an intramuscular dose of stadol for labor pains. It did exactly what the doctors said it would- it takes the edge off but you’ll still feel your contractions and they’ll still hurt. I also feel that its effects wore off relatively quickly. It’s a good choice if you’re looking to avoid the epidural shot but if you’re looking for complete pain relief, stadol won’t provide that. When given through an IV, you’ll feel the effects of the drug almost instantly.”

Buddy1 · Taken for 10 years or more January 2, 2020

For Pain: “I have suffered from migraines since I was 9 years old when I started my period. I was always tired and depressed after my period started, because of the blood loss. I saw a Neurologist in 1997 and my Doctor prescribed Butorphanol. I was amazed how much better I felt. I am now 68 years old and I have been taken off Butorphanol several times and I always felt worse. I just recently voluntarily took myself off of Butorphanol because of all the abuse I experienced with the Pharmacies. I have been back on Butorphanol for the last 2 months and finally feel better. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis along with 20 operations due to Connective tissue problems and Gastrointestinal motility issues. I thank God everyday I wake up and able to move. I train Dogs and have extensive education in many fields. Butorphanol helps me feel normal without pain.”

Anonymous November 23, 2019

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: “Chronic migraines 15/mo and have tried SEVERAL medications and therapies and Stadol is what the local ER gives me and it works well. I have had some migraines that don’t respond with the 1st shot and have to go in again the next day. Being from a small town of 7,000 people all docs know me and I’m sure l'm labeled as a seeker even though I see a neurologist for Botox treatments and take Immitrex before ever heading to ER. According to neurologist my CT and MRI images are terrifying due to having severe head trauma at age 5. My migraines all center in same spot with same symptoms and all center where the damage was done. Stadol is great for migraines I can’t control with Immitrex or other therapies.”

Soso August 20, 2019

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: “I was given stadol for labor pain management. While it helped me not to feel connected to the pain I didn’t like how it made me feel instantly. It forced me into a drowsy state. I couldn’t sleep and began having trouble breathing. Following my delivery I spent the first night crying because I couldn’t sleep And became paranoid and scared that I’d stop breathing in middle of night. Not only did I not sleep but the few times I dozed off it started off with a hallucination. It has been 5 days since I gave birth and I’m still having trouble sleeping at night. If any of you moms can give me some tips on what helped you ween this thing off out your system please do. Thank you.”

Blessed Mommy · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2019

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: “I was induced at 6 am. I was told at 6 pm that I was no longer dilating but now constricting. I had suffered with back pain and was given an epidural, which apparently curled and another one was inserted, with no relief from pain. Then the anesthesiologist put Stadol in my IV and I FLIPPED OUT. I became completely paranoid and disoriented. My tongue was swelling. I was trying to tell them no more but was having trouble talking. They gave it to me 3 times during my labor. I eventually had c section around midnight. It caused me to become delusional. I even thought the hospital had done something to my baby, was convinced the heart beat from the heart monitor was not my baby’s heartbeat. When taken in for surgery, I reached up and pulled the drape down, then they finally gassed me. Have to list Stadol on my list of allergies. HORRIFIC drug that I wouldn’t want anyone to run the risk of experiencing negative side effects. Not worth it!”

Ram · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 17, 2019

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: “Works great for kidney stone pain instead of going to the Dr every time to get a demerol shot. I have reoccurring kidney stones, stopped counting at #42.”

Lyssa. · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2019

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: “They gave me this Stadol rubbish for labor contractions. 5 secs later my eyes were actually rolling into my head, it felt like they was spinning. I was screaming flipping out. I was in so much fear I passed out and didn't remember anything after that.”

GlamourGirl · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 11, 2019

For Pain: “My neurologist prescribed butorphanol medication to me after trying so many other medications for my migraines. I take 2 other medications as well (preventative and a triptan). But I reserve this one for when I cannot get rid of the pain. Butorphanol is an absolute life saver for those really bad migraines! I am not sure what I would do if they stop making it! I no longer need to go to the ER and I feel like I can have an almost normal life. The pain stops almost instantly and my migraine is just gone.”

Ticked at FEDs · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 3, 2019

For Pain: “I was put on Stadol nasal spray about a month after neck surgery. It worked fairly well but electrifying pain down both arms returned in about 2-3hrs. Not able to lay down at all I slept on an incliner sofa w/bottle on table to my left. Early one morning I found myself slumped over to my right & knew what was going to happen. I had to get that bottle & screamed in pain waking my husband. I don't think it should be used long term, it irritated nasal passages. If you are addicted then get help, not fair to others who aren't.”

Patty · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 6, 2018

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: “Was very helpful. A dr prescribed stadol to me when I was 19. Before I realized it I was taking it even when I didn't really need and was quickly addicted. I've been addicted to opiates ever since. It's been a long rough road and I'm currently clean but this was so not worth the pain it helped. Dr.s should never prescribe this to anyone to take home and take whenever they want. In a controlled setting only.”

SDS · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 18, 2018

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: “I was prescribed Stadol at the age of 15 after suffering from migraine headaches that left me holding my head and literally screaming for my parents to help me. Did Stadol work? Oh absolutely. Unfortunately it also gave me my first high - my first experience with opioids and years upon years of substance abuse once the nose spray was discontinued. YES it helps. But I'd NEVER recommend it to anyone. It is highly addictive. I'd love to have the chance to tell that family doc from many years ago how screwed up it was to prescribe this to a young kid.”

Texasbee · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2018

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: “I have suffered from chronic cluster headaches since the age of 16. I have been on every medication and have had all of the injections out there. This has been my only relief. It has been the only medicine that has given me back my life. I too have fought the preconceived notion that those in the ER with head pain are merely drug seekers. I hope I can keep my prescription as it has been a miracle worker.”

CinderElle · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2018

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: “I was trying to avoid a spinal for my labor and my nurse administered Stadol. The WORST drug ever. I ended up going on a psychedelic trip and it was not an enjoyable experience! My oxygen levels kept dropping and my sister in law had to remind me every 2 min to breathe! If she hadn't been there, I don't know what would have happened, because the nurse gave it to me and then left. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw beautiful spirals of color, but the fact that I was forgetting to breathe was HORRIBLE.”

headache person · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2018

For Pain: “The nasal spray was very effective with just one dose and resting. Sometimes my migraines last for days even after a toradol injection. I only have a severe migraine about 3 times a month. But who wants to lose a whole day or days because of them. The butorphanol spray a perfect for me.”

Ditto · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 16, 2018

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: “Stadal nasal spray is the only drug that allows me to love a normal life. I have chronic crohn's pain & I have tried many of the drugs developed for crohn's and they haven't worked. I do not go over my physicians dosage orders and can honestly say I've experienced no side effects except a dry mouth.”

RosesMum · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 15, 2018

For Pain: “Butorphanol has been the only migraine medicine that consistently works quickly and effectively. After trying over 2 dozen different medications with poor results, this medicine is the solution to my daily headaches. I am now productive again and have rejoined the human race!”

Ckb · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2018

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: “Horrible experience. Not a good choice for somebody with panic attacks or anxiety. Makes you extremely dizzy, it was terrifying for me because I didn't know what was happening. Pain relief was minimal.”

Nisha22 January 22, 2018

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: “Well Heather I guess I'm in that 1 percent range with you.. as soon as the Medicine hit my veins my eye began to roll and my head started shaking like I was having a seizure or something. my heart rate was all over the place beating extra fast and I was literally going crazy. Fussing at my husband, and the dr and all of the nurses telling them something is not right something is not right and they said I was overreacting so I got even more annoyed ugh just ugh . Although about 4 hours later the craziness wore off and I had a nonchalant attitude but I told myself I will NEVER IN LIFE get that again..”