User Reviews for Butorphanol

Also known as: Stadol

Learn more about Butorphanol.

Pain 28 reviews 1094 medications

8.5
Anesthesia 1 reviews 139 medications

7.5
Labor Pain 11 reviews 9 medications

7.1
Summary of Butorphanol reviews 40 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Butorphanol

For Pain: "So I was administered this medication when I was in early high school. I gave it a 10 because it was great for pain relief on the other hand very addicting. A year passed I used it once. Into year two I had another stomach attack and had to use the butorphonal once more. I then continued to have pain that entire week and "had" to use the butorphonal again and again. My point here is this drug is great for pain if you don't have an addictive personality because like me I did as an early freshman and ended up in a rehab facility detoxing, no one should have to go through that ever."

amolton November 25, 2016

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I went to the ER with aneurysm symptoms and was administered Stadol Via IV. The nurse explained that it would make me sleepy and help with the pain in my head. Immediately I felt a little sleepy followed by nauseous and very warm all over. Within a few minutes I started to feel VERY uncomfortable in my own skin. I felt as if I had a horrible hangover or something. As I fell asleep I began having horrible nightmares. This experience was the first time I've been given the drug to my knowledge. Overall it made me feel kind of panicked and frightened. I hopefully will never be given this medication again."

ScaredyCat13 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

For Labor Pain: "I have been stuck in prodromal labor for over two weeks, and after a lot of talking into and lack of sleep, I agreed with my midwife to try 1mg (only half of the normal dose) of stadol with zofran to ensure that I get some rest. Not only did I not rest, but my contractions got stronger (still not productive) and more painful, the room was spinning, and I still threw up for the duration. It kicked up contractions to 2 minutes long with only 30 seconds in between on top of of the vomiting and dizziness. Not to mention that I became very difficult to deal with and talk to at this point. It made a bad and emotionally trying day even worse. I will never use or recommend this drug."

Horrible Experience (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I hace severe migraines and trigenimal neuralgia. When I am in pain, there is nothing that has ever helped other than demerol in a shot form. I was prescribed Stadol to try bc for some reason they call demerol a dirty drug and wont hardly prescribe it. (Aren't all pain drugs dirty?) but i used stadol the first time and it didnt take all of the pain away, but made me extremely irritable & grouchy. My mood was fine & normal before that. I had to use again later that month. Same thing, doesn't take all the pain away & extreme irritability, grouchy, horrible mood. When it leaves my system, I am back to normal. Am I the only one it does that to? I cant take morphines or triptans. Not sure wht to do now."

Gran3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2016

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "Omg I was given Stadol in my arm where my IV was to start. I went to ER for throwing up and throat burning and right side of my throat was closing up like swollen and on fire. They took blood, a pee test and came back with zofran in my IV and had me drink this Cocktail stuff that had lidocaine in it. Made my throat burn worse. I think they gave me WAY too much of Stadol. Weirdest feeling ever!!! Felt like I was flipping backwards, my body was being pulled forcing my whole body and brain n eyes. Felt so panicky, freaked out, the worst drunk feeling ever. I would NOT recommend this to anyone. Coming down from that scary high. Still can't stand up by myself. Do not take it. I would rather have the pain than have to take this again"

Daisybean (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2016

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "I was prescribed this when I was having preterm labor contractions. They said it would help me relax and sleep and let my body calm down enough for the contractions to stop on their own. Well... The contractions stopped but not until after I tried to convince my husband I was a stegosaurus. I don't remember much, but I do remember feeling very dizzy and nauseous until I eventually passed out. It's not something I will take again, but it did do its job of pain relief."

Samski0206 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I have migraines really bad, my neurologist prescirbed Stadol as a last resort medication. So far it has not worked. Just made me nauseated and gave me a head rush. It's very discouraging to read the comments about ER's thinking migraine sufferers are drug seeking people. It's sad that we get no attention or help. I would rather suffer than go to the ER and be put in a group that I'm not in. Good luck to all of us :)"

Kittenface (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "I was admitted into the hospital at 31 weeks for almost 3 weeks for preeclampsia and PIH. I would get terrible migraines and was so uncomfortable from constantly being in bed and switching from my left side to right side. I was given Stadol through IV and let me say it is amazing! When given intravenously, it works within seconds. I got really dizzy and felt like I was floating. I wasn't in pain anymore and slept like a baby. this medicine is great for pain, I don't think I would've made it through my hospital stay without it!"

Brandyb123 (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2015

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "I was given stadol during induced labor, it was miraculous, however after 20 hrs, I was still not dilating. I was given an epidural and began hr long labor, stadol in conjunction with epidural, I finally was able to have child w/o surgical intervention. Was also given stadol post hysterectomy, via IM injections. Only drug that helped pain for both."

mk0211 (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2015

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "All I can say is that stadol is AMAZING! I felt like I was floating on clouds and when the pain did come back I didn't care.. I could feel the pain but it was like I was disconnected from it somehow? After I had my son I asked what they had given me cause I had never felt like that before with my other babies. So if they offer it to you take it....it works!!! I couldn't imagine how these people are able to function if they take it for migraines??"

NYCmomma September 5, 2015

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "This drug knocked me out during labor which was great because I was crying and almost hyperventilating during my contractions (I was induced). They woke me up when I was fully dilated to push. Will ask for it again with next baby."

Cwingo (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "Ive been suffering with migraines since i was 12 and they have just gotten worse over the years i have usually 3 to 4 migraines a month i like most of you have taken just about all the triptans they make (zomig,maxalt,frova,immitrex etc) and numerous preventatives i ended up in the hospital for several days because of how bad the side effects were taken a toll on my body i had to quit taken them so i just suffered with my migraines and went to the er when I couldn't handle the pain anymore which is not fun at all cause 50 % of the time you get treated like a drug seeker well i was on my second pregnancy about 4 months along and i was just suffering daily from severe migraines my ob prescribes me Stadol NS this is my miracle drug people"

Temperance1985 June 23, 2015

For Pain: "I was initially prescribed this for frequent migraines - I cannot take triptan meds so if Fioricet didn't work for a severe migraine, then I would use this. I have to say, it didn't always work for very long for the migraine pain. What it does work very well for is pain from my chronic kidney stones (I have permission from my doc to use it for the stones). Kidney stones are extremely painful, and when my Percocet does nothing for the stone pain, I take the Butorphanol nose spray. It has kept me out of the ER on many occasions."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2015

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "For migraine pain = BEST = obliterates an attack. Side effects = Severe = dizzy and sedated, tolerance develops rapidly with any repetitious use. I take Stadol to abort only the most severe migraine attacks, about 10 doses per year. I can take it, but only if I have absolutely NO responsibilities for the 4 following hours. Stadol has helped me avoid a trip to the ER numerous times. It's one of those "break glass in case of emergency" type medicines, for me. It works EXTREMELY fast, starting in less than 2 minutes."

THEOCDMIGRAINEMAN (taken for 10 years or more) December 24, 2014

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I get daily migraines and nothing helps me. I've tried everything you could think of Stadol helps my pain too an extent. I'd guess 60% with a max dose but in all fairness that is the best pain relief I get but it does have side effects with me all in all I'd say its helpful."

this guy November 11, 2014

For Pain: "I have been on injection butorphanol for 19 1/2 years due to multiple injuries sustained in an assault on active duty. Unable to take any other narcotic I was put on this. Though people are different it is almost impossible to get physically addicted to this medicine. It is very expensive, so after all these years of being in relative freedom of great pain I am now bed ridden due to the VA hospital refusing to pay for it anymore. "

SSGKitCarson (taken for 10 years or more) November 15, 2013

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I have trigeminal neuralgia which triggers pain in my head so bad I just want to take my head off. Normal migraine meds do not help for these migraines. Stadol is the only medicine that takes the pain away. Sometimes I need to take a Phenergan with a spray, but other than some nausea I have no problems with Stadol. So far I have a nice doctor who just wants my pain to stop."

Amy B (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2013

Stadol (butorphanol) for : "I have been using Stadol since I was 21 and I am now 40. This is a great medicine if you use it when you supposed to use it. I am 40 now and the doctors have to give me something much more stronger now to help me with my pain from cancer. "

tinn April 1, 2012

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I've had migraines now for 56 years. I've been on just about everything out there. I was prescribed Stadol NS back in the early '90's. In the mid '90's, I was on it daily, after my migraines went to a severe chronic daily status. I found Stadol NS to be a life saver. I have been using it every day since. Of course, some days I use almost none, and some days I use my maximum dose. I have never had any adverse reaction to it. During a time when my pharmacy wasn't able to get this medication for several months, I had no problem or withdrawl symptoms. I just had to use less effective medications. I know that everyone is different, but this medicine has been a great success for me."

Crystalrz4 January 11, 2012

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "Tried one time and can tell you that it works."

refinancetoday November 23, 2011

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "Super effective and VERY strong. It's the only medicine that I've nodded to period. Use for bad pain with care. It works wonders, instantly. Couple of sprays and you're just fine (totally crushed...but not feeling the pain)."

Anonymous October 13, 2011

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I have fybromyalgia, have been in pain for over 15 yrs before they had a name for it. My doctor prescribed this medicine for me in nasal form. I only use it when pain is intolerable. There have been times when I have even allowed it to be expired because of non-use. It is a great medication but you must use it with care."

gidget01 October 4, 2011

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "They gave me Stadol when I was in labor with my son. It made me hallucinate badly. "

Anonymous August 30, 2011

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I have been suffering from migraines all of my life, before they made Stadol in nasal spray form, I was at the Emergency Room at least twice a month to get a shot of Stadol combined with Phenergan for the nausea. Finally they came out with the nasal spray, which was great, because not only could I not throw it up, but since it is administered through the nasal passage, it gave me almost immediate relief. I think that Stadol is the best pain medicine that was ever created, however, it is very addictive, and your tolerance gets to be higher and higher. People that suffer from any type of chronic pain I'm sure will agree with me."

Sunshine86 August 17, 2011

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I have tried just about everything for migraine pain. I am sensitive/allergic to the triptans. Plus, most of them last about 4-6 hours, my headaches last about 36 and you aren't supposed to use them two days in a row. I use Stadol for relief from the pain when it becomes unbearable. I use self-hypnosis, biofeedback, and Aleve but there are times when I need something stronger. This works quickly and there is no risk of vomiting it up as with a pill. "

Long time Migraine Patient April 2, 2011