User Reviews for Butorphanol

Also known as: Stadol

Learn more about Butorphanol.

Pain 33 reviews 1123 medications

8.4
Anesthesia 1 reviews 133 medications

7.5
Labor Pain 14 reviews 9 medications

6.5
Summary of Butorphanol reviews 48 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Butorphanol

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "I was given STADOL because I was at 3 cm for so long, yet my contractions were getting unbearable (can't get the epidural until 4 cm). The nurse told me, it works for some people and not for others. I am assuming it either takes the pain away or it doesn't. Well, it literally made me INSTANTLY start sweating, and my eyes were rolling in the back of my head. However, no pain relief. I got extremely restless and an intense feeling of confusion and dysphoria. I was so unprepared for that feeling, it's horrible. Being in a hospital, in labor, confused, restless, still feeling everything. I researched it when I got home and apparently, only somewhere around 1% experience this. Just pray you're the lucky 99%."

Heather W. July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "I am literally on this medication right now. I got a dose through my IV and yes at first it was intense and made me very loopy and hot. But now I am just must more relaxed. This is my fourth baby. I'm not quite full term so they used this to see if I could relax enough for contractions to stop. They haven't and I can still feel them but it's much more bearable now. I didn't have this with any of my other deliveries just the epi. Everyone reacts differently to different medicine and doses, so I don't think that basing what is right for you off of other people's experiences is a good idea."

Alli16223 June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "I was given stadol via IV while in labor with my eldest child. I don't know what dose but I did go unconscious for what I think was a few seconds. I just remember waking up gasping for air as about 6 nurses rushed into the room. They were trying to get me to breathe and checking my vitals. Not sure if I flatlined but I did have to remember to breathe, which wasn't fun. I remember feeling really high and happy after giving birth but it took me a long time to come down from it. I had my two younger children without meds and felt much better and aware of my surroundings. The stadol did help with pain but I'll never forget how hard it was too breather when you have to consciously make an effort to do it."

Ariluv83 June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "No matter what, I carry a headache (4-5 pain scale) DAILY, some turn severe 10 scale migraines 3-5 times weekly. I did imaging scans, EEGs, both short and 3 day through stay in hospital. I was told by 1st neurologist that some "speckling" and slight abnormalities (grey matter) this led to a referral from that Dr, to my 2nd neurologist that I have had now for 3yrs. He graduated me up to stronger meds after lots of trials. This is what's working. 600mg lyrica daily. 7.5 norco & staydol. Much less pain. Norco is not as good anymore. Have asked for stronger but was refused. Good luck to all. Ask for SPECT test. Google it so you can explain to your Dr. I had too."

BiggerDaddy (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "My husband suffered from migraine headaches throughout his life. He was prescribed Stadol ns. His migraines became more constant as his body craved Stadol. He was going through 5 bottles a week and had a callous on his palm from using it. This was back in 1996-1998. He went through rehab. It did stop his migraine, just to bring them back stronger and more often. PLEASE ASK YOUR FAMILY IF YOUR PERSONALITY IS CHANGING. Please listen to them."

SW4741 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I was given butorphanol for severe abdominal pain related to Crohn's disease when none of the typical meds worked for me. It is amazingly effective. The first time I took this nasal spray my pain disappeared in about 7 minutes. Nothing has ever worked for my pain before until taking this. And since I have Crohn's disease, the nasal spray is brilliant because it doesn't go through the digestive system and cause other symptoms. Made me a little sleepy, but less each time I take it. It's been a miracle for me."

Chronie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I have had very bad migraines for years when a neurologist prescribed the stadol ns and for the first time in years I had relief. Then without warning they cut the amount I was allowed to have in half. So I have a good week followed by a bad week. I guess its against the law to feel pain free all the time."

billietex March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I was having serial migraines and ALL other types of headaches for many years after a bad car accident. They got so bad I'd start screaming from pain. In emergency room a wonderful doctor gave me stadol nasal spray. In less than ten minutes, my pain was under control, I had an appetite, could move around or rest as needed. The worst side effects were an awful aftertaste and snacking. I refrained from driving, but the screaming headaches would have done that to me anyway. God bless the doc that took a chance that I wasn't just another addict. Thanks to him I did not kill myself in despair; it gave me a chance to find a decent pain doc, get blocked nerves, botoxed tmj, dropped stadol, no addiction!!"

Amykatie (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "So I was administered this medication when I was in early high school. I gave it a 10 because it was great for pain relief on the other hand very addicting. A year passed I used it once. Into year two I had another stomach attack and had to use the butorphonal once more. I then continued to have pain that entire week and "had" to use the butorphonal again and again. My point here is this drug is great for pain if you don't have an addictive personality because like me I did as an early freshman and ended up in a rehab facility detoxing, no one should have to go through that ever."

amolton November 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I went to the ER with aneurysm symptoms and was administered Stadol Via IV. The nurse explained that it would make me sleepy and help with the pain in my head. Immediately I felt a little sleepy followed by nauseous and very warm all over. Within a few minutes I started to feel VERY uncomfortable in my own skin. I felt as if I had a horrible hangover or something. As I fell asleep I began having horrible nightmares. This experience was the first time I've been given the drug to my knowledge. Overall it made me feel kind of panicked and frightened. I hopefully will never be given this medication again."

ScaredyCat13 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Labor Pain: "I have been stuck in prodromal labor for over two weeks, and after a lot of talking into and lack of sleep, I agreed with my midwife to try 1mg (only half of the normal dose) of stadol with zofran to ensure that I get some rest. Not only did I not rest, but my contractions got stronger (still not productive) and more painful, the room was spinning, and I still threw up for the duration. It kicked up contractions to 2 minutes long with only 30 seconds in between on top of of the vomiting and dizziness. Not to mention that I became very difficult to deal with and talk to at this point. It made a bad and emotionally trying day even worse. I will never use or recommend this drug."

Horrible Experience (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I hace severe migraines and trigenimal neuralgia. When I am in pain, there is nothing that has ever helped other than demerol in a shot form. I was prescribed Stadol to try bc for some reason they call demerol a dirty drug and wont hardly prescribe it. (Aren't all pain drugs dirty?) but i used stadol the first time and it didnt take all of the pain away, but made me extremely irritable & grouchy. My mood was fine & normal before that. I had to use again later that month. Same thing, doesn't take all the pain away & extreme irritability, grouchy, horrible mood. When it leaves my system, I am back to normal. Am I the only one it does that to? I cant take morphines or triptans. Not sure wht to do now."

Gran3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "Omg I was given Stadol in my arm where my IV was to start. I went to ER for throwing up and throat burning and right side of my throat was closing up like swollen and on fire. They took blood, a pee test and came back with zofran in my IV and had me drink this Cocktail stuff that had lidocaine in it. Made my throat burn worse. I think they gave me WAY too much of Stadol. Weirdest feeling ever!!! Felt like I was flipping backwards, my body was being pulled forcing my whole body and brain n eyes. Felt so panicky, freaked out, the worst drunk feeling ever. I would NOT recommend this to anyone. Coming down from that scary high. Still can't stand up by myself. Do not take it. I would rather have the pain than have to take this again"

Daisybean (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "I was prescribed this when I was having preterm labor contractions. They said it would help me relax and sleep and let my body calm down enough for the contractions to stop on their own. Well... The contractions stopped but not until after I tried to convince my husband I was a stegosaurus. I don't remember much, but I do remember feeling very dizzy and nauseous until I eventually passed out. It's not something I will take again, but it did do its job of pain relief."

Samski0206 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I have migraines really bad, my neurologist prescirbed Stadol as a last resort medication. So far it has not worked. Just made me nauseated and gave me a head rush. It's very discouraging to read the comments about ER's thinking migraine sufferers are drug seeking people. It's sad that we get no attention or help. I would rather suffer than go to the ER and be put in a group that I'm not in. Good luck to all of us :)"

Kittenface (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "I was admitted into the hospital at 31 weeks for almost 3 weeks for preeclampsia and PIH. I would get terrible migraines and was so uncomfortable from constantly being in bed and switching from my left side to right side. I was given Stadol through IV and let me say it is amazing! When given intravenously, it works within seconds. I got really dizzy and felt like I was floating. I wasn't in pain anymore and slept like a baby. this medicine is great for pain, I don't think I would've made it through my hospital stay without it!"

Brandyb123 (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "I was given stadol during induced labor, it was miraculous, however after 20 hrs, I was still not dilating. I was given an epidural and began hr long labor, stadol in conjunction with epidural, I finally was able to have child w/o surgical intervention. Was also given stadol post hysterectomy, via IM injections. Only drug that helped pain for both."

mk0211 (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "All I can say is that stadol is AMAZING! I felt like I was floating on clouds and when the pain did come back I didn't care.. I could feel the pain but it was like I was disconnected from it somehow? After I had my son I asked what they had given me cause I had never felt like that before with my other babies. So if they offer it to you take it....it works!!! I couldn't imagine how these people are able to function if they take it for migraines??"

NYCmomma September 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Labor Pain: "This drug knocked me out during labor which was great because I was crying and almost hyperventilating during my contractions (I was induced). They woke me up when I was fully dilated to push. Will ask for it again with next baby."

Cwingo (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "Ive been suffering with migraines since i was 12 and they have just gotten worse over the years i have usually 3 to 4 migraines a month i like most of you have taken just about all the triptans they make (zomig,maxalt,frova,immitrex etc) and numerous preventatives i ended up in the hospital for several days because of how bad the side effects were taken a toll on my body i had to quit taken them so i just suffered with my migraines and went to the er when I couldn't handle the pain anymore which is not fun at all cause 50 % of the time you get treated like a drug seeker well i was on my second pregnancy about 4 months along and i was just suffering daily from severe migraines my ob prescribes me Stadol NS this is my miracle drug people"

Temperance1985 June 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I was initially prescribed this for frequent migraines - I cannot take triptan meds so if Fioricet didn't work for a severe migraine, then I would use this. I have to say, it didn't always work for very long for the migraine pain. What it does work very well for is pain from my chronic kidney stones (I have permission from my doc to use it for the stones). Kidney stones are extremely painful, and when my Percocet does nothing for the stone pain, I take the Butorphanol nose spray. It has kept me out of the ER on many occasions."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "For migraine pain = BEST = obliterates an attack. Side effects = Severe = dizzy and sedated, tolerance develops rapidly with any repetitious use. I take Stadol to abort only the most severe migraine attacks, about 10 doses per year. I can take it, but only if I have absolutely NO responsibilities for the 4 following hours. Stadol has helped me avoid a trip to the ER numerous times. It's one of those "break glass in case of emergency" type medicines, for me. It works EXTREMELY fast, starting in less than 2 minutes."

THEOCDMIGRAINEMAN (taken for 10 years or more) December 24, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I get daily migraines and nothing helps me. I've tried everything you could think of Stadol helps my pain too an extent. I'd guess 60% with a max dose but in all fairness that is the best pain relief I get but it does have side effects with me all in all I'd say its helpful."

this guy November 11, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I have been on injection butorphanol for 19 1/2 years due to multiple injuries sustained in an assault on active duty. Unable to take any other narcotic I was put on this. Though people are different it is almost impossible to get physically addicted to this medicine. It is very expensive, so after all these years of being in relative freedom of great pain I am now bed ridden due to the VA hospital refusing to pay for it anymore. "

SSGKitCarson (taken for 10 years or more) November 15, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stadol (butorphanol) for Pain: "I have trigeminal neuralgia which triggers pain in my head so bad I just want to take my head off. Normal migraine meds do not help for these migraines. Stadol is the only medicine that takes the pain away. Sometimes I need to take a Phenergan with a spray, but other than some nausea I have no problems with Stadol. So far I have a nice doctor who just wants my pain to stop."

Amy B (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2013