User Reviews for Nystatin

Also known as: Bio-Statin, Mycostatin, Mycostatin Pastilles, Nilstat, Nystat-Rx, Nystex

Learn more about Nystatin.

Nystatin Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Oral Thrush.

Reviews for Nystatin to treat Oral Thrush

"I'm 47 years old and never even heard of oral "thrush". Went to see my Doc today with the worst cough and horrible sore throat. Yep, he said I had this thrush, put me on Nystatin and one other antibiotic. I mainly came in here to see other comments on how quickly this stuff works. I can't get over how bad my throat hurts and just pray this medicine works."

cruisecontrole August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Maaan is this medicine a gift from GOD!!! It works wonders and I am only on day 3. I've been suffering with unknown Candida for 4 years with it now affecting my stomach, throat and tongue. The coughing has subsided and my tongue is amazingly clear! I thought I was an alien of some sort dealing with a weird looking tongue all of these years but thanks to my Dr's diagnosis and prescribing Nystatin I feel sooooo much better. I suffer with Systematic Lupus and all of my medicine's are causing the thrush. Amazing product and it doesn't taste half bad either. My only gripe Is that nothing taste the same anymore but maybe that's temporary."

Verymotivated1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only on day 2 but see a huge improvement and my oral thrush and it was pretty bad, was on roof of mouth, tonsils, sides of mouth, gums and tongue... Taste was not bad but they put sucrose in it or some sweetener which I didn't care for..yeast thrives off of sugar....but hey its working."

Kat1957 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Loss of taste and taste buds. Was it the oral thrush or the Nystatin? Will my taste & taste buds come back??"

suetoyou October 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Seems to be taking a long time to work"

Cndelue (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I think that it has turned my lips black, unless there's something else wrong. I don't know. I love the medication. It really works and right away. My mouth, throat, and chest stopped hurting after taking it twice. I have coughed up blood before I started this medication. My cough is better also. I just can't figure out why my lips are black. I go to the doctor this week for a biopsy, so, I'll show the doctor."

BrendyLou October 8, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nilstat (nystatin): "The Nilstat cleared up the white spots in my mouth within 2 days and my throat was less sore so that I could start eating solid food for the first time since radiation treatment.(10 weeks) On the third bottle but have not fully cleared all the thrush from my throat. I have had Chemo. radiation and heaps of antibiotics so I am a hard case for it.."

Nymbo Kayaker January 19, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"63 yrs old, was prescribed liquid, 120.00 nystatin, 100,000 unitls/ml, 2 tsp., for 4 times a day as needed, for thrush that was in throat, and I believe going into esophagus. Was not in mouth this time (had it 6 yrs ago). Read where hydrogen peroxide kills it, and had been using toothpaste with hydrogen peroxide in it, so wasn't on tongue. But throat hurt, was actually coughing up blood in sputum. Only two doses and throat and chest doesn't hurt, coughing has lessened, and I believe bleeding has stopped! Notice the dose is for kids, but I'm 63. But it is working! Could hardly swallow, hurt so much. Not hurting so after only 2 doses. Amazing medicine! Was given 3 day supply."

Illinois resident (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nilstat (nystatin): "My daughter has to use this for thrush that her other 50 medications cause. It helps a lot!"

Team Skyla (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had to take this medication for oral thrush after a couple of rounds of antibiotics. Unfortunately the oral nystatin suspension gave me a terrible allergic reaction. I developed a very itchy body rash (hives) so I never got to find out if the nystatin would have worked for the oral thrush."

Anonymous December 23, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been using Nystatin suspension to cope with the oral thrush I get from all of the Prednisone I have to take. I've got systemic lupus and my kidneys went and started to fail. The prednisone is a life saver for me, but the thrush hurts. Thanks to the nystatin, the thrush is coming under control. My only gripe is that the nystatin is starting to make me nauseous, really nauseous. I don't need EXTRA nausea. Between the lupus and the prednisone, my stomach is already hooped. I DO love how fast the nystatin got started on giving me relief from the thrush, though. I can sing again!"

Anonymous April 28, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My father, a brain tumor patient, had oral thrush, which is very common for those taking long-term Dilantin. This swish-and-swallow medication worked wonders for him, within about 3 days. Be sure to take it for the full prescription period, usually 14 days. Also, the longer you can hold the gargle, the longer the contact between drug and organisms. Thrush can also move from the mouth into the throat, and it can recur quickly, so out of sight doesn't necessarily mean anything. Again, take it for the full period recommended by the doctor."

brainhospice July 11, 2009