User Reviews for Nystatin

Also known as: Bio-Statin, Mycostatin, Mycostatin Pastilles, Nilstat, Nystat-Rx, Nystex

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Nystatin.

Oral Thrush
8.1

Summary of Nystatin reviews 8.1 16 reviews

Reviews for Nystatin

For Oral Thrush: "I developed oral thrush after taking the notoriously problematic antibiotic known as Metronidazole and was prescribed Nystatin liquid for the thrush. after swishing and swallowing this medicine 3 times a day for a couple days, I notice I’ve started to have sudden and painful urges to have a bowel movement and when I do, it smells like rotten eggs and has an odd consistency. This is the only side effect of the Nystatin I’m experiencing which has already made a noticeable difference in my thrush but I’m ready to be done taking this medicine. The cramps and bathroom trips are inconvenient and embarrassing. I notice the longer I leave the Nystatin in my mouth and gargle with it, the better it works in clearing up my tongue. It also helps to wait as long as possible to eat/drink after taking Nystatin."

Candidaddy (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018

For Oral Thrush: "I developed a fungus infection of the bottom lip. My doctor wanted to put me on a systemic pill, but I asked if there was anything topical I could try. He suggested Nystatin. I have been on it three days and my lips have not peeled. They were peeling every two days before. I just use Q tip and put it on my lip. I got it because I am immune compromised and my white count is at the lowest it has been in a long time, 1.7"

Healing One February 2, 2018

For Oral Thrush: "I have COPD, and between prednisone and all the inhalers I use I always have thrush on my tongue. This week the thrush went into my throat. It was awful. My doctor prescribed nystatin and within 2 days my throat stopped hurting and my tongue is clearing and feels much better. Nystatin works great for me the only had side is you lose your taste buds while you're using it. They do come back once medicine is fine though. I can deal with temporary losing tastebuds as long as my tongue and throat don't hurt."

Lee1225 January 7, 2018

For Oral Thrush: "I think the medication is working fine until when I had it then a few minutes I brushed my tooth. Omg my tongue started to get numb and I have issue breathing. So don’t use it right before or after u plan to brush your teeth. My tongue would feel half numb. Not a good feeling."

Cj rey (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

For Oral Thrush: "I'm 47 years old and never even heard of oral "thrush". Went to see my Doc today with the worst cough and horrible sore throat. Yep, he said I had this thrush, put me on Nystatin and one other antibiotic. I mainly came in here to see other comments on how quickly this stuff works. I can't get over how bad my throat hurts and just pray this medicine works."

cruisecontrole August 16, 2017

For Oral Thrush: "Maaan is this medicine a gift from GOD!!! It works wonders and I am only on day 3. I've been suffering with unknown Candida for 4 years with it now affecting my stomach, throat and tongue. The coughing has subsided and my tongue is amazingly clear! I thought I was an alien of some sort dealing with a weird looking tongue all of these years but thanks to my Dr's diagnosis and prescribing Nystatin I feel sooooo much better. I suffer with Systematic Lupus and all of my medicine's are causing the thrush. Amazing product and it doesn't taste half bad either. My only gripe Is that nothing taste the same anymore but maybe that's temporary."

Verymotivated1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

For Oral Thrush: "Only on day 2 but see a huge improvement and my oral thrush and it was pretty bad, was on roof of mouth, tonsils, sides of mouth, gums and tongue... Taste was not bad but they put sucrose in it or some sweetener which I didn't care for..yeast thrives off of sugar....but hey its working."

Kat1957 June 22, 2017

For Oral Thrush: "Loss of taste and taste buds. Was it the oral thrush or the Nystatin? Will my taste & taste buds come back??"

suetoyou October 8, 2016

For Oral Thrush: "Seems to be taking a long time to work"

Cndelue (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2016

For Oral Thrush: "I think that it has turned my lips black, unless there's something else wrong. I don't know. I love the medication. It really works and right away. My mouth, throat, and chest stopped hurting after taking it twice. I have coughed up blood before I started this medication. My cough is better also. I just can't figure out why my lips are black. I go to the doctor this week for a biopsy, so, I'll show the doctor."

BrendyLou October 8, 2015

Nilstat (nystatin) for Oral Thrush: "The Nilstat cleared up the white spots in my mouth within 2 days and my throat was less sore so that I could start eating solid food for the first time since radiation treatment.(10 weeks) On the third bottle but have not fully cleared all the thrush from my throat. I have had Chemo. radiation and heaps of antibiotics so I am a hard case for it.."

Nymbo Kayaker January 19, 2015

For Oral Thrush: "63 yrs old, was prescribed liquid, 120.00 nystatin, 100,000 unitls/ml, 2 tsp., for 4 times a day as needed, for thrush that was in throat, and I believe going into esophagus. Was not in mouth this time (had it 6 yrs ago). Read where hydrogen peroxide kills it, and had been using toothpaste with hydrogen peroxide in it, so wasn't on tongue. But throat hurt, was actually coughing up blood in sputum. Only two doses and throat and chest doesn't hurt, coughing has lessened, and I believe bleeding has stopped! Notice the dose is for kids, but I'm 63. But it is working! Could hardly swallow, hurt so much. Not hurting so after only 2 doses. Amazing medicine! Was given 3 day supply."

Illinois resident (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2014

Nilstat (nystatin) for Oral Thrush: "My daughter has to use this for thrush that her other 50 medications cause. It helps a lot!"

Team Skyla (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2014

For Oral Thrush: "I had to take this medication for oral thrush after a couple of rounds of antibiotics. Unfortunately the oral nystatin suspension gave me a terrible allergic reaction. I developed a very itchy body rash (hives) so I never got to find out if the nystatin would have worked for the oral thrush."

Anonymous December 23, 2011

For Oral Thrush: "I've been using Nystatin suspension to cope with the oral thrush I get from all of the Prednisone I have to take. I've got systemic lupus and my kidneys went and started to fail. The prednisone is a life saver for me, but the thrush hurts. Thanks to the nystatin, the thrush is coming under control. My only gripe is that the nystatin is starting to make me nauseous, really nauseous. I don't need EXTRA nausea. Between the lupus and the prednisone, my stomach is already hooped. I DO love how fast the nystatin got started on giving me relief from the thrush, though. I can sing again!"

Anonymous April 28, 2011

For Oral Thrush: "My father, a brain tumor patient, had oral thrush, which is very common for those taking long-term Dilantin. This swish-and-swallow medication worked wonders for him, within about 3 days. Be sure to take it for the full prescription period, usually 14 days. Also, the longer you can hold the gargle, the longer the contact between drug and organisms. Thrush can also move from the mouth into the throat, and it can recur quickly, so out of sight doesn't necessarily mean anything. Again, take it for the full period recommended by the doctor."

brainhospice July 11, 2009