Nystatin Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to nystatin: oral capsule, oral suspension, oral tablet
Along with its needed effects, nystatin may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Some side effects of nystatin may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to nystatin: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral lozenge, oral suspension, oral tablet, topical cream, topical ointment, topical powder, vaginal tablet
The most commonly reported side effects include oral irritation and sensitization.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, gastrointestinal upset/disturbances, oral irritation and sensitization[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Delayed (type IV) hypersensitivity reactions[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Facial swelling[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Bronchospasm[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Non-specific myalgia[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Mycostatin Pastilles (nystatin)." Ernest Jackson & Co., Ltd., Crediton, Devon, England, .
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
4. "Product Information. Nystatin, USP from Extemporaneous Preparation of Oral Suspension (nystatin)." Paddock Laboratories Inc, Minneapolis, MN.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about nystatin
- Nystatin Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 21 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: mouth and throat products
- Nystatin Tablets and Capsules
- Nystatin Oral Suspension
- Nystatin Powder for Oral Suspension
- Nystatin (Advanced Reading)