User Reviews for Moxifloxacin to treat Pneumonia

Also known as: Avelox, Avelox I.V.

Moxifloxacin Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 178 medications used in the treatment of Pneumonia.

Reviews for Moxifloxacin

Mandels · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2020

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “This drug definitely saved my life! I began to see changes to my severe pneumonia condition after the 3 tablet with minimal side effects. Course completed: 10 tablets (one per day) Avelon (Moksifloksasien 400mg). After Effects: I continued to have a wheezing sound coming from my lungs for months afterwards even though I completed the course as instructed. Perhaps this was due to a secondary infection?”

Tin123 · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2020

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Was put on a 7 day course and was instantly dizzy, extreme dizziness that made it feel like the floor was moving when walking, it does work fast though but the dizziness and anxiety almost makes it unbearable”

Yessica · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2019

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Avelox was prescribed for my pneumonia and it’s my 5 day on it, 2 more to go... I feel like it’s helping but side effects are terrible. I have a lot of pressure on the top of my head, I feel dizzy and also my blood pressure gets really low. It’s awful and I don’t know how I’m going to take the last two pills ”

Abbasi · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

Avelox I.V. (moxifloxacin): “This product has dramatic results in CAP”

Cheetah · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

“Unfortunately.....I get pneumonia several times a year....and this drug works!!! The side affects are very harsh.....but....again...it works.”

Ssoee · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2018

“I was suffering symptoms from sinusitis (few months already) and uncontrollable coughing, couldn't breathe. Doc put me on amoxicillin, it didn't even touch my symptoms. Doc took x-ray, turns out I have pneumonia. She prescribed 400 mg/10 day course. I could definitely feel the medicine working it's way into my body. Crazy feeling! Anyway, I slept for about three days straight, I was exhausted from feeling so crappy. Just noticing on day 5, my sinuses are clearer, my ear is clear, and the coughing is more productive. The only side effects I have really noticed are tightening in my calf muscles, almost restless legs, and a bit of constipation. Oh, I also had a loss of appetite, but I was ok with it. Not sure if I'll be all better by end of treatment, but so far, so good. Pleased with the results.”

piano1shaw.ca · Taken for less than 1 month October 31, 2017

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I asked my doctor for Avalox for my pneumonia, but she told me that I cannot take it (I had it before with a doc that DIDN'T warn me that I can't take it) because I have Hypothyroidism and am on Thyroxine. I wondered why so looked it up. It keeps your body from properly taking on the Thyroxine. You end up with hair loss, itching, etc. (all the hypothyroid problems). I'm upset because it worked so well for me in the past for chest infection. So back to double doses of Amoxicillin (makes me sick) THREE times per day”

Travis_717 · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2015

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I was diagnosed with pneumonia after a few days of taking amoxicillin because of being mis-diagnosed with acute bronchitis. Before I started taking the Avelox, I had a fever of 103, a pretty bad headache, and was super tired and didn't want to do anything. My doctor told me the Avelox would make be even more tired. For the first 2 days it did, but my fever also broke and my headache went away. Also started coughing up more and more phlegm. By the 3rd day I started feeling better but still had a cough and was just a bit tired. It seems I missed out on some of the side effects but I did experience a bit of dizziness in the beginning and a loss of appetite. I'm on day 5 of my 8 day dosage. Going back to the doctor Thursday morning.”

americansunrise · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2015

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I have the most horrible experience with ALL antibiotics....they make me feel worse than whatever I have! Was prescribed Avelox for my pneumonia and within 24-hours all symptoms had abated and lung function had returned to normal. Best of all I experienced zero side effects! Have since has pneumonia a second time and was prescribed Avelox and had it was like "Groundhog Day". Powerful antibiotic but works extremely well!”

corgilady · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2015

“I had pneumonia and was given a 5 day treatment of Zithromax which didn't help, followed by a week of Biaxin which again didn't help. After the second day of Avelox I felt a twinge in the tendon of my thumb that I put down to an injury a couple of weeks prior - but I have since read could be a side effect. I have had zero appetite and been forcing myself to eat - no nausea, just no appetite which is probably a good thing for me. Minor issues with concentration - trying to avoid driving, but since I don't feel well enough to go out yet (just took 6th dose of 10) it is not really an issue. The symptoms of the pneumonia/bronchitis are improved when I wake up, but still present when I get into daily activities.”

Takara Bell July 4, 2015

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I am on a 14 day course of avelox for pneumonia. Apparently it was quite well spread over both lungs. First course of antibiotics made no difference. Ended up in emergency where they did a CT scan and I was given 2 lots of antibiotics via a drip. Was sent home with avelox which has improved things greatly. The side effects are I am very tired, no appetite ! This medication is well worth the side effect. A very frightening experience !”

pebam007 February 7, 2015

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I had shortness of breath and chest pains right side, doctor sent for X-rays. Called next day and told me I had pneumonia of left lung. It's been 5 days now and I slept throughout the night yesterday for 1st time in a week, chest pains still there but less intense. After 10 days on medicine I am going back for X-rays. So far so good.”

Anonymous December 1, 2014

“I have been ill for three weeks. Doctor gave me a prescription for doxycycline, but there was no improvement. On a Sunday I went to a walk-on clinic. They sent me straight to the hospital. After a plethora of wasted tests, they decided that I had bronchitis and sinusitis. This does not sound terribly severe, but I was so sick I didn't know how to cope any more. Within 24 hours of first dose, I am much better. No side effects are evident.”

sick mommy · Taken for less than 1 month November 24, 2013

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Am on day six of 10 course for pneumonia. Had a injectable at Dr. Office and then oral meds. Noticed major improvement in coughing and wheezing in 48 hours. Nearly all pneumonia symptoms now abated. Have had major side effects. No appetite, severe dizziness and confusion (just trying to answer work email has been a challenge). I've also experienced constipation and very bad acid reflux. Overall very effective but I'm pretty incapacitated by the side effects.”

AlwaysSick:( September 25, 2013

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “It took me two whole days of agony and suffering pneumonia while thinking whether to take this medicine or not, the reviews and side effects are terrifying. But I got over it and took the pill: Here's what I did. Everyday at 1pm I eat something not too heavy but satisfying, then at 2pm I take the pill with a whole 500ml water bottle. Avoid iron, multivitamins and all that, also avoid dairy unless you're fine with having to go to the bathroom a couple of times during the day. I didn't get any side effects. I'm drinking a lot of water, I'm eating well, eating lots of fruits and most importantly, I'm resting. On day 4 of 7 now, and I can safely say that this medicine really does work so well feeling so much better with clear lungs. Good luck.”

Seka Z · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2013

“Was put on moxifloxacin for bronchitis and pneumonia. Only on day 3 of the medication, however, I feel extremely disoriented and dizzy, with nausea that come and go. Feel that my lungs have cleared up a little so far so it is effective.”

bmundy June 11, 2013

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I was surprised that the 1st night I noticed a huge difference in how I felt. I have not had any of the side effects that are listed except for being tired. I am on day 6 and I am still amazed on how it does work. The cost is the only thing I do not like about this medicine. But if I had to take it again I would.”

another jonesy May 4, 2013

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “While the side effects given makes a nervous-making read, I've been lucky in having no noticeable side effects. On day 9 of 10. Had gone to ER, felt like I was drowning, could not breathe well, not enough oxygen. They put me on an inhaler to dilate bronchia, started me on Avelox, I got an Albuterol inhaler next morning. Started feeling much better day 2. Had a bit of coughing now and then clearing phlegm. Only concern is how they tell pneumonia is actually gone, apart from symptom relief.”

Mt25 · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2012

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Developed pneumonia after a bad case of influenza that kept increasing my fever over 8 days. Almost went to the ER as I have another neurological condition, but was able to see my doctor again. Pneumonia has developed and Avelox was prescribed along with the continuation of my other medicines. As my voice had not been present for days, I had noticed a huge improvement within 12hrs already. I would say for me and my other health concerns and for not having much of an appetite during this illness, this medicine is bringing me back to normal fast. Good luck to whomever needs this and needs to feel better ASAP.”

Toronto guy April 22, 2012

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “This is an amazing medicine. By day 2, I was feeling significantly well. Notwithstanding, the side-effects of the medication for me personally are not comfortable: sore kidneys in the morning, stomach upset, intestinal discomfort, headaches and muscle soreness. However, I realize that it's really important to finish my dosage (7 day supply) and I'm on day 4. This feels like a powerful antibiotic in my system and I'm aware that it is effective against resistant gram positive and negative bacterial infections. 3 more days....yay.”

princess72 April 12, 2012

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I am allergic to penicillin so the next course of meds for me is Biaxin for everything. I had Pneumonia in Nov and they gave me two bottles of antibiotics before I felt somewhat better, however, the cough kind of lingered on a little but the breathing was the worst. Ended up at urgent care 3 times in March and first time, asthma and they gave me inhalers even though I disagree, 2nd trip, Singulair for sinuses and an inhaler, 3rd trip, two inhalers and Biaxin, last trip and at this point beyond mad because I couldn't breath, I couldn't go anywhere as I'd use my inhaler sometimes 10 times a day. Finally, she put me on a powder puffer and Alevox. I just finished the Alevox yesterday and haven't felt this good since last September. It's my miracle.”

Anonymous April 4, 2012

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I am on my sixth day of Avelex 400mg for pneumonia. I have noticed a big change in my breathing and I do feel better. Still counting down to the last 4. Mostly because after I take it, I start feeling depressed, ill, tired, and still can not eat or drink much. So I dehydrated to the point that I could not understand what people were saying. Nothing made any sense. That is better now, but still get confused, dizzy, lightheaded when I walk depressed and so on.”

TOPGUN2GO January 8, 2012

“I am on day nine of ten taking Moxifloxacin HCL 400mg per day for pneumonia. I still cough up a white mucus with a slight rattle in my chest. I sleep using a Cpac and hope the last pill will clear out the rattle and mucus. The only side effect I had was constipation.”

nursemike64 September 8, 2011

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I am a FT RN working in an infectious disease unit. I am consistently exposed to respiratory viruses during the winter months; meningitis, encephalitis, and abscesses in the summer months; with a little variety thrown in here and there (asthma, pneumonia, kawasakis, septic babies, etc). I recently came down with a nasty RLL PNA and was prescribed this Avelox 400 mg, on day 14 of 20. Thus far, I have noticed tremendous improvement, but I am not 100% quite yet. Yes, the side effects/warnings can be scary, but the only thing I have noticed is fatigue and muscle/tenseness. Benefits always have to outweigh the risk, and I believe this medicine can keep many of us out of hospital bed and on the road to recovery quickly.”

Maahhk August 31, 2011

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Amazing stuff. After 1 pill I coughed up stuff that would scare Dr. House, but felt much better immediately. I will live with mild side effects considering that pneumonia can kill you or cause permanent damage. 3 doses left and I continue to practice breathing deeply and slowly. I'm grateful for medicines like these.”

Learn more about Pneumonia

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)