User Reviews for Avelox

Avelox has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 156 ratings on Drugs.com. 59% of those users who reviewed Avelox reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Sinusitis
Skin or Soft Tissue Infection
Summary of Avelox reviews 6.8 156 reviews

Reviews for Avelox

Geri · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2021

For Pneumonia: “Avelox is one of the most powerful drugs I've ever taken. A lot of side effects, but meanwhile the most effective drug.”

Mandels · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2020

For Pneumonia: “This drug definitely saved my life! I began to see changes to my severe pneumonia condition after the 3 tablet with minimal side effects. Course completed: 10 tablets (one per day) Avelon (Moksifloksasien 400mg). After Effects: I continued to have a wheezing sound coming from my lungs for months afterwards even though I completed the course as instructed. Perhaps this was due to a secondary infection?”

Tin123 · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2020

For Pneumonia: “Was put on a 7 day course and was instantly dizzy, extreme dizziness that made it feel like the floor was moving when walking, it does work fast though but the dizziness and anxiety almost makes it unbearable”

UKBr November 16, 2008

For Prostatitis: “I had a terrible case of Chronic Prostatitis caused by enterococcus. All antibiotics that this bacteria was sensitive to would not enter the protaste gland properly. My doctor prescribed 6 others antibiotics before Avelox. Thank God Avelox killed this nasty infection. I had to take it for 6 weeks. After the second week I was feeling normal again (after 10 months of fighting). Magic little red pills.”

Jazzy_Gal October 18, 2007

For Bronchitis: “Avelox works! I had a sinus infection and bronchitis for over eight weeks. During that time I had taken a full course of amoxicillin, followed by a full course of doxycycline. Neither of them had any effect on me and I was just getting worse. Then my doctor prescribed Avelox and within a couple days the sinus infection symptoms had disappeared. A few days later my coughing had subsided dramatically. I'm so glad my doctor prescribed Avelox for me...it really works!”

AlwaysSick:( September 25, 2013

For Pneumonia: “It took me two whole days of agony and suffering pneumonia while thinking whether to take this medicine or not, the reviews and side effects are terrifying. But I got over it and took the pill: Here's what I did. Everyday at 1pm I eat something not too heavy but satisfying, then at 2pm I take the pill with a whole 500ml water bottle. Avoid iron, multivitamins and all that, also avoid dairy unless you're fine with having to go to the bathroom a couple of times during the day. I didn't get any side effects. I'm drinking a lot of water, I'm eating well, eating lots of fruits and most importantly, I'm resting. On day 4 of 7 now, and I can safely say that this medicine really does work so well feeling so much better with clear lungs. Good luck.”

haml · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 12, 2012

For Prostatitis: “I have been struggling with this a bacterial prostate infection (E Coli) for more than 3 years. Now finally after trying dozens of antibiotics, Avelox seemed to do a better job than Cipro or Levaquin, after 9 weeks I was cured.”

Andra March 6, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: “Had a pretty nasty nasal infection with a rare bacteria. This was the 3rd round of antibiotics (the first two were not avelox!). Took Avelox for 7 days. It is a very strong antibiotic but it did the trick for me. Here's my advice: WHEN TO TAKE IT: Take it at night, this helps with some of the side effects (I got slightly dizzy, zoned out and sleepy). BOWEL ISSUES: Drink a lot of mint tea (to avoid diarrhea). I drank nearly 1 liter a day and had close to no problems. Take a strong probiotic (or drink yogurt! natural, no sugar or flavours) to avoid other possible problems after finishing antibiotic. I took double the normal dosage of probiotic just to be on the safe side. If female: take some antifungal ovules to avoid candida after finishing antibiotics (e.g. Canesten) STOMACH ISSUES: Take PPI to protect your stomach.(omeprazol, esomeprazol, nexium whatever is prescribed by doctor). Always take antibiotic 30 minutes after dinner to avoid stomach pain. Wishing you all the best!”

flowerladytoo · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2015

For Sinusitis: “I was given Avelox after other medicines just didn't clear up my sinus infection. It worked with noticeable relief in a couple days, and by my last dose I was back to my old self. I had been treated for six weeks previously, with 4 different antibiotics that just didn't clear this up. Very thankful for this!”

leeannechristine June 25, 2007

For Pneumonia: “I'm on day 4 (of 10) of Avelox for my recent bad pneumonia. I find I get nausea, slight weakness, and dizziness for about 4 hours after my dose. I can deal with it, but it gets annoying after the first few hours. Overall, it seems to be making my lungs better.”

Mt25 · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2012

For Pneumonia: “Developed pneumonia after a bad case of influenza that kept increasing my fever over 8 days. Almost went to the ER as I have another neurological condition, but was able to see my doctor again. Pneumonia has developed and Avelox was prescribed along with the continuation of my other medicines. As my voice had not been present for days, I had noticed a huge improvement within 12hrs already. I would say for me and my other health concerns and for not having much of an appetite during this illness, this medicine is bringing me back to normal fast. Good luck to whomever needs this and needs to feel better ASAP.”

Anonymous August 22, 2012

For Bronchitis: “This is very strong medication. I came from abroad with a bronchial infection and had to see my doctor. Cephalaxin and Clarithromycin prescribed to me abroad by doctors apparently could not suppress the infection and my doctor put me on Avelox on a 7 day course. I finished the course with great reluctance yesterday. It did relieve the symptoms to a great degree, but the side effects have been severe. I have severe loss of appetite, continue to be nauseous, lethargic, experience loss of energy and became dizzy. I had extremely uncomfortable palpitations, tightness and pain in the chest throughout the course, and several sleepless nights. I have lost nearly 5 pounds over the seven days.”

Anonymous December 27, 2011

For Sinusitis: “The first three days on Avelox were difficult. It made me feel disoriented, dizzy and sleepy. I had to rearrange my days to accommodate a 2 hour nap everytime I took it. I got used to the medicine by day 4...so give it time. It cleared up my sinus and double ear infection which persisted after full courses of both Augmentin and Bactrim. Also, I did not feel better until about 4-5 days on the medicine, so don't feel discouraged if you don't feel great right away.”

BlueEeyore March 15, 2008

For Sinusitis: “Whenever I get a nasty respiratory infection that won't go away, despite multiple rounds of antibiotics, Avelox has done the trick. I'm currently using it for sinusitis and bronchitis that I've had for 3 months. After 2 days of Avelox, I feel substantially better.”

bmundy June 11, 2013

For Pneumonia: “I was surprised that the 1st night I noticed a huge difference in how I felt. I have not had any of the side effects that are listed except for being tired. I am on day 6 and I am still amazed on how it does work. The cost is the only thing I do not like about this medicine. But if I had to take it again I would.”

nursemike64 September 8, 2011

For Pneumonia: “I am a FT RN working in an infectious disease unit. I am consistently exposed to respiratory viruses during the winter months; meningitis, encephalitis, and abscesses in the summer months; with a little variety thrown in here and there (asthma, pneumonia, kawasakis, septic babies, etc). I recently came down with a nasty RLL PNA and was prescribed this Avelox 400 mg, on day 14 of 20. Thus far, I have noticed tremendous improvement, but I am not 100% quite yet. Yes, the side effects/warnings can be scary, but the only thing I have noticed is fatigue and muscle/tenseness. Benefits always have to outweigh the risk, and I believe this medicine can keep many of us out of hospital bed and on the road to recovery quickly.”

sick mommy · Taken for less than 1 month November 24, 2013

For Pneumonia: “Am on day six of 10 course for pneumonia. Had a injectable at Dr. Office and then oral meds. Noticed major improvement in coughing and wheezing in 48 hours. Nearly all pneumonia symptoms now abated. Have had major side effects. No appetite, severe dizziness and confusion (just trying to answer work email has been a challenge). I've also experienced constipation and very bad acid reflux. Overall very effective but I'm pretty incapacitated by the side effects.”

Kaiyasmom · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2013

For Sinusitis: “I took a 10 day dose 1 year ago for a sinus infection, and only remember feeling much better in a short time. Since I was already miserable, I don't remember having any adverse reactions. Recently, I got a 7 day dose for another sinus infection and an ear infection, and I felt good on day 3 and 4 with only mild nausea and dizziness. Taking it on a full stomach helped. I started to feel poor on day 5 and developed a terrible headache that lasted 2 days. By day 7, I developed severe fatigue, muscle, tendon and joint pain. I agree with other reviews, in that this is a very effective medicine, but the side effects can be severe. I am glad to hear that these go away in a few days.”

Hels bells September 22, 2013

For Sinusitis: “A good target specific antibiotic for upper respiratory tract infection and lower respiratory tract infections together with sinusitis which works fast and I experienced no side effects bar taste being affected but only temporarily.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2012

For Bronchitis: “I had bronchitis that I thought went away after a Zpak. It was back within a few weeks, so I went back and got put on 10 days of cephalexin. Day 6 I was still coughing all night (and lots of the day), so I got some samples of Avelox. I was a little scared after reading some of the horror stories, but I couldn't stand the coughing anymore and I was willing to try whatever. I am on Day 3. The medicine (I think?) makes me sweat and feel a little "off" for a couple hours after I take it, but other than that, I am pleased to report no side effects (knocking on wood!) and a dramatic reduction in coughing. I take it after lunch and am drinking LOTS of fluids (as per instructions) and I am amazed at how well it seems to be working.”

Syd10 January 18, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: “Absolute best antibiotic I've ever used! I was feeling better within 2 days. No side effects. I've used it for both a UTI and Sinus Infection. Worked amazingly both times. I have a sensitive stomach and usually hate taking medication. But this stuff really works.”

Anonymous March 18, 2016

For Sinusitis: “I have taken Avelox on several occasions for sinusitis and bronchitis and within two doses, I always feel 10 times better! I am aware that dizziness and nausea can be side effects, but since I have taken it before bed, this has never been an issue. I am surprised at the number of people who try to take it during the day - take it at night and you will tolerate it just fine”

Anonymous October 19, 2011

For Bacterial Infection: “I can't wait until tomorrow. I took my last Avelox today and unfortunately it took me this long to figure out it was making me feel so sick. Nervous, shaky, nauseous and my whole body is fatigued. I can't concentrate on my work and feel dizzy. ”

onejap · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2013

For Bronchitis: “Azithromycin failed to get rid of bronchitis. Switched to Avelox. No side effects, by the 2nd day, felt much better, got rid of congested feeling. It made me sweat more than usual, but sweating was nothing compared to menopausal hot flashes.”

theles October 19, 2009

For Pneumonia: “I am on day 5 of ten days @ 400mg for pneumonia/bronchitis/sinusitis. I am also taking codeine syrup as needed for cough and pain. Each day I have noticed improvement in the infection in my sinuses and lungs, which means it is, so far, quite worth it for me. The side effects for me are drowsiness for about 4-5 hours after taking the pill, then some nervousness and jitteriness after the drowsiness wears off. No other side effects. So, for me, it has been a very effective medicine, without enough side effects to override the clear benefits. I have been avoiding: dairy, taking vitamins. I've been eating foods such as oatmeal, apples, granola bars, chicken noodle soup, etc. Have had no stomach problems, nausea, etc.”

Anonymous July 7, 2009

For Sinusitis: “I tried so many antibiotics for a sinus infection that lasted over 3 months. My doctor finally decided to prescribe Avelox because it is one of the stronger antibiotics (at least that is what she told me). Within 3 days I honestly could feel relief. I was so happy to have finally found something that worked. About 1 1/2 years later I had another sinus infection and my doctor put me on Avelox right way. Again, within 2-3 days there was so much relief. I never had any side effects that I knew of.”

nikiww · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2014

For Bronchitis: “I was prescribed this after a sinus infection turned into bronchitis. The take with food sign on the bottle should be in bold letters. I took the pill before my breakfast and threw up thirty minutes later. You need food in your stomach before the pill. This pill is the only pill that helps cure my horrible sinus infections. Eat first and you should be fine.”

shelley l January 28, 2010

For Sinusitis: “Have had a sinus infection for two weeks with a round of azithromycin that didn't work. My doctor prescribed Avelox and I was pretty scared after reading some of the side effects others have had. I'm on day 4 and my sinus infection is so much better and the coughing from my bronchitis is almost gone. So much better! Only side effect is not being able to fall asleep.”