User Reviews for Mercaptopurine

Also known as: Purinethol, Purixan

Learn more about Mercaptopurine.

Crohn's Disease, Acute 2 reviews 15 medications

Autoimmune Hepatitis 4 reviews 3 medications

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 5 reviews 26 medications

6.4
Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance 3 reviews 15 medications

5.3
Summary of Mercaptopurine reviews 14 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Mercaptopurine

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I've been using this drug for just over a month and everything seems like it's going down hill. This drug will make me extremely tired but also keep me awake. It's too inconsistent for my body. It should be helping with bodily functions and minimize pain but it does quite the opposite. Some days my body can't move very fast because of the pain. And if it's not the pain it's fatigue all day. I've had the same problem with other drugs like this. There has to be a way to help without all of the drugs or surgeries."

Jndebar (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "It seems to "control" the UC symptoms, but it has wreaked havoc with my skin and hair. I have lost so much hair, and what doesn't fall out, doesn't grow either. Skin was peppered with little red "spots" that, when they go away, leave brown spots. I itch. I am nearly 80, have never been on any medication and I think my body "knows" how foreign this is."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "Mercaptopurine has certainly helped me with my ulcerative colitis but the side effects of a lowered immune system has been a debilitating blow to me. I catch every influenza infection that comes along, to the point that I am now taking asthmatic sprays to help me with my breathing and coughing. I have been getting bad mouth infections and generally my immune resistance has plummeted. I also have been getting heart palpitations and am now on the medicine Betaloc to try and rectify this problem. I need to tell you that before taking Metcaptopurine I hardly ever got a cold or the flu. I am in my sixties, I am employed, lead a busy life but I also know that the side effects of taking Mercaptopurine has given me other negative health issues."

Francescaphilip (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2014

For Autoimmune Hepatitis: "I was diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis in Nov of 2013. I was prescribed IMURAN as well as Prednisone. I was unable to take the IMURAN due to side effect of violent vomiting. I was prescribed Mercaptopurine and within 1 week became stable and have improved weekly. Seven months later, I now take only the Mercaptopurine and my enzymes have stayed stabilized."

POConnor August 3, 2014

Purinethol (mercaptopurine) for Autoimmune Hepatitis: "On azathioprine for 6 months but it suppressed my bone marrow and my platelet levels fell dangerously low. The azathioprine dose was reduced but my liver readings shot up. Was put on mercaptopurine 2 months ago and since then all levels have returned to normal."

Bitternwatcher (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2014

For Autoimmune Hepatitis: "I have been on 50mgs daily since Sept 2012 to date. No side effects at all. I'm in the process of my prednisone wean and hope to also get off mercaptopurine by Spring if 2014."

Mbsunny December 1, 2013

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I have been on this medication for 5 years since a bowel resection and have not had any pain nor side effects. The doctor monitors my blood counts every 3 months for low platelets; but all has been good. I"

Kielbasahead (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 3, 2013

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I have been on this medication for maintenance for at least 20 years. I have not had a bleeding episode since I started. Also, I have experienced no side effects. I don't know how others would tolerate it, but for me it really has worked. I have had Crohn's Disease over 40 years."

vldev February 6, 2013

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I have been on this medicine for a week. I have no energy and I only sleep about 4 hours a night. I can fall asleep but can't stay asleep. I think I am going to ask my doctor to switch me to something else. I can't focus very well with this medicine. "

michael1974 (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2013

For Autoimmune Hepatitis: "Only been using this for 3 weeks. Started mercaptopurine Aug 30th at 25mgs daily for 2 weeks. Went up to 50mgs daily Sep14th. I take it at bedtime. Some body aches, dizziness, abdominal bloating. Blood work every 2 weeks. Will rate this medicine again in a couple of weeks."

Mbsunny54 (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2012

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I tried it for two days and was so sick I could not function. Symptoms included severe dizziness, feeling of faintness, fatigue, unfocused, could not see straight, bloated upset stomach, diarrhea. Now they want me to try a lower dose and see if I get used to it. "

Anonymous October 4, 2011

For Crohn's Disease, Acute: "This medicine keeps me as if I didn't have Crohn's at all, it has been a life changer. I am just a little concerned about the birth issues. (I'm a male) I think I might get off the medicine temporarily if there's a chance to prevent any problems with my partners pregnancy."

Anonymous September 4, 2011

For Crohn's Disease, Acute: "This medication was very effective for all my Crohn's symptoms (including lack of energy, nausea, bleeding, etc..). It is like night vs. day being on this medication and being off of it."

Anonymous July 21, 2011

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "My numbers improved a little bit but I felt horrible the whole time taking it plus I had severe side effects such as pancreatitis."

Anonymous November 13, 2010