User Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Amenorrhea

Depo-Provera has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Amenorrhea. 75% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Amenorrhea.

Jodie February 17, 2020

“I was on the depo-provera injection for 4 years, came off it 29 months ago, have had maybe 4 periods last year, my last one was 9 months ago, and I’ve just been told I now have polycystic ovaries.”

Reca January 8, 2020

“I took the depo provera shot for the very first time ever on 9/17/19, (I’ve never taken any form of birth control before this) it’s now 1/7/20 and I’m still bleeding! I was originally offered the shot due to heavy periods and large blood clots. I was told it would stop my period. After several attempts, I finally found out I have fibroids and wasn’t supposed to be given the shot but maybe the pill. I am now on lo loestrin pill which I started sometime in December 2019. I am on my second pack ( today is 1/7/20) and It has done nothing to help with the bleeding as I was told it would. This has been the worse experience ever! I’m so scared I will NEVER stop bleeding.”

Sam · Taken for 10 years or more May 15, 2019

“I have been having Depo-provera shots for 23 years and my bones are good and I feel good.”

christinemaguire1 · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2012

“I have a really hard time taking estrogen birth control and I decided to get the Depo shot. After reading the reviews I was so scared I canceled my appointment to get it. After thinking about it I decided to just go ahead with it and see what happens. I've been on it a little more than 3 weeks and I've noticed that I am a little more tired and I have some pimples that are starting to go away. Other than that I haven't had any spotting, tender breasts, sex-drive changes, etc. Usually before my period I eat non-stop and have cravings and it's nice to not have that! I will write again to update how it's going in a few weeks. I wanted to let people know not to be terrified. It may work for you and if it doesn't just don't get another shot.”

fel23 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 9, 2014

“My first birth control experience was a disaster; I was taking Tri-Sprintec. Tri-Sprintec made me gain 20 pounds, acne, increased my periods, and did the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do. After one year of searching the internet for an alternative option I came across the Depo-Provera shot. I have been on it now for 9 months (so this is my third shot), and I have come across no weight gain/no periods, and I think I am one of the few women who has been so lucky. The only thing is, for the first month of EACH shot you have bloating, some pain, a little headaches, etc. It goes away for me after that. Nothing I can't handle compared to the periods I was getting before. Everyone is different though but I highly recommend this!”

LilTattooPrincess · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 6, 2017

“Before I was on the Depo Provera shot,I had extremely painful periods..periods that were so painful, sometimes I would have to miss work. I would literally be doubled over in pain all across my lower abdomen, ibuprofen sometimes didn't help. This had been going on for several years, but last December I had enough, and decided to get the Depo Provera shot..I have been period free for several months now, and I feel so much better, I am one of the lucky few who hasn't really experienced any side effects. The Depo shot has been a miracle in my life, no more painful periods!”

Veronica92 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 8, 2018

“I was on the jab for 5 years (20-25 years old). While I was on it I was fine - no problems apart from frequent headaches. My last jab was in July 2017. I spotted few times from September to December, and then in the middle of December a nightmare started. I have now been bleeding for 4 weeks. Heavily bleeding as well. My breasts hurt too, I went to the doctor and I was prescribed Norethisterone for 10 days. If this doesn’t help, I don’t know what will. These tablets give me an awful headache too. I am worried that I won’t be able to have children in the future. I feel weak because of the heavy bleeding. The doctors SHOULD inform of the side effect after stopping this injection. I would definitely not recommend this to anyone.”

ѕкιииумιииιє · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 4, 2015

“Hi ladies, I am a 22yr old female 5'8, 134lbs. I've been on the depo shot for 5yrs. My first injection was admin my junior year of high school, 2009; 16yrs old. I was consistent with the schedule for 3.5yrs. 2013 I started to skip injections because I read that it wasn't good to continue more than 5yrs due to risks of osteoporosis & bone density but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I would only schedule to receive it to stop my cycles so I'd get an injection and instead of returning after the scheduled 13 weeks I would wait about a month or 2 after or when I'd start 2 spot to get another dosage. The last injection was May 2014 and I started bleeding January 6,2015 stayed on for 24 days str8 now They're coming every month now lasting for 1-2weeks. Am I OV yet?”

K1991 February 14, 2015

“I was pretty terrified to try it out hearing & seeing all these bad reviews. I got my first shot in November, around the time my period was ending. So far, that was my last period. The first month, I did get a little bit of cramping which I usually don't get. I haven't had any cramping since then. & also by the time I was due for my second period, I spotted instead for maybe 10 days (my periods usually last 5-7 days) & it seemed like it was more like discharge than it did spotting. Again, that's been it, no more periods so far nor spotting. As for gain weight, I may have gained a few pounds, honestly not sure. I never step on a scale. But nothing drastic. I just recently got my second Depo on February 12th, we'll see if all goes well.”

ChunkMonk · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 23, 2016

“The Depo Shot is the first birth control I've been on and I would say It's going pretty good. I haven't gained any noticeable weight, just 7 lbs since I started it. I do spot 2 weeks before it's time for my next shot which sucks because that's also the time period where I'm most interested!. Otherwise it's great. I've heard that after a year of use your period stops completely and my one year is coming up next week so I'll let you guys know how that goes.”

kc1218 November 6, 2016

“I had the worst experience on this medication. First, I recieved 2 shots. Secondly, I was on my period for 3 entire months, non-stop, heavy bleeding. Third, I gained roughly 25 pounds on the shot. Thankfully, I have changed birth controls and have been off the shot now for over a year, but as soon as I stopped the injections, the weight melted off without any change in diet or exersise.”

Learn more about Amenorrhea