User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

3.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 152 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I have been bleeding nonstop since I got on this medication not to mention my hair is falling out! I can't even run my fingers through my hair without me losing a handful of hair I always said I wouldn't get the shot but I have in and I regret it so much!"

Xoxokld (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The Depo just doesn't work for me. It was great at first, it lightened my periods but 7 months in and my period started lasting up to 2+ weeks. Back in March 2017, I asked to get my shot early (I was due in April) in hopes to stop the bleeding and it did. A month later my period came back and I took these low dosage birth control pills my doctor gave me which stopped the bleeding up until I finished the pack this month, and I started bleeding again. This time, however, I'm bleeding A LOT. My cycle's super heavy, and my normal period's before depo were never like that. This depo is messing up my body and it's made me gained weight like crazy. I'm switching to the implant in my arm method tomorrow, and I really hope that works better for me"

Paperpetals May 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was told that the depo is suppose to stop your period and any other problems you have when you're on it. As far as for me I got my first shot March 2017 and it's now May 2017. And since March 30th until now, I've been on my period non stop. I must say my sex drive did increase but hell I couldn't do anything. I wouldn't recommend this form of birth control to anyone because of my experience. I've lost a lot of blood to were I'm anaemic. I've also gained some weight and I'm starting to get bumps on my face. On top of that I found out I'm allergic to the medicine. This was by far the worse. I should of just stuck with the bc pill. Please for those looking for a easy way out of a period DO YOUR RESEARCH!!"

P-long beach08 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When I got this all the clinic told me was "We have the Depo shot, it's a shot you get every 3 to 4 months. You wont have a period and it is 99%effective." Of course that sounded appealing. But this was one of my worst decisions. Its not like the pill where if you feel side affects you can just stop taking it. I took this shot in Feb 2017 it is now May 2017. It is about time for my next shot but there is NO way I am getting it. I have bled every single day since Feb. Not a lot but enough to where I have to wear a pad everyday. I've never had acne issues but now it is constant, my sex drive has almost completely gone away and your period wont go back to normal for up to 12 months after the last shot..I would not recommend this to anyone."

LX3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Depo-Provera was the worst decision of my life!! I got my first shot in December (2016) and after the shot, I began to bleed heavy constantly. I went for my second shot in March (2017) and I still was bleeding. Here it is May and I'm still bleeding not as heavy as I was in January! But I've been bleeding every since DECEMBER 2016. It's so frustrating and depressing!! If anyone has found anything to stop abnormal bleeding due to Depo-Provera please help me and point me in the right direction. Please & Thanks!"

Karlee C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on depo for about 7 years and am now just switching over to Kyleena (IUD). This was the best birth control for what I needed at the time. At the start I had severe cramps and highly abnormal bleeding. This was the ultimate lifesaver! After about 6 months of abnormal bleeding (this is very common when first starting depo), I stopped having a period all together. I would have given this a 10 if not for the more recent side effects I started experiencing. In the last year or so, I started experiencing a steady state of feeling down/low, easily agitated/quick to anger, and low libido. After some research I found other testimonials of people experiencing the same mood changes after being on depo for 5+ years. Only reason I'm switching."

Depo User for 7 years (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Age: 35 Reason for meds: I was suffering from constant night-sweats, and extreme PMS at the end of my cycles. Due to a history of DVTs I was unable to use estrogen based b.c. My doctor put me on Depo-Provera to stop the night sweats and get my hormone levels back on track. Results: Mixed. The depo did stop the night sweats and mood swings, I never get my monthly break-out, and I've found that I've lost some weight because I'm no longer bloated. That's the good news. The bad news: I spotted or bleed continuously to the point where I became slightly anemic and needed a second hormone based b.c. to get the bleeding stopped."

OHLib (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I hate this damn shot. Got my first one in the beginning of March. Had a 7 day period which I normally only last between 3 and 5 days and then dark brown/pinkish spotting for 7 days after. I went 3 weeks with no period and on 4/17 I started spotting again and haven't stopped yet and it 5/9. I'm not getting my next injection which is scheduled for next month at all. I'm letting this medication leave my system and I don't recommend it to anyone. For all of this I'd rather go off and deal with my regular periods and my man and I will be careful. Depo is not a good birth control for anyone."

Ki lynn May 9, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got my first shot March 12, which was the first day of my period. I bled for 7 days and then it went away. 45 days later I started a period. I have been on for two weeks now. My doctor prescribed me premarin which is supposed to stop the bleeding completely. I'm also to take folic acid, B12, and iron pills because I have lost so much blood in so little time. I'm always weak, tired, sleepy​, and extremely cold. Let's hope this premarin works."

Eyes_b May 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got my shot February 7 day after I had my son I was bleeding like crazy this is been going on 3+ months my ob said there's nothing they could do and I'm currently still bleeding ugh"

Manseau May 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Awful experience on depo. Only had one shot - never again. Bleeding non stop for 3+weeks. Serious mood changes and anxiety. Total loss of libido! Been to the docs twice but nothing can counteract it so stuck with it making me feel lousy till it wears off. Do not recommend this contraceptive to other women. I would rather have be sterilised than feel the way I do !"

Debelost79 April 30, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi Jadeb as I have shared in my previous posts about my experience. Got my shot January 6 2017 bleed for for while which was heavy finally had to go to hospital because my blood level was critically low. Had to get blood transfusions because I was bleeding for 3 plus months heavy with clots. Please get your levels checked and take iron pills. Long story short my GYN did a D&C April 7th. It was the best decision. After the D&C I bleed for one day then spot for 7 days after no more spotting. I'm so relieved that I finally stopped bleeding. Because of this procedure. Please go see your GYN you may need to get this done."

Betty- lue 2017 April 30, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had the IUD for almost 10 years but started to have abnormal lower abdomen cramps in the last few months to remove. So I gladly removed it and what a relieve it was. Now I decided to try the Depo shot. So the first few weeks no period and now I'm like bleeding for 3 weeks now. First dark brown then bright red for two weeks. Stop bleeding in 16 hrs then I'm bleeding again. This is not good. I can't have no intimacy with my partner, feeling week at times ( which I'm already anemic) mood swings, buying pads like crazy. I'm sick of this. I'm not going to enjoy my vacay. I dislike Depo with a passion"

SweetP305 April 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started depo September 23rd 2016 I recently got my 3rd shot March 23rd. Mood swings are awful and I constantly have brown discharge or it will disappear and look normal and then bam bleeding out of nowhere like a gush and today its dark with small clots. I don't know what to do guys my boyfriend doesn't like blood so our sex life hasn't been the usual 4 days a week its more like 2 days every 2 weeks. Its kind of became a burden. Like most of you I have a hard time remembering to take pills so a shot every three months on the 23rd (I started depo the day I got my period) I used to bleed heavily on my periods to the point where I had to wear overnight pads for the first 4 days of it. Now honestly I regret ever being on depo."

Joceline marie April 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went on DEPO a few years ago for about 1.5 years. Before my cramps were so bad, I couldn't function for days. When I went on DEPO, it stopped my periods and cramping completely and drastically improved my quality of life. I went off the DEPO, because my fiance was stationed overseas and there was no point to be on it if he would not be around for a couple years. I went back on it in December 2015 a month before he was coming home. It was TERRIBLE!!!! I would have my period for 3 consecutive weeks. I would be good for 1 week and then it would start again. It was so frequent that I wouldn't even trust the week I didn't have it. I went off of it in December 2016. I will NEVER go back on DEPO"

KCHS1369 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"UPDATE: I wrote on here March 7,2017 complaining of bleeding since January, it is now April 26,2017 and I'm STILL bleeding. Almost 5 months!!! I only had one shot and I'm bleeding for this long... Anyone who has experienced this, how long did it take for the bleeding to stop? Did you period go back to normal?"

Jadeb April 26, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I first got Depo 4 years ago March 2013.... my periods disappeared completely... yes.. I've had no period for 4 years. It's hard to say any other symptoms at the time as I was on other meds as well. But I've just got off it for the first time March 2017 and the side affects getting off are terrible! I haven't stopped a mix of spotting and well lots of brown and black blood. I'm in a new relationship and we can't even have sex. I've had mood swings, Nausea, extremely sore breast, cramps and omg the acne. This drug was all well and good until I realised some of my issues the past couple yrs could have very much so been this drug. I've been referred to a gyn for abnormal issues such as post coital bleeding (b4 getting off depo) and pain in ovaries."

Yolo0987 April 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got my 1st shot Feb-2016. My tubes are tied but Dr. recommended I get it to help stop cramps I'd get prior to the shot. Bled the first 3 months after the shot & it didn't help so I asked my Dr if I needed it again. He said to try it for 6 months and stop if it didn't help. Got my 2nd shot May-2016 bled for that 6 months. Then I stopped as it never helped cramps. Its now April-2017 and I still have side effects-Mood Swings that are destroying my marriage. Depression, anxiety, headaches-. I've lost 32 lbs-(only weighed 122 prior to shot)dizziness, fatigue, acne, no sleep or too much- feelings of going crazy, cramps worse then before. Was told with regular period shot will leave. "

Katkai (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I only had one shot in august 2016. I did not go back for my second shot I had a really bad experience on the depo, from hair fall, weight gain, depression to lower sex drive, all in the first 3 months of using this. Even though I didn't go back I'm still bleeding everyday, it's not heavy bleeding but it still takes a lot of money out of your pocket to constantly buy buy pantyliners. This week I started to get this bubbly feeling in abdomen, lower back pain, gassiness, constipation. So I'm going to a doctor to get it checked out it. Could have turn into something much serious as I started to bleed more. I would not recommend this shot or even the implanon."

LYNNIC (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"To tell my experience to you girls would take a whole page. I do not recommend this birth control to anyone unless the research all the side effects. I had a miscarriage afterwards my husband and I decided we didn't want anymore children. We already have 3 kids and 2 miscarriages. Two weeks after my D & CI asked my dr for the depo shot. Huge mistake, I didn't ask for the pill because I had gotten pregnant before on sprintec. My experience has been horrible acne. I usually have very good skin. I have gained 7 pounds and my hair is shedding like crazy. The worst part is I have been bleeding for 10 weeks. My dr gave me a pill to stop the bleeding but it hasn't helped. As soon as I think the spotting is done I get a gush."

KenzeeTo April 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is Betty Lue 2017Just to follow up on my post a couple days ago I got admitted to the hospital yesterday April 3, 2017 for a critical low blood level . Had to get transfuse 2 units now the doctor wants to give me more because it is still critically low. Level went down to 6 .Still bleeding from depo. This drug need to be off the market. All other birth control if you stop using it it will start to ware off but depo can linger in your body for weeks and months. This is very sad. I saw my GYN on April 20th and he decided to do a D&C . It was best decision ever after procedure I bleed out what was left the 3 hours later it changed to spotting then light red spotting now today is April 8th no spotting . So get D&C if ur still bleedin"

Betty- lue 2017 April 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started my shot October 2016 and started bleeding December 2016. Up until now (April 2017) I've been bleeding. Today was my 3rd shot and I hope I stop bleeding. If you can't deal with bleeding forever don't get this. Not worth I wish I didn't listen to my friend I am sick of bleeding"

Honna3x April 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Long story, I've had extreme non stop bleeding, intense cramps, mood swings, low sex drive , massive amount of money on pads. And I'm 20. I'm switching to an IUD."

HappyCamperNotSoHappy April 4, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the depo shot on the way out the door of the hospital after having my daughter. I wasn't good at taking a pill everyday so I thought this sounded good. Like others, I have been bleeding for 8 weeks straight. I had horrible mood swings, depression, and increased anxiety. No desire for sex and really my ability to have sex has been limited. I went to the obgyn for a pap smear and she said my cervix is friable and very thin and so it everything in my vagina so sex is very painful. I believe the hormones from the depo did this. I also have a lot of nausea and am sure I have gained weight. I have lower back pain and abdominal cramping. Causes bone loss which runs in family."

Icantfindanickname April 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the depot shot right after my third child. We decided no kids for a while. Got my first shot had my cycle for 5 weeks! Constant PMS, I'm anemic so I was always cold. Always got at night. Weight gain and I'm already a BBW. So sex life stopped completely. Was not interested at all even when I was off. So I got the second shot cause the doctor said it will get shorter. LIES! Had my cycle for 3 weeks. Still no sex life. Stopped for two days. Then started again plus severe cramps and clotting. Going on 4 weeks now. This shot broke up my relationship because I could be intimate with my fiance. Yah it stops u from getting prego. But it also stops your sex life too. Depo sucks big time."

Lily1989 April 4, 2017