User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

3.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 152 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I first got Depo 4 years ago March 2013.... my periods disappeared completely... yes.. I've had no period for 4 years. It's hard to say any other symptoms at the time as I was on other meds as well. But I've just got off it for the first time March 2017 and the side affects getting off are terrible! I haven't stopped a mix of spotting and well lots of brown and black blood. I'm in a new relationship and we can't even have sex. I've had mood swings, Nausea, extremely sore breast, cramps and omg the acne. This drug was all well and good until I realised some of my issues the past couple yrs could have very much so been this drug. I've been referred to a gyn for abnormal issues such as post coital bleeding (b4 getting off depo) and pain in ovaries."

Yolo0987 April 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got my 1st shot Feb-2016. My tubes are tied but Dr. recommended I get it to help stop cramps I'd get prior to the shot. Bled the first 3 months after the shot & it didn't help so I asked my Dr if I needed it again. He said to try it for 6 months and stop if it didn't help. Got my 2nd shot May-2016 bled for that 6 months. Then I stopped as it never helped cramps. Its now April-2017 and I still have side effects-Mood Swings that are destroying my marriage. Depression, anxiety, headaches-. I've lost 32 lbs-(only weighed 122 prior to shot)dizziness, fatigue, acne, no sleep or too much- feelings of going crazy, cramps worse then before. Was told with regular period shot will leave. "

Katkai (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I only had one shot in august 2016. I did not go back for my second shot I had a really bad experience on the depo, from hair fall, weight gain, depression to lower sex drive, all in the first 3 months of using this. Even though I didn't go back I'm still bleeding everyday, it's not heavy bleeding but it still takes a lot of money out of your pocket to constantly buy buy pantyliners. This week I started to get this bubbly feeling in abdomen, lower back pain, gassiness, constipation. So I'm going to a doctor to get it checked out it. Could have turn into something much serious as I started to bleed more. I would not recommend this shot or even the implanon."

LYNNIC (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"To tell my experience to you girls would take a whole page. I do not recommend this birth control to anyone unless the research all the side effects. I had a miscarriage afterwards my husband and I decided we didn't want anymore children. We already have 3 kids and 2 miscarriages. Two weeks after my D & CI asked my dr for the depo shot. Huge mistake, I didn't ask for the pill because I had gotten pregnant before on sprintec. My experience has been horrible acne. I usually have very good skin. I have gained 7 pounds and my hair is shedding like crazy. The worst part is I have been bleeding for 10 weeks. My dr gave me a pill to stop the bleeding but it hasn't helped. As soon as I think the spotting is done I get a gush."

KenzeeTo April 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is Betty Lue 2017Just to follow up on my post a couple days ago I got admitted to the hospital yesterday April 3, 2017 for a critical low blood level . Had to get transfuse 2 units now the doctor wants to give me more because it is still critically low. Level went down to 6 .Still bleeding from depo. This drug need to be off the market. All other birth control if you stop using it it will start to ware off but depo can linger in your body for weeks and months. This is very sad. I saw my GYN on April 20th and he decided to do a D&C . It was best decision ever after procedure I bleed out what was left the 3 hours later it changed to spotting then light red spotting now today is April 8th no spotting . So get D&C if ur still bleedin"

Betty- lue 2017 April 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started my shot October 2016 and started bleeding December 2016. Up until now (April 2017) I've been bleeding. Today was my 3rd shot and I hope I stop bleeding. If you can't deal with bleeding forever don't get this. Not worth I wish I didn't listen to my friend I am sick of bleeding"

Honna3x April 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Long story, I've had extreme non stop bleeding, intense cramps, mood swings, low sex drive , massive amount of money on pads. And I'm 20. I'm switching to an IUD."

HappyCamperNotSoHappy April 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the depo shot on the way out the door of the hospital after having my daughter. I wasn't good at taking a pill everyday so I thought this sounded good. Like others, I have been bleeding for 8 weeks straight. I had horrible mood swings, depression, and increased anxiety. No desire for sex and really my ability to have sex has been limited. I went to the obgyn for a pap smear and she said my cervix is friable and very thin and so it everything in my vagina so sex is very painful. I believe the hormones from the depo did this. I also have a lot of nausea and am sure I have gained weight. I have lower back pain and abdominal cramping. Causes bone loss which runs in family."

Icantfindanickname April 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the depot shot right after my third child. We decided no kids for a while. Got my first shot had my cycle for 5 weeks! Constant PMS, I'm anemic so I was always cold. Always got at night. Weight gain and I'm already a BBW. So sex life stopped completely. Was not interested at all even when I was off. So I got the second shot cause the doctor said it will get shorter. LIES! Had my cycle for 3 weeks. Still no sex life. Stopped for two days. Then started again plus severe cramps and clotting. Going on 4 weeks now. This shot broke up my relationship because I could be intimate with my fiance. Yah it stops u from getting prego. But it also stops your sex life too. Depo sucks big time."

Lily1989 April 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had the depo July 28th 2016 it's now 2nd of April 2017 have constantly bleed the whole time in pads 24/7 it's costs a absolute fortune ... the depo has really messed me up .. the side effects are really bad .. like mood swings etc .. worst mistake ever !!!"

Kadence91 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worse Decision I made. I got my first shot on January 6th 2017. Since then I've been bleeding heavy with big clots coming out at times. I've been having mood swings and no sex life. I've been spending so much money on pads. I should sue the company for reimbursement . I am in pads 24 hours a day that my vaginal can't get a break. It's ridiculous. I regret even starting . I was supposed to go back for my second shot on March 30th 2017 but did not go and now still bleeding with no end in site. I'm super anemic . I can't take this any more. This drug is not a good choice for most women, some women take it and it's fine but for the most part most have terrible reaction. I would not recommend trying it."

Betty lue 2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I don't know how much money my doctor get for the prescribing this bad birth control shot to me .I hope it's worth it .I hate it have bleeding non stop, mood swings, hot flashes .She did not even worn me about side effect."

Miserabla (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"OK SO IF YOU DON'T LISTEN TO THESE HORRIBLE REVIEWS AND YOU GET THE SHOT ANYWAY, YOU'RE A NEW KIND OF SILLY. I got my first depo shot in April 2016. I started to notice a slight loss of sex drive after a few weeks. I then started bleeding moderately about 4 weeks in & I never stopped bleeding (I'd go for a maximum of 2 days without bleeding). Some days were light and only required a panty liner, some were heavy and required a super-plus tampon change every hour. I went back for a second shot in July 2016 because my Dr. said it was just my body getting used to the shot. Guess what? That was rubbish. I now go a max of one week between bleeding and it's been almost 9 months since my last shot HAHA I want to sue the creators of this drug"

LetsSueDepoProvera March 30, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took the shot on November 4th, 2016. I bled on and off for a good part of the 3 months that I was on the shot. My doctor prescribed me some blood thinners and one other kind of medication that was supposed to stop the bleeding, but nothing really helped. The shot would have run out on February 4th, but I got my period again on February 9th and it hasn't stopped to this day: March 29 (almost two months). I don't know what to do, my doctor seems clueless. I want to be on birth control and pills worked for me in the past but I'm afraid to take any more medication right now."

Saricam March 29, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took the depo shot for the first time earlier this year. Completely changed me my personality and my body. I break out easily I bleed all the time . I spot all the time! Made me bi polar and just overall horrible. When will it wear off?! When will I get my normal period and be back to normal?! I've been off 3 months now."

Chris8169993 March 29, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This was the worst thing ever! I had hot flashes my period was non stop I just bled for months. And the worst thing was I had a low libido I was not interested in sex and could not get wet when aroused and I was only 19! This shot was terrible."

Floral59068 March 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I gave birth in January 2017, went to the doctor 2 week after to talk about getting my tubes tied and that I been bleeding since birth. He asked about birth control. I said I wasn't up for anymore pregnancy. He got up and right away and gave me the depo shot. I thought my bleeding from giving birth was just about to end than suddenly after the show I been bleeding for 8 weeks. It is so frustrating. I have epilepsy and the frustration is causing seizure symptoms."

Frustmomma March 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I do not recommend this shot to anyone! I have only had one injection. Had a period 3 weeks after getting the shot and period lasted 3 weeks. 3 weeks later I have my period again and it is going on 6 weeks now. Goes from dark brown blood to bright red blood. Light to heavy then back to light. I will NEVER get this again. I called my doctor and she said it is normal. Um bleeding nonstop for 6+ is not normal!!!!"

LainaD March 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So after having my son in 2012 I decided to go on the depo. No one bothered to tell my it would kill my calcium levels. That my hair and teeth would start to fall out. And that after going off the depo not only would I bleed for 55 days after going off of it but that every month after, I'd have excruciating cramps severe hip and pelvic pain. And have to change my pad/tampon every hour or else I'd be sitting in my own blood. Its not been a year since going off of it and NOTHING is any better."

MomOfOne2012 March 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After not being on Birth Control since I was 19 years old & "considered" dating men I took the Shot in September 2016 just to play it safe. I bled for 1 month straight, then nothing the next month, then bled whole month in December. I said NO to getting it again as it made me feel bizarre. Well....I haven't stopped bleeding since. Massive amounts of blood clotting & 36864157963 Tampons & Pads later, swollen 10lb weight gain, headaches, mad burning cramps, melasma on my face and an atrocious attitude directly from HELL still bleeding something fierce. This "wonder shot" should come with a lifetime supply of Femme Products & masseuse named Hans. I was prescribed Provera yesterday. Dear Lord let it work! ! DO NOT TAKE THIS FORM OF CONTROL"

Cranky in Colorado March 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My experience is definitely not common, but after my first shot, I bled for 7 days (shortest and lightest period I've ever had) and I haven't had a period since. I tried this after a nightmarish experience of months of nonstop bleeding and cramping on the pill. My periods were usually ridiculously heavy and lasted for an average of 11 days (why I started birth control in the first place) and depo has given me a normal/gone period for the first time ever. I love it."

Clearlyodd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started depo Dec. 19, 2016 and everything was going good until January 9, 2017 when I started my period and haven't stopped. It is now March 7, 2017. I'm not bleeding heavy, it's more like spotting but for the past couple days it's been heavier similar to a period and I'm just so over it. I'm not going back for a second shot which is due this month, I just want to know if someone else experienced this and how long did the bleeding last? And did your periods go back to normal?? I miss only bleeding for 6-7 days "

Jadeb (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started my DEPO shot January 25 2017 which was 2 days after my period ended. My next period was due on the 15th. And I've been bleeding every since. Today makes 21 consecutive days I've been bleeding. It's making me dehydrated and I'm already anemic. I'm supposed to go back in April but they will not be seeing me. I really hope I don't bleed these whole 3 months. This stops me from being intimate with my partner. DO NOT GET THIS SHOT."

Anonymous1996 March 7, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've gotten 5 shots and I'm still bleeding, when will it end"

nihilego (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on depo six years prior to me getting pregnant I didn't see a period but twice the entire time I missed one shot and boom here comes baby After having my little I decided to give it another try on Dec 5.2016 I received my shot it's now March 2 and I have yet to stop bleeding I've gained 13lbs in a months time it's heavy I'm constantly taking showers and changing pads hot flashes and mood swings are ridiculous I do not recommend this contraceptive at all don't do it please"

Budda264 March 2, 2017