User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

3.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 145 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I got my 1st depo injection in the middle of June. I started bleeding in the middle of July and didn't stop until the one week after my 2nd injection. One week prior to the date my 2nd injection was due I started bleeding like a period. My bleeding has stopped for the most part. I get a little bit of traces here and there but nothing too noticeable. The two months of bleeding was worth it to make this monthly delight end."

Natalee C September 26, 2016

"I was given the depo to slow the bleeding of my heavy periods because I am anemic. I have only taken one shot and am due for the second in a week or so, I will be refusing to have it. I have been bleeding for over a month non stop. Horrific cramps in my abdomen, extremely heavy bleeding, and blood clots almost the size of golf balls. I am suprised I still have a boyfriend considering the mood swings and lack of b attention he gets since I've been on the depo. I DO NOT recommend this product."

ROXYJ4 September 26, 2016

"This is my third time using the depo, in between children. After reading comments I thought I'd share. When I have my first shot I bleed continuously with cramps and I suffer migraines for a couple of months but then after the second or third it stops altogether with occasional spotting. Now for me whose normal periods are extremely heavy for four days, with cramps, back ache and migraines lasting longer I know it's worth the two months of a normal bleed for however long I'm on the depo for with just spotting. It's just a matter of waiting it out for the effects to start. I haven't had a migraine in over a month, I've spotted once, I've had no cramps for two. This time round I'm just coming up to my fourth shot"

K87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2016

"I started the depo in 2010 I stopped because I became pregnant. After I had my daughter I went back on. While on it I suffered from migraines that would last for days. I would miss work and school. I stopped again because of the migraines.. I have been bleeding for over a month.. I try to find out answer why this was happening but no one understands me.."

Vimper September 17, 2016

"my period hasn't stopped for 5 months"

meryen September 14, 2016

"If I could rate depo in the negatives, I would. On my first round, I bled very little, but the cramping I experienced was so bad that I could not get out of bed. I would lay in bed at night sobbing because it hurt so bad. Near the end of the first shot, I began bleeding heavily and constantly. I went and received a second shot, hoping it would stop the bleeding, but it hasn't. I've now been bleeding for over a month, every single day. Some days it is light, others it is extremely heavy, but it is constant bleeding. I am also still having extreme cramps. I've also lost over 30 pounds. I would not recommend Depo to anyone. My life has been hell since receiving my first shot."

Anon146205 September 7, 2016

"I went on depo for two shots (6 months). When the first shot started wearing off there was an incredible amount of blood. Thank goodness it was near the end of the work day and I was wearing black pants, the amount of blood was beyond what I ever thought I could bleed. When the shot started wearing off (happening right now) the amount of blood that I am bleeding is extreme; soaking an entire pad in an hour for the past four days. If this continues I am going to have to go to the doctor regarding the amount of blood loss. I don't plan on going on the shot again."

Anonymous August 29, 2016

"So I've had two shots so far My period has been heavy when I get it and I spot all month long. I've experienced depression in the past and it seems like it's gotten worse on the shot. I've actually attempted suicide since I've started the shot.my sex drive is crap and my mood swings are crazy. I don't recommend this shot to anyone"

Kendra Y August 28, 2016

"I took the shot for about a year but had to come off of it due to medical problems. While on the shot I bled very little if at all. After I came off of it, it's been 6 months and there hasn't been a day where I've stopped bleeding heavily. It's been a 24/7 period, everyday, since I came off of the shot. It also caused massive weight loss for me, nausea, and drowsiness. If you're thinking about taking it, there is no positive reason to, it doesn't keep you from becoming pregnant and although it gets rid of your period while you're on it, once you come off of the shot your period will not stop for months."

Jenna P. August 25, 2016

"I've now had 2 depo shots. About 4 weeks into my second shot and I've been bleeding now for 14 days. It's weak but just isn't stopping. It's not painful but more annoying than anything. Experiencing ongoing mood swings and gained 5kg in first 2months with no other change to diet/exercise. Unsure if I need to keep taking the shot to let my body adjust or to stop now. Have read stories of getting pregnant later can be much harder after depo too. Lots of uncertainty, wish I had researched more before starting and perhaps tried the iud first."

Dani p (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

"I'm 31 and this was my first time getting the depo shot. I had a period for 2 weeks, light flow, the first month and continued to have periods the following months, each lasting 5-7 days. It killed my sex drive and now, with the drug completely out of my system, I am having another period and my last period ended less than a week ago. I don't recommend using the depo shot."

Kikijiji (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

"My first depo shot was in feb and it was fine, I got my second shot and I was period free for about a week. That was when the constant period started. I got a third shot thinking I need to ride this out but my period hasnt stopped since the second shot that was over 4 months ago. I got the shot originally so I didnt have to deal with a period because I have PCOS that makes me sick, have heavy periods, ache and have cramps that feel like I was punched in the stomach. I wanted to get away from all that but now I regret getting the shot I take more time off uni and work because I get all the symptoms of my PCOS regularly. I regret agreeing to start depo and will never go on it again."

Laress (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

"I read these terrible reviews before I got the DEPO shot but got the shot anyway in June 2016, it's August 2016 now and I haven't stopped bleeding since I got the shot. I'm bleeding so hard some days that I soak through a tampon in fifteen minutes! Ruined so many underwear bleeding through...spent so much money on tampons. Other days I just spot but I regret my decision to get the DEPO shot. At least with my period I had 21 days of no blood, now I have zero days of no blood. Do not get Depo shot ever!"

DO NOT DEPO!!!! August 18, 2016

"So the first month was good not only did my period come in a month but it only lasted a few days (my periods before then last 8 days) after the 1st month I didn't have a period for 2 months which was awesome...but I also noticed after the first month I became severely depressed and moody, I would get emotional over everything I even contemplated suicide...and I have been suicidal in the past but the shot made those horrible feelings come back AGAIN! The shot made me feel sad and tired almost ever other day and another huge CON was that it made me dry, I couldn't get wet at all during Sex and I could never get arroused and I was never arroused. and sex for me was not Pleasurable..I did not like depo at all!"

Cristinanagirl August 16, 2016

"Hi. I have used the depo since May 2008 after my second child was born. It's easy only every 3 months and haven't had much problems. A little weight gain ( about 10 pounds) haven't had any spotting or periods for the last 8 yrs but at 29 yrs old I do still have mild acne due to the depo. Works different for everyone."

Udliketakno (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2016

"Was bribed with a 20$ smiths gift card and free depo to use depo and be a depo guinea pig. I started depo march 31st 2016. The first month no problems. Second month, spotting and a light period every other day. Third month, mood swings, hormonal acne, heavy periods, nausea, vitamin deficiencies, low on iron. One day I put a super tampon in with a pad under it, went to work right after and bled through my underwear and pants at work, this was not even ten minutes after getting to work. Had to go home very embarrassed. Soaked through pad after pad after pad. Again had to leave for very light headed and nauseas, found out I my vitamins were low. Bled the entire third month. So I decided not to get the second shot. Have been bleeding sinceJune"

Chelseypoulson August 14, 2016

"I had the shot March 20th 2016. I had 2 weeks before the bleeding started. At first it was spotting, but every day. Then it was heavier bleeding. Then it got so heavy I was changing an ultra tampon every 45m to 2h, even at night. I was at my doctors exhausted from lack of sleep, crying, anemic, with hormonal acne, horrible back pain from constant period pain, and terrible mood swings. I only had the 1 shot. I refused any more. It's currently August and I am still bleeding. There is no sign of it ending!!! I would not have this shot again, even if they paid me!!!"

Figs (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2016

"I wanted to go on the shot because the ease of only having to go to the doctor every 3 months and the chance of not having periods anymore were really attractive to me. So far ive only gotten my first shot and i can say without a doubt that i never want to go back for my 2nd one. I have had nonstop bleeding for TWO MONTHS. I cant have sex because i bleed too much which is ridiculous since the reason i got the shot was to have sex! My doctor never explained just how much people actually bleed on the depo shot and how common it is! If i knew id bleed everyday consistently for months on end i wouldve ran out of that office! I can only hope these symptoms will go away once the final 3rd month is over...."

Mandeee August 4, 2016

"Had the shot in april, began bleeding straight away and after 5 weeks of bleeding, I had a day of bleeding so bad, I collapsed and was taken to A & E. My hg levels were so low, it will take six months of treatment to get them back to normal. I stopped bleeding after 8 weeks, then once it wore off in July, I started bleeding again and haven't stopped for 3 weeks up to now. I have gained weight, had severe sleep disturbance, had hair loss and stomach complaints since being on it. Never ever going nr this again!"

Istabraq789 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2016

"I have been on the Depo shot since February 2016. It is now Aigust 1st 2016 and I have not stoop bleeding since I began the shot. I do not recommend this product at all. Along with the bleeding I have felt pain in my uterus area. I received an ultrasound which was negative but I never had any problems until I started this shot. I am due for my third shot tomorrow but I am not getting it. I only got the second shot in hopes that my body would get used to the hormones but I cannot deal with another three months of steady constant bleeding. I was fine without it and had normal 3-5 day periods. With this I cannot differentiate if it's a period or just bleeding from the shot. I'll be so glad when this is completely out of my body."

JessMS.123456 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 1, 2016

"I got my depo shot the 27th and started bleeding the 18th, and it's been 2 weeks and still hasnt stopped. It cleared up my acne, but the bleeding is beyond annoying. What's the point of being on birth control if you're bleeding and can't have sex? I would not recommend this. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow to see what I can do about the bleeding, and then as soon as my third month is done I'm switching to the pill."

Avocado bitch August 1, 2016

"I had my first shot on June 7th, to help with the severe heavy bleeding of my period. I started bleeding the next day, and have not stopped. Sometimes it is heavier than other days. The reason this is birth control, is because sex is impossible. I will not be getting a second dose. I hope the bleeding will stop soon. I would not recommend this at all."

Frustrated in Det July 28, 2016

"I'm 13 years old and about 2 MO the ago I got the depo shot the first month was good I had my period fine!7days as I usually got but then in the second month my period bled out to 2 weeks and I stopped bleeding for two days after that, since then I've been bleeding non stop it's been 4 weeks that I'm bleeding now I'm a week away from my new shot but from what I'm seeing in reviews I don't want to go back and get it, I've had sex while bleeding because like they said I was only spotting I'd wake up and I'd have sex in the afternoon right after sex I would start bleeding, I'd wake up fine and then when I feel a wet spot hours later I'M BLEEDING! I'm only 13 I never plan on reproducing but now I'm scared of Birth control and will not go on it!"

Jayla (brooklyn) July 26, 2016

"I had problems with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) fainting around my period. I was tested negative for anemic. The doctors tested everything and everything was negative. I started the shot in March and it is now July and I gain 10ish pounds (which is common) and have not fainted at all! Great medicine. Works different for everybody."

Marie899 July 25, 2016

"Depo has been AWFUL,I had my child February 2016,bled that whole month frombthe baby,then had my regular period,started the shot in April and have bled every day since,its now July 17. I'm almost on my second pack of lo loestrin and it still hasn't stopped. "

Ammssxxo July 17, 2016