User Reviews for Phillips' Milk of Magnesia

Learn more about Phillips' Milk of Magnesia.

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 185 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Phillips' Milk of Magnesia to treat Constipation

"I have used this twice for constipation in pregnancy, and it works! I am quite small, so I only take about 20ml and still had quick relief. I have also found that it helps with indigestion pain."

PregnantAndBloated (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2017

"I took this a few hours ago and it helped a lot. I have been trying miralax the past few weeks and it didn't work as fast as this."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

"I suffer from IBS, and by suffer I mean between alternating IBS-d & IBS-c. It's a fun combination, said no one ever. In the last 5yrs, IBS-c symptoms are the most prevalent. Recently, I experienced SEVERE constipation (nearly 8+ days). I was terribly bloated, my abdomin was distended, had gas pains (under each side of my rib cage), and even chest pains. I took dulcolax for women at the onset of this situation. It barely worked. It did however cause me to curl up in the fetal position on a hotel floor room (I was traveling for business) for over 2.5hrs while grabbing my stomach in agony due to the severe cramping it caused. Cold sweats and crying out for my mom (at 33yrs old) accompanied the pain. So imagine my hesitation when my parents urged me to take M.O.M. while visiting for the holiday. Even with the fear of being curled up on the bathroom floor in my childhood home- I gave into my concerned parents recommendation of taking M.O.M. Night 1 - I was scared of cramping (even though the label clearly states - stimulant & cramp free) so I only took 45ml vs. 60ml prior to bed. I woke up and had success! Multiple BM's but still felt (knew) I was constipated. Night 2 - knowing I had not successfully passed everything- I took 60ml prior to bed. Within 2 hrs I had multiple (I mean multiple) BM's and still am today - over 36hrs later. I cannot say enough about M.O.M. it will most certainly become my go to - if this should happen again (which I know it will). It's effective and I did not experience any negative side effects! No cramping!"

not pregnant, just constipated (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

"I'm was constipated for six days and I had to take the max dose for three days for it to work.. Plus 3 Colace a day..It was definitely not "overnight relief" but was cramp free"

Mvufeycdolmg December 24, 2016

"I'm 8 weeks preg and couldn't able to move my bowel with hot drinks, colace, fruits,high fiber...stuck with feeling to go but not coming out for a week then I tried MOM which I have no experiences bf so I only took 30cc with warm cup of milk. I took MOM at 11pm and right at 12.30 it started working. Wow it work like champ I did get little cramp, a minute then that's all. It started with hard part and soft then diarrhea.. Took about 20 min done with job. Thank you MOM..I made right choice"

Yaly (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2016

"I was constipated for 5+ days. I have some general IBS problems but usually not this severe. This was my first time I have had to use a laxative. The constipation got to the point where it looked and felt like I was 3 months pregnant (no possibility of actually being pregnant). I took 2 does of 15 ml an hour apart before bed with 8oz of water with each dose. I took the lowest dose because I am a small female adult and did not want to over do it. I felt very slight cramping at night but overall it worked great! Very minimal pain, and I had a BM about 13 hours later (more than it says, but still worth it). The BM was fairly solid and full. I would highly recommend this product if you need a little help as it is gentle and it works!"

GetItOut (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

"I suffered from severe constipation. A week or more at times with not going; when I did it was like rabbit pellets. MOM works very well; but it was explosive pooping (make sure you drink lots of water with it). I wanted to poop, not have diarrhea for hours. I now changed my diet, lowered a constipation causing drug I am on for another condition, drink plenty of water, take olive oil, take pro & prebiotics, take cod liver oil, drink veggie smoothies, no more white bread or junk foods/sodas, exercise, meditate and stretch my muscles. MOM is not a long term solution... life style change is. Good luck to you."

I Pooped (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

"So a bit about me I am a regular guy, regular build, height, size. Aged 61 and a Leo (not that this makes a difference). When I say I'm a regular guy I mean that in the last 60 odd years I have been as regular as clockwork in the BM (Bowel Movement) department That was until last Saturday morning. WARNING GRAPHIC DETAILS FOLLOW: (Written in laymen's terms) Day 1: Saturday I awoke went to the loo, nothing happened! I sat there needing a wee and if you are like me during or shortly after I wee I poo. Not today! Got up off the loo and went about my day. Several times though the day I went and sat on the loo and tried to pee, with just a trickle for my efforts. I felt that I really needed a poo. As the day went on I felt almost as if each bum cheek was solid, I mean rock hard. (That's not good)I was thinking to myself. Still unable to poo and pushing on each bum cheek to try and move stuff about a bit in the hope that I might be able to squeeze a bit out. NOPE! Went to bed. Day 2: Sunday I awoke in the morning really really needing a wee and a poo. Still rock hard bum cheeks but now liquid poo was dripping/running out of my bum. This persisted throughout the day every time I sat on the loo. I spent four hours sitting there trying desperately to go the pain was so bad I was literally screaming in pain. The pain was situated mostly around my perineum. I would describe pain as having an elephant standing with its back legs on your dick and its front legs bouncing on your bladder OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOuch! This continued all day. I tried two table spoons of olive oil mixed with fresh lemon juice and Loads of water. NOTHING! Day 3: Monday Woke up went the loo worked on massaging each bum cheek had a small motion when I say small I mean the size of a pea. I was however able to pea (opps I mean pee) still rock hard impacted bum dripping with runny poo. I worked on each bum cheek rubbing and massaging as I sat on the loo for what seemed like most of the day gradually I was able to work most of it out as it became slightly softer. Day 4: Tuesday Woke up still unable to poo but weeing with ease when I needed to Bum cheeks felt normal (bit saggy as I'm getting older, I used to be such a fit tasty kind of guy with a great arse). Today I am getting worried as I have never had anything like this happen to me I have always been fit and active never taking any time off. I go on the internet and find this forum. After looking at loads of others I am not anti-meds but only use them as a last resort if all else seems to fail. (I am a forth degree Reiki Master Practitioner and a black belt so fairly fit most of life) I remember my mother used Milk of Magnesia so after reading the comments here went and got some and took 15ml at 17:00 (I did read the instructions but decided to take some) my thinking was before I go to bed wrong! Nothing happened so at 23:00 I took another 10ml and went bed. Day5: Wednesday I awoke feeling as I had done for the last 4 days still wanting a poo desperately wanting a poo and pissed off that the MOM had not worked yet. I sat on the loo had pee and and nothing! Went outside to inflate my wife's car tyre which has a very slow puncture so got the compressor out attached it to the valve and as I bent over I thought to myself I think I need to go to the loo. So slowly walked back indoors (no urgency at all) sat on the loo and my bum exploded in an instant with such force that it truly stunned me OMG! No pain. No cramp. No nothing; almost no sensation at all, except the most amazing feeling of not being full of poo (which I have been accused of on more than one occasion) (wrongly I have to say being a Leo apart from the last 5 poo filled days) Been twice again since this morning it's now 14:15 and having just finished this felt I had to say is fanbloodytastic. Be warned it can happen very very quickly and almost violently when it does, in my case without any warning and I'm happy to say without any pain or cramping at all (just lots and lots of noise and splashing and shouts from me (not of pain but of great relief. That must be the understatement of the year) 10/10 for Milk of magnesium Once again Mr Regular!"

Mr Regular (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

"I changed my diet about 6 months ago and just recently (the last month or so) have been experiencing constipation. Before this it had been very few and far between. Roughly every 3-4 days is when I would have a BM, not comfortable at all. I finally caved after having horrible bloating and pain at work today. I went to the drug store and picked up a bottle of MOM. I took 2 tbsp about 7pm. I didn't have any discomfort or gas but I couldn't sleep very well either. Finally about 1am, the blockage is gone and I'm so much more comfortable. I didn't experience any cramping and the beginning was still somewhat difficult to pass, it was soft but very bulky still. I don't feel any further urges to go to the toilet but it's only been 20 minutes."

Had2Go (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

"This is a great product, because I was constipated for 3 days. I took it at 10am, and it took effect at 5pm same day. I added cups of water and a lil prune juice and everything was good. I was constipated due to GERD antacids. I was glad there were no cramps.MOM is a life saver for us with but issues and digestion."

Shanwa (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

"I read comments here about MOM taking it too far in the reverse. The directions and some patience are very important factors. My mother is 101 so we are very careful. After many years of chronic constipation and emergency room visits where even the ER couldn't easily help, we learned MOM taken correctly gives gentle relief over the course of a day or so. Our doctor explained MOM pulls moisture into the bowel to give relief, so it makes sense people are giving themselves the reverse problem by being too much in a hurry. Can't say enough about this rediscovered old friend. It is the most natural choice."

HelpingItOut October 28, 2016

"I had severe constipation today and my stool was stuck I couldn't even sit down I had to pull what I could get out on my own in order to walk to get some milk of magnesia it helped me preety quickly I was so severely constipated I thought I was going to pass out as I was straining so badly I strongly recommend milk of magnesia it saved me a trip to the emergency room I will let other's no it's a terrific product for constipation thank you milk of magnesia you gave me the relief I needed after 6 hrs of extremely constipation I was in so much pain and you helped me get through it thank you so much I am so grateful for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

"Worked like a charm. No pain, just some warning cramps. Took 1.5tbps, worked in less than 3 hrs. Will use again"

Pooper Trooper (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2016

"I experience chronic constipation due to the medications I am on, if I don't take something, I cannot go! I use Milk of Magnesia for work days when I want to be in control of my bowels, as it is less "demanding" than stimulant laxatives. IMPORTANT! For best effects, take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with a full glass of water, the more the better. Depending on the condition of your bowels, it will kick in between 4 hours to 12 hours. I take the maximum recommended dosage and it will move my bowels enough to make me comfortable for a day or so. I use a stimulant laxative on weekends to flush my bowels out and prepare me for another week. This works for me well, personally."

Milford S. October 9, 2016

"I had been constipated for nearly four days. My stomach was cramping. I took 4 tablespoons and after 6 hours nothing. I then took another 4 tablespoons. My stomach began churning and gurgling at about the 8th hour. My first bm was semi solid. Them the flood gates opened. Almost watery stools. I've had to run to the toilet several times. Do not take this if you're going to be away from home. Also be careful coughing, sneezing, or passing gas. You may have an accident. Much better than being backed up and cramping."

Ireallyneededtogo (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 3, 2016

"I've been backed up for over a week. I took some M.O.M and it didn't work til 12 hours later."

KrissyJohnson325 September 19, 2016

"It works. Don't fart unless your able to change your pants right away if you know what I mean"

I farted (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

"I've never had problems with my bowel movements. However, I just had to have surgery and was taking a narcotic - mostly to sleep at night. I had a small bowel movement the third night home, but then felt horribly constipated. It was almost worse than the operation. It was painful, uncomfortable in my belly and bloating. I took olive oil, ate fruit, did all the things to get my body moving. I walked around for hours. Still, nothing. Finally, my mother came over with The Phillips Milk of M and I took the largest amount. Nothing right away. I became frustrated and took another two tsp. about three hours into waiting. Exactly six hours after I took the first dose my system finally kicked in - BIG TIME. It was really painful, but RELIEF."

Really worked! August 23, 2016

"I was constipated for 6 days. I tried 1/2 citrate magnesia which only made me move once with tiny balls..nothing else.i tried prunes, oatmeal, prunes blended in oatmeal, fig newtons, bran muffin, drinking 4 to 5 glasses of water 10 mins apart, walking and nothing..I was getting impacted.. I was considering taking an enema at this point but tried MoM instead. I took two full doses which equal eight tbsp.. This was suggested to me by a nurse who knows of my previous situation in which one full dose does not work for upon impaction. I drank two full glasses of water and followed with a probiotic after reading a doctor tell someone to follow MoM with a probiotic on healthtrap. it took about 6 hours and a few glasses of water and I can sleep now"

KimKJ August 23, 2016

"as an occasional user, MoM is the most dependable and gentle laxative I've ever used."

effective and gentle (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2016

"I never get constipated. I usually poop at least twice per day, so when I woke up yesterday and felt like I had to poop, but could not get it out, no matter how hard I pushed, I soon enough found myself in an immense amount of pain and discomfort. I ate oatmeal, a whole bag of frozen spinach doused in butter, and drank herbal tea, to no avail. After finding the helpful reviews on this board, I asked my fiancée to pick up some MoM for me, on his way home today. I took 4tbs at about 8:00pm and at around 10:30pm, I was finally able to poop! I've had a few explosive diarrheas since, but at this point, I do NOT care, it just felt so good to go! MoM tastes pretty vile, but it works!"

Girls Poop 2 August 12, 2016

"I had never been constipated before and was getting really Fed up. I was going to try MOM but my pharmacist recommend senokot along with lactulose. I tried these for a couple of days but neither was working. By day 6 I resorted to MOM knowing I had the following day off. I took 5tbsp at 12:00am and by 3:00am I had a normal gentle BM, with no cramping or side effects. Highly recommended!"

Cloudy123 August 4, 2016

"I was constipated for 3 days, very uncomfortable, in pain, so I figured I would give this a try. It worked wonderful. I took the highest dose, 4 tbsp, about 3 hours later I finally pooped, then pooped 3 more times through the day. Needless to say I felt much better! I definitely recommend this, even for the worst constipation, it definitely cleans you out. Oh yeah, I bought the mint flavor, which isn't that bad, you just have to get past the chalkiness of it. Just shoot it down quick. I will be using this again for future problems, maybe try another flavor, I would imagine they are all probably chalky."

No more poop problems July 22, 2016

"I am 21 and have struggled with IBS-C for two years now. My doctor has me do colon cleanses when I am severely constipated. So I was prescribed to take the 4 tablespoons of MOM. It took a little over 5 hours to kick in and when it does you'll know. The first few hours were awful with the gurgling and cramping in my stomach. At one point I was going to take more because it seemed to not be working. DONT. It will work and you will feel so much better !"

IBS-C Help July 16, 2016

"This was my first time using Milk of Mag for 3-4 days of constipation. I took a small amount 1 tablespoon the 1st night (I only weigh 108 lbs) with no results. The next day I tried 1 1/2 tbpns also without any help for my ah "problem". That night I took 2 tablespoons and oh boy the next day I suffered! I finally went but towards the end it was mostly water and my stomach cramped up like crazy every time. Not fun. I think I would only use this again if I was severely constipated. Good luck!"

Anonimal (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016