User Reviews for Phillips' Milk of Magnesia

Learn more about Phillips' Milk of Magnesia.

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 184 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Phillips' Milk of Magnesia to treat Constipation

"I am 21 and have struggled with IBS-C for two years now. My doctor has me do colon cleanses when I am severely constipated. So I was prescribed to take the 4 tablespoons of MOM. It took a little over 5 hours to kick in and when it does you'll know. The first few hours were awful with the gurgling and cramping in my stomach. At one point I was going to take more because it seemed to not be working. DONT. It will work and you will feel so much better !"

IBS-C Help July 16, 2016

"This was my first time using Milk of Mag for 3-4 days of constipation. I took a small amount 1 tablespoon the 1st night (I only weigh 108 lbs) with no results. The next day I tried 1 1/2 tbpns also without any help for my ah "problem". That night I took 2 tablespoons and oh boy the next day I suffered! I finally went but towards the end it was mostly water and my stomach cramped up like crazy every time. Not fun. I think I would only use this again if I was severely constipated. Good luck!"

Anonimal (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

"I've had issues with constipation since October 2015. The doctor had me on Miralax daily until I got into the Gastroenterologist in April. He gave me samples of Amitiza and told me to try it on the weekend. It was horrible cramps, gas and bloating. So I went back to Miralax. Then my regular doctor suggested Milk of Magnesia. I took some before I went to bed last night 7/4/16. I was awakened at 4:30 a.m. with pain worse then labor pains. I filled the toilet bowel with what looked like snack pack chocolate pudding. Terrible gas pains stomach just knotting up and turning. I have my colonoscopy scheduled for 7/8/16. I hope the prep they gave me doesn't have the same affect on me. My stomach is still messed up 24 hours later."

Nettie2016 (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

"I'm very pleased with the outcome of this medication although it did not work as fast as I had anticipated. I had constipation for 2 days and the prescribed medication for constipation use because of opioids did not work, so I reached for the MoM. I took 4 tablespoons last night and nothing happened. Finally took another 4 tablespoons this afternoon and it worked in an hour. No cramping. Very gentle. Thank you MoM"

Anonymous June 19, 2016

"Taking pain killers for shingles I was constantly bloated and in pain with constipation. In fact my stools where impacted. I tried several laxatives to no avail. Then I remembered as a child mum giving us milk of magnesia. So got a bottle from chemist. I did as the instructions said 1 5mils. It worked a treat."

JanetMF June 15, 2016

"I suffer from chronic constipation ever since I was a toddler (now 25 yrs). My boyfriend is a nurse and suggested this to me about 7 months ago. It definitely works, although each time has been a slightly different experience. It doesn't work well on a full stomach I have noticed. Don't drink too much water either or your butt may explode. I took it today after being constipated for 3 days at about 1pm and had my first poop at about 3:30pm. It is now 5:50pm and I've been to the bathroom every 10 minutes pooping out straight water. I have had perfect poops with this stuff and also experiences like this with mass amounts of diarrhea. I also have suffered nausea today and a couple of other times. My lower abdomen is also sensitive to the touch"

Missy97404 June 10, 2016

"I used to use this for years. But recently I have been constipated due to my medications. I bought a bottle and when I used it (according to instructions 2 tbsp for an adult) it made me very ill. I was nauseated and I was vomiting. I thought it was just a bad bottle, so I went and bought another one and the same thing happened when I used it. I don't know if they changed something with the ingredients but this is the first time this stuff made me sick."

Cat22556 May 29, 2016

"Been constipated for 2 days now. Bought the cherry flavor and took the indicated at night by the morning have never felt so good felt the bloating go away also. Poop my guts out "

Bananaana May 19, 2016

"Clonidine for high blood pressure works great but causes severe constipation.My doctor did not help.I tried this last night and it was a lifesaver. I had been in so much pain that I was considering an er visit."

sunnygardens May 12, 2016

"I was constipated for over a week and took 4 table spoons. Works like a charm. It's 3am right now and I am sharting and exploding lol"

notsoslimshady (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

"I have been backed up for 3 days, and I am miserable. Took MoM yesterday, and nothing. Horrible cramping and lots of gurgling in belly. Called off sick 2 day and am getting ready to take second dose. Have no appetite at all. I pray this works..."

poopless in ohio April 29, 2016

"I was taking pain medication because of tonsilectomy and hadn't had any bowel movements in 5 Nights I took 6 TSP on the 5th night and went to sleep with nothing in the morning,I then drank some water and had another 6 TSP in the morning and waiting 1 hour which promptly has been clearing my bowels.I haven't pooped myself like many others"

Slurp April 19, 2016

"Constipated. Took recommended dose, went to bed, slept well, got up, had coffee, breakfast, off to the bathroom. Regular evacuation, like old times, no problems, soft, controlled!! No problems, back to regular, once a day, like times past!! Life saver, love Milk of Magnesia!! Will use again, when needed, if constipation is more than two/three days long."

UncleRemus April 18, 2016

"I have been constipated for 20 YEARS due to a brain injury/nerve damage. Bottom line is I don't have a bowel movement without "help" EVER. I've usually go around 2-3 weeks without having one. Anyway this stuff is a lifesaver. I've tried everything. It's reliable and it doesn't hurt like other laxatives do. There can be slight cramping but that's to be expected when you haven't pooped in 20 days. Anyway I take it on an empty stomach, followed by a large glass of water (or three). The more water you drink the more violent it will be but I don't care as long as I feel better. I take it during the day, not before bed. This way there are no accidents and it works much faster (in the time it takes to start 'going' AND the time it lasts)"

Pokey pooper (taken for 10 years or more) April 16, 2016

"Oh my word! This stuff saved my life. It took the maximum 6 hr time to work. And it only softened half the load the other half was a runny nightmare. I compared my constipation pain level to having a child. I was in the bathroom 20 times thinking.... This is it!! This is it!!!! Just to be let down and hurting with more cramping. But when it finally softened it up just enough to get that biggie out the rest came tumbling right after. Got to love methadone. I haven't been taking in as much water as I should and have been eating way to much I've cream. (Hint, dairy makes matters worse). What a horrible night. Give it time. It'll work one way or another lol"

Runner Brown (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2016

"Had not had a movement for 3 days and felt pressure in stomach. Took large dose at bedtime. It worked very well, in fact too well. It worked while I was sleeping, first time I've soiled my bed since infancy."

Rsattahip March 8, 2016

"OMG - This stuff took about 1.5 hours to kick in. The 1st - three movements were ok. BUT, they have not stopped since and have become violent in nature. We are 16 hours into this butt explosive nightmare. I would highly NOT recommend this product to anyone. Nor will I buy it again. HORRIBLE - yes HORRIBLE"

Pain Train March 7, 2016

"Was constipated for 2 days on vacation. Took 1.5tbs Milk of M at 6pm and another 1tbs at 7:00am. I was able to go in the morning at 8am several times. It was easy and not watery just normal soft deposite. No cramps and no nausea. I think the people on here who got diarrhea and nausea after taking it took too much. Don't take more than it says. Taking half a bottle is going to make you have bad diarrhea. This was recommend to me by a doctor in the family who specializes in digestive system health."

TexasHappy March 7, 2016

"Pain pain and more pain. Worked in about 1 hour ,but very painful."

am 1382 March 4, 2016

"Ummmm so I just took it for the first time.... And after reading the reviews I'm scared hahah. I'm wondering when it's gonna hit or if it will work! I mixed mine with yogurt and it wasn't so bad btw!"

Julebear February 14, 2016

"On pain meds after an auto accident I became constipated, no bowel movement for 3 days. Took 2 tbsp at 10pm. First bowel movement at 1:30 am, another at 3am. No cramping. Did get slightly nausea but well worth it to lose the pain, bloating and frustration of no being able to go."

MagnificentMissDi February 12, 2016

"I've tried everything and I mean, EVERYTHING. I have severe OIC and have discovered that I need "hydrating" laxatives. This is the best one I've tried that is reliable and predictable. I take it with lots of water. That's really important otherwise I will cramp and get nauseous. I also take it at night and in the morning after I'm up and moving around for about an hour I will "go". Sometimes in a severe bout of OIC, I may need the larger dose of 4TBL. Just remember... Lots of water with this. Good luck!"

Queen of constipation. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2016

"I have been dealing with increasingly stubborn constipation over the last 5 years and nothing physically can be found to account for it. I've tried all sorts of products, changing parts of my diet, lots of water and that only ever partially work but never a complete or proper emptying and usually once a week. Finally bought MoM on my GP's suggestion and took the one cap full. Next morning I went quite a bit and only felt partially empty and the stool was still very dry. However, after that first day I went for a whole week following I went like a normal person, completely emptied my bowel without any effort and the stool was soft with normal amount of water content in it. I haven't experience anything like that for at least 5 years. Buy it!"

Mr Chronically Full (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2015

"This stuff definitely works. I'm 27 weeks pregnant and have been backed up for the better part of the last two weeks. I'm scared to take anything as far as medications because this is my first and I don't want to chance anything, Like someone else said, take as recommended and drink water!! Don't over do it it may take as long at 6 hours. And DO NOT take of you have somewhere to be. I would describe this as cramp free for sure, but I would say you may be confused if you're peeing or not. You're probably not peeing, and it's definitely working. Will definitely be replacing my regular laxative!! Oh and it's a little chalky, but not terrible if you shoot it."

Elippman (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2015

"I was 7 days constipated and had tried EVERYTHING. I finally took 2 Tbsp Milk of Magnesia on day 7 at about 8:30 pm. By 10:00 I had a bowel movement, followed by another one the next night, and one the night after that. CAREFUL WITH DOESEAGE. Especially if you gotta go places! This gave me awful gas and I had the cramp free kind. I only took the minimum 2 TBSP only once and it worked like a charm, for 3 straight days!"

NameNotNecessary (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2015