User Reviews for Phillips' Milk of Magnesia

Learn more about Phillips' Milk of Magnesia.

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Phillips' Milk of Magnesia to treat Constipation

"Diagnosed over a year ago with Gluten Intolerance. When I eat anything with gluten I become bloated, and usually end up with awful diarrhea. The other night I ate what was supposed to be a gluten free sandwich; the cook screwed up. I expected the usual rush to the bathroom, except it didn't come. This time I was so constipated my pants wouldn't fit. MOM has has helped a bit. It took about 20 minutes before I ran to the bathroom. However, it has made me more gassy than anything; I'm scared to pass gas incase something else happens. My stomach and intestines sound like a warzone. It seems to help a bit, but has anyone else had the gas issue? Every time I go to the bathroom very little comes out, but it always follows a burst of gas."

GasBlast (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was backed up due to pain meds. Very uncomfortable. Took a full/big dose of MoM and drank a bunch of water. About 2-3 hours later, I had the most explosive diarrhea. It was AMAZING. I went from thinking I might have to go to ER to practically crying tears of joy and relief on the toilet while peeing out of my butt!!! Highly recommend this product to anyone who feels irregular . No cramps, no bad side effects. Just make sure you are near a toilet after you take it!!! Amen!"

Bonnie Nuggetz (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was constipated for about 5 days do to taking diet pills. I took MOM at about 1030pm at night I woke up at about 5 am rubbing my belly and thinking I can't believe this stuff hasn't kicked in. When I tell you that thought hadn't even left my mind yet it kicked in and with a bang!!!! I barely made it to the bathroom. I felt so much better even though I almost pooped on myself!!!!"

I'm so happy!!! April 23, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"works great I can't live with out it"

waverider007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was taking pain medication for a knee injury, and I suffered from severe constipation. When I say severe, I mean I could barely walk. It was so painful that I had to get my husband to help me off the toilet so I could curl up in bed in the fetal position. I couldn't eat anything either. My grandma recommended milk of magnesia. I sent my husband out to get me some, and I took the max dose that was allowed in a day. I was in pain for almost six hours before it started to kick in. It did soften my stool, but it was still painful coming out as I was EXTREMELY constipated. Then after the major bowel movement, I did have some diarrhea. MOM got the job done! I can't complain because the pain I was experiencing was almost unbearable."

LibraryLady90 March 10, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking opioids for knee surgery and they are the worst for causing constipation. Despite taking stool softeners, senna laxatives, drinking prune juice daily and a high fiber diet, I could not get anything more than a tiny pebble to come out, and that was after straining so hard I got dizzy. My 'roids were freaking out. Enemas sort of worked but they were very painful and I never felt completely empty afterward. Since I'll be on meds for a few weeks I can't rely on them as a solution. After about 5 days of rocks for guts I finally found some irritable bowel forums with people swearing by milk of magnesia. So my husband ran to the pharmacy for me. About 18 hours later the sky opened up and the angels sang. Such relief!"

Holly Goes Barely (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"2 yrs ago I suddenly became so constipated that I couldn't have gone using a jackhammer!! That's how bad it was but after using every OTC laxatives, enemas everything I couldn't go. SO I told my Dr what was going on and she prescribed Kristalose for 125.00 a month. No success in the beginning then got a tad better. Then I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism which slows everything down and was given medication for that. FINALLY I saw a commercial for MOM and realized I had not tried it before. SO I rushed out and got some. IT HAS CHARGE MY LIFE IN A GREAT WAY!!! No more pain as I had for not going for a week. No CRAMPING. Just stay close to home after use and it works. Sometimes faster than others, but IT WILL work. GOOD LUCK GUYS"

Skimberly (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Beware if you are on pain medicine. Sometimes it doesn't always work. After suffering from constipation, sorry if this is TMI by the way. I took 3 tbsp of MOM. Nothing happened, the second day I took 4 tbsp and that night suffered severe cramping. I also had a little stool come out with blood..needless to say I went to the ER as the pain grew and I couldn't go. I waited 4 hours, mind you I live in Canada. And there was a poor little girl who stopped breathing. I ended up leaving and purchasing a enema kit and also ducalax suppositoties just inbcase. I got home and within 5 min I had relief. Moral of the story: IF ON PAIN MEDS HAVE A BACK UP PLAN!"

Limisrose January 26, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have used this twice for constipation in pregnancy, and it works! I am quite small, so I only take about 20ml and still had quick relief. I have also found that it helps with indigestion pain."

PregnantAndBloated (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was constipated due to pain meds. PCP recommended Miralax. Made me very crappy and gassy. Then told me to try Amitiza or Movantik -- both are very $$$ even with insurance. Saw a GI and he recommended high fiber diet (basically done by mixing high fiber cereal with another tastier cereal) and then adding 30mL MOM. Nothing happened. Tried 45 and then 60 mL, but nothing. I hadn't gone properly in 7 weeks and felt bloated, so I drank a heap of MOM -- gives you fluid -- and 7-8 hrs later, WOW!! So much came out that I thought that I'd filled the entire bowl. Fortunately, it's a power flusher toilet. Took about 6 flushes but finally got it all down the drain. Felt so good. Now I won't wait as long. If no BM in 2 wks, drink an bottle & GO!"

Pooperama ala Mama January 19, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Recommended by my GI. 30 ml dose every AM very helpful, especially compared to $$$ prescription meds that my PCP recommended"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered from diverticulitis 15yrs ago. Had to have part of my sigmoid colon removed after it perforated, almost died from the infection.Things went well for 7yrs, until I had to have surgery again because of blockage due to stomach adhesions. Which they say is typical after that kind of surgery. In each of these incidents I was unable to poop and my stomach grew to the size of 2 watermelons! It was so painful. Well it happened again! I couldn't pass anything but a few hard marbles for 2wks! The pain and gas were horrible! I tried everything, Senokot, prunes, etc. I was getting really scared that what was left of my colon would explode and I would die! I took a dose of MOM and walla It worked! Be near a toilet for several hrs though!"

HappyPooper (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This worked well for me. I took the maximum dose and had a bowel movement about an hour later. Then several hours later, the flood gates opened. But better than the alternative unable to go and painfully stopped up. I take a prescription diet medicine and it severely dehydrates me. Sometimes I don't drink enough water."

SquirtyK (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this a few hours ago and it helped a lot. I have been trying miralax the past few weeks and it didn't work as fast as this."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffer from IBS, and by suffer I mean between alternating IBS-d & IBS-c. It's a fun combination, said no one ever. In the last 5yrs, IBS-c symptoms are the most prevalent. Recently, I experienced SEVERE constipation (nearly 8+ days). I was terribly bloated, my abdomin was distended, had gas pains (under each side of my rib cage), and even chest pains. I took dulcolax for women at the onset of this situation. It barely worked. It did however cause me to curl up in the fetal position on a hotel floor room (I was traveling for business) for over 2.5hrs while grabbing my stomach in agony due to the severe cramping it caused. Cold sweats and crying out for my mom (at 33yrs old) accompanied the pain. So imagine my hesitation when my parents urged me to take M.O.M. while visiting for the holiday. Even with the fear of being curled up on the bathroom floor in my childhood home- I gave into my concerned parents recommendation of taking M.O.M. Night 1 - I was scared of cramping (even though the label clearly states - stimulant & cramp free) so I only took 45ml vs. 60ml prior to bed. I woke up and had success! Multiple BM's but still felt (knew) I was constipated. Night 2 - knowing I had not successfully passed everything- I took 60ml prior to bed. Within 2 hrs I had multiple (I mean multiple) BM's and still am today - over 36hrs later. I cannot say enough about M.O.M. it will most certainly become my go to - if this should happen again (which I know it will). It's effective and I did not experience any negative side effects! No cramping!"

not pregnant, just constipated (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm was constipated for six days and I had to take the max dose for three days for it to work.. Plus 3 Colace a day..It was definitely not "overnight relief" but was cramp free"

Mvufeycdolmg December 24, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 8 weeks preg and couldn't able to move my bowel with hot drinks, colace, fruits,high fiber...stuck with feeling to go but not coming out for a week then I tried MOM which I have no experiences bf so I only took 30cc with warm cup of milk. I took MOM at 11pm and right at 12.30 it started working. Wow it work like champ I did get little cramp, a minute then that's all. It started with hard part and soft then diarrhea.. Took about 20 min done with job. Thank you MOM..I made right choice"

Yaly (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was constipated for 5+ days. I have some general IBS problems but usually not this severe. This was my first time I have had to use a laxative. The constipation got to the point where it looked and felt like I was 3 months pregnant (no possibility of actually being pregnant). I took 2 does of 15 ml an hour apart before bed with 8oz of water with each dose. I took the lowest dose because I am a small female adult and did not want to over do it. I felt very slight cramping at night but overall it worked great! Very minimal pain, and I had a BM about 13 hours later (more than it says, but still worth it). The BM was fairly solid and full. I would highly recommend this product if you need a little help as it is gentle and it works!"

GetItOut (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered from severe constipation. A week or more at times with not going; when I did it was like rabbit pellets. MOM works very well; but it was explosive pooping (make sure you drink lots of water with it). I wanted to poop, not have diarrhea for hours. I now changed my diet, lowered a constipation causing drug I am on for another condition, drink plenty of water, take olive oil, take pro & prebiotics, take cod liver oil, drink veggie smoothies, no more white bread or junk foods/sodas, exercise, meditate and stretch my muscles. MOM is not a long term solution... life style change is. Good luck to you."

I Pooped (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So a bit about me I am a regular guy, regular build, height, size. Aged 61 and a Leo (not that this makes a difference). When I say I'm a regular guy I mean that in the last 60 odd years I have been as regular as clockwork in the BM (Bowel Movement) department That was until last Saturday morning. WARNING GRAPHIC DETAILS FOLLOW: (Written in laymen's terms) Day 1: Saturday I awoke went to the loo, nothing happened! I sat there needing a wee and if you are like me during or shortly after I wee I poo. Not today! Got up off the loo and went about my day. Several times though the day I went and sat on the loo and tried to pee, with just a trickle for my efforts. I felt that I really needed a poo. As the day went on I felt almost as if each bum cheek was solid, I mean rock hard. (That's not good)I was thinking to myself. Still unable to poo and pushing on each bum cheek to try and move stuff about a bit in the hope that I might be able to squeeze a bit out. NOPE! Went to bed. Day 2: Sunday I awoke in the morning really really needing a wee and a poo. Still rock hard bum cheeks but now liquid poo was dripping/running out of my bum. This persisted throughout the day every time I sat on the loo. I spent four hours sitting there trying desperately to go the pain was so bad I was literally screaming in pain. The pain was situated mostly around my perineum. I would describe pain as having an elephant standing with its back legs on your dick and its front legs bouncing on your bladder OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOuch! This continued all day. I tried two table spoons of olive oil mixed with fresh lemon juice and Loads of water. NOTHING! Day 3: Monday Woke up went the loo worked on massaging each bum cheek had a small motion when I say small I mean the size of a pea. I was however able to pea (opps I mean pee) still rock hard impacted bum dripping with runny poo. I worked on each bum cheek rubbing and massaging as I sat on the loo for what seemed like most of the day gradually I was able to work most of it out as it became slightly softer. Day 4: Tuesday Woke up still unable to poo but weeing with ease when I needed to Bum cheeks felt normal (bit saggy as I'm getting older, I used to be such a fit tasty kind of guy with a great arse). Today I am getting worried as I have never had anything like this happen to me I have always been fit and active never taking any time off. I go on the internet and find this forum. After looking at loads of others I am not anti-meds but only use them as a last resort if all else seems to fail. (I am a forth degree Reiki Master Practitioner and a black belt so fairly fit most of life) I remember my mother used Milk of Magnesia so after reading the comments here went and got some and took 15ml at 17:00 (I did read the instructions but decided to take some) my thinking was before I go to bed wrong! Nothing happened so at 23:00 I took another 10ml and went bed. Day5: Wednesday I awoke feeling as I had done for the last 4 days still wanting a poo desperately wanting a poo and pissed off that the MOM had not worked yet. I sat on the loo had pee and and nothing! Went outside to inflate my wife's car tyre which has a very slow puncture so got the compressor out attached it to the valve and as I bent over I thought to myself I think I need to go to the loo. So slowly walked back indoors (no urgency at all) sat on the loo and my bum exploded in an instant with such force that it truly stunned me OMG! No pain. No cramp. No nothing; almost no sensation at all, except the most amazing feeling of not being full of poo (which I have been accused of on more than one occasion) (wrongly I have to say being a Leo apart from the last 5 poo filled days) Been twice again since this morning it's now 14:15 and having just finished this felt I had to say is fanbloodytastic. Be warned it can happen very very quickly and almost violently when it does, in my case without any warning and I'm happy to say without any pain or cramping at all (just lots and lots of noise and splashing and shouts from me (not of pain but of great relief. That must be the understatement of the year) 10/10 for Milk of magnesium Once again Mr Regular!"

Mr Regular (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I changed my diet about 6 months ago and just recently (the last month or so) have been experiencing constipation. Before this it had been very few and far between. Roughly every 3-4 days is when I would have a BM, not comfortable at all. I finally caved after having horrible bloating and pain at work today. I went to the drug store and picked up a bottle of MOM. I took 2 tbsp about 7pm. I didn't have any discomfort or gas but I couldn't sleep very well either. Finally about 1am, the blockage is gone and I'm so much more comfortable. I didn't experience any cramping and the beginning was still somewhat difficult to pass, it was soft but very bulky still. I don't feel any further urges to go to the toilet but it's only been 20 minutes."

Had2Go (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is a great product, because I was constipated for 3 days. I took it at 10am, and it took effect at 5pm same day. I added cups of water and a lil prune juice and everything was good. I was constipated due to GERD antacids. I was glad there were no cramps.MOM is a life saver for us with but issues and digestion."

Shanwa (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I read comments here about MOM taking it too far in the reverse. The directions and some patience are very important factors. My mother is 101 so we are very careful. After many years of chronic constipation and emergency room visits where even the ER couldn't easily help, we learned MOM taken correctly gives gentle relief over the course of a day or so. Our doctor explained MOM pulls moisture into the bowel to give relief, so it makes sense people are giving themselves the reverse problem by being too much in a hurry. Can't say enough about this rediscovered old friend. It is the most natural choice."

HelpingItOut October 28, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had severe constipation today and my stool was stuck I couldn't even sit down I had to pull what I could get out on my own in order to walk to get some milk of magnesia it helped me preety quickly I was so severely constipated I thought I was going to pass out as I was straining so badly I strongly recommend milk of magnesia it saved me a trip to the emergency room I will let other's no it's a terrific product for constipation thank you milk of magnesia you gave me the relief I needed after 6 hrs of extremely constipation I was in so much pain and you helped me get through it thank you so much I am so grateful for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worked like a charm. No pain, just some warning cramps. Took 1.5tbps, worked in less than 3 hrs. Will use again"

Pooper Trooper (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2016