User Reviews for Magnesium citrate to treat Constipation

Also known as: Citroma, Citrate of Magnesia, LiquiPrep

Magnesium citrate Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 139 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Magnesium citrate

"My sister-in-law said to try this after I've not had a bowel movement in over a week. That is with the help of laxatives. She said within an hour, she was able to poop. After an hour, I kept feeling more and more nauseated and ended up throwing it up along with any other fluids. I'm going camping in the morning. This past few hours has been miserable. I finally went back to the store and got and enema. At least there's some relief, and I'm not nauseated. I'm hoping what did get into the system doesn't have me pooping anytime within the 5+ hours to get to my destination. Do I recommend... Absolutely not!!! It seems like I had this year's ago, and it had the same effect. Save yourself, and your stomach, the agony."

No more Magnesium citrate (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2019

"I took 3 dulcolax and a whole bottle of citrate at 1:30 it is 11.21 I am raw and it's painful but it worked, I am preparing for an xray"

Boot (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2019

"Okay. So I felt discouraged about this because I've been reading reviews where everyone had a successful bowel movement so quickly. I have been backed up for 3 weeks. I feel like it's from stress and life changes. My routine was different. I have tried 2 enemas and I was only able to get small rabbit sized poop. I actually couldn't take it anymore and went to the ER. Wish I didn't because they didn't do anything but tell me to drink the magnesium citrate and do another enema. Enema wasn't too successful. I tried magnesium citrate at 8am. Chugged the whole thing. Drank water. I waited and nothing. I felt so disappointed and felt miserable that I was going to have this stuck feeling with no result! 16 hours later came. Gurgling and pain. I went to the bathroom and released two massive pieces I've ever pushed out ever. Sorry TMI but I guess that's what's been backed up!!! So if you think it's not working. I guess I'd wait 24 hours. I feel so relieved now!"

Anonymous May 30, 2019

"I personally had a bad experience. Bad constipation was my symptom, like everyone else. Super bloated and backed up. Instructed to take an entire bottle of this. 6 hours later, I’m full of regret and wish I was constipated again. I have lost everything inside me in very painful episodes of diarrhea (10 episodes and counting) I’m extremely weak and I can’t chug water fast enough to keep me hydrated. This stuff is dangerous. If a doc tells you to take a bottle TRUST ME take half. Be nice to your tummy :)"

Lee (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2019

"Severe constipation. ER Dr. told me to take this magnesium citrate. Nothing. sigh..."

jazzmo (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2019

"Last poop: 3+ weeks ago Starting weight: 155lbs 6:05PM drank entire bottle Cherry flavor followed by lots of water 6:09PM burp 6:30PM One poop. Long and soft. Lots of farting into the evening. 8:08AM (14 hours later) Straining trying to poop. 2 tiny soft poops release. Drank coffee 8:35AM first watery poop... and we are off"

Severely Constipated (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2019

"magnesium citrate works every time for severe constipation. This time I got the cherry flavor and chugged it (10oz) along with sixteen ounces of water. Started working within two hours and still going :~)"

PoopGirl May 17, 2019

"How long does magnesium citrate take to work you may ask. Well it took me up until about 12 hours after taking a whole bottle, this just so happened to be an hour before I had to be at the hospital for a procedure - not convenient at all!"

Phillip (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2019

Citrate of Magnesia (magnesium citrate): "I drank magnesia citrate, it was a half bottle and I chased it with warm water and it worked, within thirty minutes I was on the toilet. It is very good. My stomach is rumbling as I type lol. If you try the product make sure you drank with warm water."

Jaja May 11, 2019

"I haven't had a bowel motion (BM) in 12 days. Grabbed a 10oz bottle of grape flavored magnesium citrate from the store this morning and downed it at 9:37 a.m. I took it on an empty stomach and honestly haven't eaten anything today. I've been drinking plenty of water also. It's 4:02 p.m. and nothing has happened. Zip, Zilch, Nada! What I've read says I should have had a BM by the time I got to 6 hours and I'm pushing 6.5 at this point."

Rbeth2016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2019

Citrate of Magnesia (magnesium citrate): "I started my day off in a terrible mood. My stomach was aching, I couldn’t sleep and my belly was distended. After speaking to a friend he advised me about this product. I quickly ran to my 1987 mustang with the top off and rushed to the local pharmacy. With pain in my eyes I found the product I was searching for. I bought the root beer flavor because it’s da best. I opened it before paying and with one gulp it was gone. I don’t recommend drinking this hot but I needed it. I took the empty bottle up to the counter and paid for it. Reasonably priced I might add. I stepped back in to my hot rod and drove off. Unfortunately I took the scenic route. Nothing in sight other than trees. I began to feel a strange sensation in my gut. I took it as a playful fart and kept driving. A warm feeling quickly surrounded my cheeks. I pulled over as fast as I could and ran to the nearest tree. ...I would not recommend this unless you are at home."

Anonymous April 23, 2019

"Drank the magnesium citrate at 6pm. It's 10:30 now. Still nothing. Did yoga, massaged my belly. Nothing. Hope I can sleep, but wouldn't mind waking up for relief. Help!!"

Plugged (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2019

"Y’all. I took magnesium citrate 20 hours ago and still nothing. I drank the whole bottle along with 8oz (now way more) of water. I thought I could feel it working while I was drinking it, but I haven’t even had the urge to go yet. I’ve sat on the toilet hoping for some movement, but nothing. I have a party to go to in a couple of hours but based on the other reviews I’m a bit nervous to leave the house. Wish me luck."

HHE (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2019

"So like most of you I am sitting on the toilet writing this. This is my first trip to the toilet after drinking this stuff . The ER Dr. Prescribed it to me after going in today with horrible lower stomach pains and after many test determined I was full of poop, nothing else did the trick, but this did"

Painintheass (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2019

"I regularly get constipated when I travel. On a recent trip I got constipated again. I took bisacodyl tablets then later used gylcerin suppositories. Nothing worked, so I called advice nurse who told me to take MC (magnesium citrate) when I got home if other stuff did not kick in. I drank one 8 oz bottle of MC at 4 p.m. and by 10 p.m. it was working. Had to go hourly until 6 a.m. MC is definitely more powerful than other laxatives and is recommended when the usual other milder products do not work."

Anon80 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2019

"For maximum effect, take a smaller dose (4-6 oz) on an empty stomach if you can tolerate it. I suspect the people for which this has not worked, or worked slowly, are taking it with food, so it takes so much longer to get where is needs to be, so that it can do its work. "

fred (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2019

"Picked up a 10oz bottle of magnesium citrate for around $2. Drank about 4oz and stopped because of the awful taste. Took a break and downed 16oz of water and then about 4-6oz of the mag.citrate. I took the #2 train to Browntown about 2 hours later. Works great, tastes horrible."

AnalHammer2000 (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019

"Been having a lot of gut problems over the last couple years to where I have slowly changed my diet. Constipation recently became part if the problem. Wasn't totally blocked but my abdomen was staying swellen and I had lower back pain. Daughter suggested the MAgnesiun Citrate...well no doubt within 30 to 45 mins it worked. Waiting to see if that relieves some of the other problems."

Nicki (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2019

"Magnesium citrate works for my constipation every time, with minimal side effects"

Stiffler (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2019

"I suffer from IBS but I vary between long periods of constipation and diarrhea. Well I’ve been constipated for about 10 days when I heard of this stuff and gave it a shot. I drank the minimum 6 oz and a big bottle of water. It made me really nauseous while drinking it but didn’t make me sick. I took it at 5:30 pm it took until about 7:30pm to work and it’s been a liquid waterfall ever since. It’s currently 2:30 am and still on toilet no end in sight! I would recommend taking in the morning so you don’t miss out on sleep. Also, my stomach gurgles so loud with it in between bouts of poop"

Grmngrl8203 (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2019

"Well I just down to the bottle and we will see how it turns out. Going off of everyone's reviews I think I should be feeling good within the next 3 to 6 hours hopefully! Have been extremely backed up for a good week and I'm ready for the relief. FYI it didn't taste so bad I got the lemon flavor "

Becky January 29, 2019

"Used this cause I ended up being constipated for 5+ days, even tho I was able to pass a tiny bit on my own I ended up drinking the whole bottle cause I wasn't 100% sure how clogged up I was still. It took no longer than 3 hours for it to start working, first it was mostly hard poops that were coming out, and that gradually became liquid/gooey poops, as I am typing this I am still running back and forth going to the bathroom. Please be careful and consider only drink half a dose of this if its only slight constipation!"

SilverB33 (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2019

"It helped."

Lo (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2019

"I hadn’t gone for about 7 days. Tried Miralax, suppositories, and an enema, but those didn’t do anything. Finally, my doctor told me to get this. I drank 3/4 of the bottle along with 8 oz of water. It took about 8 hrs before anything happened. I didn’t have diarrhea like others, but I did have a couple of initial BMs that were soft. My stomach has been gurgling off and on since the initial BMs and I’ve used the bathroom a few more times, but it hasn’t been bad. Just happy to get some relief."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2019

"This works, could not go #2 for 4 days and lots of pain, bought the cherry kind from shoppers drugmart and drank half the bottle as per the pharmacist and 6 hours later it worked. I feel a whole lot better now as I sit here on the throne writing this!! I totally recommend this product 1000%"

Timhamilton January 19, 2019