User Reviews for Magnesium citrate

Also known as: Citrate of Magnesia, Citroma, LiquiPrep

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Magnesium citrate.

Magnesium citrate Rating Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 199 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Magnesium citrate to treat Constipation

"I've taken this before surgery and when backed up before. Right now I'm having increasing lower abdominal pain for a couple days now. I finally drank 1/2 a bottle about 9pm. It's 10:42pm and I'm getting some gurgling but nothing more. I hope this works because I'm in big pain. I have work at 4am so I'm concerned about my morning experience. Fingers crossed."

Need to poo? (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had very hard impacted stools that I tried to expel for several hours. My husband bought magnesium citrate and I drank the entire 10 oz bottle. Nothing happened - so I got into a warm bath and I finally was able to get rid of it one inch at a time. (sorry to be so disgusting). Well, 6 hours later, the diarrhea started and went on every 2-3 minutes until I went to bed. I got up this morning and felt better, but again, I have diarrhea and it explodes from me. So, the only thing this drug did for me was to give me diarrhea so I will never use it again. Hopefully, if I stay away from cheesey food, I won't need anything like this."

GailRoo November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have MS and I am also on hydrocodone for pain. I do not have a poop schedule. I’m used to going 4-5 days without a poo. This time it’s been 9 days. Chugged the entire bottle at 7:20pm. It’s now 9:12pm. Nothing. A little rumbly in my tumbly and slight queasiness, but no “hallelujah “ moment of blissful intestinal purging. I hope this works. I’m miserable!!!"

ConcretePoo November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went to the ER with severe stomach and chest pain and was told I have a partial blockage and to try MC to help pass it. I have a nerve issue which makes my bowels move very slowly so I get constipated a lot, though this was my first really severe case so I decided to try it. I took half the bottle yesterday and nothing happened so I thought it wouldn’t ever work. Took the other half today and it took about 6-7 hours to work but it definitely works, a little too well! Got the blockage out after a lot of time and straining and thought that was it I’m better. Nope! I have now been in and out of the bathroom for 5 hours! I gave it 8 stars because it does work but it says “gentle” and it is anything but gentle!! Send help lol!"

Katpoop (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used this for Pre-surgery prep .Took one dose the day before laparoscopy surgery to clean out bowels ... quite unsatisfactory. I am 5’5”, 125 lbs - not a big eater. Took 4.5 hrs for 1st movement, 7.5 hrs for 2nd, then slight action through night. Only after surgery (24 hrs after taking the dose) did it totally and finally work. Was lucky that I did not have accident during surgery. Just wanted to share my less than favorable experience."

ViMug (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a history with hard stools. Every once in a while I won’t have a bowel movement for a couple of days and once I do, it’s very hard to pass. I stumbled across this product and about 30-45 minutes after drinking half the bottle, I felt the rumble of the volcano in my stomach. You’ll know you’re ready to go on the pot when you have to hold in your bowel movement because it feels like you’re going poop water. It’s a relief let me tell you. After your poop you’re likely to have the farts for a few hours and they will most definitely stink. But the product works every time."

jesqu00a November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started out with a severe UTI, prior to that movements were normal and regular, think I got dehydrated and since I have IBS, doesn’t take a lot to throw off my system. So for two weeks I was fighting this but once the UTI was resolved I still had this pressure/pain on bladder/pelvic area. Doctor prescribed otc Magnesium Citrate (1 10oz bottle) along with a small bottle of GatorAid, I am not a fan of GatorAid but she wanted to keep electrolites in balance. Poured them together and sipped on this for about 3 hours. It took 8 hrs to kick in but I never experienced any stomach pains, cramps or watery diarrhea, but wow will it clean you out. Don’t plan on any out of your home activities, you will regret it. Good luck, good health to all."

cheezwhiz (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Getting ready to ditch Linzess’s crazy priced self! It works but it’s expensive. If your insurance will even cover it.... I have tried it all!!!! 800 mg of Mg citrate per day will clean you out per day ! I’ve been searching fo an over the counter solution. Gobbling Exlax works too but just ain’t right!"

Ponchohunter (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Oh it works and it works well. Took about 3 hours to kick in and now I have the dribbles. It’s like freaking Niagra Falls now! Beginning to wonder if I am going to have to take an Imodium to counteract the MC. I drank the full bottle over the course of an hour and followed it up with some water."

Fittsie October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Having Opiate induced constipation and on methadone, bowel movements are a commodity and a gift. On my fourth day of no-pooping I began to panicky and read about MC. Went to the pharmacy picked up the lemon lime flavour brand of Citrodan. I actually drank half the bottle on the way home and within 45 minutes I was on the toilet excreting the most foul smelling bowel movement I have ever had. The next few hours were a bit uncomfortable ; gas, gurgling, running to the toilet and some cramping. This stuff does what it is supposed to do with fervour and dedication. Be prepared and stay in. It's best to do it in the morning so you have all day to expel. Drink lots of water throughout the day and wash . It does smell bad coming out."

Sizzolino2312bam October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wasn’t really effective until 9 hours after I took it. But had severe stomach pain, cramping and bloating. It’s like a bomb went off. Standard OP from what I understand for a pre operative bowel cleanse. Decidedly unpleasant and not one I want to repeat. But it was effective in the end. If you do take it, I recommend the lemon flavor and refrigerating it first."

Ssandls00 October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I just drank a bottle not due to constipation but due to that sluggish, stomach virus feeling that's been lingering around a week now. It's probably from eating too much greasy foods who knows! When I get this feeling I definitely turn to this for a GOOD CLEANING OUT! I give it a few hours and it works EVERYTIME!!!"

Pinkdoll September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well, was backed up for almost 4 weeks. After 2 weeks went in to ER, got lactulose. No success after being told to eat more fibre too. Went back 4 days later. I had an x ray that showed a lot of stool. Try some citro-dan. Had little success. Took another the next day. No success. Was getting pretty rough. Went back and told to try restoralax. 3 days and was able to go a little bit but it would not budge the rest. Went back again. Told to try suppositories. Well been using them every night for 4 nights. Decided to use one tonight also took latulose and fiber tabs and metimusul. Had some BM. Took Citro-Mag after BM and water. 2 hours later I felt al ot come out. Was getting a pale clay look of stool before. Got back to normal color and running. Hope it stays clear."

Combo stack (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After a week of sharp pain in my right lower abdomen progressively getting worse I ended up in the ER. I thought I had an ovarian cyst. The doctor ordered tests to rule out kidney stones or appendicitis. I was diagnosed with impacted bowel! I had been going regularly so it was a surprise although I do take Norco regularly for back pain. Apparently I had a ball of stool stuck somewhere higher up. I was sent home with a bottle of MC and drank half the bottle as recommended with plenty of water around midnight. I didn't sleep well from the pain and had a decent BM at 6 AM. Then nothing and still in pain. It is now 7:30 AM and I decided to drink the other half in hopes that this will pass."

462xyz September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was skeptical at first but I went to sleep at 12 then woke up at 5:50 to take the most massive liquified dump ever. It didn't feel horrible and didn't feel bad. I weighed myself before and after and lost 3 lbs in waste and water. That was the first restroom experience. Apparently it lasts 2 days so hopefully it'll be in time for my testing for the army haha."

JeepManNate (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Didn't have a bowel motion for a week and finally somehow found the will within me to drink this stuff. Was on the pot within half an hour and I have gotta say, I'm a new woman"

livtylerjk August 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I've been backed up for a good 2 weeks now, I finally went to the doctor yesterday after trying home remedies, laxatives from the store, etc my pain had been horrible, I've called out of work the past two days, I can barely move, they did an X-ray and I'm full of gas pockets, not stool or poop just gas. They recommended me 3 bottles of this liquid magnesium citrate, 1 a day for the next 3 days. I did one last night yes I've pooped just watery nothing normal but I'm still in pain, so I sent my mom to the store today for gas x, lemons and charmemile tea, I'm still in pain, so I'm about to drink another bottle of this, can anyone relate? Should I go back to the doctor? Is this stuff gonna help the gas pockets? I just want to be over this"

Hcky27 (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I drank a 10oz bottle of lemon flavored at 6pm last night and thru the night my tummy giggled and rumbled. This morning at 6 am I went to the bathroom and at 7 am but that's it. I'm disappointed in this stuff because I still feel bloated ad constipated. Any suggestions on how to help it work?"

Shelly 1971 August 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed this for an upcoming colonoscopy and had to take two full bottles of it. A day apart. It gave me a very bad headache and made me feel bloated . My system is slow anyway which is why I'm getting the procedure . It definitely works but I didn't get very dramatic results with the first bottle . I don't think I will ever drink anything lemon or lime again for a while !"

SFOgal August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been constipated all week and nothing provided any relief. My mom told me about MC. I have the day off so I drunk the entire bottle. Why in the world did I do that *sigh*. An hour after taking it, my stomach started to rumble like a loud motorcycle and I felt a little moist back there. What happened next was nothing short of a darn exorcism. I felt a little nauseous while on the throne and my legs got numb but I was fearful of leaving my porcelain safety net. 3hrs later , trumpet farts, numb legs, sore buttand tired from a intestinal rollercoaster; I've found relief."

Pooptastic (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This product always works. Only downside is slight memory loss after going to the bathroom because you'll poop your brains out!!!"

Jylynn August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Thank the lord for this stuff! I had an operation that left me severely constipated for a week and was ready to do anything to get relief. I felt very nauseous immediately after drinking, but that got better within an hour or two. There was some mild cramping, but nothing as bad as a few days without a BM! I would highly recommend this, just be sure you clear the rest of your day, as it really cleans you out! The directions said to drink half to the full bottle, and I ended up drinking all 10oz. Worked great, didn't find it to be 'too much' or anything, and I'm a pretty small person."

Mw1019 (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have used magnesium citrate three times and it works like magic! I have gastro issues that are undiagnosed as of now so needless to say I get very backed up, bloated, and feel pregnant. One bottle of the grape drink and fireworks in the bathroom every time! Each time that I go, I feel relieved and in a much better mood. I believe that my body is responding to getting rid of all of the toxic poo and thanking me for it. Before my stomach is hard and I look pregnant. After it is very squishy and I feel like I lose five or more pounds. It is a miracle drink. Please take this if you have any of these issues. It will save you a trip to the ER. "

Fireworks in Toilet Guaranteed July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This stuff is a miracle worker. Had indigestion and was just really backed up for a days and was nauseous so I decided to get this to just clean my system out and boy did it do the job. Literally started working like 30 min after drinking the whole bottle. Drank it at about 10am and now it's almost 1am and I still been running back and forth to the toilet. I feel like I've used the bathroom about 25 times today LOL. I'm feeling refreshed and much better. I feel like I'm never gonna stop pooping. Make sure you're free for the entire day and can be home when you take this stuff"

Kk the magnesium citrate user (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wish very much I could give MC a glowing review like so many other reviewers. Unfortunately I can't, as it's been hit or miss for me. I was given MC several years ago to clear me out before surgery. Back then it worked, actually a little too well. I started going about 20 min after drinking the bottle (10 oz lemon lime flavor, not too bad) and I was still having spells of poop water 48 hrs later. This time is a different story. I'm in the middle of a bout with severe acute constipation and was given MC in the ER after my usual home remedies (Miralax, Senakot S, Fleet enemas) didn't work and I got desperate. It's been 8 hrs. since drinking the MC and nothing has happened except some tummy rumbling. So I'm still desperate :("

PoopieTortie (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017