User Reviews for Magnesium citrate

Also known as: Citrate of Magnesia, Citroma, LiquiPrep

Learn more about Magnesium citrate.

Magnesium citrate Rating Summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 185 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Magnesium citrate to treat Constipation

"Works like a charm, but keep the tissue handy...no pun intended! I was having severe abdominal cramping & almost went to the ER. The pain would subside, then go away but on Day 10 I couldn't take it anymore even though I was still having BM's. The doc ordered this, along w/ a powder & some meds to help w/ the muscle spasms (sharp, shooting pain from mid gut to my ass). I took them at 3:15 on the dot (all 3 at the same time) & by 3:30-3:35 I had my first poop. It doesn't give you immediate release but after your 3rd or 4th poop the pressure subsides. You may wanna take a sick day after you take this stuff, LOTS of water to prevent dehydration, Netflix subscription & plenty of TP. Happy Pooping Y'all!!!"

Ms. Painful Guts (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

"First time contributing to a forum like this, but wanted to make a public service announcment, because others' comments helped me so much, and made me laugh. I hadn't had a BM in ten days. By day five I was uncomfortable, by day 6 I was worried, and by day 7 I was ready for extreme measures! I must have spent over $80 on everything from sena, sena with stool softner, miralax, and even ducolax suppository, with very limited success. I was worried I'd have to go to urgent care because nothing was moving! Then, as a last resort I picked up this $1.95 bottle from CVS of magnesium citrate, lemon flavor (tasted fine). Drank with two glasses of water - and, 5 hours later, voila! Recommend cancelling plans for 24 hours after taking. Worked when nothing else would!"

success! (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

"I just spent about an hour to an hour and a half reading all of these reviews after taking MC. I am now at the next step of sitting on the toilet clutching my Charmin. I am on an antidepressant and it has caused me chronic constipation. Having constipation frequently throughout my life I was used to going a few days without pooping. After 7 days of not going my boyfriend forced me to take this saying that it was the most amazing thing ever and that I would feel like a new person. Needless to say, I sent him a text telling him how much I loved him. When they say don't trust a fart they mean it! I felt a slight farts coming and after clenching a little realized that this was no normal fart...it was a shart. Run if you feel a fart."

Gloriouspoop (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

"After a round of antibiotics and eating too much junk food over Christmas, I was constipated for 3-4 days. The "plug" was too big. I couldn't go on my own. I used MC once before - I took the whole bottle then and had the experience everyone here has described. This time, I read the recommended dose is 6 oz. The bottle is 10oz. So I drank about 2/3 of the bottle. Twenty minutes later, I heard some gurgling, but I didn't have any new urge to go. Instead, I took a three hour nap. When I woke up, I had to go. It was still painful to pass the "plug," but not as much as the other days I had tried. Success! And without complete diarrhea. The stool became soft enough to pass it all. 3 hours later I had a second normal BM. Great product!"

AnotherSatisfiedCustomer January 4, 2017

"So I was having extreme stomach and abdomen pain and had no idea what was going on, I had a friend bring me to the ER because I was worried it might be my appendix or something. Well turns out it was not. They made me get a CT scan and long behold the doctor says I'm apparently extremely blocked in my colon which is weird because I had just pooped and I actually poop 9/10 times I go to the bathroom anyway they sent me home with a bottle of This stuff and told me to take it the next day so I started drinking it around 11 and only finished about 3/4 of a 10 oz bottle, it was the lemon and it was just too strong for me. Anyway it was nearly 3 I didn't know why it wasn't working at all then I finally drank some water and boom"

Abcoach (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2017

"I was constipated for what felt like a whole week. I tried Miralax, enemas, yoga, ileocecal massage...nothing worked! I was in pain. Super bloated. Felt like I'd gained ten pounds. I actually took magnesium chloride, not citrate...and about 2.5 hours later I experienced the glorious poop chute waterfall. So relieving. I'll always keep magnesium on hand from now on."

Püpr January 3, 2017

"Drink the whole bottle drink a lot of water I drink the lemon had some nausea and my stomach hurt. As soon as I felt like I needed to pass gas my stomach rumble and I had to go. I got up and felt like I needed to push, had to go again, I've been in the restroom for at least an hour been pooping and it smells awful (all the old poop). I think this is a great, you will need some ointment for your butt as it gets raw "

Celabeee (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2016

"I had a csection 6 weeks ago and everything is still trying to go back to normal. Take a day off for this stuff! It worked in about 5 hours for me. Grape is delicious. First came the plug, then muddy water 3 or 4 times, then mushy, sticky yuck. Then muddy water. This stuff is serious! Be sure to drink water as it directs on bottle and you'll need baby wipes and A&D ointment for your butt."

PorcelainNmyEye (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2016

"I had been constipated for a week. It hurt so bad and I mean bad. I didn't know what to do so I called my mother who was a nurse and she told me about MC I thank my Mom so much. She only told me to drink half the bottle. I did at about 6:45 pm and by 3:00 am I was on the toilet. It was like constant relief. Once in the bathroom about every hr. But well worth it. If I ever get constipated again this is what I am using."

Bathroom dweller (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

"After surgery 6 days ago, I took Percocet and also laid in bed for 3 days without a lot of movement. I believe this is what cause my constipation. I tried ex-lax max strength on day 6 of not going and it only caused pain. My stool seemed to be too big and too hard to pass. I talked to my doctor and was told to try magnesium citrate. The cherry didn't taste bad at all and I was able to drink the entire bottle. 6 hours later and my stool was STILL too hard to pass. I ended up using Fleet Saine enema and that did the trick. I believe that this product would work for most people and would certainly use it again, but with the amount of blockage I had - I needed more help!"

PoopSqueak (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2016

"Taking the CM for a prep 3 days before procedure. Took it per Dr's. Instructions at 3pm by 6pm I was riding the throne . I was supposed to drink another bottle 24 hrs later then do the moviprep day before . Oh forgot to tell you procedure is scheduled for Monday morning so anyway here it is Saturday supposed to drink #2 bottle of CM right well I am STILL having to go back and forth to the toilet everytime I drink anything from the first bottle I drank Friday at 3 pm. So needless to say I will not be taking that 2nd bottle today. Still riding the throne."

Pooping4days November 27, 2016

"I've had major constipation mainly from taking iron pills and a bad diet. Was in the ER with excruciating stomach pains (worse then kidney stones) and the doctors couldn't figure out the problem. When they told me it was constipation I didn't believe them but took the bottle they gave me and used it at home. Within 5 mins it worked and pain was gone. I'll never go to the ER with stomach pains again without first trying this method. Works like a charm!"

Pooper23 November 25, 2016

"I've had constipation issues since I was a kid. ER doc told me I what I already knew when we did a CT scan for a herniated disc. Severely constipated. Recommended I drink mag citrate but I just havent had time because of my work schedule. A few months later, here I am. I'm always bloated and sick after I eat so I could imagine how backed up I am now. Could have sworn I was pregnant some days. I chugged the bottle down at about 4 and started feeling gurgles at 5:10. About 5 minutes later had to run to the throne all for one small grenade. I'm sitting here hoping that wasn't it."

P00psMcGee November 12, 2016

"I'm on my second bottle as we speak. I drank the first one around noon today. So far nothing. This is typical for me. I am on some heavy narcotics for a sternum that didn't heal properly after open heart surgery last year. I take Linzess, two Colace tabs and Miralax daily and still deal with life stopping constipation. When I hit the 5 day mark of no BMs I break out the Magnesium citrate chilled and cherry flavored. It does work but I never know how long it will take. I'm grounded to the house until something breaks."

Von68 October 28, 2016

"This stuff worked incredibly fast, within 20 minutes. I hadn't had a bowel movement for days, but within 20 minutes, I had a large bowel motion. Then nothing happened for hours, but during the night I could tell the magnesium citrate was working and in the morning I had to go two or three times. After the initial movement though you're essentially pooping out dirty water into the bowel. As other people have said, buy baby wipes and drink lots of water. And the taste wasn't bad at all! I mixed it with a little bit of cranberry juice and actually found it very sweet/tart and delicious."

JCV1 October 26, 2016

"I have some pain issues and a slow colon anyway so every time I have to take opiates I get severely backed up. Sometimes I get through it OK on my own but most times I need help. I'm a regular user, every 6 months or so and just have to add, there will be discomfort because the gas will finally be able to move and that hurts. But there is no cramping. It doesn't MAKE you go, it liquifies everything so its effortless to go. Be near a toilet and give yourself a day."

Dbllff October 24, 2016

"I had my gallbladder removed on 10/20/16. I had been constipated for about 2 weeks prior to surgery. I am generally constipated anyways. So I tried fibre, stool softeners, glycerin suppository, and enemas. Nothing was working. My friend told me about the magnesium citrate. Last night (10/22/16) I drank half the bottle at 8pm. I went on to sleep with just a bloated feeling. Woke up at 9am and still nothing. So I took the rest of the bottle followed by 2 bottles of water. I was starting to get worried around 12:30pm when nothing had happened and it had been nearly 17 hours. I decided to try an enema to maybe help it along. I could feel my tummy rumbling. That's when it happened! It was like a geyser. Good product."

holypoop (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2016

"The reason you find that many people are writing reviews from the toilet is: after the "water works" from 2nd place, you began to wonder like... Oooookaaay, is this safe and. It humanly possible. So we were all actually googling to find out if we would love pass "the brown waterfall" experience.. And when does it stop, and can I drink water now...True or false? Good news is.. You will live, this my second experience. And if you think you got it bad, I took 2 bottles at once... Imagine that.."

Seriously... really? (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2016

"It works really well. The taste is just a bit sour."

Ranika (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2016

"Because I'm over 190 lbs, doc said I had to take Mg Citrate 2 days before colonoscopy. (The day before I also get to deal with Suprep, which is worse.) Downed the 10 oz. bottle in 4 shots, followed by 8 oz. cold water. It hit me a few hours later and then again in another hour or so%u2014don't know if it'll hit again, but all feels calm right now. Pretty well flushed out. I had already had 3 BMs earlier today...not really unusual for me...and wasn't really full of food. The stuff definitely works. I had the Lemon flavor. Told my wife it tasted like "lemon-flavored old underwear." Really not great-tasting, but keeping it cold and holding my nose helped. Worked right through my pain meds, too. Finding it a bit difficult to stay hydrated."

Agua Caliente (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2016

"I felt like I needed to get rid of all the toxins in my system because I had eaten fast food a lot lately. So last night I drank an entire bottle of MC cherry flavor. It taste like an extra strong cherry jolly rancher lol. But after like 2 hours i had my first BM literally shot out liquid. The next morning same deal. And now at 6:30 Eastern time I'm pooping again lol. Not as bad though and didn't last as long. I recommend this for constipation, detoxing"

Poopernater (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 23, 2016

"I hadn't had a bowel movement in 10 days. I was plugged up with a large, dry and hard stool that wouldn't budge no matter how hard I pushed. 8 days in, I tried a glycerine suppository to try to soften it up so I could go. That didn't work, so for the rest of the day I took 3 doses of miralax and another dose the next day plus another suppository. Didn't do a thing. I found an unopened bottle of magnesium citrate in the cabinet. I had never tried it before for constipation, but I was out of options. I drank half a bottle at 10pm. At 7:30am the next morning everything was literally flowing out of me. This cleaned me out without causing any cramping or discomfort. Magnesium citrate is the only thing I'll ever use for constipation from now on"

Mommydearest4 (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

"I've used Magnesium Citrate before and it works like a charm. On and off stomach bloating, pressure, I knew I was stuffed up. Drank a whole bottle at 11:15am, by 6:45pm I was off to the races. Definitely recommend clearing your calendar for a day or so cause you're gonna go."

RobDee September 18, 2016

"My pain doctor just switched my pain meds around and I started Having bad Stomach pains worse than labor with my four kids . so I set off to go get fleets because I have use them before and know they work they are just u comfortable putting them in but went to dollar general and the girl that works there told me about the magnesium citrate grape flavor .she said she used it after her hystrorectomy I took half bottle when I was almost back to house after 25 minutes it worked a little I took the rest of bottle(dont do this wait for the stuff to finish working) well all I got to say no cramps and my stomach is empty .god bless this product and I will keep on my shelf for life."

lisafromwiggins (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

"All i have to say is that this stuff works, no doubt. After first using it it took like 2 hours to kick in and i hit the toilet for like 5 min then the next morning booooyyy i let it out like no other. Really recommend it!"

Mag user September 2, 2016