User Reviews for Magnesium citrate

Also known as: Citrate of Magnesia, Citroma, LiquiPrep

Learn more about Magnesium citrate.

Magnesium citrate Rating Summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 184 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Magnesium citrate to treat Constipation

"I had surgery almost a week ago and the pain medication gave me some insane constipation. I sent my girlfriend to the drug store to find a fast acting laxative. When she got there she asked the pharmacist what the best option was and they suggested magnesium citrate. I am glad they did. I needed immediate relief. He directed me to drink just about half and it should work within an hour. Well I threw it back and though it was definitely over an hour it worked! Highly recommend this product. I'm actually still sitting here..Making sure it's all out. Once I got my first movement out of the way there was no stopping the rest. Amazing."

Wow... July 19, 2016

"I recently changed my diet and have been eating more protein which has seriously backed me up. I hadnt pooped for 4 days and felt nauseous after eating and bloated and gassy. My stomach was rock hard with no relief from senna, essential lemon oil, digestive enzymes, probiotics, colon cleanse, and smooth move tea. A friend recommended mag citrate. I had never heard of it before. Went to store and bought it for 1.99. Sour Lemon taste. I drank half a bottle and nothing. Drank the other half and 16 ounces of water (maybe more) and the magic started happening. I'm still sitting on the toilet with my pants around my ankles hoping for some more movement. This stuff works. Be patient. It took me 1.5-2 hours for the first movement."

Relieved for sure July 15, 2016

"So, this was recommended to me by the local pharmacist because I have not taken a poop in a week!! I was so uncomfortable and in pain, I will say, the experience drinking this was HORRIBLE, I had the grape flavor and it was unbelievablely sour, this was my first time taking this stuff for constipation. I guzzled down a full 10oz bottle at 8pm and followed it with lots of water, it gave me the worst nausea of my life and it took my all to hold it down, and it bloated me like a balloon, I stayed up until about 2am and nothing, I was getting so nervous that I just went to sleep, I wake up at 8am, 12 hours later and STILL NOTHING, finally at about 1pm, 17 hours later the dam burst and it was so relieving!! Horrible taste, but it does work!!!!"

Pleasantpoops (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

"Well, I promise if you are reading these reviews they are all true! I have been on the toilet for the last hour, stuff just streaming out of me. I have been incredibly constipated for the last few weeks and I remember my mom always used mag citrate whenever she was really backed up, and oh lord do I know why, I don't think there is a single bit of poop left in me but it just keeps coming out. The only downside is that my bottom kind of feeling a bit hot, and that my stomach won't stop making these god awful noises, my boyfriend was like oh my god what's wrong with you hahaha. But as everyone else has said be prepared to be on the toilet for a while."

Thelovelylou July 7, 2016

"This stuff is amazing! I have irritable bowel syndrome, normally going to the bathroom after eating anything. The last year I have had constipation 3 or 4 times and am miserable, makes me depressed, hurts to move and kills my back. coworker told me about this stuff, said it was like 1 dollar at cvs drug store but I went to the grocery store and it was 2.49. I read instructions, I drank just under half the bottle. . Some stuff was still happening and I wasn't 100 percent constipated so didn't think I needed as much. I was scared of the taste so I mixed mine with a lil juice. Drank 20 oz of water after.. 35 min later I was in the bathroom. It's been 2 hrs or so and about 5 times in the bathroom, so far. Also, no real pain! !"

MissLace July 7, 2016

"I have been on pain pills for the last 3 weeks for lower back and leg pain. As a result I became very constipated. I tried Stool Softener and Laxatives but had no luck. My stepmom suggested I try this product. OMG I am so HAPPY!!! This product really works!!! I drank a 10oz bottle of Magnesium Citrate and a 16oz bottle of water afterwards. Three hours later I had a TOUCHDOWN!!! My bowel ran like water. The great thing about this product is I had no stomach cramping or straining. I also put the bottle of Magnesium Citrate in the frezzer for about 5 minutes to chill before I dranked it. It's not the best tasting drink but it's not that bad either. Overall this product ROCKS! I will suggest to product to others."

VeeJune1 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

"Amazing stuff!! I was constipated for over two weeks hardly getting anything out and in constant pain still having to go to work. Tried everything senna, miralax, ducolace and a few enemas. Got a bottle of mag citrate drank it all at once with water 4 or 5 hours later it was the scene from dumb n dumber when loyd got Harry with the turbo lax lol. P.s. I'm 6ft4 210 lb man so one bottle should be plenty for most"

Yoster (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

"WOW. Talk about an explosion from your butt. Constant sprints to the bathroom, but gets the job done. Explosion on explosion. Currently on the pot and can't get off. Be prepared."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2016

"If this a review for MAG citrate, here goes. My name for it is liquid plumber. It works great, only problem take a little time just be patient"

Delbob June 8, 2016

"I had been very constipated since I started dieting and losing weight. I was hardly pooping at all and it was making my stomach feel very uncomfortable. I started taking miralax but that takes days to work for me. So for immediate relief I picked up some mag citrate. I drank the whole 10 ounce bottle lemon flavor. It tasted tolerable but not great. After 2 hours still no results so I drank 3 big glasses of water and bam, after 10 more minutes I was on the toilet. This WILL give you watery diarrea so be prepared but the relief is amazing"

Missespoo (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2016

"After over 1 week of constipation, I took the advice of my PCP and bought 2 bottles of Equate Magnesium Citrate 10 oz bottles in Cherry and Grape flavor. I drank the Grape flavored bottle with No Results in 5 hours; so I drank the other 10 oz bottle. There was No Indication of any activity in my stomach for the entire 20 hours before my stomach began to gurgle; then I tried to evacuate my bowels. The BM went smoothly and fairly rapidly, (20 Minutes). It's been 8 hours since that initial BM; and there is now no further activity. Other than the extended delay in relief, the Grape flavor tasted good; and the Cherry flavor was tolerable. The medicine was inexpensive at only 98 cents per bottle. It worked, albeit much slower."

Longhorn7028 May 26, 2016

"I took this because I've been constipated for about a week; I tried natural remedies, like coffee and peppermint oil, which made me feel like I had to poop but nothing happened. I was on the verge of going to the doctor, as my stomach hurt everytime I ate and I looked pregnant. After reading these reviews, I bought the cherry version from CVS, which actually tasted really good- like a jolly rancher. I drank about 9oz, couldn't finish the last bit because it made me nauseous. I drank probably 16oz of water, and waited. Took 2 hrs and more water before I had a big, solid poop. Drank more water and had some coffee, which began the liquid butt lava. Am still sitting on toilet, so far so good- will update my review if necessary."

MrsPoop (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2016

"I suffer from ibs-c & a sluggish colon. I have had periods of time where I could not go for 4 weeks. I tried miralax, metamucil, benefiber, rx colonoscopy preps, stool softeners, etc. I could not find any regularity. Recently, I thought I had regulated after changing meds(I was going 2-3 times per day almost every day), but after a CT scan for another GI ailment it showed I was constipated in two areas. I tried the cherry mixed w/juice warm & it made me nauseated could not finish full dose It took about 12 hrs to work, but needed To do again. I refrigerated the lemon flavor mixed with cold juice & was less nauseated. Took 5 hrs. Need time to allow to finish, wipes a&d."

GI issues (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

"So if you are like me, something as simple as using the rest room can become quite a scary event. Ive heard so many people talk about "picking the stuff out of their ass" and i about threw up!! I have been taking the usual go to products like milk of magnesia, miralax, mineral oil, ducolox stood softer and basically every over the counter thing you can image for some relief. Without fail MAGNESIUM CITRATE is a GOD SEND! I am a bigger guy so i have to drink 2 bottles and a ton of water but IT WILL WORK! The first inital poop might hurt but after that blockage goes, its smooth sailing. I would MUCH RATHER sit on the toilet with diahreah then STRAIN AND BE IN THE WORST PAIN OF MY LIFE everytime i try to poop. THANK GOD FOR THIS PRODUCT"

TheMiracleMaker (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2016

"Ever since I was diagnosed with IBS I try to avoid dairy so I won't explode like I am now, clearly I have an issue with it. Well for whatever reason as of late dairy consumption has constipated me to high heaven. Decided after a week in a half of frustratingly small bowel movements and a TON of straining it was time to drink the "poop juice" as I call it. Within 45 minutes I had to SPRINT to the bathroom and my god didn't think I'd make it in time. It's now been a few hours and I only really left the bathroom twice. Found it easier to just stay on the toilet. Im now reading everyone's reviews because i needed something to pass the time and these are usually hilarious! If the poop juice doesn't work for you go to a about doctor or ER!!"

Gotta love IBS (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2016

"Diagnosed with Kidney Cancer in 2013, according to the CT/MRI scans Doc said I was "backed up". Said to drink a full bottle of Magnesium Citrate with a lot of water. Took a good 30-45 minutes to start feeling the movement in the gut. You'll sit on the toilet for about 20 minutes while a violent volcano eruption happens out of your bum. Liquid lava I'd call it, It will shoot out of you like a high pressure washer - gets the job done. But the fact of the matter is, it works extremely well. I would suggest using MC when you're terribly constipated but not for every day use. I'm sitting on the Ceramic Throne as we speak after chugging a sweet cherry flavored bottle of Magnesium Citrate."

CeramicThrone (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

"I had surgery on my lower spine and was constipated for 9 days afterward. I had tried multiple times to let fly but nothing happened. The last time I was going there was so much pain. And since I was unable to push too much it was very difficult and I actually started to freak out a bit. Then I remembered that my girlfriend had picked up a bottle magnesium citrate. I chugged the bottle with a chaser of water. I then continued to sit there on toilet with nothing happening. I decided to go lay down for a bit. About 1.5 hrs later I rushed for the porcelin god and ripped my drawers down yelling at my girlfriend to go go go!!! I sat there wondering how much it was going to hurt and then it happened."

Renovatio28 (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

"I haven't pooped in 2 weeks, so the ER happened. I was diagnosed with slow motility in my intestines and severe constipation by the ER, and was put on 3 laxatives. None worked for 5 days. In a last ditch effort, the doc said to take MOM. I went for broke and took 4 tablespoons at 6:30 pm. Nothing happened for over 12 hours. I took 2 more tablespoons at 11 am the next morning. Within 30 minutes, I ran into the bathroom clenching. I am trapped on this throne, and it's like a geyser. I kid you not, it is coming out of me like lava. MOM is the real deal - DO NOT JOKE ABOUT THIS!"

shittingmybrainsout April 4, 2016

"wow!"

Mjsjdndk March 30, 2016

"I had been so horribly backed up that I coild feel the skin on my stomach stretching. I tried taking herbal colon cleanse pills in hopes that it would help, but after 4 days of zero bowel movements I decided to turn to Magnesium Citrate. I took 10oz first thing in the morning on an empty stomach followed by a liter of water. 30 minutes later it kicked in. For about an hour and a half I also had nausea and stomach cramps. Once things started moving more it went away. Like another reviewer said, this will make you pee out of your butt. If you are looking to be cleaned out and immediate constipation relief, I highly recommend this product."

Alex N. March 23, 2016

"If I haven't hardly gone to the bathroom in a few days, and I feel bloated and blocked up, like there's a plug in my gut, Magnesium Citrate works. Every time. Sometimes it takes longer than others, but I don't mess with anything else. Drink the whole bottle. Follow with water or gatorade. Wait 3-12 hours. Sometimes the constipation and bloating makes it really hard to focus, so I'll drink it before bed, and wake up to go the the bathroom. Set aside a few hours you can be near a home toilet, as there's a decent chance you'll need to clean up afterward!"

Zheta (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2016

"I had surgery 5 days ago, had not pooped since the day before my surgery, so a friend of mine went to CVS and bought me the grape flavored, as a get well soon gift. She knew more than I did apparently. ..it took about 3hrs and then it started working. .needless to say I have been going a lot, so to kill time I have been reading the reviews on this medicine and I can relate to some of them...some are hilarious, but I needed something to do while I waited for the lives to renew on my game...after all I'm just sitting here."

The porcelain thrown (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2016

"I had been constipated after giving birth for 3 weeks. I took stool softeners and I took Flax seed and after 3 weeks I pooped, worst pain of my life!. Worst that giving birth. After that I thought it was going back to normal. But after 3 days it happened again. I took Citroma this time but all I got was a lot of bubbles in my stomach along with gas and cramps. No relief :("

Ms.Madam February 12, 2016

"I have had approximately 14 feet of my small bowel removed along with half of my descending colon. I also have IBS but instead of having short bowel syndrome, I stay constipated. I can't strain, I've had all muscle removed from my abdomen. I feel like I can never finish my bowel movements and at times I'll not go for a week. I don't think it tastes bad at all. I got the lemon lime for $1 , grabbed a can of sprite and proceeded. I didn't drink but a quarter of the bottle and chased it with the sprite. Within about three hours I finally had some relief!! I'm just going to continue using it twice a week or so. And actually the kind I bought, tasted like sprite, carbonated. It worked better than liquid suppositories!!"

Kari Michelle January 17, 2016

"I have a history of constipation. A permanent injury years ago forces me to have to take high doses of pain medication, plus I have an implanted pain pump. I've also had double hernia surgery, and have IBS, so sometimes pooping can be a big problem. I started taking Magnesium Citrate softgels a few months ago and they really seem to help a lot. Prior to taking them I was having to take pericolace tablets, ducolax, as well as, use a glycerin suppository, and still had issues going but now as long as I take the MC softgels daily, and drink adequate water all goes according to plan. I have in the past had colon preps and had to drink the MC liquid and YUCK LOL so the soft gel, or capsules are the way to go for me."

All Boundup (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016