User Reviews for Magnesium citrate to treat Constipation

Also known as: Citrate of Magnesia, Citroma, LiquiPrep

Magnesium citrate has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 378 ratings for the treatment of Constipation. 83% of those users who reviewed Magnesium citrate reported a positive effect, while 6% reported a negative effect.

Magnesium citrate Rating Summary

8.7/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Magnesium citrate

shandrewsca June 17, 2021

“If you have had any form of gastric bypass surgery and suffer from constipation, here is my advice: Since my RNY in 2005, I have suffered from constipation. In a week's span, I will have one bowel movement, large, hard pebbles that I have to manually extract most of the time. So, every Thursday morning around 8:00 a.m. I begin drinking one bottle of Cherry or Grape flavored MC (I do not like the lemon flavored, it burns my pouch). What I do is mix 1/2 bottle with 32 ounces of lukewarm water and drink it within an hour. I will then mix the other 1/2 bottle with another 32 ounces of lukewarm water and finish it within an hour. It works like a charm for me within 2-4 hours! Yes, the poo is liquidy, but I don't have cramps and the relief is out of this world. I will get that "uh oh" feeling and know I need to go to the toilet ASAP. Thankfully I work from home, and my bathroom is right next to my office. Word of advise - do not fart, it's a trick! Learn from my experience ;)”

asb6678 · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2021

“I have to use opiates for pain and haven't been able to have a full bowel movement for months, I go number 2 once every 3 days and then it's just little balls. Past few days I've been getting cramps and being uncomfortable in my abdomen so I decided to try this. I drunk about 3/4 of the grape flavored MC. I couldn't drink the full bottle since it was just straight up gross tasting to me and all the fluids was making me nauseous. I drank a full 16 oz bottle of water with it. Right after I drank all of the fluids I felt like I was going to throw up and was extremely nauseous for about 20 minutes until it disappeared. I took this at around 10 pm and I wasn't able to have a BM for the remaining time I was awake so I ended up falling asleep. I woke up and had the biggest BM I have had in months, all the cramping was gone and I felt so relieved. If you're backed up I recommend this, but don't drink the full bottle unless you really really have to.”

Trabbott1 June 14, 2021

“It took my body five hours for it to work. I’m so glad that I went to E.R. late last night because the constipation was starting to make me nauseous and I had a migraine. I literally could not fit anything more in my belly and threw up because of the amount of stool. Long story short, after a long wait, and staying in hospital overnight, the doctor said I was backed up and prescribed this laxative. By 12pm, five hours afters I left, did I feel the effects. I was on the toilet for an hour squirting liquid out of my butt, thinking I was all done but nope. By 3 I was running again. I still feel it gurgling in my intestines and the popping of gas. I feel bloated, and my butt and crotch are very raw (it just squirts everywhere) ….expect this to last more than 12 hrs, or maybe 24hrs for it to stop the bloating and gurgling. It’s 1 am (took it at 7am)and I finally feel a little bit better. Don’t take the whole bottle unless the doctor says so. Also stay hydrated with lots of electrolytes.”

Omfgwtf January 20, 2021

“DO NOT DRINK THE WHOLE BOTTLE IF YOU DON'T NEED TO! I’m currently writing this review at 4am, after pooping 2 times an hour every hour since 9pm. I drank the whole bottle at around 1pm. Had solid poops 3 times! (9d ays constipated) and after 9.......my butt can not take it anymore!!!! I prayed that God would help me poop, now I’m praying he will make it stop. This stuff works. But my butt is on fire. I can’t sleep because the constant gurgling in my stomach and the constant urge to poop. IF YOU GET THE URGE TO FART IT IS NOT A FART!!!!!!! I’ve almost pooped myself 7 times. Don’t drink the whole bottle. Don’t drink the whole bottle. Don’t drink the whole bottle. I ate an açaí bowl, and 30min later I was pooping out the granola!!!!!! Make sure to stay hydrated. Lots of water. Also it might make your feel like puking and high possibility of wanting to die. Be cautious.”

LRT · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2020

“IT WORKS, I PROMISE!!!! Ok, so my doctor told me to drink one 10 oz bottle of magnesium citrate at 4PM this afternoon to empty my bowels before my hysterectomy in the morning. She said if the first one didn’t work, drink another one around 8PM. Ok, so I drank the one at 4PM. I swear, I have never had such awful stomach cramps! That was it though. So 8PM comes around. I drink the second bottle. 15 minutes later, I was having diarrhea so explosive and forceful that I was preparing myself for lift off to be launched into another galaxy somewhere deep into outer space. I’ll tell you what, if you ever have any constipation problems this stuff will fix it for you! As I mentioned above, I’m going in for a hysterectomy in the morning, but now? I’m wondering if I need to go in for anal reconstruction. This stuff is potent, y’all! If you plan on drinking this, don’t make any plans because you will be cemented to the toilet until your great-great-great grandkids graduate college!”

sweets March 7, 2020

“Immediately after drinking one bottle, I begin to feel incredibly bloated, but the real fun starts after about 4-5 hours. Sometimes I barely get my pants pulled down as I dive for the toilet. If I could time my bm's, sometimes they'd be 20 seconds straight of just sheer, vertical spray. I mean I actually sit there and laugh. After spending 20 minutes or so of having diarrhea with gail force winds , I can usually exit the bathroom. Bring air freshener with you bc I swear, after drinking mag cit, it smells something awful. Then for the next few hours my wife chants "run forrest run", because I literally have to jump up, clench those cheeks and made a mad dash to the bathroom. So in short, if you are gonna take this, do it in the morning. I would NOT recommend taking this after noon unless you want to be washing your bed sheets in the morning. And for the love of god, don't take this at work!!!!”

C February 1, 2021

“One word: Peepoo. I used Mag citrate for colonsocopy prep. 3 minutes after downing the entire bottle, I think" hmm I should have prepared more " my kids are in the bath still, having no idea I would be almost throwing them out the door. I wasn't fast enough for the first one, so closed the shower curtain and proceeded to shake the house with what can only be described as a minor earthquake. I turned the tap on and coughed as loudly as I could to try and mitigate the jet engine decibal sound emanating from my butt but we all knew what was happening. Gave up on leaving my perch so got my laptop and planted myself for the foreseeable future. 2 episodes of a shitty Netflix show and 300 experience points on duolingo before it was safe to poke my head out again. Word to the wise. Prepare! and if you don't have to drink the whole bottle, just Don't! Plus side, I can now explain my experience in French La diarrhèe n'est pas un mot assez gross pour décrire ce qui va vous arriver”

Still going February 9, 2020

“I hadn’t pooped in about a week. I wasn’t uncomfortable but I knew I was full of poop. I have taken this before and when I was in this situation, so I decided to do it again. I am 105 lbs and drank the whole bottle. (Last time I drank half) big mistake. HUGE mistake. I took it at 5pm and didn’t start to go until almost midnight. I was running back and forth to brown town until 2:30am. Thought my body evicted every evil piece of poop from my colon. I was wrong. I woke up at 6am and my butt hole was puckering while my stomach was yelling. I ran to the toilet, once again and eliminated what I hope was the baby food I ate when I was 8 months old. Thought that was over. WRONG. I kept going!! How in the world is there anything left in me? I’ve gone 3 more times since I started this review. I mean, it works but I’m afraid to leave the house. Last time I took half, I'd like to know why I drank the whole bottle. My butt hurts and I’m pooping again.”

Keith P May 28, 2021

“Took a bottle of this a couple days prior to my colonoscopy last year. I had pizza and cheeseburgers several hours before and this is probably one of my worst experiences. Within 2 hours my posterior felt like a demon was summoned and was spewing forth hot lava. Additionally I was farting loud enough to probably summon a few more demons and and frequently enough to power the city of Paris for a year, with each fart issued forth more fire and brimstone from the deepest depths of Hades. I recommend this stuff, though only as a last resort of severe constipation, in any case, your toilet doesn’t stand a chance.”

Uh-idk · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2020

“So I drank a whole bottle of this stuff around 6:30pm last night. Stomach felt bubbly but I ended up sleeping through the night, nothing happened. I woke up this morning and lost hope. That was until I took my first sip of coffee, then everything was full swing from there. I can't even get comfy in bed without needing to get up and run to the bathroom. So when you drink this stuff just know, comfortability is no longer an option. You WILL be in the bathroom every 5 min like I am right now. It's kinda like an edible, right when you think it isn't working, it does.”

Anonymous September 20, 2020

“Maybe I’m just broken, but magnesium citrate hasn’t worked for me. I’ve been hospitalized for severe constipation. I had some MiraLax with lunch & chugged a 10oz bottle of Magnesium Citrate 1.5hrs after dinner. I thought this was a good combo for someone with my level of constipation experience. 1st mistake: taking it at night. I was already bloated but WOW. The gas & bloating was at a whole new level. I couldn’t even move without feeling like I’d pop. I was the blueberry girl in Willy Wonka. At 1 am, I fell sleep. At 10 the next morning, I was finally able to leave bed. I had a steady stream of butt pee and then, that all-too-familiar feeling of constipation. I was able to fart out a few soft pellets the rest of the day, but that’s it. I’m still severely bloated with sharp cramps. It’s been 26 hours since I chugged MC and I’m left constipated with a burning cinnamon ring, a balloon belly and gas to power New York City. I’m a lean, active 24yr old (mostly vegan.) Why can’t I go?”

anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2020

“Took a whole bottle of the lemon flavor along with miralax and benefiber at about 8 pm. I had my first movement at 12am. pretty sure I birthed whatever was blocking me followed by the watery squirts. I made the mistake of thinking this was the end of it. It is now 5 am and I am having watery episodes back to back. The cramps are far worse than any period cramps and my ring of fire is in fact on fire. Vaseline and baby wipes will be your best friend, and if you have cramps the heating pad helps. I also personally got very bloated and kinda felt sick. This stuff is potent it will definitely clean you out and do it’s job!! (disclaimer, DO NOT TRUST A FART ON THIS!!)”

Jmom · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 12, 2019

“Quick tip: make sure you drink a lot of water with magnesium citrate. If you chug a bottle and nothing is happening, you most likely are a little dehydrated because your body need to fluids for the MC to work properly. MC pulls moisture from your intestinal walls to function right and if you don't have enough fluids, it takes longer to take effect. Hope this helps!”

Sav · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

“Only use this as a last resort, it’s some intense stuff. It’s been over 24hrs and I’m still feeling the effects. I’m exhausted and tired of my stomach feeling the way it does. I highly recommend getting diaper rash cream, because you’ll most likely need it. Do not, unless told by your doctor, take a whole bottle of this stuff, it’s been one of the worst experiences of all my 20 years.”

Finally Relief January 1, 2021

“I am 120# & did not feel confident with taking the full bottle of magnesium citrate. I drank 6oz w/ 3 8oz glasses of water at 6PM. No food 4 hours before that. Rumbling in abdomen/flatulence. 2 bowel motions following. Nothing extreme but helped. It is 10PM now, still some flatulence, abdomen feels better. I plan on taking the rest of the magnesium citrate tomorrow morning a few hours after breakfast/coffee. I recommend the magnesium citrate. I have been drinking a ton of water these past couple weeks, that may have helped with smoother BM & no burning. The cherry flavor was not tasty but bearable. I felt nauseous for about a half hour, lying down on the bed with legs raised & deep breathing helped. The nausea passed & has not come back. My advice is to not drink the entire bottle in one sitting, drink lots of water & Gatorade alternately, eat a few hours beforehand & plan on not eating for at least 6 hours after, breathe deeply, relax as best as you can, have your phone & a book on hand, hopefully you will find comfort & relief. :) Happy 2021!”

Dumbkore October 5, 2020

“10/10 will clear you out. After chugging the entire bottle and downing half a gallon of water, I bloated real bad and felt nauseous. And then two hours later I was peeing from my ass. No really, I couldn’t leave the toilet. When drinking this be sure to have some soothing wet wipes and butt cream. Ya gonna need it .”

Wesley · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

“Listen to me. I didn’t use the restroom for 8 days. I thought I wasn’t going to make it. I was told to get a suppository and I was not feeling that. After research I found this. I drank the entire bottle in hopes to pass whatever was blocking me. Well about two hours later I felt a bubbling in my stomach, by then I thought this stuff was a joke and I would have to go the ER and get this surgically removed. I got to the toilet and everything I ate for those 8 days came out of me as a hot smelly liquid. If you're willing to spend an hour or two on the toilet and get your intestines cleaned out to the max this is the way to go. But I warn you, this is not for the weak.”

Why didn’t i read these 1st · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

“Went to an urgent care with severe back pain, bloating, the works, that the normal stool softeners/laxatives weren’t helping. After some Xrays I was told to buy 2 bottles of this magnesium citrate. THANK BABY JESUS I only drank one and not TWO at about 8pm. The doctor said to take it at bedtime. DON’T TAKE IT AT BEDTIME! From 9-2:30pm I had cramps that could only be compared to child birth, then came the fun stuff at 2:30AM. Currently I am sit stupidly at 4:30AM reading the comments that I barely glanced over before jumping into this, now I praying for this to be over. It works but never again will I willing take this. I swear I can still taste it when it’s clearly made it’s way through my system”

SpookyPotato · Taken for less than 1 month May 15, 2021

“This is my second time taking it. I went to the doctor for sharp pain in my abdomen and he took some x-rays and told me I was constipated badly again. So he told me to take magnesium citrate again. This product definitely works. Took it around 6pm and had to go to the bathroom around 8:30pm to 9pm. You will literally pee out of your butt. Not joking. The reason I rated this a 7 is because the excruciating burning I got after going to the bathroom like 6 times after I took this. It makes your bottom raw. It was just so bad. But other than that yes it clears you out and turns your stool into water.”

Raw and sore · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2020

“I went to the ER for a kidney stone, and the X-ray showed I was really backed up as well. So the ER doc had me drink a bottle of mag citrate. About two hours in my stomach was making sounds that would summon demons and then I exploded. I was pooping firey hot lava for over 12 hours. It's been over 24 hours and my stomach is still angry and I still have diarrhea. Bloody hemmys, poor butt hole, probably doesn't have skin left. Do not use this unless you absolutely have to.”

Dr. Stool · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2015

“I had been stopped up for about a week & went to the cabinet to grab ole reliable Mag citrate. I drank 32oz of water before drinking 10oz of grape flavored citrate, then drank 3 cups of coffee and ate a greasy hamburger. One hour later I ran to the toilet and what happened in there reminded me of sounds and explosions I heard while serving in Iraq. It was total destruction and that poor toilet didn't stand a chance. It was a 4 flusher & I recommend having baby wipes and soft toilet paper handy for at least 24 hours.”

Vicky October 19, 2020

“Dr told me to prep for colonoscopy using magnesium citrate. I drank the whole bottle of this & I thought I would need an ambulance. This pain was equal to childbirth & a kidney stone. I had some severe bad reaction. I made it through alive, but all night long I was moaning & writhing around in sheer excruciating pain “10”. I seriously thought it might be the med of me. The Dr or nurses never heard of such a bad reaction before. I felt like I drank a bottle of poison. It did seem like a severe allergic reaction. I was so sick, I had to cancel my colonoscopy the next day, and redo it all again a few weeks later using an alternative replacement the dr gave me. But it may be wise, to test out drinking a smaller portion of this First on another day & see how things go, before a colonoscopy. They have many different options. FYI, it did do it’s job & work as far as flushing out the colon, but it was the TOP worst pain I’ve ever experienced in my whole 50 years.”

Tom · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2019

“I hadn’t taken a dump in 2 days, and since I’m a 23 year old man I decided not to put up with it and bought this. Took it at about 6:30PM and nothing for the first few hours. I went to bed at about 11 and woke up at 6:30AM ready to go. Unleashed the wrath of kutulu on my toilet. It persisted through the afternoon and I had to leave work because I don’t get paid enough to risk pooping myself. All in all good product. It has made me reevaluate the amount of spicy foods I eat.”

KevinATL · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2015

“Magnesium Citrate is the nuclear option. If this stuff doesn't work, you ought to think about going to E.R. Only use this when you can stay home for about 12 hours. I drink 1 ten ounce bottle and about 16 ounces of water. If it doesn't kick in after four hours I'll drink another half bottle and drink more water. The more water you drink, the better and sooner it will work. Plan on multiple trips to the toilet and when you're sure there couldn't possibly be any more, stay put for another hour. Also, and this is important, once you drink it, don't trust a fart!!!”

Shakin · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2019

“So I am typing this from the toilet LOL. I’ve been severely constipated for a full week. I’m talking about severe abdominal cramping, extreme bloating and couldn’t eat anything with getting nauseous! So I drank about 3/4 of magnesium citrate bottle around 9PM. I woke up at 7AM and I can’t figure if I’m peeing or pooping it is all like water!! Haha but I will say I feel 10X better so I highly recommend this if you are having constipation! The cherry is the best flavor FYI.”

Anonymous April 23, 2019

Citrate of Magnesia (magnesium citrate): “I started my day off in a terrible mood. My stomach was aching, I couldn’t sleep and my belly was distended. After speaking to a friend he advised me about this product. I quickly ran to my 1987 mustang with the top off and rushed to the local pharmacy. With pain in my eyes I found the product I was searching for. I bought the root beer flavor because it’s da best. I opened it before paying and with one gulp it was gone. I don’t recommend drinking this hot but I needed it. I took the empty bottle up to the counter and paid for it. Reasonably priced I might add. I stepped back in to my hot rod and drove off. Unfortunately I took the scenic route. Nothing in sight other than trees. I began to feel a strange sensation in my gut. I took it as a playful fart and kept driving. A warm feeling quickly surrounded my cheeks. I pulled over as fast as I could and ran to the nearest tree. ...I would not recommend this unless you are at home.”

WOW · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2020

“Last night I went to the hospital for severe stomach pains, bloating, nausea, and lack of appetite. The ER Doctor gave me a 10oz magnesium citrate (MC) bottle and I waited until 2p.m. today to take the whole thing. HOLY COW...I have been living on the toilet since 4p.m and it’s now 8p.m. The pain is completely gone in my stomach! Make sure to have your phone charged so you can catch up on your favorite show - you might be in the bathroom for a while!”

Waterfall · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2019

“I have IBS really bad. I get constipated every 3-4 days. I had ultrasounds, CT scans, laparoscopic surgery, and much much more done to figure it out. They said I had the biggest blockage they’ve ever seen and gave me a bottle of MC. I’ve only ever tried the lemon, I’m a wimp and have to take a nausea med with it because my body rejects it without the med. (not like this for everyone) it is uncomfortable at first when having to chug it because it cramps and makes me super nauseated. But besides that, within 4-8 hours I’m wishing for some butt ointment because man am I on fire. Highly recommend just doing the whole bottle if really backed up. Only taking a small portion doesn’t really work for me. Hope this helped ”