User Reviews for Magnesium citrate

Also known as: Citrate of Magnesia, Citroma, LiquiPrep

Learn more about Magnesium citrate.

Magnesium citrate Rating Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 199 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Magnesium citrate to treat Constipation

"Getting ready to ditch Linzess’s crazy priced self! It works but it’s expensive. If your insurance will even cover it.... I have tried it all!!!! 800 mg of Mg citrate per day will clean you out per day ! I’ve been searching fo an over the counter solution. Gobbling Exlax works too but just ain’t right!"

Ponchohunter (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Having Opiate induced constipation and on methadone, bowel movements are a commodity and a gift. On my fourth day of no-pooping I began to panicky and read about MC. Went to the pharmacy picked up the lemon lime flavour brand of Citrodan. I actually drank half the bottle on the way home and within 45 minutes I was on the toilet excreting the most foul smelling bowel movement I have ever had. The next few hours were a bit uncomfortable ; gas, gurgling, running to the toilet and some cramping. This stuff does what it is supposed to do with fervour and dedication. Be prepared and stay in. It's best to do it in the morning so you have all day to expel. Drink lots of water throughout the day and wash . It does smell bad coming out."

Sizzolino2312bam October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I just drank a bottle not due to constipation but due to that sluggish, stomach virus feeling that's been lingering around a week now. It's probably from eating too much greasy foods who knows! When I get this feeling I definitely turn to this for a GOOD CLEANING OUT! I give it a few hours and it works EVERYTIME!!!"

Pinkdoll September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well, was backed up for almost 4 weeks. After 2 weeks went in to ER, got lactulose. No success after being told to eat more fibre too. Went back 4 days later. I had an x ray that showed a lot of stool. Try some citro-dan. Had little success. Took another the next day. No success. Was getting pretty rough. Went back and told to try restoralax. 3 days and was able to go a little bit but it would not budge the rest. Went back again. Told to try suppositories. Well been using them every night for 4 nights. Decided to use one tonight also took latulose and fiber tabs and metimusul. Had some BM. Took Citro-Mag after BM and water. 2 hours later I felt al ot come out. Was getting a pale clay look of stool before. Got back to normal color and running. Hope it stays clear."

Combo stack (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After a week of sharp pain in my right lower abdomen progressively getting worse I ended up in the ER. I thought I had an ovarian cyst. The doctor ordered tests to rule out kidney stones or appendicitis. I was diagnosed with impacted bowel! I had been going regularly so it was a surprise although I do take Norco regularly for back pain. Apparently I had a ball of stool stuck somewhere higher up. I was sent home with a bottle of MC and drank half the bottle as recommended with plenty of water around midnight. I didn't sleep well from the pain and had a decent BM at 6 AM. Then nothing and still in pain. It is now 7:30 AM and I decided to drink the other half in hopes that this will pass."

462xyz September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was skeptical at first but I went to sleep at 12 then woke up at 5:50 to take the most massive liquified dump ever. It didn't feel horrible and didn't feel bad. I weighed myself before and after and lost 3 lbs in waste and water. That was the first restroom experience. Apparently it lasts 2 days so hopefully it'll be in time for my testing for the army haha."

JeepManNate (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Didn't have a bowel motion for a week and finally somehow found the will within me to drink this stuff. Was on the pot within half an hour and I have gotta say, I'm a new woman"

livtylerjk August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I've been backed up for a good 2 weeks now, I finally went to the doctor yesterday after trying home remedies, laxatives from the store, etc my pain had been horrible, I've called out of work the past two days, I can barely move, they did an X-ray and I'm full of gas pockets, not stool or poop just gas. They recommended me 3 bottles of this liquid magnesium citrate, 1 a day for the next 3 days. I did one last night yes I've pooped just watery nothing normal but I'm still in pain, so I sent my mom to the store today for gas x, lemons and charmemile tea, I'm still in pain, so I'm about to drink another bottle of this, can anyone relate? Should I go back to the doctor? Is this stuff gonna help the gas pockets? I just want to be over this"

Hcky27 (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I drank a 10oz bottle of lemon flavored at 6pm last night and thru the night my tummy giggled and rumbled. This morning at 6 am I went to the bathroom and at 7 am but that's it. I'm disappointed in this stuff because I still feel bloated ad constipated. Any suggestions on how to help it work?"

Shelly 1971 August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed this for an upcoming colonoscopy and had to take two full bottles of it. A day apart. It gave me a very bad headache and made me feel bloated . My system is slow anyway which is why I'm getting the procedure . It definitely works but I didn't get very dramatic results with the first bottle . I don't think I will ever drink anything lemon or lime again for a while !"

SFOgal August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been constipated all week and nothing provided any relief. My mom told me about MC. I have the day off so I drunk the entire bottle. Why in the world did I do that *sigh*. An hour after taking it, my stomach started to rumble like a loud motorcycle and I felt a little moist back there. What happened next was nothing short of a darn exorcism. I felt a little nauseous while on the throne and my legs got numb but I was fearful of leaving my porcelain safety net. 3hrs later , trumpet farts, numb legs, sore buttand tired from a intestinal rollercoaster; I've found relief."

Pooptastic (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This product always works. Only downside is slight memory loss after going to the bathroom because you'll poop your brains out!!!"

Jylynn August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Thank the lord for this stuff! I had an operation that left me severely constipated for a week and was ready to do anything to get relief. I felt very nauseous immediately after drinking, but that got better within an hour or two. There was some mild cramping, but nothing as bad as a few days without a BM! I would highly recommend this, just be sure you clear the rest of your day, as it really cleans you out! The directions said to drink half to the full bottle, and I ended up drinking all 10oz. Worked great, didn't find it to be 'too much' or anything, and I'm a pretty small person."

Mw1019 (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have used magnesium citrate three times and it works like magic! I have gastro issues that are undiagnosed as of now so needless to say I get very backed up, bloated, and feel pregnant. One bottle of the grape drink and fireworks in the bathroom every time! Each time that I go, I feel relieved and in a much better mood. I believe that my body is responding to getting rid of all of the toxic poo and thanking me for it. Before my stomach is hard and I look pregnant. After it is very squishy and I feel like I lose five or more pounds. It is a miracle drink. Please take this if you have any of these issues. It will save you a trip to the ER. "

Fireworks in Toilet Guaranteed July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This stuff is a miracle worker. Had indigestion and was just really backed up for a days and was nauseous so I decided to get this to just clean my system out and boy did it do the job. Literally started working like 30 min after drinking the whole bottle. Drank it at about 10am and now it's almost 1am and I still been running back and forth to the toilet. I feel like I've used the bathroom about 25 times today LOL. I'm feeling refreshed and much better. I feel like I'm never gonna stop pooping. Make sure you're free for the entire day and can be home when you take this stuff"

Kk the magnesium citrate user (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wish very much I could give MC a glowing review like so many other reviewers. Unfortunately I can't, as it's been hit or miss for me. I was given MC several years ago to clear me out before surgery. Back then it worked, actually a little too well. I started going about 20 min after drinking the bottle (10 oz lemon lime flavor, not too bad) and I was still having spells of poop water 48 hrs later. This time is a different story. I'm in the middle of a bout with severe acute constipation and was given MC in the ER after my usual home remedies (Miralax, Senakot S, Fleet enemas) didn't work and I got desperate. It's been 8 hrs. since drinking the MC and nothing has happened except some tummy rumbling. So I'm still desperate :("

PoopieTortie (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was constipated for about two weeks when my doctor recommended I take magnesium citrate. Took it around 5pm didn't start pooping until about 7pm and have literally gone to the bathroom over 13 times! It is now 6:30am and has been 13 hours since I drank MC. I'm STILL having diarrhea...."

Nick8876 July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Writing this review from the comfort of my toilet....After spending the last two weeks traveling and eating out more than ever, I was in dire need of a #2. Drank the whole bottle of cherry flavored around 5:30 pm and the urge struck around 9:00 pm....2:31 am and still rollin. Works like a charm, but plan to take this with PLENTY of time before bed. Also *DO NOT* drink it hot...left it in my car while I ran errands....the nausea hits like a ton of bricks within the first sip!"

Porcelain Queen (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Oh my goodness, this works like magic! For two weeks I had been in severe pain in the tummy area. I ended up going to the ER thinking there was something wrong with my gallbladder. Only problem was that I was SOOO backed up. They told me to drink some of this and it would work in an hour or so. Lets just say it was a river haha!! If you plan on taking this, make sure you're by a toilet! Once it starts you won't stop for a bit. Also remember to hydrate before and after. Before going I personally felt a little bloated and uncomfortable. But once it works you'll feel much better!"

Zosimus July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This stuff is amazing. I too have bathroom issues and can go 3 days without going to the bathroom. This time it was a week. I drank it Friday, cleaned me right out and today I'm back to being regular. I think I lost 5 pounds! I was so surprised I didn't bloat for 2 days after."

Works wonders! June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This stuff will GET YOU OUT of a jam!! Like many other commenters on this site, I write from the porcelain throne, after researching for hours whether or not this stuff is for me. I drank the entire bottle of Cherry MC. Then I drank a bottle of water (this part was hard, I was pretty nauseated). The water is what works it down! It took two or three hours to work for me. Since beginning this journey, it's been almost 11 hours and I'm still going strong. Scared to drink more water because THIS GIRL IS ON FIRE. I don't want to keep going but I need to stay hydrated. I feel relief from constipation, only to be met with the burning of liquid fire gushing out of my bum. Worth it. Baby Wipes, Water and A&D are a must to ride this ride."

Firesharter June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've heard this stuff is the Liquid Plumber Of The Butt, but so far I'm unimpressed. I felt mildly backed up and my boyfriend recommended this to clear myself out. I drank a 10oz bottle of the lemon (the taste wasn't bad- I will take this over cough syrup any day) at 10:30pm. 5 hours and 2.5 bottles of water later, I've had a lot of stomach gurgling & bloating and, after straining because of no real urge to go, tiny squirts of liquified poop here and there. Farts thus far have been farts, and I remain skeptical."

Waiting4Poops (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"MC works like magic, I swear! I tried everything to pass the large hard stool. It was so painful that I gave up hope and headed to the ER. My doctor told me to buy a bottle of MC and to only drink half of it and wait for the recommended 6 hours before going for the other half. That's what I did. After about 2 hours of laying down waiting for it to kick in and half way through these comments I decided that maybe I should just finish the bottle. Except the second I stood up to go grab the bottle I got so nauseous followed by an immediate need to use the bathroom. It hurt so bad "pass the plug" but there was no stopping it. Basically the second I sat down was a hold on for dear life moment. Once that was clear the relief was instant."

Iwoulddoanythingforrelief June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After being backed up for over two weeks, being asked how many months pregnant I was, and several suppositories, I tried MC grape flavor. It tasted AWFUL! Within 15 mins, I finished the bottle and immediately felt nauseous. An hour later I threw up like it wasn't anyone's business! 3 hours into it, I decided to use fleet liquid glycerin which helped my pass the "plug". I then went 3 hours with nothing. For the past 2 hours, I've rushed to the throne and have made it rain! I'm talking massive explosions and I know there's still more. I've probably lost 5lbs thus far, no lie! I highly recommend taking MC on an empty stomach because you will feel nauseous. Stay hydrated & use baby wipes. I longer look 7 months pregnant!! Happy pooping!! :)"

BackupforDAYS June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wow! These comments are sooo funny. I am severely constipated few times a month. I can only go a little bit everyday and its rock hard and dry. I drank 1/2 a bottle of the lemon (sour but yummy) and followed with 2 big glasses of water. I feel a little nauseated but nothing too bad. Its 11:15pm so hopefully have some relief before I sleep tonight...or I may wake up a messy situation, lol."

Poop Deprived June 2, 2017