User Reviews for Magnesium citrate

Also known as: Citrate of Magnesia, Citroma, LiquiPrep

Magnesium citrate Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Magnesium citrate to treat Constipation

"I am taking this as prep for a colonoscopy because of my chronic constipation. Took at 5pm, full bottle and 16 oz of water. Stomach started bubbling almost immediately. 2 hours later things slowly started to move. At the 3 hour mark I was going a little bit, 1 good water squirt ever 10 -15 mins. No cramping or anything. Went to bed at 9pm. Woke up at 2:30am and let's just say the rest of the morning included a lot of bleach, a washing machine and a shower - you get the picture! 12 hours into this and my stomach is still bubbling but not much else. The fun part is tonight I still have to do the suprep and then again in the morning. The prep for a colonoscopy is no joke! Lord help me."

Holy smokes (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2018

"I have used this successfully on 3 separate occasions after getting constipated when taking pain medication. Just make sure to drink plenty of fluids before and after. This last time I was poopless for 4 days. I drank half a bottle of berry flavored MC 3 hours ago and voila! No more constipation. I didn't have any cramping and only mildly gassy. You'll know when it's coming, you'll feel the heat approaching your butt and before you know it your have been cleared. Good luck!"

LavaButt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2018

"I went to the Dr, he talked about hernia but focused on me taking this to pass my stools. It worked after 14 hrs, lasted max 20 mins. Lying on my couch waiting for the sharp pains to subside in my back and side. No nausea just sharp pain. I recommend this product if you want to clean yourself out."

Warprize (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

"I was constipated for like 3 weeks and as soon as I took this I went. I had the cherry flavoured one and I poured it in a cup in put about 5 ice cubes in it. The cherry one is not bad at all it is very sour tho but I ate a strawberry popsicle on the side while I drunk it. It worked in like 10minutes honestly...If you want great results you have to drink the whole bottle."

Anonymous April 13, 2018

"Goodness this worked! Plug came out first but it hasn't even started..oh boy it's gonna be a long day. Cleared schedule and stocked up on super soft toilet paper. No more cheese for me."

Valoo (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

"I first heard about Magnesium Citrate from my Dr after 5 days without a BM. I went to urgent care and got an xray to find that I had hard stool. She gave me a bottle and it worked after 1.5 hours. It made me a bit nauseous and lasted about 6 hours after the initial dose. This last time around I'd been stopped up about 3 days. I took the full 10 oz bottle and it started working in 45 mins. This time however I've had a lot of cramping and abdominal pain. I'm not sure if its because I haven't been properly hydrated or a more serious problem. I've been steadily drinking water since and its been 2.5 hours since I drank the bottle. Hopefully the cramps subside soon."

Shegoes (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

"I have been stopped up for 5 days, drank some of this and went to the bathroom almost immediately. I tried everything else before this, my doctor told me about it but you can get it at your local pharmacy for 3$"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

"I am usually pretty regular, but after taking Vicodin for dental surgery pain, I was stopped up for 7 days. I Googles laxatives, and MC came up. I picked up two bottles at CVS, the Cherry and Lemon Lime flavors, and drank the entire cherry bottle at about 5pm when I got home, followed by a lot of water. I did feel nauseous for about an hour after drinking it, but thankfully it passed. When I had no results, I decided to drink a mint tea and go to bed. I awoke at 4am to go pee - no other urges, and while in the bathroom, I'm like, well let's try pooing, and sure enough without any trumpets or fanfare, a nice solid bowel motion came out. I wiped, thought - wow, that was it? Nope! 5 mins later, I had to go again, this was "sludgey" followed by a river gushing out of my butt. No pain, no discomfort, just evacuation, then nothing. I literally lost 3lbs in 5 mins. I seem to have no other urges, so if that was it, it was perfection. I just didn't like the nausea part, but a small price to pay."

Fartinator (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2018

"I'm not sure why this works faster for some, but after a few days of no BM, I drank a full 10 oz bottle of mag cit at 5:30 p.m. and nothing happened until 3:50 a.m. (almost 10.5 hours later). No stomach cramping at all and very loose stool, but only once. Made me feel so much better! I will keep some in stock for the future!"

Kholc (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2018

"I was supposed to take Magnesium Citrate for a colonoscopy prep. It basically just came out like water with not much stool removal. The next day I drank some fluids and ate a little bit of food because the colonoscopy was luckily cancelled. I say that because the next day, I was light-headed, off balance, foggy, had a nasty headache, then my kidneys started to hurt. That's when I went to the doctor. Test results show that I had low sodium (electrolytes). Apparently that is a rare reaction to Magnesium Citrate. So I'm very thankful the colonoscopy was cancelled and I didn't do a 2nd day of prep."

ChocoCherryLove (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2018

"After a trip to Urgent Care for pain & pressure, the doctor told me I needed to be cleaned out since she could feel an impaction in my abdomen. She told me to drink 10 oz the first day & if I didn't get a clear liquid coming out then I should drink half another 5-10 oz the next day. It took about 4 hours to work and then....WOW! I was on the toilet a lot!!! It finally slowed down about 4 hrs later but I still had to go when I woke up the next a.m. Since I never passed clear water, I took 5 more oz 5 hrs ago and now it has kicked in. I'll just say the stuff works! I didn't pass a plug like others...mine has been a like a faucet was turned on. No cramping or bad urgency, but you do have to stay close to home and I highly recommend Baby wipes!!"

Pumpkinpoo December 28, 2017

"Was constipated 2 days before using. Tried milk of magnesia to no avail. This took me from constipated to diarrhea in a matter of hours and I only drank half a bottle. The taste was quite sour but washed away quickly."

Tileflower (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2017

"I've taken this before surgery and when backed up before. Right now I'm having increasing lower abdominal pain for a couple days now. I finally drank 1/2 a bottle about 9pm. It's 10:42pm and I'm getting some gurgling but nothing more. I hope this works because I'm in big pain. I have work at 4am so I'm concerned about my morning experience. Fingers crossed."

Need to poo? (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 6, 2017

"I had very hard impacted stools that I tried to expel for several hours. My husband bought magnesium citrate and I drank the entire 10 oz bottle. Nothing happened - so I got into a warm bath and I finally was able to get rid of it one inch at a time. (sorry to be so disgusting). Well, 6 hours later, the diarrhea started and went on every 2-3 minutes until I went to bed. I got up this morning and felt better, but again, I have diarrhea and it explodes from me. So, the only thing this drug did for me was to give me diarrhea so I will never use it again. Hopefully, if I stay away from cheesey food, I won't need anything like this."

GailRoo November 22, 2017

"I have MS and I am also on hydrocodone for pain. I do not have a poop schedule. I’m used to going 4-5 days without a poo. This time it’s been 9 days. Chugged the entire bottle at 7:20pm. It’s now 9:12pm. Nothing. A little rumbly in my tumbly and slight queasiness, but no “hallelujah “ moment of blissful intestinal purging. I hope this works. I’m miserable!!!"

ConcretePoo November 19, 2017

"I went to the ER with severe stomach and chest pain and was told I have a partial blockage and to try MC to help pass it. I have a nerve issue which makes my bowels move very slowly so I get constipated a lot, though this was my first really severe case so I decided to try it. I took half the bottle yesterday and nothing happened so I thought it wouldn’t ever work. Took the other half today and it took about 6-7 hours to work but it definitely works, a little too well! Got the blockage out after a lot of time and straining and thought that was it I’m better. Nope! I have now been in and out of the bathroom for 5 hours! I gave it 8 stars because it does work but it says “gentle” and it is anything but gentle!! Send help lol!"

Katpoop (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

"I used this for Pre-surgery prep .Took one dose the day before laparoscopy surgery to clean out bowels ... quite unsatisfactory. I am 5’5”, 125 lbs - not a big eater. Took 4.5 hrs for 1st movement, 7.5 hrs for 2nd, then slight action through night. Only after surgery (24 hrs after taking the dose) did it totally and finally work. Was lucky that I did not have accident during surgery. Just wanted to share my less than favorable experience."

ViMug (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

"I have a history with hard stools. Every once in a while I won’t have a bowel movement for a couple of days and once I do, it’s very hard to pass. I stumbled across this product and about 30-45 minutes after drinking half the bottle, I felt the rumble of the volcano in my stomach. You’ll know you’re ready to go on the pot when you have to hold in your bowel movement because it feels like you’re going poop water. It’s a relief let me tell you. After your poop you’re likely to have the farts for a few hours and they will most definitely stink. But the product works every time."

jesqu00a November 5, 2017

"Started out with a severe UTI, prior to that movements were normal and regular, think I got dehydrated and since I have IBS, doesn’t take a lot to throw off my system. So for two weeks I was fighting this but once the UTI was resolved I still had this pressure/pain on bladder/pelvic area. Doctor prescribed otc Magnesium Citrate (1 10oz bottle) along with a small bottle of GatorAid, I am not a fan of GatorAid but she wanted to keep electrolites in balance. Poured them together and sipped on this for about 3 hours. It took 8 hrs to kick in but I never experienced any stomach pains, cramps or watery diarrhea, but wow will it clean you out. Don’t plan on any out of your home activities, you will regret it. Good luck, good health to all."

cheezwhiz (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2017

"Getting ready to ditch Linzess’s crazy priced self! It works but it’s expensive. If your insurance will even cover it.... I have tried it all!!!! 800 mg of Mg citrate per day will clean you out per day ! I’ve been searching fo an over the counter solution. Gobbling Exlax works too but just ain’t right!"

Ponchohunter (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

"Oh it works and it works well. Took about 3 hours to kick in and now I have the dribbles. It’s like freaking Niagra Falls now! Beginning to wonder if I am going to have to take an Imodium to counteract the MC. I drank the full bottle over the course of an hour and followed it up with some water."

Fittsie October 16, 2017

"Having Opiate induced constipation and on methadone, bowel movements are a commodity and a gift. On my fourth day of no-pooping I began to panicky and read about MC. Went to the pharmacy picked up the lemon lime flavour brand of Citrodan. I actually drank half the bottle on the way home and within 45 minutes I was on the toilet excreting the most foul smelling bowel movement I have ever had. The next few hours were a bit uncomfortable ; gas, gurgling, running to the toilet and some cramping. This stuff does what it is supposed to do with fervour and dedication. Be prepared and stay in. It's best to do it in the morning so you have all day to expel. Drink lots of water throughout the day and wash . It does smell bad coming out."

Sizzolino2312bam October 14, 2017

"Wasn’t really effective until 9 hours after I took it. But had severe stomach pain, cramping and bloating. It’s like a bomb went off. Standard OP from what I understand for a pre operative bowel cleanse. Decidedly unpleasant and not one I want to repeat. But it was effective in the end. If you do take it, I recommend the lemon flavor and refrigerating it first."

Ssandls00 October 13, 2017

"Well I just drank a bottle not due to constipation but due to that sluggish, stomach virus feeling that's been lingering around a week now. It's probably from eating too much greasy foods who knows! When I get this feeling I definitely turn to this for a GOOD CLEANING OUT! I give it a few hours and it works EVERYTIME!!!"

Pinkdoll September 17, 2017

"Well, was backed up for almost 4 weeks. After 2 weeks went in to ER, got lactulose. No success after being told to eat more fibre too. Went back 4 days later. I had an x ray that showed a lot of stool. Try some citro-dan. Had little success. Took another the next day. No success. Was getting pretty rough. Went back and told to try restoralax. 3 days and was able to go a little bit but it would not budge the rest. Went back again. Told to try suppositories. Well been using them every night for 4 nights. Decided to use one tonight also took latulose and fiber tabs and metimusul. Had some BM. Took Citro-Mag after BM and water. 2 hours later I felt al ot come out. Was getting a pale clay look of stool before. Got back to normal color and running. Hope it stays clear."

Combo stack (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017