User Reviews for Loxapine to treat Schizophrenia

Also known as: Adasuve

Loxapine has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 11 ratings for the treatment of Schizophrenia. 45% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Loxapine Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Loxapine

anon12345 · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2020

“Have been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and mild schizophrenia. Have been taking Effexor and Valium long term but psychiatrist decided to add in loxapine for agitation, extreme paranoia and mood swings. Have tried basically every med with all the side effects (seroquel, abilify, Zoloft, cipralex, Wellbutrin, adderall, clonazepine, divalproex, mirtazapine, hydroxyzine, amytriptyline and a bunch more). I actually feel normal for the first time in a very long time! I take 10mg loxapine at night which also helps me fall asleep and the only side effects so far are dry mouth and dizziness during the day and I would MUCH rather have these very minimal side effects than feeling crazy 24/7. I also suffer from restless leg syndrome and it doesn’t aggravate it. Was very scared to try an antipsychotic again but very pleased so far. Even helping with my depression symptoms and I don’t feel like my mood is just going to snap dramatically during the day anymore.”

Drugreview · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 14, 2019

“I was hearing voices to the point where I wasn't sleeping for 4 or 5 days straight. The voices would keep me up all night. I started Loxapine and within a few days the voices were quieter and I was sleeping almost normal again. Only getting woken up once or twice a night by voices. It has helped my delusions a bit as well, but not as much as the voices. I actually was able to lose weight on it too. Compared to gaining 20 pounds in one month on zyprexa. The side effects for me are very mild. It sedates you, so I take my dose at night. Overall it's been the best drug I've tried for schizophrenia so far.”

Lanarturo613 November 28, 2020

“Took this medicine for non stop thinking doc says its a symptom of psychosis. Made me anxious and akathesia just like all other antipsychotics have tried about 10 different ones. Did nothing for the thoughts. Took Ativan which helped me calm down a bit. Need new answers nothing works on me:/ atleast did not cause weight gain”

RxSurvivor · Taken for 10 years or more January 30, 2021

“Guys, the medicines you are taking ARE causing the mental illness. Reduce one medication at a time only. 10% of the LAST dose. Wait until you stabilize before reducing 10% of the latest dose taken. If you go too fast you will experience withdrawal side effects. If you take your time you will see drastic improvements and you will give your brain time to heal from this chemical lobotomy. God Bless. Effectiveness is -10 as with all brain altering medications.”

craig64 September 21, 2010

“This medicine completely changed my life in the way that my voices are at ease and I can function in society correctly. The side effects for me are severe tiredness. If I have to stay on loxapine I will, but because of the tiredness, I am exploring my options of something else.”

Kavikas · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 15, 2021

“Mostly allows me to sleep several hours a night and sometimes into the afternoon. Causes slowing of the metabolism which leads to weight gain supposedly it was supposed to be weight neutral according to my psychiatrist but I don't believe it. Causes sedation and yawning and the need to seek out a bed to lie down on about 30 minutes after it's taken. Makes you crave sugary and high fat foods. I do believe I hear less voices on it though but that's because it makes you sleep your life away so you're not deficient on sleep to cause voices.”

The Mad King August 8, 2016

“I switched to loxapine from risperidone because my doctor said that it wouldn't cause weight gain. Unfortunately, I did gain weight on this as well. It also had a sedative effect. But in terms of treating my symptoms, it works perfectly fine.”

chocobo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 17, 2015

“This medication worked for my hallucinations but I had involuntary blinking at all the different dosages I've tried. I was constipated thus causing me to have acne, had high blood pressure, and gained weight. Also, I felt so dehydrated to the point of getting headaches. I had troubles with being too sleepy to function.”

Joe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 22, 2020

“Loxapine has greatly improved my quality of life. I hear less voices, and don't see anything anymore. Still hear voices, but less. I sleep better too.”

Lasllaves · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 12, 2019

“Made me restless and gave me akathisia Still heard voices on it but I didn't take the 50mg a day like I was prescribed. I stuck to 25mg because of the akathisia.”

justwanttobefunctional October 21, 2016

“it works, hear less voices, but it's hard to get up in the morning, can't think, lose creativity , feel like a zombie, but you hear less voices”

Learn more about Schizophrenia