Loxapine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Loxapine: Loxitane, Loxitane C, Adasuve, Loxitane IM
Loxapine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Because no information is available on the use of loxapine during breastfeeding, an alternate drug may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Loxapine can elevate serum prolactin. The hyperprolactinemia is caused by the drug's dopamine-blocking action in the tuberoinfundibular pathway.
The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Meltzer HY, Fang VS, Goode DJ. Prolactin and neuroleptics: clinical implications for efficacy and toxicity. The effect of neuroleptics and alpha-methyl-para-tyrosine on serum prolactin levels in laboratory animals and man. Psychopharmacol Bull. 1978;14:5-7. PMID: 625539
2. Maguire GA. Prolactin elevation with antipsychotic medications: mechanisms of action and clinical consequences. J Clin Psychiatry. 2002;63(suppl 4):56-62. PMID: 11913677
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about loxapine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 5 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous antipsychotic agents
- Loxapine powder
- Loxapine inhalation
- Loxapine (Advanced Reading)
- Loxapine Inhalation (Advanced Reading)