User Reviews for Liothyronine

Also known as: Cytomel, Triostat

Learn more about Liothyronine.

Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal 8 reviews 24 medications

8.5
Underactive Thyroid 20 reviews 30 medications

Summary of Liothyronine reviews 28 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Liothyronine

For Underactive Thyroid: "I started taking sigmapharm brand liothyronine. Almost immediately I got terrible tremors that last for hours. I was taking a very low dose 25mcg. After a week I also got a hypoglycemia attack, and I am not diabetic. Discontinuing and going to try perrigo brand liothyronine."

Chrispoe (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have had Hashimoto''s thyroiditis since 2003. I've been on Armour; I've been on Naturthroid and I've been on Synthroid. it's been a struggle to keep the weight off or get any weight off. I diet and exercise very stringently. You won't believe this: 25 mcg Synthroid and 5 mcg twice a day Lyothyroninr (Cytomel, or T-3) and the weight is practically falling off. I started on it May 13, 2016. That's 4 weeks. It started a few days ago and is I'm losing over a pound a day, sometimes 2. I wish I had known. See, my body makes antibodies to the desiccated porcine thyroid, as well as to my own. That's supposedly very rare. They were three times as high on Armour and Naturthroid as my own thyroid, and it's pretty high anyway."

Janine Maria June 10, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "When I was first diagnoised the doctor gave me levothyroxine, which uses lactose as a binder for the chemicals. I had a huge reaction to the pill. I felt like I wanted to get out of my skin, Bad stuff. So I started taking the dessicated thyroid, which was much better and I have been on it for many years. Recently, one doctor changed to liothyroine . I got huge headaches that would not go away no matter what I took. In two days of taking the pills, I stopped taking it on my own and switched back to the one that I had been on for so long. The dosage now has to be increased, but at least I will not get the headaches."

Elaine33081 (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "OMG - I have been on levrothyroxine for 10 years and felt terrible - no memory, mental fog everyday. My doctor finally suggested trying liothronine in conjunction with the levro. I haven't felt this good in years. No more mental fog and feeling like my old self"

Sue W December 11, 2015

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on Cytomel for a couple of years. Then my dose got increased along with my Synthroid medication dose. I began having tremors, heart palpitations and tachycardia. It was a terrifying experience! My symptoms almost entirely went away when going off this medication but, I feel as though my heart was dramatically affected and I don't know yet whether or not it was actually even damaged."

Terrifying cardiac tachycardia December 6, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "Side effects was a rash in legs, abdomen....discontinued medication & so did the symptoms."

Tuscany 285 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "as a supplement to levothyroxine it has been a night and day difference. I no longer sleep all the time and can think clearly. I actually want to do things now."

nashdo June 4, 2015

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Total thyroidectomy in 2004 due to Papillary Thyroid Cancer. T4 monotherapy alone was horrible. I have been on Liothyronine since February and have regained my life."

Deb124 April 22, 2015

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Synthroid by itself was not effective. It is of great interest to me that so many other people have had the experience of being told by a physician that everything is fine while everything was, decidedly, NOT FINE! (making long story short due to length restriction. Details need space.) Large dosage of Synthroid ineffective, nurse practitioner certain nothing wrong, physician A dosage is ok but maybe a small bump, small effect for short period then return to prebump effect, concerned that observation due to psychological rather than physiological waited, physician B does further workup, physician B sees most of Syntroid dosage going to reverse T3 (physiologically ineffective) adds Cytomel, the improvement was immediate; not psych."

A Complicated Patient (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "After being hypothyroid for many years and having good results on Synthroid and natural thyroid, it went on backorder for a few months and I had to switch to Cytomel. I felt immediate changes, more alert and a little more energy. However, after taking it for a few years, about 70% of my hair fell out (in clumps and I tried everything to stop the hair loss), and I've had chronic insomnia, huge appetite increase, higher blood pressure, anxiety attacks, hot flashes, etc. "

jillianmarie83 February 25, 2015

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Can't take it because my heart rate won't go below 90."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "My doctor prescribed a dosage of 5mcg along with my Synthroid. My blood work always comes back with my TSH too high and my T3 too low. This seems to work on my tiredness but since I have been taking it (3 weeks), my whole body seems to be aching. I don't know if it is in my joints or in my bones."

Anonymous October 5, 2014

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I suffered for 5 years with Anxiety and Depression. I tried many, many antidepressants. Nothing worked. My T3 levels were very low but my TSH was only slightly high. One doctor treated me with Synthroid but I had no changes. I saw many doctors including an endocrinologist that told me that nothing was wrong with my thyroid. After spending many hours online looking for answers, I found an endocrinologist that said he would try treating me with Cytomel. Within a day I felt AMAZING! It was like someone put new batteries in my body! I am finally able to be happy and live life again! Truly a Miracle!"

Mich February 23, 2014

223 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "After thyroid removal, the horrible experience of synthroid, and finally getting on natural desiccated thyroid, I had to switch to t3 temporarily due to my rt3 being too high. The conversion was fairly easy, but a bit taxing on my adrenals. I had to be more careful of stressful situations for a little while. Overall, I am very happy with the t3 and may just stay with it. Although, dosing four times a day is tedious."

Mocristy (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2013

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on Synthroid only for 8 years after being diagnosed with Hypothyroidism . My dose was changed many times over that time frame by 4 different Endocrinologists but I still felt bad, weight gain, fogginess, depression, chronic fatigue you name it. 6 weeks ago I was put on 10 mcg of Cytomel by a new doc that I am seeing a 100 miles from my home town and I am happy to say for the first time in 8 years I have relief from my symptoms. I have lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks. I am happy not in a fog anymore and I have energy to enjoy life once again. The Cytomel made all the difference. "

Ash RN October 3, 2013

220 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on this for a day and my aches and pains have subsided. I will not give it a 10 because I am not "perfect" yet. "

69me (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "This medication has been a life saver for me. I don't know if it works really well for depression or if I was hypothyroid but it has saved my life and I am so very thankful for it."

me2buc (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2012

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "Added 0.5 mcg to my Tirosint in August - nothing much changed until last week when I started taking this 1 hour after my Tirosint - down 5 lbs in one week! I have changed nothing else."

JET513 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2012

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have gained 20 pounds in the last 2 months, feel really hungry all the time, am having a hard time breathing for about a month now. I do not know if the breathing is from the medication, air, or allergies. My thyroid is under control though."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2012

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have had hypothyroidism for almost my entire life. I have been on Synthroid and generic levothyroxine and never felt much better with all symptoms remaining. I finally got an endocrinologist to listen to me and he lowered my dose of Synthroid and gave me liothyronine. My depression lifted in 2 days, my cholesterol dropped 40 points and my energy level has never been this good. I am having a little difficulty with insomnia. I still struggle to lose even 1 pound but I'll still take the difference that I feel."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 2, 2012

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I had my thyroid removed 3 years ago. I have been on various T4 supplements since: Synthroid, levothyroxine, Tirosint and continued to complain of fatigue, fogginess, wt gain, achiness, shortness of breath at exercise. FINALLY switched doctors as my Indian doctor would not try Armour. The new nurse practitioner looked at my labs: high T4, nonexistent T3. She switched me back to Synthroid and decreased the dosage, then added, for the FIRST time, Cytomel (T3). Within 3 days I have noticed a HUGE difference. So happy and still know the time test. BUT, fog is lifting, energy level increasing, sleeping well, HAPPY. I am hoping this continues. Noticed a slight headache at first but not bad. Will continue to cautiously be excited that we are ON to something."

Bigi (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2012

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "After diagnosis of Grave's Disease I was given Synthroid. Took this alone for 20 years. Dosage was lowered from 0.150 to 0.125 when thought to be causing irregular heart beat. Had an "oblation" of nerves around heart area that was causing irregular beating and remained on 0.125 dosage feeling better. A new Endocrinologist had me add Liothyronine in a custom "compound" dosage of 2.5mcg and lowered Synthroid to 0.112. One measurement was high the other low hoping to balance the two. Didn't feel a lot of improvement. Noticed I was more irritable with upset stomach. Tried it for 2 months but quit- wasn't happy with it. I've started taking it again and have small improvements in mental clarity, regularity, but get migraines."

pending judgement August 8, 2011

For Underactive Thyroid: "The first day I took it, my constipation and heart flutters disappeared, and my energy came back. I believe I'll need a larger dose soon, but so far no complaints at all."

abbazwoman November 14, 2010

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "My doctor and I tried every T4 medication out there, and although I felt better I still wasn't right. After 2 years he switched me to Cytomel and I immediately knew I had found the solution. All the hypo symptoms disappeared - constipation, depression, weight gain and exhaustion. My cholesterol dropped to 140... in fact, all my blood work is excellent. It's very discouraging to know you're doing everything right - diet, exercise, sleep - and not only do your lab numbers not respond, but doctors tend to think you're not telling them the truth. Finally found a doctor that believed me; finally found the right medication. Life is good!"

Anonymous November 2, 2010

266 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I have been taking Cytomel to compliment Synthroid for 2 days and my life has already changed for the better! I feel alive and my severe sweating and hot flashes have subsided - so far. I am SO VERY happy now."

Shoo October 6, 2010

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate