User Reviews for Liothyronine

Also known as: Cytomel, Triostat

Learn more about Liothyronine.

Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal 9 reviews 26 medications

8.6
Underactive Thyroid 26 reviews 32 medications

7.6
Summary of Liothyronine reviews 35 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Liothyronine

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Cytomel is making my brain work so much better again! I tried it several years ago and it made me me jittery, I felt like I had a huge amount of caffeine in me.... not this time! I'm in peri menopause and I understand the estrogen dominance can be a thyroid hormone antagonist, making it difficult to convert. Cytomel has helped me feel almost entirely back to normal and I have the energy to exercise again!"

LittleDove32 May 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "Cytomel was great for me until it wasn't. Due to a pharmacist error of my Cytomel I'm now disabled for life due to thyrotoxicosis. My reg dosage 15mcgs daily,and for 3 months. I was given 150 mcgs daily. I also was taking 75mcgs T4 daily. I assumed I was dying and started to get my affairs in order. On the 4th refill the pharmacist caught his mistake and called my Dr. Because to this day there's been no data of any person having an overdose of T3 Cytomel for at least 3 months my Dr's have done there best. The American Thyroid Org. has no data on it either. I and many others have looked worldwide. So I'm asking for help on this site from anyone with info I can't except that I have permanent brain damage and such a compromised immune system. Thx"

Fionaswan May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "I was diagnosed with under active thyroid was given sertraline felt lethargic sleepy moody. Seen another doctor who added Liothyronine I'm no longer lethargic I cant thank my doctor enough I'm getting back to my old self."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "First, I diagnosed myself after being exhausted, unable to lose ANY weight even when I breast fed my son for a year. My periods were heavy and debilitating and no amount of exercise or diet allowed me to lose weight. Synthroid alone was clearly not enough, so after 14 years I switched endocrinologists. She called me a "doctor shopper", the first appointment, and said being cold all the time and 2 hour naps a day were NOT related to my thyroid. She reluctantly prescribed 5mcg of generic Cytomel BID. After only 4 days, the naps are a thing of the past! I cannot wait to see her face when she hears it worked! WHY are these doctors locked into ONLY care about "the numbers"?"

RootsGal (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have had hypothyroidism for over twenty years now. Took high levels of Synthroid for years and felt ok but not perfect. Started Cytomel 3 years ago, regulated dosage until it was just right. It takes a little time to regulate it to your exact dosage but be patient, it's worth it."

Bev7113 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 11, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I've been on Synthroid, Levoxyl, or Levothyroxine for the past 11 years at a suppressive dose and did fine. When my endocrinologist took me off of TSH suppression by lowering my dose of T4 I was miserable. Within in weeks I was exhausted, cold all the time, had brain fog, was depressed, and needed additional sleep. When I told my endocrinologist she continued to lower my dose (twice) because my TSH was suppressed. This caused me to be completely disfunctional at work and at home...I was so exhausted and everwhelmed I feared losing my job and my husband (no libido for over 6 months) and low productivity at work. I begged my endocrinologist to add T3. The dose was too low at first to make a difference but after reestablishing with a new"

Dana# (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 29, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Was treated with antidepressants and anti-psychotics for almost a year since the doctor's opinion was that my symptoms of weight gain, lack of energy, depression and dizziness were due to psychosis. Only after a year I was given a blood test and told that I have autoimmune disease. No longer take any antidepressants or anti-psychotics, only take 12.5 mcg in the morning. Can now sleep 8 instead of 14 hours a day, feel awake during the day, have energy and willingness to do things. Definitely helped with depression and anxiety. If only the blood test was performed earlier!"

ayahuasca (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "I started taking sigmapharm brand liothyronine. Almost immediately I got terrible tremors that last for hours. I was taking a very low dose 25mcg. After a week I also got a hypoglycemia attack, and I am not diabetic. Discontinuing and going to try perrigo brand liothyronine."

Chrispoe (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have had Hashimoto''s thyroiditis since 2003. I've been on Armour; I've been on Naturthroid and I've been on Synthroid. it's been a struggle to keep the weight off or get any weight off. I diet and exercise very stringently. You won't believe this: 25 mcg Synthroid and 5 mcg twice a day Lyothyroninr (Cytomel, or T-3) and the weight is practically falling off. I started on it May 13, 2016. That's 4 weeks. It started a few days ago and is I'm losing over a pound a day, sometimes 2. I wish I had known. See, my body makes antibodies to the desiccated porcine thyroid, as well as to my own. That's supposedly very rare. They were three times as high on Armour and Naturthroid as my own thyroid, and it's pretty high anyway."

Janine Maria June 10, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "When I was first diagnoised the doctor gave me levothyroxine, which uses lactose as a binder for the chemicals. I had a huge reaction to the pill. I felt like I wanted to get out of my skin, Bad stuff. So I started taking the dessicated thyroid, which was much better and I have been on it for many years. Recently, one doctor changed to liothyroine . I got huge headaches that would not go away no matter what I took. In two days of taking the pills, I stopped taking it on my own and switched back to the one that I had been on for so long. The dosage now has to be increased, but at least I will not get the headaches."

Elaine33081 (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "OMG - I have been on levrothyroxine for 10 years and felt terrible - no memory, mental fog everyday. My doctor finally suggested trying liothronine in conjunction with the levro. I haven't felt this good in years. No more mental fog and feeling like my old self"

Sue W December 11, 2015

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on Cytomel for a couple of years. Then my dose got increased along with my Synthroid medication dose. I began having tremors, heart palpitations and tachycardia. It was a terrifying experience! My symptoms almost entirely went away when going off this medication but, I feel as though my heart was dramatically affected and I don't know yet whether or not it was actually even damaged."

Terrifying cardiac tachycardia December 6, 2015

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "Side effects was a rash in legs, abdomen....discontinued medication & so did the symptoms."

Tuscany 285 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2015

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "as a supplement to levothyroxine it has been a night and day difference. I no longer sleep all the time and can think clearly. I actually want to do things now."

nashdo June 4, 2015

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Total thyroidectomy in 2004 due to Papillary Thyroid Cancer. T4 monotherapy alone was horrible. I have been on Liothyronine since February and have regained my life."

Deb124 April 22, 2015

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Synthroid by itself was not effective. It is of great interest to me that so many other people have had the experience of being told by a physician that everything is fine while everything was, decidedly, NOT FINE! (making long story short due to length restriction. Details need space.) Large dosage of Synthroid ineffective, nurse practitioner certain nothing wrong, physician A dosage is ok but maybe a small bump, small effect for short period then return to prebump effect, concerned that observation due to psychological rather than physiological waited, physician B does further workup, physician B sees most of Syntroid dosage going to reverse T3 (physiologically ineffective) adds Cytomel, the improvement was immediate; not psych."

A Complicated Patient (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2015

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "After being hypothyroid for many years and having good results on Synthroid and natural thyroid, it went on backorder for a few months and I had to switch to Cytomel. I felt immediate changes, more alert and a little more energy. However, after taking it for a few years, about 70% of my hair fell out (in clumps and I tried everything to stop the hair loss), and I've had chronic insomnia, huge appetite increase, higher blood pressure, anxiety attacks, hot flashes, etc. "

jillianmarie83 February 25, 2015

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Can't take it because my heart rate won't go below 90."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2015

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "My doctor prescribed a dosage of 5mcg along with my Synthroid. My blood work always comes back with my TSH too high and my T3 too low. This seems to work on my tiredness but since I have been taking it (3 weeks), my whole body seems to be aching. I don't know if it is in my joints or in my bones."

Anonymous October 5, 2014

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I suffered for 5 years with Anxiety and Depression. I tried many, many antidepressants. Nothing worked. My T3 levels were very low but my TSH was only slightly high. One doctor treated me with Synthroid but I had no changes. I saw many doctors including an endocrinologist that told me that nothing was wrong with my thyroid. After spending many hours online looking for answers, I found an endocrinologist that said he would try treating me with Cytomel. Within a day I felt AMAZING! It was like someone put new batteries in my body! I am finally able to be happy and live life again! Truly a Miracle!"

Mich February 23, 2014

268 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "After thyroid removal, the horrible experience of synthroid, and finally getting on natural desiccated thyroid, I had to switch to t3 temporarily due to my rt3 being too high. The conversion was fairly easy, but a bit taxing on my adrenals. I had to be more careful of stressful situations for a little while. Overall, I am very happy with the t3 and may just stay with it. Although, dosing four times a day is tedious."

Mocristy (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2013

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on Synthroid only for 8 years after being diagnosed with Hypothyroidism . My dose was changed many times over that time frame by 4 different Endocrinologists but I still felt bad, weight gain, fogginess, depression, chronic fatigue you name it. 6 weeks ago I was put on 10 mcg of Cytomel by a new doc that I am seeing a 100 miles from my home town and I am happy to say for the first time in 8 years I have relief from my symptoms. I have lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks. I am happy not in a fog anymore and I have energy to enjoy life once again. The Cytomel made all the difference. "

Ash RN October 3, 2013

271 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on this for a day and my aches and pains have subsided. I will not give it a 10 because I am not "perfect" yet. "

69me (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2013

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "This medication has been a life saver for me. I don't know if it works really well for depression or if I was hypothyroid but it has saved my life and I am so very thankful for it."

me2buc (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2012

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "Added 0.5 mcg to my Tirosint in August - nothing much changed until last week when I started taking this 1 hour after my Tirosint - down 5 lbs in one week! I have changed nothing else."

JET513 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2012