User Reviews for Liothyronine

Underactive Thyroid
7.5

Summary of Liothyronine reviews 7.6 43 reviews

Reviews for Liothyronine

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Glad this med has helped some, but for me it was a four-year nightmare. The anxiety was horrendous. As in disabling. Sweating, temper was on a hair trigger, hot flushing on my back, (TSH around 0). Even went into the hospital for two days to have my heart checked out, which was fine. I started noticing I would feel more normal each time the med dose was missed. Started coming down 1/4 pill at a time and each time it helped. Finally came down to 1/4 pill in addition to my 88 mcg Levo. I was exhausted by 11 am, and my TSH was 6, but at least I wasn't peeling myself off the ceiling and I was calm. Finally went off it entirely, and the anxiety, although not completely gone, was vastly improved. I upped my Levo to 100 mcg and felt dramatically better. It's in process now and I wish I had not wasted four years of my life on this med."

KS555 August 17, 2018

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I took Synthroid for several years and kept telling doctors that I didn't feel good. I kept gaining weight, my joints hurt and I had no energy. More than one doctor told me I didn't have a problem, that it was all in my head and that nothing was wrong with me. After my second child, I have figured out that it was the medicine and weaned myself off of it. With a TSH of 72 I lost 60 pounds, my joint pain went away and my energy came back. A wonderful OBGYN found out about me and my TSH score when I got pregnant with my third child. He was smart enough to talk me into trying T3 Cytomel. It has been a God send. I have taken it faithfully for 20 years and would not miss a single dose. I can't live without it."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 13, 2018

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "My doctor had me on levothyroxine (once a day) and liothyronine (1/2 tablet 2 x a day). I switched health care providers (nurse practitioner) and she reduced the levothyroxine, cut the liothyronine completely. I've gained weight and am extremely tired. I thought it was the heart med and blood thinner they put me on. After reading this about all of you, it may be because she drastically reduced the meds. I am seeing a new doctor now, and hopefully, she will add back the liothyronine after checking my blood. I have been drinking caffeine to be able to function, which I am not supposed to do because of my heart."

Goddess of dreams (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 10, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "I am taking this as an adjunct for severe depression, but my T3 levels were below normal as well. I was on 25mcg for two weeks and now at 50mcg for a couple of days. It's like I can finally see a glimmer of light at the end of a tunnel. I'm not out of the woods yet, but there is definitely something different that's going on. Thank goodness my psychiatrist was willing to let me try it."

Doodles (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "Has anyone taken this for depression? I've been on it for four days so far no results only feel tired. How long does it take to work?"

Shorty March 25, 2018

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I am so angry at every doctor that told me my TSH and T4 were normal and I was fine. After many years I switched doctors and the new doc was the first one that tested T3, mine was very low so I started taking cytomel and am feeling great! All those wasted years I could cry."

Tammy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "Was on Armour Thyroid for 15 yrs., however, was feeling super tired (always wanting to sleep), no energy,, had severe brain fog, my headaches were horrible, and my thyroid numbers were always ok. After asking my Doctor to please change my medication (as I was progressively getting worse), she prescribed a combination of liothyronine and levothyroxine and a miracle happened!! Headaches disappeared, could sleep through the night without waking up in severe pain (headache pain), only needed 8 hours of sleep, my dizziness and brain fog lifted, and my energy returned, all symptoms alleviated after about 3 weeks. Have had a few symptoms with this medication, but they have subsided. Feel wonderful after all these years have my life back!!!!!!"

Lynn March 17, 2018

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "My doctor prescribed 1/2 tablet daily combined with 25 mcg levothyroxine. Tablets are round and impossible to cut in half to receive consistent dosing. Needs to be scored by manufacturer."

cb (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Cytomel is making my brain work so much better again! I tried it several years ago and it made me me jittery, I felt like I had a huge amount of caffeine in me.... not this time! I'm in peri menopause and I understand the estrogen dominance can be a thyroid hormone antagonist, making it difficult to convert. Cytomel has helped me feel almost entirely back to normal and I have the energy to exercise again!"

LittleDove32 May 28, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid: "Cytomel was great for me until it wasn't. Due to a pharmacist error of my Cytomel I'm now disabled for life due to thyrotoxicosis. My reg dosage 15mcgs daily,and for 3 months. I was given 150 mcgs daily. I also was taking 75mcgs T4 daily. I assumed I was dying and started to get my affairs in order. On the 4th refill the pharmacist caught his mistake and called my Dr. Because to this day there's been no data of any person having an overdose of T3 Cytomel for at least 3 months my Dr's have done there best. The American Thyroid Org. has no data on it either. I and many others have looked worldwide. So I'm asking for help on this site from anyone with info I can't except that I have permanent brain damage and such a compromised immune system. Thx"

Fionaswan May 12, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid: "I was diagnosed with under active thyroid was given sertraline felt lethargic sleepy moody. Seen another doctor who added Liothyronine I'm no longer lethargic I cant thank my doctor enough I'm getting back to my old self."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid: "First, I diagnosed myself after being exhausted, unable to lose ANY weight even when I breast fed my son for a year. My periods were heavy and debilitating and no amount of exercise or diet allowed me to lose weight. Synthroid alone was clearly not enough, so after 14 years I switched endocrinologists. She called me a "doctor shopper", the first appointment, and said being cold all the time and 2 hour naps a day were NOT related to my thyroid. She reluctantly prescribed 5mcg of generic Cytomel BID. After only 4 days, the naps are a thing of the past! I cannot wait to see her face when she hears it worked! WHY are these doctors locked into ONLY care about "the numbers"?"

RootsGal (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have had hypothyroidism for over twenty years now. Took high levels of Synthroid for years and felt ok but not perfect. Started Cytomel 3 years ago, regulated dosage until it was just right. It takes a little time to regulate it to your exact dosage but be patient, it's worth it."

Bev7113 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 11, 2016

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I've been on Synthroid, Levoxyl, or Levothyroxine for the past 11 years at a suppressive dose and did fine. When my endocrinologist took me off of TSH suppression by lowering my dose of T4 I was miserable. Within in weeks I was exhausted, cold all the time, had brain fog, was depressed, and needed additional sleep. When I told my endocrinologist she continued to lower my dose (twice) because my TSH was suppressed. This caused me to be completely disfunctional at work and at home...I was so exhausted and everwhelmed I feared losing my job and my husband (no libido for over 6 months) and low productivity at work. I begged my endocrinologist to add T3. The dose was too low at first to make a difference but after reestablishing with a new"

Dana# (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 29, 2016

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Was treated with antidepressants and anti-psychotics for almost a year since the doctor's opinion was that my symptoms of weight gain, lack of energy, depression and dizziness were due to psychosis. Only after a year I was given a blood test and told that I have autoimmune disease. No longer take any antidepressants or anti-psychotics, only take 12.5 mcg in the morning. Can now sleep 8 instead of 14 hours a day, feel awake during the day, have energy and willingness to do things. Definitely helped with depression and anxiety. If only the blood test was performed earlier!"

ayahuasca (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I started taking sigmapharm brand liothyronine. Almost immediately I got terrible tremors that last for hours. I was taking a very low dose 25mcg. After a week I also got a hypoglycemia attack, and I am not diabetic. Discontinuing and going to try perrigo brand liothyronine."

Chrispoe (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have had Hashimoto''s thyroiditis since 2003. I've been on Armour; I've been on Naturthroid and I've been on Synthroid. it's been a struggle to keep the weight off or get any weight off. I diet and exercise very stringently. You won't believe this: 25 mcg Synthroid and 5 mcg twice a day Lyothyroninr (Cytomel, or T-3) and the weight is practically falling off. I started on it May 13, 2016. That's 4 weeks. It started a few days ago and is I'm losing over a pound a day, sometimes 2. I wish I had known. See, my body makes antibodies to the desiccated porcine thyroid, as well as to my own. That's supposedly very rare. They were three times as high on Armour and Naturthroid as my own thyroid, and it's pretty high anyway."

Janine Maria June 10, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "When I was first diagnoised the doctor gave me levothyroxine, which uses lactose as a binder for the chemicals. I had a huge reaction to the pill. I felt like I wanted to get out of my skin, Bad stuff. So I started taking the dessicated thyroid, which was much better and I have been on it for many years. Recently, one doctor changed to liothyroine . I got huge headaches that would not go away no matter what I took. In two days of taking the pills, I stopped taking it on my own and switched back to the one that I had been on for so long. The dosage now has to be increased, but at least I will not get the headaches."

Elaine33081 (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "OMG - I have been on levrothyroxine for 10 years and felt terrible - no memory, mental fog everyday. My doctor finally suggested trying liothronine in conjunction with the levro. I haven't felt this good in years. No more mental fog and feeling like my old self"

Sue W December 11, 2015

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on Cytomel for a couple of years. Then my dose got increased along with my Synthroid medication dose. I began having tremors, heart palpitations and tachycardia. It was a terrifying experience! My symptoms almost entirely went away when going off this medication but, I feel as though my heart was dramatically affected and I don't know yet whether or not it was actually even damaged."

Terrifying cardiac tachycardia December 6, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "Side effects was a rash in legs, abdomen....discontinued medication & so did the symptoms."

Tuscany 285 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "as a supplement to levothyroxine it has been a night and day difference. I no longer sleep all the time and can think clearly. I actually want to do things now."

nashdo June 4, 2015

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Total thyroidectomy in 2004 due to Papillary Thyroid Cancer. T4 monotherapy alone was horrible. I have been on Liothyronine since February and have regained my life."

Deb124 April 22, 2015

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Synthroid by itself was not effective. It is of great interest to me that so many other people have had the experience of being told by a physician that everything is fine while everything was, decidedly, NOT FINE! (making long story short due to length restriction. Details need space.) Large dosage of Synthroid ineffective, nurse practitioner certain nothing wrong, physician A dosage is ok but maybe a small bump, small effect for short period then return to prebump effect, concerned that observation due to psychological rather than physiological waited, physician B does further workup, physician B sees most of Syntroid dosage going to reverse T3 (physiologically ineffective) adds Cytomel, the improvement was immediate; not psych."

A Complicated Patient (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2015

Cytomel (liothyronine) for Underactive Thyroid: "After being hypothyroid for many years and having good results on Synthroid and natural thyroid, it went on backorder for a few months and I had to switch to Cytomel. I felt immediate changes, more alert and a little more energy. However, after taking it for a few years, about 70% of my hair fell out (in clumps and I tried everything to stop the hair loss), and I've had chronic insomnia, huge appetite increase, higher blood pressure, anxiety attacks, hot flashes, etc. "

jillianmarie83 February 25, 2015