User Reviews for Lidocaine

Also known as: Xylocaine-MPF, Xylocaine HCl, Dilocaine Anestacaine DentiPatch

Lidocaine has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings on Drugs.com. 46% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 46% reported a negative effect.

Anesthesia
Costochondritis  Off-label
10.0
Summary of Lidocaine reviews 5.2 12 reviews

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Lidocaine

GarenMS · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2021

For Anesthesia: “I had lidocaine given as a nerve block to see if radio frequency ablation will work. I have a lot of nerve and muscle pain down in my sacroiliac spine and mid back is tender to the touch and it affects my ribs. Anyway, they sedated me and did the injection. When I woke up, I was supposed to feel a lot better but apart from being slightly numb in one side (left, if it matters), everything else in my back was painfully stiff. It got worse as the lidocaine wore off and it has been days and it flared my whole body into some kind of immune response because my legs are weak and tingling and my arms are weak and there are muscles forcibly flexed and hot to the touch in my forearms. This is so weird that I just want to warn people out there to think before you get the seemingly innocuous injection.”

Ekniseley1986 · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2021

“I went today for a lidocaine infusion for fibromyalgia. I went in with the only fear of the IV. After reading a few reviews, I was not worried but mentally prepared. I did not have any reactions or side effects. I was able to get up after a little over a hour put my boots on and walk out. I was able to get my errands done after. My pain going in was a 7 and within 10 minutes down to 0. Even my lower back from my spinal fusion felt great until I started shopping. Now its been a few hours and other than a very rare 2 from my back I have no pain.”

Tad December 26, 2020

For Anesthesia: “Lidocaine was injected to remove a suspect mole on my arm. Within minutes I had uncontrollable tremors from mid chest radiating to my legs. I realized that over the years I had experienced this reaction during prior procedures when administered this drug. ( ie: dental) The severity of the reaction has been cumulative with the last 2 being the most severe and frightening. My GP believes it’s a neurological response rather than classic allergy. There are 2 groups of local anesthetic Amides and Ester. Lidocaine is an Amide . My dentist, ophthalmologist and dermatologist take my history seriously and do not use drugs from the Amides group. I seem to do find on Esters.”

Kris · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

For Costochondritis: “I had severe back pain for years along my bra line area Degenerative disc disease. I would wake up in the night in such bad pain it would be hard for me to take a breath. After seeing many doctors and taking many different pain pills I was referred to a pain specialist who gave me lidocaine injections into the sore spots of my back. I felt instant relief. And was relatively pain-free for six months and had to go again. This felt like a miracle, after trying so many different things, to be able to tolerate the pain I continue to have. I wish I would have been told about lidocaine injections a lot sooner!”

Longhorntiger · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2016

For Anesthesia: “I now wear a medal alert bracelet because no one believes I'm allergic to lidocaine and they give it to me anyway. My last experience with MOHS surgery, I immediately passed into a deep sleep and then out, I felt like I couldn't move. It didn't last long. First time didn't get it so they had to give me more. I passed out again but my chest hurt and it was hard to breathe. No one really checked on me. My husband was with me. Third time I passed out and my chest really hurt and I had trouble breathing. Chest pain lasted a couple of weeks. I'm 58 and I do not want to die from this stuff. Doctors do not believe me. They say I just get drunk. I was more than drunk.”

None · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2020

For Anesthesia: “Lidocaine is mixed with epinephrine, and it's the epinephrine which is causing many people's reactions. Epinephrine speeds up heart rate. Lidocaine is available without epinephrine. The effect of epinephrine on the patient allows medical personnel to avoid using too much lidocaine, since epinephrine side effects are detectable.”

Bobbycat October 15, 2008

“I have had two injections in both my shoulders. The right one I damaged just putting my coat on. I was in serious pain for 10 months. After having the injection 1 year ago I have been pain free. It was very painful when I had it and for about a week after but then it's been fine. My left has been a frozen shoulder for well over 10 years and I have just had an injection for it. It did not hurt as much. No side effects.”

Suzannah Johnson July 10, 2013

For Costochondritis: “After being diagnosed with costochondritis, I was given a narcotic painkiller, NSAIDs, voltaren gel, and lidocaine patches to help with the pain (which was hideous). None of these medications provided relief, so I was referred to my rheumatologist to receive steroid injections. However, my rheumatologist suggested trying injections of xylocaine into the cartilage of the affected ribs. By the time I got home, ALL of the pain was gone. It has been 3 days now, and I am still pain free. These injections were a miracle solution for me, and I would absolutely recommend trying this before doing steroid injections to anyone who has costochondritis. I did not feel the injections or the medication going in, and have had no side effects whatsoever.”

CM · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2019

For Anesthesia: “I had terrible adverse reactions from Lidocaine after several dentist visits. Every time I received a Lidocaine injection it felt like I was having a heart attack (it was actually SEVERE heart palpitations), made me feel cold, and at one point triggered a minor seizure. I also have epilepsy so it is very possible that Lidocaine is not recommended for anyone with serious conditions (but my dentists kept using it anyway). Be careful if you are considering using Lidocaine as a local anesthetic.”

Acon March 1, 2018

For Anesthesia: “I have used 5% lidocaine patches for sciatica and bursitis in my thighs. I can usually sit only for 10 to 15 minutes before the pain becomes unbearable. A patch takes about 5 minutes to completely relieve the pain for the day. That problem has cleared but now I have a broken leg requiring a lot of sitting and lying down. The pain is back when I sit but now my insurance, United Health Care, has denied approval to use it so I could only sit when I had to for the last 4 weeks, otherwise stand or lie down. Wheel chairs can't be used for longer than 10 to 15 minutes at a time. The 5% patches are great if you can get them.”

reclus1 January 21, 2014

For Anesthesia: “Use of lidocaine injection to numb insertion sight for IV resulted in burning sensation in the vein that traveled to the heart in 10-15 seconds. This was followed by pale skin, cold sweat, BPdrop and unconciousness for approx.15 minutes. I feel usage in my case was unnecessary, dangerous, andinaffective as it had worn of by the time IV was inserted.”

Dede February 24, 2020

“I have Chronic back pain , fibromyalgia arthritis and was reluctant but went through with the first treatment with systemic lidocaine It did nothing , it didn't even make drowsy. It was a waste of time and 3 mth wait”

msjan January 23, 2016

For Anesthesia: “I had an injection as a test to see if another RFA would be warranted. It's been 1 1/2 months and the burning is ALMOST gone. Muscle pain....other pain exists but the burning has lessened so much! I'm considering an infusion...or wait and see if I can get another injection into the nerves affected...??? Any words appreciated. Thanks. Also they keep doing clinical trials I see online but with no results (for infusion). Why is that? Why can't we know what the risks and benefits of the trials are? Who is doing these and what results do they have?”

YAHOO · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2018

L-Caine (lidocaine) for Anesthesia: “Not a great deal of relief in both lumber spine,hips and legs also the problems have at levels C6,C7 much the same. Side effects great loss of bowel control, not nice.”

andrewbrad April 3, 2017

For Anesthesia: “I used this after having a tooth pulled - it caused nausea ”