User Reviews for Avapro to treat High Blood Pressure

Avapro Rating Summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Avapro

Lilah · Taken for 10 years or more March 10, 2020

“Avapro is the ONLY blood pressure med that works very well for me. I've taken it for 17 years with great results and no side effects. Before that, I tried beta blockers,etc. ALL had terrible side effects. If you're having trouble finding the right med, just give Avapro a try. HOPEFULLY you will have the same results as I had!”

Charlie · Taken for 10 years or more January 7, 2020

“I have had no problems with Avapro. I can't say I have any noticeable side effects at all. Everyone is different tho so its a case of try it and see what happens. I take 300mg a day and have been on it now for 20 years.”

renu · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 18, 2019

“I have been on Avapro for 5 years. At first it didn't control blood pressure. then doctor increased dosage to 300mg. I have noticed over years depleted potassium reading. My side effects are I urinate often, I now having pain in hands, constant tiredness and overall lack of energy and lack of interest in things. I am also feeling depression, irritable. I am going back to my doctor to take me off this drug. I feel like the side effects increase, more drugs in your body for longer periods of time of taking it.”

Ms B · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2019

“I started taking this drug, Avapro, because the losartan I had been taking was being recalled by the FDA, I took 300mg once a day. I had been taking it for about 12 days before I began to show an allergic reaction to it. At first, there was a small blister on my ankle but by the third day this blister was spreading over my ankle and was hot and itchy. I immediately went to my PCP thinking it might be shingles. Since my PCP was not sure it wasn't shingles that's what I was treated for. However after a week of taking the prescribed drugs I had gotten much worse. The RASH was now moving up my legs and over my buttocks and it was so painful it was intolerable at times. To make a very long story short I ended up in the ER twice and finally was able to find relief after one of the TOP Dermatologists in the area was able to identify through a biopsy that Avapro was the culprit since it was the only thing that had changed in my routine before the RASH started.”

cathy · Taken for 10 years or more January 4, 2019

“I have been on Avapro for nearly 20 years with no side effects. I started 150mg then increased as I got older to 300mg I have now been diagnosed with paroxmal AF. I am still on the Avapro 300mg and sotolol 80mg for AF. I have recently had Amulet occlusion device put in my heart to prevent stroke as I am not suitable for anti-coagulant medication. Hope the Avapro will continue to work for me !!”

Maz · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2018

“I was prescribed Avapro by neurologist this month for consistent mild high blood pressure & numbness in hands & left foot. Also MRI which I had today to exclude cervical stenosis. I am already Mthfr genetic mutation that depletes vitamin b12, folate, vitamin b6. I have had increasing numbness in left hand on waking & general weakness & strength. Since Taking Avapro symptoms have got worse.I am tired with depleted energy, nauseated, aching hips ,disturbed sleep even with sleep apnoea machine. Just Saw My Dr who suggested taking Avapro in the evening as that’s when my Bp is the highest.”

emmatoad · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2017

“I just started on 150 mg. Avapro last week - Sept. 14, 2017. I can no longer drink coffee all day & night. I get a false angina pain, pinching. I was on Clonidine which liked but my hair started falling out in large handfuls. Eek! Also, about 30 minutes into Clonidine I had to take a nap. So far, this one is better but my coffee intake is going down to 2 cups and only in the mornings now. I'm a little dizzy for a couple of hours after I take Avapro but Clonidine was much worse, actually. I will see how it goes...”

Jellybean48 · Taken for 10 years or more March 4, 2016

“I am 63 years old, and inherited high blood pressure from my mother. I have been taking Avapro for about 15 years. Initially it was 150mg but recently as 2 years I have been on 300 mg. Initially after the increased dose I had such back muscle/bone pain, it felt as if an elephant had sat on me. My doctor changed my medication to a beta block but that did nothing to bring my blood pressure down. What annoys me after reading everyone's feedback, is I have been struggling with exhaustion for years, muscle pain, lightheadedness when standing, fainting even landed up fainting at work, with the ambulance being called. Not the doctor, nor the hospital mentioned side effects of this medication.”

Turbo t June 21, 2014

“Feeling tired, dizzy, disoriented, off balance, leg pain, feel in a fog, headaches.”

jane99999 May 19, 2014

“Extremely tired and sleepy all the time. Low energy. Even after sleep still tired.”

Marbee · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 24, 2014

“Recently had to up my dose, and had to take at bedtime because of dizziness. I noticed I was not feeling well, and thought I was fighting off some bug, but it continued. I noticed that the nausea and headache occurred after taking my nighttime dose of Avapro. When I quit taking it, I felt fine.”

bogdancimpoae · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2014

“It's good.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more July 12, 2012

“I am a 33year old who has experienced high blood pressure ever since starting work after graduating from University. I also have a Thyroid condition and always just assumed this was the entire cause of my tingling in the hands & feet and constant issues with tiredness. The tingling sensation predates the Avapro, but the ongoing issue with tiredness could also be attributed to the Avapro. I have been on Avapro for the last ten years. I am off of Avapro now as my blood pressure is now normal.”

Scatrock June 13, 2012

“I have taken Avapro 300mg for over seven years for BP 140/98. Since I began my annual physical exams consistently show BP 170/110. Like many other reviews I initially found that Avapro 300mg, taken first thing in the morning, made me feel very tired and sleepy. As a policeman, I considered it dangerous to be on the job in this condition. The solution was to take it at night, just before bedtime, when I want to be sleepy. By morning I wake up feeling great. By the end of my stressful day I think my BP may be a little higher (understandably) but by then I am home to relax. I have, at times, within an hour of taking the dose, had "blind staggers" after I stand up quickly or dozed off without realizing I had, but no other side effects.”

Anonymous May 30, 2012

“Took 150mg a day for several years. I lived with the dizziness when getting up or kneeling down. Also adversely affected my urination habits. Hard to go, weak stream etc. The doctor switched me to Benicar 20mg. Works better on lowering blood pressure, NO dizziness at all, and peeing is back to normal. Benicar is a MUCH MUCH better blood pressure medicine for me.”

Cumulative October 14, 2011

“I was switched to Avapro from Micardis, two or three years ago, because of cumulative side effects from the latter, including recurring bronchitis and mineral imbalance. Apparently cumulative side effects have occurred again. I have now developed something like a chronic sinus infection, one doctor said my tonsils have grown back and are infected, and have suffered with recurring infections in the tear duct of my eye. I have noticed other changes too, though I'm not sure how many of these may be related to the medication, thus the "5" rating: I have gradually become an unmotivated and disinterested person, a great change for me. I hope the next hypertensive medication will have less side effects.”

Anonymous August 15, 2011

“Controlled blood pressure just fine. But the dizziness upon getting up was pretty bad. Had to urinate many times a day and during the night as well. ”

Anonymous May 22, 2011

“I have been taking 75mg/day of Avapro for 2 months. It has been effective at lowering my blood pressure to 130/80 in the morning and 120/70 in the evening. The only side effect I have noticed is some mild, occasional heart burn. I had been on Atacand for several years before; I had to stop it because of dizziness. Then I was given Lisinopril; it made me cough and destroyed all sexual interest. I much prefer Avapro, it is more effective than the others and has milder side effects - for me.”

Rankin March 18, 2011

“At 61, was initially on 150mg Avapro for about 5 years and blood pressure was up and down - decided to do more exercise and also started breaking the Avapro in half and found my blood pressure was excellent in the range of 128/83. Also the headaches and neck cracking diminished considerably. I think that sometimes less is more so to speak. You reduce the stress of the side effects and blood pressure lowers with a less dose.”

youhouse July 14, 2010

“I have been on Avapro for 5 months now at 300mg a day. I have had no side effects. But my blood pressure has now started to rise. The last two times it was at 177 over 128 and then 170 over 120. I now get very light headed when I stand up due to the high blood pressure. I don't think it is good for me. Overall it worked for a while, but is no loner working for me.”

steve in PA June 14, 2010

“I have been on Avapro 150mgs for about 8 years and I love it. My blood pressure is always good and usually 110/72 so it works. I was on calcium channel blockers before and they did not control my hypertension. From day 1 Avapro worked with no side effects. I have recommended to others who had problems and when their Doctor switched them to Avapro, and their blood pressure is now controlled. I love this. ”

Markymark82 June 10, 2010

“I have been on Avapro about a week and do not really have any noticeable side effects. Beta blockers are much worse for making you tired. Avapro seems to have helped my blood pressure a little but not as much as my beta blockers. The only thing I noticed is a dry cough by I am not sure if that is the Avapro or allergies. I take 100 mg of CO-Q10 once a day and that has helped with the side effects of the beta blockers and it may be helping me not see side effects of Avapro, for anyone who feels fatigue and takes blood pressure medication, try CO-Q10, its got low risk for side effects and tends to helps to bring back energy level that are partially caused by depleted CO-Q10 when you take blood pressure medication.”

SmithCC May 25, 2010

“This medicine gave me heartburn and stomach upset. I couldn't eat anything that didn't cause my stomach to be painful - let alone anything mildly spicy. My doctor had to change my medicine.”

2blazy May 6, 2010

“I have been taking Avapro for more years than I care to remember. It did not do the trick in lowering my blood pressure alone so a diuretic was added to the mix. I get so tired I can hardly stand to stay awake. I am so lazy, I don't feel like doing anything and I don't even care. I started researching and found this site, perhaps this tiredness is from Avapro. I will talk to my doctor.”

Toni M March 9, 2010

“I've been taking 150mg samples for almost 2 weeks. The medication (Avapro) increased my tiredness levels which are quite high with the Fibromyalgia and Sjogren's day-to-day. Normal anxiety is heightened also and is almost unbearable in its severity. I am experiencing no lessening in my BP readings. I plan to discuss this medication with my PCP during my scheduled follow-up visit. It's quite expensive, too.”