User Reviews for Humalog KwikPen

Humalog KwikPen has an average rating of 3.5 out of 10 from a total of 24 ratings on Drugs.com. 15% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 60% reported a negative effect.

Diabetes, Type 2
3.6
Diabetes, Type 1
3.4
Summary of Humalog KwikPen reviews 3.5 24 reviews

Reviews for Humalog KwikPen

Merilee · Taken for 10 years or more January 21, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I have taken insulin for 68 years. The last 2 years I have had horrible experiences with Humalog KwikPens. Have reached out to Eli Lilly and FDA. FDA seems to be a useless contact but Eli Lilly was somewhat helpful. I have had to actually throw away over 25 Eli Lilly Humalog KwikPens in the past two years due to malfunctioning of the pens.”

simon · Taken for 10 years or more September 19, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I note there are comments on the sticking of Humalog Kwik pens which is also my experience with them. I have been using Humalog (Lispro) pens for a long time. Recently in the past 3 months I have had 4 pens sticking while injecting. The rest of the insulin in the pen goes waste. I would like to send the pens back to Lilly but I do not know how. Like others I had to switch over from a smoother Novolin pen to the Humalog pens due to insurance cost agreements with lilly. Having worked in management positions at manufacturing industries, I can see how these deals of price reduction compromise quality and cost to the customer while filling the pockets of executives in the drug company and Insurance companies. FDA is useless.”

SBMc · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 19, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I used to take Novolog, was forced to change by my insurance provider. This does not work as well as Novolog. The delivery system is shoddy I have had more pens jam and become unusable in the 1 year of using the kwikpen than in the 10+ years I used a Novolog FlexPex.”

Sweet girl August 15, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I never had problems with novalog pens but this humalog pen is horrible! I watch my diet carefully so I don't have to use as often but when my blood sugar shoots up I need it. Twice the same pen stopped working so I had to take of back to the pharmacy. Every humalog pen I have used since you have to keep pumping and twisting so that you end up with bruises! It never delivers what you put it on so you actually don't know how much you are injecting! This product is horrible and those making it should either make it right or be accountable!!!”

SB · Taken for 10 years or more August 30, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I have had Type 1 Diabetes for 45 years, and I can say that this is the worst method of Insulin delivery I have ever used. The pen is difficult to dose with. It often jams, causing you to exceed pressure and bend a needle in your arm. I think the makers should take a lesson from the Lantus pen makers. The Lantus pen has never failed me, and the automatic spring delivery system, makes it foolproof. Humulog in a vial has always worked for me.”

Lynn May 29, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 1: “These pens are horrible! I went to use it when my type 1 daughter's pump failed, and it did not administer correctly. The pens she used in the past were great. They made a clicking sound for each unit delivered, where these quick pens were silent and barely had pressure enough to indicate whether she got proper dosage, if any at all. They also don't have half units, and rounding up or down to full units can be very dangerous. These pens also create excessive waste. The previous pens themselves were reusable! Would love to go back to them!”

JJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 22, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “The Humalog drug works very well. The Humalog Kwik Pen SUCKS. The pens stick and are very inconsistent with the ease of injection. I used Novalog until I went on Medicare and my drug plan switched me to Humalog. Never had a single problem with the Novalog pens.”

LOST.CUSTOMER April 6, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been using these Humalog Kwikpens for almost 2 years. I have had issues with half of them. They won't inject correctly!! I've tried different things like doing less for each press and sometimes that helps. I've jiggled & moved it and nope.. what annoys me even more is looking at a brand new pen I have to throw away because IT JUST DOESN'T WORK!! I've talked to the pharmacist and they say to contact Novalog, I sent info to novalog and no response.. I will have to ask my doctor to put me on something else. This feeling that you paid for a cheap toy that breaks as soon as you get it home. I do not recommend this AT ALL!!”

Deb February 27, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “These pens are terrible. The company should be closed down. They malfunction and some times have to inject my self 3 times to get my dosage. My insurance made me get these but I we I'll pay to use lantis solostar. Dont get this product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!”

BigDeal January 24, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “My insurance company, Aetna, switched from the Novalog Flex Pen to the Humalog KwikPen and I've had nothing but problems ever since. The Novalog Pen worked very well and I never had any issues with it. Since switching to the Humalog Pen, I've had constant problems getting it to work properly. The part that gets pushed down often gets stuck and it becomes impossible to administer the insulin that I need to manage my Type 2 Diabetes. I don't understand why the insurance companies have to change from a perfectly good product to one that is substandard. I'm contacting Aetna to see if there is any way to switch back to the Novalog FlexPen.”

smoo November 6, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 1: “What is it with Humalog over the last (2019 + 2020) 2 years??? I have had MANY issues with my BG going THRU THE ROOF!! I have had type 1 since 1994. My avg HbA1c is 7.0. Humalog is THE PROBLEM. I use insulin based on carb counting. Has worked for all my years on insulin. It works well. But, over the last two years I have had MANY times when I have, for example, 200 BG and I eat 50 units of carbs. Those numbers tell me I need 2 units of insulin for my BG and 5 units for my carbs = 7. I usually may add 1 extra unit. After I do all of that in my example, my BG will be 300???!!!!! I did exactly what my Dr. has told me to do and what has worked for MANY years. But, it no longer works with Humalog. Humalog has been made weaker since Lily is providing it at a reduced cost to users. Thanks Lily, for being a company that looks for profit more than helping those who need good insulin. Time to move to Novolog. Humalog? Useless.”

Defrauded end user · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 24, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Humalog KwikPern 200 unit insulin products have been defective for years and continue being defective. Since too much or too little fast-acting Insulin can cause death, this is a very serious matter. The mechanism in those devices ams and skips gears and this is visible as the plunger does not move or moved way too much resulting in too little or too much insulting being injected. Lilly's phone line connects hapless patients to a labyrinth of submenus of byzantine complexity that it is useless, possibly by design.”

RetiredCDE&T1Diabetic · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 27, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I've been a T1 diabetic for 52 years, & am a retired Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE). I and my patients have all had a problem w/Humalog KwikPens: Sometimes a box has not one pen that works. I have followed their (Lilly, the manufacturer) directions (try a new needle, etc), but sometimes you get a batch that doesn't work. You can't get a refund either, so we're "out" hundreds of dollars in co-pays. I've tried several times to contact Lilly and they keep referring me back to the website for answers, which is useless. They also imply that the customers aren't able to use the pens correctly. Amazing that I've been successfully teaching patients for decades on using pumps, pens, etc and never had ANY problems except with these KwikPens. They're unpredictable!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 23, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “While this medication works well, the KwikPen is terrible! It gets stuck before the insulin can be used. Having to throw away insulin is just ridiculous, especially at the prices charged! I'm going to ask my doctor for an alternative.”

asiaexec October 28, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “My insurance company changed to Humalog KwikPen; my short response - IT SUCKS! The medicine works well, when I actually get it administered, but their crappy pen just does not work properly. I take 5 to 8 units a few times per day but the pen does not seem to develop enough pressure to push the med into my body.”

Tony Glasscock September 18, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Called Eli Lilly about their humalog 50/50 pen being stuck on 42 and not moving (still has over 180 units left), I was called a cow (slander) by their agent. Won't use their products anymore, still have the pen lost money on it. Shame on you Eli Lilly”

Di January 3, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Have problems with my HUMALOG pens over the last couple of years. I switch to a new pen and my BG skyrockets. Have to throw away about one third of my pens. Is there a government agency checking the quality of medication sold to U.S. consumers anymore?”

Barbara · Taken for 10 years or more December 10, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I have been diabetic type 1 for 35 years. My diabetic nurse persuaded me to use the Humalog KwikPen, 3 months ago. I used to use Humalog and a syringe. Since switching I’m injecting 5 times the number of units I used to and my sugars are still high. Not only do I believe the quality/strength of the insulin is not the same, it’s infuriating the pens keep sticking, so one can’t deliver the quantity selected in one jab. I am stopping using the KwikPens right now. I’ve had enough. My sugar controls of the past have been good. I do not want to jeopardise good control by using this substandard equipment.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 17, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “The Humalog KwikPen insulin works well but I have had the issue of my pens jamming, sticking, and just not working. I called the number on the paper that was in the box with the pens. I spoke to the nicest young man and he helped me fix my pen then gave me some advice on how to avoid these issues in the future. He even got me a replacement because I ended up throwing a broke pen away before I could finish using it (~100 units left).”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more August 11, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I called Humalog to ask if they could possibly borrow the technology used by Levemir for pens, as the Levemir pens are far superior. The Humalog pens constantly leak, even after leaving in the skin for up to 10 seconds after injection, insulin constantly runs out of the needle after you pull the needle out after injection and it of course stinks. There are constantly bubbles in the pen that are often times not removable. I did call Humalog, and they walked through their protocol steps to problem solving, but none of it worked. I'm very curious as to why I never have any of these problems with my Levemir pens. Can the technology be so different, and why can't Humalog work towards that type of superior product?”

Anonymous March 17, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “this is horrible Every single pen sticks in the middle of giving a dose.”

knack July 6, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “The pen normally gets stuck in the middle of the each pens use. I normally throw away 1/4 to 1/2 of the medicine”

Anonymous March 17, 2011

For Diabetes, Type 1: “This handy little device is great for vacation or just the diabetic on the go.”

MacDreamz65 July 6, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “My 3rd pen in 2 months. The pens are awful and after a short use will only dispense half the med then jam.”