User Reviews for Humalog KwikPen to treat Diabetes, Type 1

Humalog KwikPen has an average rating of 3.4 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 1. 13% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 63% reported a negative effect.

Humalog KwikPen Rating Summary

3.4/10 average rating

Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 1.

Reviews for Humalog KwikPen

Merilee · Taken for 10 years or more January 21, 2020

“I have taken insulin for 68 years. The last 2 years I have had horrible experiences with Humalog KwikPens. Have reached out to Eli Lilly and FDA. FDA seems to be a useless contact but Eli Lilly was somewhat helpful. I have had to actually throw away over 25 Eli Lilly Humalog KwikPens in the past two years due to malfunctioning of the pens.”

simon · Taken for 10 years or more September 19, 2018

“I note there are comments on the sticking of Humalog Kwik pens which is also my experience with them. I have been using Humalog (Lispro) pens for a long time. Recently in the past 3 months I have had 4 pens sticking while injecting. The rest of the insulin in the pen goes waste. I would like to send the pens back to Lilly but I do not know how. Like others I had to switch over from a smoother Novolin pen to the Humalog pens due to insurance cost agreements with lilly. Having worked in management positions at manufacturing industries, I can see how these deals of price reduction compromise quality and cost to the customer while filling the pockets of executives in the drug company and Insurance companies. FDA is useless.”

SBMc · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 19, 2018

“I used to take Novolog, was forced to change by my insurance provider. This does not work as well as Novolog. The delivery system is shoddy I have had more pens jam and become unusable in the 1 year of using the kwikpen than in the 10+ years I used a Novolog FlexPex.”

SB · Taken for 10 years or more August 30, 2019

“I have had Type 1 Diabetes for 45 years, and I can say that this is the worst method of Insulin delivery I have ever used. The pen is difficult to dose with. It often jams, causing you to exceed pressure and bend a needle in your arm. I think the makers should take a lesson from the Lantus pen makers. The Lantus pen has never failed me, and the automatic spring delivery system, makes it foolproof. Humulog in a vial has always worked for me.”

Lynn May 29, 2018

“These pens are horrible! I went to use it when my type 1 daughter's pump failed, and it did not administer correctly. The pens she used in the past were great. They made a clicking sound for each unit delivered, where these quick pens were silent and barely had pressure enough to indicate whether she got proper dosage, if any at all. They also don't have half units, and rounding up or down to full units can be very dangerous. These pens also create excessive waste. The previous pens themselves were reusable! Would love to go back to them!”

smoo November 6, 2020

“What is it with Humalog over the last (2019 + 2020) 2 years??? I have had MANY issues with my BG going THRU THE ROOF!! I have had type 1 since 1994. My avg HbA1c is 7.0. Humalog is THE PROBLEM. I use insulin based on carb counting. Has worked for all my years on insulin. It works well. But, over the last two years I have had MANY times when I have, for example, 200 BG and I eat 50 units of carbs. Those numbers tell me I need 2 units of insulin for my BG and 5 units for my carbs = 7. I usually may add 1 extra unit. After I do all of that in my example, my BG will be 300???!!!!! I did exactly what my Dr. has told me to do and what has worked for MANY years. But, it no longer works with Humalog. Humalog has been made weaker since Lily is providing it at a reduced cost to users. Thanks Lily, for being a company that looks for profit more than helping those who need good insulin. Time to move to Novolog. Humalog? Useless.”

RetiredCDE&T1Diabetic · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 27, 2017

“I've been a T1 diabetic for 52 years, & am a retired Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE). I and my patients have all had a problem w/Humalog KwikPens: Sometimes a box has not one pen that works. I have followed their (Lilly, the manufacturer) directions (try a new needle, etc), but sometimes you get a batch that doesn't work. You can't get a refund either, so we're "out" hundreds of dollars in co-pays. I've tried several times to contact Lilly and they keep referring me back to the website for answers, which is useless. They also imply that the customers aren't able to use the pens correctly. Amazing that I've been successfully teaching patients for decades on using pumps, pens, etc and never had ANY problems except with these KwikPens. They're unpredictable!”

Di January 3, 2021

“Have problems with my HUMALOG pens over the last couple of years. I switch to a new pen and my BG skyrockets. Have to throw away about one third of my pens. Is there a government agency checking the quality of medication sold to U.S. consumers anymore?”

Barbara · Taken for 10 years or more December 10, 2020

“I have been diabetic type 1 for 35 years. My diabetic nurse persuaded me to use the Humalog KwikPen, 3 months ago. I used to use Humalog and a syringe. Since switching I’m injecting 5 times the number of units I used to and my sugars are still high. Not only do I believe the quality/strength of the insulin is not the same, it’s infuriating the pens keep sticking, so one can’t deliver the quantity selected in one jab. I am stopping using the KwikPens right now. I’ve had enough. My sugar controls of the past have been good. I do not want to jeopardise good control by using this substandard equipment.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more August 11, 2021

“I called Humalog to ask if they could possibly borrow the technology used by Levemir for pens, as the Levemir pens are far superior. The Humalog pens constantly leak, even after leaving in the skin for up to 10 seconds after injection, insulin constantly runs out of the needle after you pull the needle out after injection and it of course stinks. There are constantly bubbles in the pen that are often times not removable. I did call Humalog, and they walked through their protocol steps to problem solving, but none of it worked. I'm very curious as to why I never have any of these problems with my Levemir pens. Can the technology be so different, and why can't Humalog work towards that type of superior product?”

Anonymous March 17, 2011

“This handy little device is great for vacation or just the diabetic on the go.”