User Reviews for Insulin lispro to treat Diabetes, Type 1

Also known as: Humalog, Admelog, Humalog KwikPen, Lyumjev, Humalog Junior KwikPen

Insulin lispro has an average rating of 3.3 out of 10 from a total of 28 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 1. 14% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 64% reported a negative effect.

Insulin lispro Rating Summary

3.3/10 average rating

Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 1.

Reviews for Insulin lispro

Truth2021 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 28, 2021

Humalog (insulin lispro): “I have used Humalog for 5 years. My insurance company told me I could no longer use any other insulin. Why they told me that, only they know. It appears to be a result of Lily's sales team. Humalog worked good for a few years. Last year it suddenly stopped working well. I suddenly needed TWICE as much insulin for each dose. I count carbs and use 1 unit of Humalog for every 10 carbs eaten. Suddenly, my BG was thru the ceiling. On a guess, I increased my Humalog by 60%, my BG went down considerably. I increased it more until my BG was back to normal. You can blame whatever reason you want, but I think Humalog has been altered by Lily. It just isn't as effective for me, it goes bad twice as fast, it can NOT be allowed to get to room temp. (warmer than 75 F) or it stops working at all. I stopped using Humalong. I use Novolog. Novolog works better, quicker and is more dependable than Lily's altered Humalog. If Humalog works for you, great. It is terrible for me.”

Renee · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 31, 2019

Admelog (insulin lispro): “I have been diabetic since I was 12. Getting an insulin pump was the best thing I ever did. Then, my insurance decided to no longer cover Humalog, which has been working great for me for years. They put me on Admelog. I was on it a month before I called the doctor and told them it did not work. They blew me off. Now, several months later, I have called again. I have left messages at my doctor's office, I have talked to my insurance company, I have called the pharmacy, and I have called the FDA. Admelog DOES NOT work, and not just for me. I have taken at least 200 units of insulin today, and my blood sugar is still 297. If you take Admelog and it is not working for you, please go to the FDA MedWatch page and report it.”

Type 1 February 26, 2020

Admelog (insulin lispro): “My sugars have been terrible since switching from Humalog to Admelog as a Type 1 diabetic. It may be equivalent to others but is not for me. My A1c is through the roof and no one will listen because of $$$ I may go to Canada to get Humalog just so I can live longer. Is anyone listening????”

K · Taken for less than 1 month November 24, 2019

Admelog (insulin lispro): “Insurance switched me over to this without even letting me know. My sugars on Humalog were very stable, but the second I switched over to Admelog I couldn't get them under control. I was never in my target range, no matter how much insulin I gave myself. The last straw was when I was at work and became extremely nauseous and started throwing up because I couldn't get my sugars under control. This insulin is not the same thing as Humalog as I was told, it's just a way for insurance to cheap out at the expense of its users.”

Damo91 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2019

Admelog (insulin lispro): “I have been type 1 diabetic for 22 years now and my insurance recently had me switch to Admelog a month ago. This insulin IS NOT THE SAME as Humalog, as the doctor's still try to convince you. It is very slow acting compared to Humalog and it takes 2-3 hours for blood sugar levels to lower, even a little bit. For example, every day on this insulin I have blood glucose levels to (BGL) of 260+ and after taking Admelog and fasting, 1 hour later my BGL only drops by 10 points. Wait another hour, still haven't ate anything, 10 more points. I have also had my BGL rise while on it. While on Humalog, my BGL drops and regulates within half hour. Admelog will kick in in over 3 hours and give me a very low BGL. This insulin has made me very sick and nauseous!!! I have done so well managing my BGL to be under 180 every day in the past and now on this insulin it to goes up to 400 constantly!”

Sarah · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 12, 2020

Admelog (insulin lispro): “I have had type 1 diabetes for 10 years and was originally using Novolog then Humalog but was recently switched to Admelog. This insulin is by far the worst I have ever used. It is extremely unpredictable. Right now I cannot get my blood sugar under 400 mg/dL no matter how much of this insulin I take. There are days when I am nonstop low. My endocrinologist knows that this insulin is garbage but my insurance will not switch me no matter what. I've complained to the FDA but it probably fell on deaf ears. I'm not even sure how this was even approved by the FDA considering that there are numerous complaints about it.”

Merilee · Taken for 10 years or more January 21, 2020

Humalog KwikPen (insulin lispro): “I have taken insulin for 68 years. The last 2 years I have had horrible experiences with Humalog KwikPens. Have reached out to Eli Lilly and FDA. FDA seems to be a useless contact but Eli Lilly was somewhat helpful. I have had to actually throw away over 25 Eli Lilly Humalog KwikPens in the past two years due to malfunctioning of the pens.”

simon · Taken for 10 years or more September 19, 2018

Humalog KwikPen (insulin lispro): “I note there are comments on the sticking of Humalog Kwik pens which is also my experience with them. I have been using Humalog (Lispro) pens for a long time. Recently in the past 3 months I have had 4 pens sticking while injecting. The rest of the insulin in the pen goes waste. I would like to send the pens back to Lilly but I do not know how. Like others I had to switch over from a smoother Novolin pen to the Humalog pens due to insurance cost agreements with lilly. Having worked in management positions at manufacturing industries, I can see how these deals of price reduction compromise quality and cost to the customer while filling the pockets of executives in the drug company and Insurance companies. FDA is useless.”

Duracell · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2020

Admelog (insulin lispro): “My daughter was on Humalog and doing well with her levels. I went to the pharmacy to pick refill and without notice our insurance switched her to Admelog. She has been on it for 3 weeks. Her levels will not come under 300, ketones, nausea, headaches. Also NO ONE keeps the vials in stock for the pumps. Not CVS, Wal-greens, Wal-Mart etc. It has to be ordered DAYS ahead and thats IF they get it in. One of the above pharmacies was suppose to have it in in 2 days went to pick up and they said SORRY we are not sure when it will get her. We had NO insulin over the weekend. Now my daughter is sick. We never had issues with Humalog. THIS insulin is HORRIBLE. FIGHT IT!”

SBMc · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 19, 2018

Humalog KwikPen (insulin lispro): “I used to take Novolog, was forced to change by my insurance provider. This does not work as well as Novolog. The delivery system is shoddy I have had more pens jam and become unusable in the 1 year of using the kwikpen than in the 10+ years I used a Novolog FlexPex.”

notachance · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2019

Admelog (insulin lispro): “Worst insulin I have ever taken. My dose of insulin has more than tripled since I started taking it. It has always made my blood sugars rise. I can eat nothing and take insulin to correct the high - it doesn't fall it raises more. I carb count correctly, use the correct dose and again my blood sugar rises. This "follow on" insulin is not like the more expensive insulins.”

Sara · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 24, 2020

Admelog (insulin lispro): “I was switched to Admelog from Novolog last year and my A1C has gone from 6 to 9% and has stabilized to over 8% since. My endo knows it is due to Admelog not being a good insulin but his hands are tied. Unfortunately my insurance will not switch me back to Novolog no matter what. This is by far the worst insulin I have ever used and I have used Novolog, Humalog, and Fiasp. The last few months have been the worst as I absolutely cannot get my blood sugars under 200. I am terrified I am going to die of DKA because of this awful insulin. There needs to be a class action lawsuit against the makers of this horrid insulin and it needs to be take off the market and studied more.”

SB · Taken for 10 years or more August 30, 2019

Humalog KwikPen (insulin lispro): “I have had Type 1 Diabetes for 45 years, and I can say that this is the worst method of Insulin delivery I have ever used. The pen is difficult to dose with. It often jams, causing you to exceed pressure and bend a needle in your arm. I think the makers should take a lesson from the Lantus pen makers. The Lantus pen has never failed me, and the automatic spring delivery system, makes it foolproof. Humulog in a vial has always worked for me.”

Lynn May 29, 2018

Humalog KwikPen (insulin lispro): “These pens are horrible! I went to use it when my type 1 daughter's pump failed, and it did not administer correctly. The pens she used in the past were great. They made a clicking sound for each unit delivered, where these quick pens were silent and barely had pressure enough to indicate whether she got proper dosage, if any at all. They also don't have half units, and rounding up or down to full units can be very dangerous. These pens also create excessive waste. The previous pens themselves were reusable! Would love to go back to them!”

Vic April 6, 2021

Humalog (insulin lispro): “I have been using Humalog for approximately 1 year, in addition to Lantus. It has been working fine, but my complaint is in the pens. I have had 4 pens malfunction over the past year. I understand there are flaws in any item. But, when I called Lily to get replacements for the pens, they flat refused to stand behind their product. I just want to warn everyone who plans or is using this medication that Lily does not stand behind their product and you will be spending extra money in the event you experience a bad pen. These pens can get expensive. Buyer beware!!!”

smoo November 6, 2020

Humalog KwikPen (insulin lispro): “What is it with Humalog over the last (2019 + 2020) 2 years??? I have had MANY issues with my BG going THRU THE ROOF!! I have had type 1 since 1994. My avg HbA1c is 7.0. Humalog is THE PROBLEM. I use insulin based on carb counting. Has worked for all my years on insulin. It works well. But, over the last two years I have had MANY times when I have, for example, 200 BG and I eat 50 units of carbs. Those numbers tell me I need 2 units of insulin for my BG and 5 units for my carbs = 7. I usually may add 1 extra unit. After I do all of that in my example, my BG will be 300???!!!!! I did exactly what my Dr. has told me to do and what has worked for MANY years. But, it no longer works with Humalog. Humalog has been made weaker since Lily is providing it at a reduced cost to users. Thanks Lily, for being a company that looks for profit more than helping those who need good insulin. Time to move to Novolog. Humalog? Useless.”

RetiredCDE&T1Diabetic · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 27, 2017

Humalog KwikPen (insulin lispro): “I've been a T1 diabetic for 52 years, & am a retired Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE). I and my patients have all had a problem w/Humalog KwikPens: Sometimes a box has not one pen that works. I have followed their (Lilly, the manufacturer) directions (try a new needle, etc), but sometimes you get a batch that doesn't work. You can't get a refund either, so we're "out" hundreds of dollars in co-pays. I've tried several times to contact Lilly and they keep referring me back to the website for answers, which is useless. They also imply that the customers aren't able to use the pens correctly. Amazing that I've been successfully teaching patients for decades on using pumps, pens, etc and never had ANY problems except with these KwikPens. They're unpredictable!”

LJS6182 January 13, 2012

Humalog (insulin lispro): “I've been using Humalog in my insulin pump for over 10 years. Humalog works well as a basal insulin as well as bolus for highs that may occur due to a variety of circumstances. I've found it very easy to adjust my blood glucose levels using Humalog.”

kjnk · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2019

Humalog (insulin lispro): “I've been using Humalog for about 6 months so far. I was using Novolog before having to switch because of my insurance. I have found that I need to take more of the Humalog and the reaction time is also slower then Novolog.”

Ping · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2020

“I have used Humalog and Novalog interchangebly for years, with great results. I have NOT tried Sanofi's insulin lispro (Admelog); however, I recently got a bottle of Eli Lilly's generic insulin lispro. My blood glucose levels were consistently higher while I was on it. These levels returned to normal once I started back on Novalog. This generic lispro was slow on the uptake (more like "Regular" insulin), then it is crash and burn about 3.5 hours later, then not much left after that. I did not feel well on this insulin in a way that was different from the feeling of an elevated blood glucose. I had some foot swelling as well as tenderness in the region of my kidneys. I don't believe that I imagined this. This insulin is certainly better than nothing for an insulin dependent diabetic; however, I wouldn't choose to take it due to the side effects and I think that more research is definitely warranted.”

Dukster · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2019

Humalog (insulin lispro): “62 year old male, pancreatic cancer patient. I am developing diabetes due to a partial pancreatectomy. Humalog works very well, and works exactly as described on the web, and in the instruction pamphlet. No surprises !!”

cicinla · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2020

Admelog (insulin lispro): “My insurance won't pay for Humalog anymore, switched to Admelog about 4 months ago. I have been a juvenile diabetic for 49 years. No problems at all with dosing or it not working BUT when the vial fell off counter it broke! I probably drop a vial once every 2 months on my kitchen floor. After 49 years I broke a vial? Oh great, my insurance will not pay for a new vial after 3 weeks and on labor day weekend. No, I'm not switching, I hate pens. I can take 1/2 unit at a time with a .30 syringe.”

Jay M · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 28, 2021

“I have been a pump user for over fifteen years on Humalog. My A1C's were in the 6.8 - 7.4 range, but the last 8 months have shyrocked to 9.5 - 9.9 with difficulty getting BG down below 240. I too have been switched by my insurance (blue) to lispro. Going back, I see thats when the change in insulin happened. WARNING: Don't use this insulin, report this to your Dr.”

Emmie · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2020

Admelog (insulin lispro): “So I know I literally just started using this insulin today, but I didn't make my blood sugars go up as the others here I've read reviews about how it doesn't work for some. I know I just started but I must say I was super scared and nervous when I was told I would have to use this insulin , due to the fact that my insurance didn't want to cover Novolog anymore, I couldn't sleep thinking about it last night , because I knew today was the day I would have to change my Insulin cartridge today , I'm currently on the tslimx2 and at first I didn't like it the pump of course but now I love it . It maybe It depends on each person perhaps that's the case”

Di January 3, 2021

Humalog KwikPen (insulin lispro): “Have problems with my HUMALOG pens over the last couple of years. I switch to a new pen and my BG skyrockets. Have to throw away about one third of my pens. Is there a government agency checking the quality of medication sold to U.S. consumers anymore?”