Does Admelog need to be refrigerated?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on April 12, 2021.
- Unopened Admelog (insulin lispro injection) should be stored in the refrigerator (36°F to 46°F or 2°C to 8°C) until the first use. The unopened multidose vials and Solostar prefilled pen will be good until the expiration date on the package if they remain refrigerated until use.
- Once you have opened the Admelog vial or Solostar pens, you can store them at room temperature (below 86°F or 30°C). You need to protect them from direct heat and light. Do not store the Admelog Solostar pen in the refrigerator once in use.
- The vial or pens must be used within 28 days or thrown away (discarded), even if they still contain medicine.
Do not store Admelog in the freezer. If Admelog has been overheated or frozen, do not use it and throw it away.
The multi-dose vials (but not the pen) can also be stored in the refrigerator for 28 days once opened. Discard opened and refrigerated multi-dose vials after 28 days even if they still contain Admelog.
What is Admelog approved for and how is it used?
Admelog is a rapid-acting form of man-made insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults and children 3 years of age and older with type 1 diabetes and adults with type 2 diabetes. It is not known if Admelog is safe and effective in children with type 2 diabetes or in children younger than 3 years of age.
It comes as a 3 mL and 10 mL multi-dose vial and as a 3 mL single patient use Solostar prefilled pen (100 units per mL). Each prefilled SoloStar pen is for use by a single patient.
Admelog is given by three different ways: as a subcutaneous (under the skin) injection, as a continuous subcutaneous infusion using an insulin pump, and as an intravenous (IV) injection after dilution (and only under medical supervision).
This is not all the information you need to know about Admelog (insulin lispro injection) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Admelog information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Admelog (insulin lispro injection). Prescribing information. Sanofi Aventis. Bridgewater, CT. Accessed April 12, 2021 at https://products.sanofi.us/admelog/admelog.pdf
Related Medical Questions
- Can Trulicity be used with insulin?
- Humalog vs Novolog (Novalog): What's the difference?
- What is the difference between regular insulin and lispro (Humalog)?
- When does insulin lispro peak / how long does it last?
- Can regular and lispro insulin (Humalog) be mixed?
- How fast does insulin lispro work?