Can regular and lispro insulin (Humalog) be mixed?
- Yes, they can be mixed; however, there is no real reason why you would want to mix the two as they are both short-acting insulins.
- If you do need to mix regular and lispro insulin, draw up the lispro insulin first to prevent clouding.
- Typically, a short-acting insulin is given with either an intermediate-acting insulin or a long-acting insulin.
It is important to always check the compatibility of insulins before you mix them.
In general, the rule: “ Clear before cloudy, draw the fastest insulin first”, should be followed.
If you need to mix regular with lispro insulin (Humalog):
- Firstly, question the reason why? These are both short-acting insulins so clinically they are not often mixed as a short-acting insulin is usually combined with an intermediate or long-acting insulin.
- Regular insulin is compatible with lispro, but always draw up the lispro first, and then draw up the regular insulin to prevent clouding.
Some insulins cannot be combined. For example:
- Lantus and Levemir
- Protamine zinc and other insulins
- Lente insulins and NPH/isophane insulins
- Lente insulins and protamine suspended insulins
- Animal insulins and human or analog insulins.
Longer-acting insulins contain added buffers that make them last longer in the body, and these can settle at the bottom of a vial or precipitate out when mixed with other insulins (or mixed in the wrong order).
Do not shake a bottle of insulin. Instead, gently turn it up and down about 20 times or roll it in your hands slowly.
Lispro insulin has a rapid onset of action and peaks in one half the time and double the concentration of a comparable dose of regular insulin. It should be injected immediately before eating or with a meal.
- Starts working within 0 to 15 minutes after administration
- Peaks in 30 to 90 minutes
- Keeps working for less than five hours (usually two to four hours).
- Starts to work within 30 minutes after injection
- Peaks in 2 to 3 hours
- Keep working for up to 8 hours.
- Global RxPh The Clinicians Ultimate reference https://globalrph.com/medcalcs/insulin-mixing-tool-compatibility-questions-answered/
- Humalog Lilly https://www.drugs.com/pro/humalog.html
- Humulin R Lilly https://www.drugs.com/pro/humulin-r.html
Related Medical Questions
- Levemir vs Lantus: What's the Difference?
- What is the difference between regular insulin and lispro (Humalog)?
- Are Humulin and Humalog the same thing?
- Can Trulicity be used with insulin?
- Humalog vs Novolog (Novalog): What's the difference?
- Are glucagon and glycogen the same thing?
- How and where should I inject insulin?
- Is Novolin the same as Humulin?
- Toujeo vs Tresiba - What's the difference between them?
- Toujeo vs Lantus - What's the difference between them?
- Humulin N vs Humulin R - What's the difference?
- Is Trulicity a form of insulin?
- Does Tresiba cause weight gain?
- How long can Humulin be unrefrigerated?
- Insulin vs Glucagon - What do they have in common?