User Reviews for Lantus SoloStar to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Lantus SoloStar has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 22 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2. 55% of those users who reviewed Lantus SoloStar reported a positive effect, while 5% reported a negative effect.

Lantus SoloStar Rating Summary

7.6/10 average rating

Compare all 158 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Lantus SoloStar

Twosee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 1, 2021

“Lantus works very well. The pen itself is awful. It jams all the time. Then you have to get a new pen and inject yourself again. That mean you have to use a new needle also. These needles and pens are very expensive. You can't use the all of this insulin that you have paid for.”

Dori February 11, 2021

“The pen came apart while giving myself an injection!”

Steve · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2021

“These pens are garbage! I use mostly products from Novo Nordisk who have the pen design to perfection. Lantus solostar pens are like some one uneducated tried to copy and failed miserably. The insulin its self works well enough, the delivery method is laughable. It needs a serious redesign, one with users in mind.”

Jim Sparks · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 27, 2013

“When I realized I was diabetic I was very ill. My vision went blurry, my tongue was bleeding, sores would form and not heal on my arms, so thirsty, urinating every 15 mins etc. I have Type 2 diabetes and went on to Lantus as soon as the hospital released me. This is the best and safest way to keep your blood sugar levels normal. I have had control of my diabetes for 7 months now and it is so easy. Had to see an endocrinologist today and he tried to put me on Byetta and I told him no way will you change me from my Lantus Solostar as it never makes me feel bad and always makes me feel good and in control. Lantus is really great. ”

Realsis 77 October 16, 2010

“Lantus has been amazing for me. I struggled for so long with high blood sugar numbers and Lantus has changed that for me. I actually have normal numbers now! Lantus Solostar is so easy to use and completely painless! Its been incredible. Just one injection lasts all day long. Also Lantus doesn't peak so no low blood sugars here! I recommend Lantus and give it a ten rating. I can't stress enough how amazed I am on how well this product works! I was struggling with my blood sugar being high for so long and nothing seemed to be working! I tried pills, other insulins and still I was high! After taking Lantus my blood sugar level was actually normal! It continues to stay normal now. I was so surprised at first I even double checked my meter!”

Keith Myers October 6, 2014

“Insulin works fine just have trouble with pen. Always pain and pen jammed once. I use another brand of pen with no problems. Went over how to use video. I thought I was doing something wrong. But was not. Don't know why I get pain from this.”

Norman1234 March 16, 2016

“It seems equal to other insulin products with the exception of the delivery system. The pen they use is junk. I'll go further, it is hazardous. The more I use it the more pens I find that jam up. Their little rubber part gets deformed and stops going down. When it stops you apply more pressure and the needle wiggles and actually tears your skin. Sometimes when you pull the pen out it will release and squirt the insulin out into the air. The problem has been ongoing across numerous pens and numerous lots. It is a design flaw or manufacturing defect.”

mcarthurdw · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2015

“I am new to having to use insulin, and I hate injections. While this lantus works well to control my blood sugar, twice now, the pen has lock up with 30 units of insulin remaining. Forcing me to open a new pen and inject myself a second time to complete the prescribed dosage, this along with the loss now of 60 units of medication is very annoying.”

Skytinkle April 17, 2012

“I have been using the Lantus Solostar for about a month now. The pen is very easy for me to use. At first I had trouble just using one hand, so now after I insert the needle, I hold the pen in my left hand and depress the plunger with my right hand. This gives me more control over the entire process and with no pain.”

MizB · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 18, 2015

“Lantus is great, but am going to try Levemir as their delivery system looks better. Lanus Solostar is fine for strong, large handed people, but if you have arthritis or are older, it is a chore to deliver - its too hard to push and too big to stretch your hand to insure it doesn't slip.”

Anonymous September 6, 2009

“I have been on Lantus for a few years now. I love it, the ease in administration of the Solostar and of the cartridge pen is wonderful. I have never had a problem with it and when using it my sugars remain in good control and I feel wonderful.”

Al · Taken for 10 years or more September 17, 2019

“I have been taking Lantus for about 10 years and like it. I have always been getting it in the vials and using the BD needles (1/2 inch). This 3-month supply came in the pens due to a screwed up order from the doctor's office. The pens are complete garbage. with "Ease of use" a ZERO. To set the dose, you rotate the end-cap to the desired amount. As my dose is 100 per day, the pen only goes to 80. Therefore I must dial up 2 50 unit doses. The needle are so thin and too short. Administering requires FORCEFULLY pressing the end cap button making the dial unwind back to 0 each time. Excessive pressure is required, while trying to hold the 1/4 inch needle in at the same time always results in bent needles and often breaking needles. Whoever designed this piece of rubbish should be forced to use it daily. If you have a choice, never use the pens and stick to the standard needles!”

Louis Maltese October 28, 2016

“I have been using Lantus La SoloStar for more than 5 years with excellent results. I inject 80 units before bedtime. While the medicine certainly does its job and keeps my sugars in check, I have to agree with the fact that using the plunger mechanism is a nuisance quite frequently. I have large hands so the small hand complaint is not my issue -- it's a matter of the amount of force required to push the plunger to make it operate that's the problem. It would be appreciated if the manufacturer would take peoples complaints into consideration and redesign the plunger system. I have used other such pens in the past in an effort to help control my sugars and their plungers were nowhere near as difficult as the Lantus.”

Marmim0946 July 29, 2010

“I've been using this for a month now and it seems to be helping with the blood sugars. However I find the pen hard to use. I have small hands and the pen is to wide for me to grip easily and the plunger even harder to push down to inject. I hate needles so this is ideal way for me but something slimmer and easier to push would help. At 56 iu now it's virtually impossible to avoid pain with the injection.”

Lurchie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2018

“I find it takes much more pressure to administer the insulin than it should. Also, I'm concerned that I'm not getting the proper dose because there seems to be a puddle of insulin on my skin after dosing. I've used the Tresiba pen and it was great - but my insurance won't cover anything but the Lantus pen.”

DR · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2018

“I have liked using Lantus Solostar until this last pen. I am concerned I am not getting the correct dosage as I too experience the puddling/leakage and sometimes it weeps from the site. Using same needles wonder if it is a defective pen or if it is malfunctioning.”

v_raven June 14, 2009

“This medicine seemed to work well for a short period of time for a friend as well as myself. Now I find that if I increase my dosage drastically or decrease my dosage drastically (over 20 units) it will help get my blood sugar where I need them, according to my doctor.”

Wind Dancing · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 18, 2016

“I was on Lantus Solostar Pens for nine months. what bugged me was dose I was taking never matched the dose lines on the pen, also there was always at least 10 - 15 units left in pen that could not come out. My co-pay was $340.00 for 5 pens. I got up to needing 70 units a day, one pen equaled 4 days. I solved that by going to vials and syringes. Still taking Lantus, it is only insulin I have been on so not sure it is best for me.”

Matt Sam · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 9, 2017

“"Insulin works fine just have trouble with pen. Always pain and pen jammed twice. Needle tip bends due to unwanted pressure need to puts on the injecting switch. " Novelog pen is easy to use. Already reported this problem to the company in July 2017 and returned the defective pen to the company. It happened again"”

Tornado jim · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2020

“Been taking Lantus for just over a month has anyone else suffered from mouth and throat sores? Feels like a pill caught in your throat and cold sores inside your lip and on the side of your tongue very painful when you're trying to eat hopefully I can see the doctor that prescribed this tomorrow as I unable to eat for 3 days now”

AussieRedHead February 24, 2009

“Lantus SoloStar Pen is easy to use - I get very few "hypos". My levels are more stable. I feel wonderful since using this. I have now been on Lantus for 12 months.”

yieyie17 · Taken for 10 years or more October 5, 2014

“I totally love it! The best medicine that they have ever ever come out with for diabetes type 2!”

Ron · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 2, 2018

“I have used Lantus for years and with excellent results. My A 1C is 5.6. I am 83 and having a good time. The pen gives me no problems. Also, As the VA supplies me, the price is very right..”

The king · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2019

“It's a very good insulin controls blood sugar no side effects”

Re re 3467 July 21, 2016

“Overall excellent medicine, but soreness at injection site and water retention.”

Scotty2756 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 10, 2019

“Been using it for a year now and it works well. Yes I take janumet atorvastatin and losartan to but my last A1C was 6 down from way higher.”

Pam · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 16, 2018

“I have taken lantus for ten years it safe and a good drug . I have been having night sweats mainly on my legs is this normal ?”