User Reviews for Lantus to treat Diabetes, Type 1

Lantus has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 1. 70% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Lantus Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 1.

Reviews for Lantus

Altaira September 26, 2010

“Lantus has been a miracle for me. Prior to using it, my blood sugars were completely out of control. My numbers were so high at times, they wouldn't even register. I did everything my doctor told me to with no success. When I was taking R and N insulin, I'd have extreme highs and lows with my blood sugars. There simply was no regulation. Lantus so far has leveled out my blood sugar levels. I take it in conjunction with Humalog. Between the two, most of the spikes I've experiences have stopped. Although with the Humalog, I do have to be careful with hypoglycemic events. The combination of the two insulins is the only thing that's ever helped me. And I've been on everything you can imagine. It looks like I'll finally control my diabetes.”

Qimmuhst · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 13, 2012

“I have diabetes Type 1 with insulin resistance. Works well. I use 200u/day, 100 AM, 100 PM. It can burn quite a bit when injected, this is because Lantus is fairly acidic with a pH of around 4. When the low pH hits the higher pH of the body, it forms microscopic crystals that are absorbed slowly. This precipitating action that causes the burn as well as makes Lantus a long-acting insulin. It helps me to inject the 100 units in 2-3 sites so less goes in per site. Also be sure to leave the needle in for 15-30 seconds to avoid leakage. I'm a chemist by trade.”

Geo · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

“I have been on Lantus about 7 weeks now, I was previously on Levemir which worked Perfect for me. I knew when it peaked and was on a very regular schedule. I switched to Lantus because of cost, my insurance supplement charges $152.57 for one vial I need 2 a month, vs Lantus will be covered at $42.00 for one vial but But IS IS HORRIBLE. I have lows almost every single night - to 36, 40, 42, 46 which is driving me crazy. I feel awful !!! I have changed dosage from original 58 units with Levemir to same with Lantus and what a nightmare. So been adjusting since down to 48-50 and STILL having lows in the middle of the night. I was told by my doctor to take it at night so that's what I do at 12:30 pm since I am a night person. But STILL have Lows. This is a NIGHTMARE. This Lantus is going to be the end of me. I have got to somehow fit the cost of Levemir back in my budget $270. a month if I get 2 vials at once. What a NIGHTMARE..”

Anonymous December 17, 2019

“This drug works very well. My A1C is consistently in the 5.0-5.3 range with no highs or lows. (taking Humalog as well) The other long-acting drugs just don't work as well. For example, when I was on Basaglar (for a few weeks due to insurance change) I had unexpected highs and lows. It just didn't provide the same level of regular control that Lantus does. I have a continuous monitor and keep a close eye on my levels, so I'm convinced that Lantus works much better for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more September 30, 2016

“I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 21 years . I would like to Thank The Company and the employees of Sanofi-Aventis USA LLC for producing, packaging and providing Lantus Insulin to pharmacies so That I am to receive Lantus Insulin Through my insurance company. The Lantus Insulin helps me Survive every day.”

Anonymous December 23, 2020

“I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 45 years. I have been using Lantus with Humalog for probably over a decade. At one point, I switched to Levemir, due to insurance. It worked well, even just once a day. Then, insurance switched and so did my coverage; it was back to Lantus. Most recently, my doctor wanted to try me on Tresiba, which claims to last up to 42 hours and have better blood sugar control. However, after many issues with trying to get the right dose, along with many highs and lows, I decided to go back to Lantus. I am trying to take it in the morning at 6am, rather at 9pm when I used to previously, as I would always run low in the middle of the night; it was peaking like 6 hours or so after injection. It's only been a few days, so far, so good. I'll stick to Lantus- morning or evening!”

Almost perfect...needs to last longer. · Taken for 10 years or more July 7, 2014

“I've been taking it for 11 years and it works great. I have to take it twice a day though because (for me) the effects don't last as long as they're meant to.”