User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide / losartan

Also known as: Hyzaar

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide/losartan.

Hydrochlorothiazide/losartan Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 346 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide/losartan to treat High Blood Pressure

Hyzaar (hydrochlorothiazide / losartan): "I have been using this medication for almost 12 years (50/12.5), my blood pressure was ok and most of the periodical blood analysis I made were ok, never had a noticeable side effects. For almost 10 days now, my BP is 150/100 and is not decreasing although I am taking the medicine. The work doctor said that my body might have adapted to the medicine, so I am seeing a specialist today to see what to do.."

Hibo February 26, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After being on losaratan potassium 50mg per day for close to a year did slightly decrease my blood pressure; however I just recently acquired an allergic reaction to it. My lips look like two swollen water balloons. Went to the dr and he took me off of it. It's been close to a week off of this drug and my lips still look like day one of my allergic reaction. I'm told this is a rare symptom, lucky me. Dr offered to put me on prednisone to help with the swelling, but prednisone gives me worse side effects. Suffering through it. Very painful. Dr gave it a week for the swelling to go down, if not ? Luckily my tongue nor my throat swelled up, but still scary nonetheless. Be warned."

Cozar (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Noticeable difference after 2 weeks."

Bhmom90210 October 26, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine makes me slow in the head. Hard to think straight. I can't think straight with this drug."

Rookiy June 26, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Hyzaar (hydrochlorothiazide / losartan): "After trying organic and holistic alternatives for a year with no success I went to a Dr. who prescribed Hyzaar 50mg. I've been on it for 6 weeks, had my 2nd visit today and the Dr. said the approximately 10% improvement was all I could expect and immediatley prescribed a 2nd BP med. No discussion of increasing the dosage, just another med. I'm disappointed in the Dr. more than the med."

Patchara February 27, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For those who are having terrible leg cramps on BP medication. I had the same horrible problem to the point I was screaming my head off at times and could not walk. It was the HCTZ DIURETIC portion of my bp med that was causing it. NOT the Losartan part. This will be the same for any BP med that is blended with a HCTZ diuretic because Triamterene did the same thing. Since I don't really have any medical need for the diuretic, my doctor simply wrote me a script for the Losartan without the diuretic in it. Voila!! no more leg cramps! and my bp is still under control."

TexasGal2 January 19, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It has given me my lowest bp reading in months. Just started losartan hctz 50/12.5 and I'm 33 male. I'm much calmer with my family. My bp reading at noon was 129/85 and my last 90 day average is 141/95. I feel great but it's only been a week and no side affects."

Brando8410 January 9, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took the lowest dose of lisinopril available for 3 yrs before developing the dreaded cough. My Dr switched me to losartan 4 mos ago, again the lowest dose. After one month I started having intense leg cramps. When the bad cramps began affecting my rib cage if I just turned awkwardly, and the horrendous leg cramps kept me from sleeping, I quit taking the losartan (9 days ago). Within 48 hrs all these symptoms completely disappeared. I googled & found others had had the same problem. I'm 55 and felt worse than my 81 yr old dad. Now I feel 55 again! I'll see my Dr next week but I'm worried about any BP med now."

Upset lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2015

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor put me on benazepril, and I started having a dry cough. That then turned into wheezing and insomia. He put me on losartan-hydrochlorothiazide, and my blood pressure is down with NO side effects. I am also noting that swelling has gone down in my feet and my back pain has vanished as well. I've been on it for a little over a month, and I am thrilled with the results so far. My insurance also covers much more of the cost than the old drug I used, so that's a plus too!"

Cleobethra (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2015

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The Losartan did not control my blood pressure very well, and after about 6 months I developed arrhythmia and chest tightness. Went back on Benicar and symptoms decreased dramatically within 48 hours."

Foxglove108 May 16, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on lisinopril, but after a few weeks I developed the dreaded cough side effect. It took me over a month and a half to get rid of it. My dr. switched me to losartan. So far it has worked great. No side effects other than drowsiness, but that's okay with me. I take it at night and it helps me sleeps. Helps with my blood pressure and insomnia, kills two birds with one stone. Most of all I'm just happy to get rid of that lisinopril cough. That was making my life miserable."

Hawkeye Fan December 20, 2014

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The medication does not make my extremities swell like the last medicine did. My blood pressure has been stable since I started on the medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2014

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Hyzaar (hydrochlorothiazide / losartan): "I've been on for a week. I've never felt better, I've had an on and off fast heart beat and arrhythmia for 15 years, been checked multiple times for by heart doctor, always came back negative. I haven't felt this good since I was a kid, no more fast heart beat, no more chest pain or tightness, I feel relaxed and normal, a little thirsty but that's it."

dad82 February 15, 2014

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very good for high blood pressure."

aylu February 18, 2013

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Nothing works better for me. I ran out and couldn't get a refill because I moved out of state. I tried lisinopril 20mg and it did not hold my pressure down. After monitoring it myself with a reading of 202/110 I ended up in the ER, why I didn't have a headache I don't know. I am now back on losartan/hydrochlorothiazide 100/25."

geegeeox (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 17, 2013

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started using Lisinopril HCTZ and had muscle ache, lower desire for sex, but the blood pressure was in control 110/80. After reporting to my doctor he suggested Diovan HCTZ, I started losing a lot of hair but sex drive got much better. Met the DR again and was concerned about my hair loss as I read about majority of Diovan users lost hair. Switched to Losartan HCTZ 50/12.5mg and the blood pressure was under control and the best since started taking blood pressure medication. In the morning is the best time to measure it, prior to taking the pill, as its 24 hours after taking the pill. This pill is the most effective for me. I know its only a week but had couple coughs and couple times of slight light headedness feeling."

Shimmy April 9, 2012

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Hyzaar (hydrochlorothiazide / losartan): "While it is effective in lowering blood pressure, I have experienced side effects, to include ringing in the ears, dizziness, rapid heart beat, odd muscle pain and slightly elevated liver values. I also experienced rapid weight gain when switched to a generic version of the medicine."

DressageRider March 27, 2012

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Tried it for cost reasons. Blurred vision, 24 hour headache, 4 hours of diarrhea every afternoon. Might work for some. I'm going back on Diovan."

Anonymous October 26, 2011

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have used Hyzaar for several years now in conjunction with other medicines for Type 2 Diabetes. Until recently I used this and never had any side effects other than slight cough occasionally. My ACTOS is now apparently struggling with my body to keep insulin at levels to keep my blood sugar under control. With two issues my anxiety attacks and dizziness have been more frequent. I have taken a few days of complete regime (food, sugar control, etc.) and things are coming back in line. My trip to the ER pointed to a muscle deterioration issue which I have to take up with my Doctor, A side effect mentioned for this drug. Weight gain and fluid retention are creeping back after many years of smooth sailing."

Melvin2 August 8, 2011

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After trying 3 other treatments this has lowered my blood pressure and has not given me any side effects. I also wanted to have a generic since I don't have insurance."

Anonymous July 12, 2011

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It really works and minimal side effects with me. I love it. "

Aso June 26, 2011

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the only blood pressure medicine that seems to work for me. Minimal side effects. "

Anonymous March 8, 2011

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Hyzaar (hydrochlorothiazide / losartan): "I have used Hyzaar for 8 months. It does cause strange heartbeats and even much discomfort in right part of my chest about an hour after taking the pill. I never had any of that before."

Anonymous February 4, 2011

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Hyzaar (hydrochlorothiazide / losartan): "I used Hyzaar for the last 6 years. The best thing that happened to me. No side effects."

naber June 20, 2010

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Hyzaar (hydrochlorothiazide / losartan): "Just started taking this a few weeks ago and its already working for me. Blood pressure went from 200/92 to 140/79 when last checked. Slight feeling of lightheadedness at first but gone now. Also take ibuprofen with no side effects."

Anonymous June 7, 2010