User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide / losartan

Also known as: Hyzaar

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide/losartan.

High Blood Pressure
7.2

Summary of Hydrochlorothiazide/losartan reviews 7.2 41 reviews

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide/losartan

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on losartan two and half years. It has lowered my blood pressure to 130/80, I also have kidney disease and my reading of GFR was initially 59 but now it is 47 and it it damaged my kidneys, I also noticed my body takes longer to heal, and muscle loss"

Mohamed1239 September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Stopped taking Lisinopril because of side effects needed the Losartan 50 mg to keep my BP down no side effects with the Hydrochloride 12.5 mg combo been a year, no complaints."

FOCO Karen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hyzaar (hydrochlorothiazide / losartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been on this medication two times now. Both times it's helped lower my blood pressure. I was able to come off of it for about 2 years when I got my blood pressure under control and was keeping it that way, but recently my blood pressure has went back up so my Dr put me back on this medication. My prescription is for the generic brand. I have used both the name brand and generic and I couldn't tell any difference..only price was different. I've had no side effects from this medication, it's worked very well. I would recommend it."

cvdixon29 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "This pill nearly killed me!! It took so much salt out of my body that my blood pressure dropped to 42/28 !! I nearly had a stroke/ death situation!!!"

Big tuna 18 August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "After about 2 weeks on this medication, my BP has lowered tremendously, but the small side effects so far seems to worry me, from muscle weakness, shortness of breath, and lots of confusion and memory loss!!!"

PressureManCL August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "On this medication for 4 days and my blood pressure went down to 96/76. (I was in the 140-155 range). I felt so tired I didn't take it that night but have since restarted. BP is running 107-127 right now - I check it every morning and every night. Had a few leg cramps but drinking water seems to help. This is the only medication I take so this is all new to me."

Flying Monkey June 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hyzaar (hydrochlorothiazide / losartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been using this medication for almost 12 years (50/12.5), my blood pressure was ok and most of the periodical blood analysis I made were ok, never had a noticeable side effects. For almost 10 days now, my BP is 150/100 and is not decreasing although I am taking the medicine. The work doctor said that my body might have adapted to the medicine, so I am seeing a specialist today to see what to do.."

Hibo February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "After being on losaratan potassium 50mg per day for close to a year did slightly decrease my blood pressure; however I just recently acquired an allergic reaction to it. My lips look like two swollen water balloons. Went to the dr and he took me off of it. It's been close to a week off of this drug and my lips still look like day one of my allergic reaction. I'm told this is a rare symptom, lucky me. Dr offered to put me on prednisone to help with the swelling, but prednisone gives me worse side effects. Suffering through it. Very painful. Dr gave it a week for the swelling to go down, if not ? Luckily my tongue nor my throat swelled up, but still scary nonetheless. Be warned."

Cozar (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Noticeable difference after 2 weeks."

Bhmom90210 October 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "This medicine makes me slow in the head. Hard to think straight. I can't think straight with this drug."

Rookiy June 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hyzaar (hydrochlorothiazide / losartan) for High Blood Pressure: "After trying organic and holistic alternatives for a year with no success I went to a Dr. who prescribed Hyzaar 50mg. I've been on it for 6 weeks, had my 2nd visit today and the Dr. said the approximately 10% improvement was all I could expect and immediatley prescribed a 2nd BP med. No discussion of increasing the dosage, just another med. I'm disappointed in the Dr. more than the med."

Patchara February 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "For those who are having terrible leg cramps on BP medication. I had the same horrible problem to the point I was screaming my head off at times and could not walk. It was the HCTZ DIURETIC portion of my bp med that was causing it. NOT the Losartan part. This will be the same for any BP med that is blended with a HCTZ diuretic because Triamterene did the same thing. Since I don't really have any medical need for the diuretic, my doctor simply wrote me a script for the Losartan without the diuretic in it. Voila!! no more leg cramps! and my bp is still under control."

TexasGal2 January 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "It has given me my lowest bp reading in months. Just started losartan hctz 50/12.5 and I'm 33 male. I'm much calmer with my family. My bp reading at noon was 129/85 and my last 90 day average is 141/95. I feel great but it's only been a week and no side affects."

Brando8410 January 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I took the lowest dose of lisinopril available for 3 yrs before developing the dreaded cough. My Dr switched me to losartan 4 mos ago, again the lowest dose. After one month I started having intense leg cramps. When the bad cramps began affecting my rib cage if I just turned awkwardly, and the horrendous leg cramps kept me from sleeping, I quit taking the losartan (9 days ago). Within 48 hrs all these symptoms completely disappeared. I googled & found others had had the same problem. I'm 55 and felt worse than my 81 yr old dad. Now I feel 55 again! I'll see my Dr next week but I'm worried about any BP med now."

Upset lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "My doctor put me on benazepril, and I started having a dry cough. That then turned into wheezing and insomia. He put me on losartan-hydrochlorothiazide, and my blood pressure is down with NO side effects. I am also noting that swelling has gone down in my feet and my back pain has vanished as well. I've been on it for a little over a month, and I am thrilled with the results so far. My insurance also covers much more of the cost than the old drug I used, so that's a plus too!"

Cleobethra (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "The Losartan did not control my blood pressure very well, and after about 6 months I developed arrhythmia and chest tightness. Went back on Benicar and symptoms decreased dramatically within 48 hours."

Foxglove108 May 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was on lisinopril, but after a few weeks I developed the dreaded cough side effect. It took me over a month and a half to get rid of it. My dr. switched me to losartan. So far it has worked great. No side effects other than drowsiness, but that's okay with me. I take it at night and it helps me sleeps. Helps with my blood pressure and insomnia, kills two birds with one stone. Most of all I'm just happy to get rid of that lisinopril cough. That was making my life miserable."

Hawkeye Fan December 20, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "The medication does not make my extremities swell like the last medicine did. My blood pressure has been stable since I started on the medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hyzaar (hydrochlorothiazide / losartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been on for a week. I've never felt better, I've had an on and off fast heart beat and arrhythmia for 15 years, been checked multiple times for by heart doctor, always came back negative. I haven't felt this good since I was a kid, no more fast heart beat, no more chest pain or tightness, I feel relaxed and normal, a little thirsty but that's it."

dad82 February 15, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Very good for high blood pressure."

aylu February 18, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Nothing works better for me. I ran out and couldn't get a refill because I moved out of state. I tried lisinopril 20mg and it did not hold my pressure down. After monitoring it myself with a reading of 202/110 I ended up in the ER, why I didn't have a headache I don't know. I am now back on losartan/hydrochlorothiazide 100/25."

geegeeox (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 17, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I started using Lisinopril HCTZ and had muscle ache, lower desire for sex, but the blood pressure was in control 110/80. After reporting to my doctor he suggested Diovan HCTZ, I started losing a lot of hair but sex drive got much better. Met the DR again and was concerned about my hair loss as I read about majority of Diovan users lost hair. Switched to Losartan HCTZ 50/12.5mg and the blood pressure was under control and the best since started taking blood pressure medication. In the morning is the best time to measure it, prior to taking the pill, as its 24 hours after taking the pill. This pill is the most effective for me. I know its only a week but had couple coughs and couple times of slight light headedness feeling."

Shimmy April 9, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hyzaar (hydrochlorothiazide / losartan) for High Blood Pressure: "While it is effective in lowering blood pressure, I have experienced side effects, to include ringing in the ears, dizziness, rapid heart beat, odd muscle pain and slightly elevated liver values. I also experienced rapid weight gain when switched to a generic version of the medicine."

DressageRider March 27, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Tried it for cost reasons. Blurred vision, 24 hour headache, 4 hours of diarrhea every afternoon. Might work for some. I'm going back on Diovan."

Anonymous October 26, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Have used Hyzaar for several years now in conjunction with other medicines for Type 2 Diabetes. Until recently I used this and never had any side effects other than slight cough occasionally. My ACTOS is now apparently struggling with my body to keep insulin at levels to keep my blood sugar under control. With two issues my anxiety attacks and dizziness have been more frequent. I have taken a few days of complete regime (food, sugar control, etc.) and things are coming back in line. My trip to the ER pointed to a muscle deterioration issue which I have to take up with my Doctor, A side effect mentioned for this drug. Weight gain and fluid retention are creeping back after many years of smooth sailing."

Melvin2 August 8, 2011