User Reviews for Haloperidol

Aggressive Behavior 1.0
Summary of Haloperidol reviews 4.6 111 reviews

Reviews for Haloperidol

Michael · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Sometime after my same day surgery to treat a cancer tumor, I was given some unspecified amount of Haldol through my IV line. I was shocked when I heard I was given Haldol since it is known as an anti-psychotic drug with very severe side effects I had no idea it was ever used for the prevention of nausea and vomiting over all standard such as Zofran. Since I had same procedure several weeks earlier I was amazed Define the effects of what I thought was just the anesthesia wear so much more severe. I had disorientation, restlessness, anxiety, memory problems, tiredness, sleepiness, constipation, and even some depression. I can only attribute the difference in my reaction to the use of Haldol. It's been about 48 hours since I was discharged from the hospital, and I still don't feel right. My advice to any patient who may be given this drug to treat/prevent nausea and vomiting is to request something else that's much safer. I would certainly never take this again.”

Camilla July 19, 2020

For Aggressive Behavior: “I was given this haloperidol with an injection of Ativan a few days ago for aggressive behavior due to my bipolar. I was so freaking angry and annoyed and was also crying my eyes out and throwing things so at the crappy hospital I was at they had several “nurses” screaming at me even though I was hysterical. They strapped me to the bed and this dude said he’s going to inject me with HALDOL and Ativan. And I freaked out and told him that I demanded only Ativan and he said “all patients who are hysterical have to take haldol it doesn't matter if your are allergic or not" so I got injected with both haldol and Ativan. In 5 minutes I started feeling unusually sleepy and my legs were insanely restless at the same time. I slept for 15 hours that night and the feeling in my legs were so extreme that I wanted to scream and launch out of my own body but I massaged my legs with lotion to get rid of the feeling. The feeling wore off 17 hours later.”

Anonymous June 29, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Was given haloperidol for stomach pain and nausea. Made everything worse they should have never given it. Only slept 1 hour that night in the hospital and was miserable”

Baty · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2020

For Psychosis: “My son had a mental health crisis and was taken to the mental hospital. He was talking about aliens and the devil, he removed his clothes because he was saying that was no more people on the whole word, only us my husband and my daughter. When he was in the hospital they put him on haloperidol and he tried suicide. He was there for 14 days he returned home and was only for 2 days and he try to suicide again, after a week he is home again but he can't sleep and looks like a zombie. I will talk to his doctor tomorrow and ask him to suspend this medication reading all the bad reviews and seeing my son like this I believe is the bad side effects of this medicine.”

Sab May 20, 2020

For Psychosis: “I was on this medication haloperidol for psychosis for 3.5 years. It prevented me from having another episode, and I was still using street drugs. I still had paranoid delusions about my partner but at least I didn’t have a psychosis. Side effects only higher cholesterol and increased prolactin levels. All and all the medication wasn’t too bad.”

Nope! · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2020

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “I took haloperidol 0.5mg once. It was remarkable how calm I felt. Just off the results from that one pill I was ready to sign up. Then that night I started having painful whole-muscle body spasms. I couldn’t even put my tongue in my own mouth. Thank god that at the hospital they gave me some kind of shot that made it stop. I was afraid I was going to be stuck like that for life. The most frightening thing that ever happened to me.”

Jimmy · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I got rushed to the ER for nonstop vomiting. I was vomiting for over 10 hours until I finally decided to go to the hospital. They gave me 2 injections of Zofran but unfortunately, I was still vomiting. Then they gave me a dose of Haldol which finally stopped my vomiting. My horrible stomach cramps were gone as well. I was able to get the best possible sleep. When I woke up, I felt like a million bucks. Haldol definitely saved me!”

lucy April 22, 2020

For Psychosis: “I took this drug haloperidol in 2019 while I was being hospitalized for my first psychotic episode. It calmed the psychosis, but I still felt confused/disoriented and believed things that weren’t true. Plus, I felt like an actual zombie on it. I physically couldn’t keep my eyes open, and I was functioning halfway between asleep and awake all day. I couldn’t read or watch tv because my eyes couldn’t see clearly. It was a mess. I’m on paliperidone now and while it has its own side effects, it’s a million times better than Haldol.”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol) for ICU Agitation: “My 17 year old son with severe autism was given Haldol during a pediatric ER visit. He is non-verbal and usually has severe anxiety in any healthcare setting. We took him to the ER because he appeared dehydrated after 24-36 hours of nausea, vomiting and behavioral symptoms that had become more severe. We informed the ER physician that he typically reacts the exact opposite to sedatives than should be expected and recommended one drug that has been effective in the past. A sedative was necessary in order to obtain a CT scan. The physician wanted to use Haldol because it has been effective with kids with autism and could also help my sons nausea. My son had no problem with the nurse setting up the IV which was not his norm. It did not take long after injecting this drug for him to go from calm, quiet and lethargic to needing 6-7 adults to subdue him and strap his wrists and ankles to his bed. What a joke!”

Sunflower2020 · Taken for 10 years or more January 24, 2020

For Psychosis: “I've been on this drug haloperidol for over 10 years. I haven't really had problems with the drug apart from sleeping a lot. Also I feel progressively less well now generally in my health than I was before this could be a side effect. I have a fear of people and this is family members and people outside. I have become withdrawn and socially awkward. I remain very quiet talking only to select people. This is also a side affect of the drug. My advice is that if the drug suits you stay on it. Reading the other reviews I think the drug is not suiting the other users. It has suited me for over 10 years now.”

Roxrdt · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “They gave me this medicine for stomach pain and all it did was make me loose control physically and mentally. I could not stop moving my arm and legs and I thought I was going to be put in a rubber room scared the life out of me never again”

Grace · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 28, 2019

For Psychosis: “Haloperidol is very dangerous. I was given haloperidol 3 times over a period of 10 years. I had hallucinations of snakes and severe delusions which led me to harm myself without any idea of the consequences of what I was doing. I've been well for 18 years now and want this medication banned.”

Shell · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 24, 2019

For Psychosis: “I was put on Haldol in a mental hospital and I couldn't sit still. The longer I was on it symptoms just got worse and worse until I felt like I wanted to climb out of my own body. I really don't like this drug at all.”

Keyvaan · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2019

For Psychosis: “I'm taking this med haloperidol for just 1 week and a dose of just 0.5 mg daily but I decided to stop immediately. Why? Because I can't sleep at nights, I'm restless and anxious. This side effects are really annoying and they disturb my daily life balance. I don't know why would a doctor want to put this in someone's body. Don't take this drug if you can use other drugs and options. That's my opinion.”

Peter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 16, 2019

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “My side effects of Haldol = Restlessness and Anxiety. The need to move coupled with the desire not to. Muscle tension and tremors, combined with the ability to walk correctly. Heavy drooling at the mouth, nausea, and terrible constipation amounting to the inability to take a dump, and the inability the urinate without sitting down. In addition, the inability to ejaculate.”

tma · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2019

For Psychosis: “I was given haloperidol by injection in the hospital for bipolar l on several occasions during "emergencies" where I was agitated and/or confused and once for severe paranoia. I believe they gave it with ativan each time. I know this drug has a lot of negative effects for some people, but it helped me every time, and I even took an injection voluntarily a couple of times, because of how quickly it calms me down most of the time. I was given an injection one night after getting very agitated and trying to leave the locked unit. I hadn't eaten or drank anything in days and hadn't showered. They were ready to give me IV fluids, but the day after I had the injection, I was able to think clearly enough to shower and eat. It's not for everyone, but I can say it has helped me as a PRN med.”

Bipolar 1 gal · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2019

For Mania: “This haloperidol is the worst drug I have ever been given in my life. After the injection I was immediately not able to speak. My feet started tapping and kicking uncontrollably. 12 hours later I had extreme tightening of the jaw, the tightening went down my neck. I couldn’t swallow my spit and me trying to say my name and birthdate sounded like when a deaf person was trying to speak. Very rapidly my neck and spinal muscles contracted backwards, eyes were stuck rolled behind my head, completely locked up and painful, apparently this is a side effect called dystonia. I couldn’t get a word out. Thankfully a doctor gave me the antidote to cure this reaction (Benadryl!!!) and within a minute my body started to go back to normal, and I started sobbing happy tears. Scariest medication of my life. Please be careful with this one.”

vandalized · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 16, 2019

Haldol Decanoate (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “I had an involuntary psychiatric hospitalization. This Haldol felt the same as risperidal consta, only it felt more tolerable. Still the same mind freeze and dyskinesia and extreme fear from dyskinesia, as if you are losing your mind. Also permanent changes to normal only began happening 6 mo after stopping. Permanent rise in phosphorus levels in my blood, as well as more inflammation of the parathyroids. After that my osteoporosis became unmanageable. Putting people on these substances is only justifiable if there is absolutely no way to restrain them or make them think and behave in our normal everyday human reality. Since reality is hard to judge when you are working, supposedly, then all the shy and outspoken kids who are not black get put on these meds first.”

Big D · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2019

Haldol Decanoate (haloperidol): “The Medical Center in Ohio forced this drug into me after they noted that I did not want drugs and was awake alert conscious, with normal mood and affect, this drug was given in conjunction with several others and caused lasting headaches and serious cognitive dysfunctions including seizures and loss of joy. Avoid this drug if at all possible.”

Lauri1234 August 10, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Was given haloperidol in ER thru IV. Within seconds I got a hot flash like the menopause kind and then I felt like I couldn't sit still. They wouldn't give me anything to reverse it. Stayed like that for 2 hrs then they discharged me. It is 14 hrs later and still feeling agitated and restless. I hope it stops soon cause benadryl is making it worse.”

Lulu · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Was given this med through IV in the ER for severe stomach cramping and vomiting. It helped the cramping in stomach and vomiting but the moment they administered this drug I knew something was wrong. My legs started getting sore and cramping up on their own. Parts of my body would twitch and shake and I just couldn’t take it anymore I thought I was having a mental break. I was terrified that I’d be stuck like this forever with the awful panic that also came along with this med. Went right back into emerg and had them give me benadryl and a pill to reverse the effects. Never AGAIN!!!!”

G · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2019

For Mania: “It was great while I took it. Made me feel "normal". Took 5mg of this medication for 3 months and was pulled off of it cold turkey because I developed a jaw tic. Well, two weeks later I couldn't eat without throwing up. Went to the hospital and they did normal tests and said I was fine. Two days later I had obsessive swallowing, dysphagia, and dry mouth which lasted until now (1 1/2 weeks) went to urgent care and found out I went from 133 pounds to 116 in two weeks. Not to mention suicidal thoughts MUCH worse than before I ever started taking medication. Been drinking ensure and just started to be able to eat pureed food. DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY.”

ASash · Taken for less than 1 month July 5, 2019

For Psychosis: “Never take this med!!!”

Briiroma · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2019

For Psychosis: “I take this for psychotic features from bipolar 2. This hasn't been to bad. I take the concentrate liquid as the pills are not available to order in my area. I can say the only thing I don't like is the sedation part (mild; I try to fight it but cant after awhile) also I've seen a small, very small difference in my weight even though I still workout and eat correctly ( could very well be my depression and missing those pills) everyone's body reacts differently, its worth a shot.”

Bear · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2019

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Take this medicine if you want the worst experience of your life! This caused extreme restlessness & anxiety. I felt like I couldn't move, and it was hard to talk. IV causes a more serve adverse reaction than IM or oral form. If you get these med, make sure you are ALSO given benadryl, cogentin, or a benzo to prevent these side effects! I was given benadryl & ativan, but they had to give me an extra dose of each because it wasn't helping enough.”