User Reviews for Fludrocortisone

Also known as: Florinef, Florinef Acetate

Fludrocortisone has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 37 ratings on Drugs.com. 61% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 16% reported a negative experience.

Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome  Off-label
8.1
Addison's Disease
7.9
Dysautonomia  Off-label
Summary of Fludrocortisone reviews 7.5 37 reviews

Reviews for Fludrocortisone

Potswarrior · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 1, 2020

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “Before this medication my heartrate was in the 160s upon waking and stayed that way everyday. I had severe anxiety from the adrenal dumps and was a miserable mess. I was labeled a hypochondriac with severe depression and anxiety even though this had only been going on for 6 months. I had 4 suicide attempts because I was so miserable and nobody believed something else was wrong. Finally my new Psychiatrist said they thought I had POTS. It took three Psych hospital stays. A dozen trips to the ER and one incredible Psychiatrist to save my life. I take .01mg of Fludrocortisone twice a day. My quality of life is almost back to normal. My heart rate rests between 70-100. I'm weaning off of Xanax and am no longer pegged as a hypochondriac. My depression and anxiety are minor and I am going back to school in the fall for my Bachelor's. This medication gave me my life and my sanity back.”

Jay Dee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · June 25, 2019

Florinef (fludrocortisone) for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I have been "sick" as long as I can remember. I passed out for the first time when I was 14. I've always had the "I feel like I have the flu, and I'm dying symptoms". I did not have a good quality of life. I was diagnosed with POTS and NMH (Neurally Mediated Hypotension) in April of 2018 and immediately put on medicine. The first medicine have me awful side effects, so I was switched to Fludrocortisone. This medicine has changed my life. I can not live without feeling like I'm sick all the time. The only times I feel sick now are when I forget my medicine, or I go too long between meals. The only negative side effect is, I've gained 14 pounds so far, which sucks, but it's better than the alternative.”

UK120 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 25, 2020

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I experienced depression during the first week on fludrocortisone. Then the depression went away and my POTS got much better. It took about a month until I felt the full effect. I've only been on it for 5 weeks but I have not felt this good in a very long time.”

Jenn C. · July 31, 2019

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I was diagnosed with POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) back in 2001 it is now 2019 I have been on 0.01 milligrams of florinef and a beta blocker together ever since they have never failed me once. It's an excellent drug I have never had a side effects and I highly recommended and now my daughter is going through similar and starting to get flare-ups POTS and I'm almost hoping that they give her this medication as well because his works are wonderful day for me because her quality of life is not good at the moment”

Weight Gain on Florinef · December 6, 2016

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “Florinef has definitely helped the symptoms from POTS/Vasovagal Syncope. But what it has also done is create a steady weight gain to the tune of 25 lbs to which I'm miserable with. I've work with a nutritionist to prevent diabetes, I work out 5 times a week, and have not so much lost a pound of it. This drug has awful side effects for some of us, which for me is weight gain, and mood swings. I'm working to get off of it, assuming my adrenals don't crash from the prolonged use. These side effects of this medication for long term use are extremely dangerous and it shouldn't be on the market.”

Mom · Taken for 2 to 5 years · October 16, 2020

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I’ve been on fludrocortisone 0.1 for almost four years. It’s the only thing out there that helps me not feel like I’m about to die everyday. I suggest not taking any probiotics with it .. probiotics weakened my dose. I do have to sleep at an incline and drink extra water. Should take potassium and magnesium with it as well, to keep your heart from racing at night - POTS / Dysautonomias”

Ladiva · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 9, 2018

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I had been having chest pain for months. Treated it with antibiotics twice and then steroids. Finally I saw my cardiologist who felt it was my out of control POTS. I went up to 0.2 mg and the chest pain went within a week. I am now down to 0.1 mg but I miss it I get the chest pain straight back. I also feel that my head is a great deal clearer. Less brain fog even though I had not been aware of it before.”

WheelsNZ · November 15, 2014

Florinef Acetate (fludrocortisone) for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “Amazing. No noticeable effect on one 0.1mg, but docs doubled dose to 2tablets ie 0.2mg and it's amazing. Can sit up, walk, and haven't fainted since 0.2mg started. Trialed going to 0.1mg and a day and a half later, was back to dizzy, faint, tachy etc.”

POTSie Girl · June 25, 2015

Florinef (fludrocortisone) for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I started taking florinef a few months ago and while I haven't noticed a difference, I believe it is keeping my symptoms from progressing. Before I went on it my body was on a downward fall but as soon as I started taking it everything was stable. It has made me gain about 5-10 pounds of water weight but it's not too bad. This drug along with my other medicine allows me to live my life better.”

yuri · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · May 10, 2022

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I've been taking fludrocortisone (Florinef) 0.1 mg, 2x per day, for 7 months. My body barely retains fluids, so I feel fludrocortisone was the perfect medicine for me. I suspect my POTS was caused by low blood volume. These meds raise blood volume and make my body hold onto salt and fluids, so it works wonders. I am almost symptom-free since I started taking this. Side Effects: I had a headache when I first started taking it. This lasted 2-3 days, and I think it was because I needed to adjust my salt & water intake. I also suspect these meds have made my acne a little worse, but the difference is barely noticeable so maybe not. I have not experienced any weight gain from taking this. I've actually lost a few pounds. It was almost impossible to lose weight before taking this, but I think it put my body "in balance" so my metabolism can function correctly. I eat almost 2x more than I did before without gaining weight. Results definitely vary.”

Klara · Taken for 2 to 5 years · December 19, 2021

Florinef Acetate (fludrocortisone) for Addison's Disease: “I cannot cope without this wonder medicine... I live living a natural life but I have found that this medicine is difference between survival and quality of life... Vs just hoping to make it through the day.”

simon the cat · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 6, 2013

For Dysautonomia: “After being a serious athlete my whole life and winning 10 k races last spring, I suddenly developed autonomic dysfunction (Dysautonomia) about two months ago at age 66. I am taking 0.1 mg Florinef per day, half before breakfast and half around noon. I am functioning much better with the medication. I also drink extra liquid and two 11 oz cans of V8 juice (920 mg Na per can) in morning. I have been able to continue working full time as a professor, something that I would not have been able to do without the medicine. Swimming is my only good option for aerobic exercise, so I am doing laps for 30 min 4 or 5 days a week.”

POTSPatient · Taken for less than 1 month · September 22, 2021

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I was on it for 2 weeks at 0.1mg, then 1 more week at 0.2mg. It really helped with raising my blood pressure to a healthy level and reducing POTS symptoms. Unfortunately, I had to go off of it (tapered gradually with doctor’s advise) because it caused depression, irritability, rapid mood swings, intense agoraphobia, and psychotic symptoms. (I am treated for PTSD and bipolar disorder and have been stable for over 2 years, so some of them weren’t new symptoms, but they were symptoms I hadn’t experienced in a very long time.) I’m normally really comfortable with toughing out side effects for the benefit of a medication, but I couldn’t tough those ones out. If you have a history of mental illness, or if you have a sibling or parent with mental illness, please make sure your doctor knows that and consider asking about alternatives. It’s a great medication for those who need it and it did really help with POTS, but the side effects were not worth it for me personally.”

Middle Aged Guy · Taken for 5 to 10 years · February 18, 2020

For Dysautonomia: “I've taken fludrocortisone for almost 10 years. It helps a lot with orthostatic hypotension. Questionable impact on breathlessness with exertion or mental fogginess. It does require monitoring blood pressure. The medicine can cause BP to be above normal, healthy levels.”

simplivin · December 20, 2009

Florinef (fludrocortisone) for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I developed a rash and after testing at the NY Medical College and Vanderbilt Center for Dysautonomias, we found my blood volume was not low (often the case with POTS patients) and the mechanism that florinef acts upon.”

jlmc2016 · Taken for 10 years or more · March 4, 2016

Florinef (fludrocortisone): “When I was in my early 20's I was always sick, weak-fainting-felt like a hangover or morning sickness 24/7 (even taking a shower was a huge event for me)....went through many test and other meds, until I started taking this. Worked great at stabilizing my body allowing me to live a normal life, no side effects really. Tried to wean myself off a few time, (or even if I forgot to take a pill), I would feel very very weak and short of breath, heart palpitation--kind of like a really bad hang over feeling. **side note--I had been on birth control since I was 18. Eventually I decided to stop taking BC (at 28 yrs old), and now have completely stopped taking Florinef...no struggle or signs of weakness/sickness. I am feeling great. It has been 1 mo”

Anonymous · October 26, 2020

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I started using ludrocortisone for my POTS about 4 months ago and it has worked wonders for my POTS. On the contrary, it has made my hair fall out and break off. I’ve also got some acne now. I have never had acne before until this medicine.”

Parsnips · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 20, 2020

For Addison's Disease: “I have Addison’s disease I always took hydrocortisone barely gave me back my life but relied upon it. Took Fludrocortisone 0.1 mg as a new prescription 1/2 am & 1/2 pm. Right away it made me feel very dizzy spinning around constantly like vertigo, nausea graduating to dry heaves to vomiting, my eyes felt like they were bulging out of my skull with eye/head pain white outs, and lastly I lost feeling or sensation everything was numb. I have been off meds almost a week and I still experience side effects. I did have more energy or feeling like a normal person but with all these constant reactions I was better off staying on Hydrocortisone 30 mg per day”

Very misdiagnosed · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 4, 2020

For Addison's Disease: “Blood tests showed low aldosterone (Hypoaldosteronism) which had been causing dizziness so doctor added .1mg of fludrocortisone in addition to the hydrocortisone to combat fatigue associated with adrenal insufficiency. Slight headaches occasionally but blood pressure is still very normal overall.”

Mr. misdiagnosed · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 30, 2020

For Dysautonomia: “Started fludrocortisone .1mg 1/2 pill twice per day, first dose at breakfast then again around lunch. Stops the dizzy spells, orthostatic hypotension and lightheadedness while standing extremely well but did increase resting BP from picture perfect to high normal. It doesn’t do much for fatigue and I also take with hydrocortisone for the adrenal insufficiency.”

Sarah T · Taken for less than 1 month · July 4, 2021

For Dysautonomia: “I have orthostatic intolerance, with suspected low blood volume and dysautonomia. I just wanted to share an odd side effect of fludrocortisone: it gives me a bicarb soda taste in the back of my throat and it also gives a bicarb soda smell to my faeces. I am only on a half dose (0.05mg) so far because my doctor wants to be very cautious, so I can't say whether it is helping with my OI symptoms. In the first week of taking it, I had a metallic taste in my mouth and a slight nausea, but this went away. Now got the weird bicarb effect!”

junebug · Taken for less than 1 month · November 23, 2020

For Addison's Disease: “been on fludrocortisone for two weeks' and my low blood pressure is much better but I do have trouble swallowing and my eyes tear a lot but I'll take that to stay out of ER, as I was going at least once a month when my pressure would drop very low.”

SallyS · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 21, 2021

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I am still on a low dose of this medication, so I can't say yet whether it is going to help my orthostatic intolerance (OI) and suspected low blood volume. In the meantime, I wanted to report the side effects on my sense of taste. In the first two weeks, I had a metallic taste in my mouth. In the second two weeks, I had a bicarb taste in the back of my throat/nose. Now I am also getting a reduction in my sense of taste. I can't taste sweet or umami very well. Orange juice and roasted vegies are okay, but everything else tastes cardboardy. I really hope that this side effect goes away, or the fludrocortisone starts working. Being unwell and also being hit with side effects and no benefits is hard. If the tablets were fixing my OI, I could probably live with the hypogeusia.”

Potssux522 · July 24, 2017

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I started on Florinef a few weeks ago. I'm noticeably doing better but not quite able to fully function like before. I have good days and bad days. I started on 0.2mg. Going to see if I can increase and if that will help. I'd like to be able to go back to work.”

Cortni · Taken for 10 years or more · November 28, 2021

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I have been taking fludrocortisone for over 10 years now it has been the only thing that does help me with my POTS. I take 1 tablet daily and two if I’m feeling worse which helps my blood pressure come up from its super super low days which are very common for me. I do have concerns always about the long term use of this and how it’s affecting my body. My doctors never seem to bring it up for monitor my blood work. Which I’ve read they are suppose to be monitoring closely with long term use. I do have bad insomnia from this medication and restlessness. I have other issues but you just never know if that the meds or the POTS. But it’s the only thing that helps me and I wish there was more they could do to help others POTS.”