User Reviews for Fludrocortisone

Also known as: Florinef, Florinef Acetate

Fludrocortisone has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 29 ratings on Drugs.com. 63% of those users who reviewed Fludrocortisone reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome  Off-label
5.8
Summary of Fludrocortisone reviews 7.7 29 reviews

Reviews for Fludrocortisone

UK120 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2020

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I experienced depression during the first week on fludrocortisone. Then the depression went away and my POTS got much better. It took about a month until I felt the full effect. I've only been on it for 5 weeks but I have not felt this good in a very long time.”

junebug · Taken for less than 1 month November 23, 2020

For Addison's Disease: “been on fludrocortisone for two weeks' and my low blood pressure is much better but I do have trouble swallowing and my eyes tear a lot but I'll take that to stay out of ER, as I was going at least once a month when my pressure would drop very low.”

Anonymous October 26, 2020

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I started using ludrocortisone for my POTS about 4 months ago and it has worked wonders for my POTS. On the contrary, it has made my hair fall out and break off. I’ve also got some acne now. I have never had acne before until this medicine.”

Potswarrior · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2020

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “Before this medication my heartrate was in the 160s upon waking and stayed that way everyday. I had severe anxiety from the adrenal dumps and was a miserable mess. I was labeled a hypochondriac with severe depression and anxiety even though this had only been going on for 6 months. I had 4 suicide attempts because I was so miserable and nobody believed something else was wrong. Finally my new Psychiatrist said they thought I had POTS. It took three Psych hospital stays. A dozen trips to the ER and one incredible Psychiatrist to save my life. I take .01mg of Fludrocortisone twice a day. My quality of life is almost back to normal. My heart rate rests between 70-100. I'm weaning off of Xanax and am no longer pegged as a hypochondriac. My depression and anxiety are minor and I am going back to school in the fall for my Bachelor's. This medication gave me my life and my sanity back.”

Jenn C. July 31, 2019

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I was diagnosed with POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) back in 2001 it is now 2019 I have been on 0.01 milligrams of florinef and a beta blocker together ever since they have never failed me once. It's an excellent drug I have never had a side effects and I highly recommended and now my daughter is going through similar and starting to get flare-ups POTS and I'm almost hoping that they give her this medication as well because his works are wonderful day for me because her quality of life is not good at the moment”

Jay Dee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 25, 2019

Florinef (fludrocortisone) for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I have been "sick" as long as I can remember. I passed out for the first time when I was 14. I've always had the "I feel like I have the flu, and I'm dying symptoms". I did not have a good quality of life. I was diagnosed with POTS and NMH (Neurally Mediated Hypotension) in April of 2018 and immediately put on medicine. The first medicine have me awful side effects, so I was switched to Fludrocortisone. This medicine has changed my life. I can not live without feeling like I'm sick all the time. The only times I feel sick now are when I forget my medicine, or I go too long between meals. The only negative side effect is, I've gained 14 pounds so far, which sucks, but it's better than the alternative.”

Weight Gain on Florinef December 6, 2016

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “Florinef has definitely helped the symptoms from POTS/Vasovagal Syncope. But what it has also done is create a steady weight gain to the tune of 25 lbs to which I'm miserable with. I've work with a nutritionist to prevent diabetes, I work out 5 times a week, and have not so much lost a pound of it. This drug has awful side effects for some of us, which for me is weight gain, and mood swings. I'm working to get off of it, assuming my adrenals don't crash from the prolonged use. These side effects of this medication for long term use are extremely dangerous and it shouldn't be on the market.”

Ladiva · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2018

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I had been having chest pain for months. Treated it with antibiotics twice and then steroids. Finally I saw my cardiologist who felt it was my out of control POTS. I went up to 0.2 mg and the chest pain went within a week. I am now down to 0.1 mg but I miss it I get the chest pain straight back. I also feel that my head is a great deal clearer. Less brain fog even though I had not been aware of it before.”

Mom · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 16, 2020

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I’ve been on fludrocortisone 0.1 for almost four years. It’s the only thing out there that helps me not feel like I’m about to die everyday. I suggest not taking any probiotics with it .. probiotics weakened my dose. I do have to sleep at an incline and drink extra water. Should take potassium and magnesium with it as well, to keep your heart from racing at night - POTS / Dysautonomias”

WheelsNZ November 15, 2014

Florinef Acetate (fludrocortisone) for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “Amazing. No noticeable effect on one 0.1mg, but docs doubled dose to 2tablets ie 0.2mg and it's amazing. Can sit up, walk, and haven't fainted since 0.2mg started. Trialed going to 0.1mg and a day and a half later, was back to dizzy, faint, tachy etc.”

POTSie Girl June 25, 2015

Florinef (fludrocortisone) for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I started taking florinef a few months ago and while I haven't noticed a difference, I believe it is keeping my symptoms from progressing. Before I went on it my body was on a downward fall but as soon as I started taking it everything was stable. It has made me gain about 5-10 pounds of water weight but it's not too bad. This drug along with my other medicine allows me to live my life better.”

simon the cat · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2013

For Dysautonomia: “After being a serious athlete my whole life and winning 10 k races last spring, I suddenly developed autonomic dysfunction (Dysautonomia) about two months ago at age 66. I am taking 0.1 mg Florinef per day, half before breakfast and half around noon. I am functioning much better with the medication. I also drink extra liquid and two 11 oz cans of V8 juice (920 mg Na per can) in morning. I have been able to continue working full time as a professor, something that I would not have been able to do without the medicine. Swimming is my only good option for aerobic exercise, so I am doing laps for 30 min 4 or 5 days a week.”

simplivin December 20, 2009

Florinef (fludrocortisone) for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I developed a rash and after testing at the NY Medical College and Vanderbilt Center for Dysautonomias, we found my blood volume was not low (often the case with POTS patients) and the mechanism that florinef acts upon.”

jlmc2016 · Taken for 10 years or more March 4, 2016

Florinef (fludrocortisone): “When I was in my early 20's I was always sick, weak-fainting-felt like a hangover or morning sickness 24/7 (even taking a shower was a huge event for me)....went through many test and other meds, until I started taking this. Worked great at stabilizing my body allowing me to live a normal life, no side effects really. Tried to wean myself off a few time, (or even if I forgot to take a pill), I would feel very very weak and short of breath, heart palpitation--kind of like a really bad hang over feeling. **side note--I had been on birth control since I was 18. Eventually I decided to stop taking BC (at 28 yrs old), and now have completely stopped taking Florinef...no struggle or signs of weakness/sickness. I am feeling great. It has been 1 mo”

Parsnips · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 20, 2020

For Addison's Disease: “I have Addison’s disease I always took hydrocortisone barely gave me back my life but relied upon it. Took Fludrocortisone 0.1 mg as a new prescription 1/2 am & 1/2 pm. Right away it made me feel very dizzy spinning around constantly like vertigo, nausea graduating to dry heaves to vomiting, my eyes felt like they were bulging out of my skull with eye/head pain white outs, and lastly I lost feeling or sensation everything was numb. I have been off meds almost a week and I still experience side effects. I did have more energy or feeling like a normal person but with all these constant reactions I was better off staying on Hydrocortisone 30 mg per day”

Middle Aged Guy · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 18, 2020

For Dysautonomia: “I've taken fludrocortisone for almost 10 years. It helps a lot with orthostatic hypotension. Questionable impact on breathlessness with exertion or mental fogginess. It does require monitoring blood pressure. The medicine can cause BP to be above normal, healthy levels.”

Mr. misdiagnosed · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 30, 2020

For Dysautonomia: “Started fludrocortisone .1mg 1/2 pill twice per day, first dose at breakfast then again around lunch. Stops the dizzy spells, orthostatic hypotension and lightheadedness while standing extremely well but did increase resting BP from picture perfect to high normal. It doesn’t do much for fatigue and I also take with hydrocortisone for the adrenal insufficiency.”

Potssux522 July 24, 2017

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I started on Florinef a few weeks ago. I'm noticeably doing better but not quite able to fully function like before. I have good days and bad days. I started on 0.2mg. Going to see if I can increase and if that will help. I'd like to be able to go back to work.”

Very misdiagnosed · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

For Addison's Disease: “Blood tests showed low aldosterone (Hypoaldosteronism) which had been causing dizziness so doctor added .1mg of fludrocortisone in addition to the hydrocortisone to combat fatigue associated with adrenal insufficiency. Slight headaches occasionally but blood pressure is still very normal overall.”

Anonymous July 29, 2009

Florinef Acetate (fludrocortisone) for Addison's Disease: “Works like a charm and I have zero side effects. I feel much better.”

Sarahrazor · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2014

Florinef Acetate (fludrocortisone) for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “It's my life saver, I was bed bound and in a wheel chair before using florinef! Now I can do physio and live a almost normal life!”

KimC71 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2014

Florinef (fludrocortisone) for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “Florinef has helped me out quite a bit. I'm not cured, but am better. I can walk up minor inclines without any problem. I am able to be up and active for longer periods of time.”

Karen · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2018

Florinef Acetate (fludrocortisone) for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I been on the .01mg for about a month so far been great I haven't had anymore more dizziness”

Anonymous August 21, 2011

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I have not been dizzy or fainted even once since the 4th day of taking Fludrocortisone and Sodium Chloride. Works great for me so far.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 12, 2013

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “This medication has helped my Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome quite a bit. I get less flare-ups of POTS with this medication!”

Greywolfz · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 7, 2016

For Addison's Disease: “I have found that I have had no side effects from this & it has helped me greatly...”

Anonymous August 10, 2010

Florinef (fludrocortisone) for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: “I have taken this medicine along with Toprol-XL for a few years and it has helped A LOT! I think this medicine paired with Toprol-XL is great!”

Lulu · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 24, 2018

For Dysautonomia: “I took this drug for around 1 year. I am in my early 20s. While taking it I developed pneumonia and chronic yeast infections. Awful experience. Don't take it”